Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Time to blow out not so Supercat 
True Bobcat Fan

Post Re: Time to blow out not so Supercat
ArtyCat0811 wrote:
I know I am always in the minority opinion here but HOW CAN YOU NOT like the old white and maroon helmets?????

because those aren't our colors, to start with.

Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:48 am
True Bobcat Fan

This is my opinion.

We need a gold helmet with maroon supercat. The picture above is a good example, just make the gold more metallic. (Although the flat gold is cool too)

Then we need a maroon helmet with gold supercat. (The chrome gold supercat would look good)

Don't like white helmets unless it's an away game and we're going storm trooper white out style.

Basically my only complaint is not using gold more in our uniforms and helmets and updating the gold from an old gold/vegas gold to a more metallic gold.

Everything else can stay the way it is.

Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:53 am
True Bobcat Fan

GMAN wrote:
Unfortunately, the youth like the multiple uni options. Heck, even the NFL has more than home and away options. It's a sign of the times.

Yes, but teams like UT and Alabama still attract top talent without changing their uniform design or throwing out a ton of uni options. If you win, no one cares what you wear.

Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:54 am
True Bobcat Fan

TXSTRiverBobcat wrote:
GMAN wrote:
Unfortunately, the youth like the multiple uni options. Heck, even the NFL has more than home and away options. It's a sign of the times.

Yes, but teams like UT and Alabama still attract top talent without changing their uniform design or throwing out a ton of uni options. If you win, no one cares what you wear.

Very True, but the examples that we could all think of, are well established programs that have a long tradition. Heck, our new school name has been around less than 20 years. I hope a recruit is looking at more that the uni options when selecting a school, but if we have any extra "sauce", then we should do it. I'm all for Gold, Maroon and Black (around and after the Nealy and Wassom era's).

~flag~ ~flag~
~flag~ ~flag~

Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:02 pm
True Bobcat Fan

we should have 1 home and 1 away uniform - the same, consistent look for 10 games (5/5).
1 home alternate, 1 away alternate, for whatever reason, 2 games a year.

changing uniforms every damn game is a beating, and it is the direct opposite of building brand identity. (that's for you folks who didn't like the throwbacks, but like 12 different uniforms a year)

Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:07 pm
True Bobcat Fan

When the supercat was first introduced, I was not a fan. It seemed too derivative and "me too," but it's really grown on me, and based on the number of them I see in traffic between Austin and San Antonio, I'd say it's been one of our more successful efforts.

The colors, dunno. I like the old colors, and the new gold isn't my favorite, but I don't dislike it.

Any time, effort, and money we could spend on changing any of it would probably be better spent on getting some more awareness for the program, and maybe a talent search for someone to run the damn video screens at the games.

Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:26 pm
True Bobcat Fan

There's a reason schools like Oregon do what they do. Part of it is to sell merchandise, but the other part is that recruits like it.

Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:49 pm
SuperCat

Saul Goodman wrote:
ArtyCat0811 wrote:
I know I am always in the minority opinion here but HOW CAN YOU NOT like the old white and maroon helmets?????

because those aren't our colors, to start with.

I respectfully disagree, the school colors have always been Gold & Maroon, agreed 100%, BUT we have ALWAYS worn white as a primary color or accent since we started playing football, including our helmets (I've really looked into the old yearbooks/pics to make my repro helmets).
We wore White helmets with maroon stripes/logos for 28 years, so I consider White as part of our "Football History" after that long, even if its an accent color (and its the helmet color of our best years/teams).
Finally check out the university's web site, we have several accent colors, perhaps to many, but lets not use them. https://www.umarketing.txstate.edu/brand/colors
Perhaps we just keep the uniforms we have, winning will make any uniforms look great and I DO agree with other posts: lets not go the Oregan route and NO CHROME HELMETS EVER!!!!!!

Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:54 pm
True Bobcat Fan

that's fine and all, but you asked how someone couldn't like them, so i answered. helmets should be a team color. i am struggling to even think of a team that uses white helmets, but doesn't have white as a primary school color.

Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:49 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Saul Goodman wrote:
that's fine and all, but you asked how someone couldn't like them, so i answered. helmets should be a team color. i am struggling to even think of a team that uses white helmets, but doesn't have white as a primary school color.

Permanently or as a variant? Obviously there are tons of variants.

As far as more permanent use. I think Florida uses white pretty often, and i'd consider their primary colors blue and orange...

Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:56 pm
True Bobcat Fan

permanent. of course alt unis will include white sometimes.

florida may use white every now and then, but i would hardly call it "pretty often". as far as i can tell, they wore white lids once this year, and that was an all-white look for them. edit: looks like they used white lids 3x last year, and 1 was a throwback w/ the F on them. and maybe once in 2016. what is that...5 of 37 games?

i will say though, after scrolling through their equipment twitter, that they have the SWEETEST cleats in college football. a cleat version of the jordan 11s w/ gloss blue bottoms and white uppers. good lord those are pretty kicks!

Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:05 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Saul Goodman wrote:
permanent. of course alt unis will include white sometimes.

florida may use white every now and then, but i would hardly call it "pretty often". as far as i can tell, they wore white lids once this year, and that was an all-white look for them. edit: looks like they used white lids 3x last year, and 1 was a throwback w/ the F on them. and maybe once in 2016. what is that...5 of 37 games?

i will say though, after scrolling through their equipment twitter, that they have the SWEETEST cleats in college football. a cleat version of the jordan 11s w/ gloss blue bottoms and white uppers. good lord those are pretty kicks!

Yeah, definitely don't care enough to argue about what "pretty often" means. But they use white and it's not a primary color.

Equipment is definitely an art. I like teams that subtly change it up. Maryland i think often does a good job. As for our team, I think they did a good job with the unis this year.

Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:50 pm
True Bobcat Fan

chockyy wrote:
But they use white and it's not a primary color.

as an alternate, not a primary. the original point was that the base helmets should be one of the school's colors. florida's base helmet is orange and their alternate is white most of the time (they slip in a blue one every now and then as well).

Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:58 pm
True Bobcat Fan

chockyy wrote:
Maryland i think often does a good job.

tons of people hate maryland's unis but i dig them. there are not many states that love their flag as much as texans (colorado may be in this group as well), but md definitely does, and i love that they pimp it hard in their unis.

Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:00 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Saul Goodman wrote:
chockyy wrote:
But they use white and it's not a primary color.

as an alternate, not a primary. the original point was that the base helmets should be one of the school's colors. florida's base helmet is orange and their alternate is white most of the time (they slip in a blue one every now and then as well).

Ah ok, that's not quite what you said, but if that's your point it makes sense - If a team wears a certain color , at some point, that color probably became one of their primary colors. So yeah, it would be odd to see a team say their colors are green and blue for example and then play every game in some other color helmet.

Edit:
Saul Goodman wrote:
tons of people hate maryland's unis but i dig them. there are not many states that love their flag as much as texans (colorado may be in this group as well), but md definitely does, and i love that they pimp it hard in their unis.

I agree. I also like that they put turtle textures on things.

Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:21 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next