Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 290 days from today we face Texas A & M at home... 
True Bobcat Fan

Post Re: 290 days from today we face Texas A & M at home...
i'm well aware. the point i was making is that it has no relevance to the conversation, or game, whatsoever. when we played florida state, i don't recall anyone mentioning that they are an acc team just out of the blue like that, or that ohio was a mac team for no reason at all, or that being a member of the b1g was any reason at all to worry extra about rutgers. there is no transitive power to being in a conference.

Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:34 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Saul Goodman wrote:
i find it humorous that folks refer to a&m as "an sec team" as if they are any different from when they were "a big 12 team" or "a swc team". switching conferences didn't give them magical powers.

Would you prefer I used the term "P5" team?

I was making note of their budget, which I THINK SEC leads the way in spending.

Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:49 pm
True Bobcat Fan

i guess so? or how about...texas a&m. not sure why a conference's budget has anything to do with the team we're playing, but whatever... i did have a laugh at your completely backwards hyperbole comment, so that was entertaining.

Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:56 pm
Junior Bobcat

x wrote:

Records vs. those teams. Only counting since we've become FBS (so games like 2005 vs. GS not included):
UTSA - 0-3
USA - 2-2
GS - 0-3
App - 0-3
Louisiana - 0-6
ULM - 2-4
A-State - 1-4
Troy - 0-3

That's probably even worse than you thought. 5-28 vs. those teams you mentioned since 2013.

Yeeeshhh, this sucks. This seems like information that should be on the fireteis.com site for added ammunition. Add it to the pile...

Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:03 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Saul Goodman wrote:
i guess so? or how about...texas a&m. not sure why a conference's budget has anything to do with the team we're playing, but whatever... i did have a laugh at your completely backwards hyperbole comment, so that was entertaining.

If one team has a significantly larger budget than another team, you don't see how that would be a competitive advantage?

And what was backwards about the hyperbole comment? They spend a huge amount on coaches, and our budget (relative to them) is small. How is that backwards?

Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:15 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

TheRevSWT wrote:

And what was backwards about the hyperbole comment? They spend a huge amount on coaches, and our budget (relative to them) is small. How is that backwards?

Don't fall for it Rev, don't fall for it. It's an endless rabbit hole with him. Don't follow that rabbit hole!

Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:19 pm
True Bobcat Fan

TheRevSWT wrote:
If one team has a significantly larger budget than another team, you don't see how that would be a competitive advantage?

team is the key word - conference has nothing to do w/ it.

TheRevSWT wrote:

because it wasn't really a hyperbolic statement at all, as they are committed to a ridiculous amount of money with that staff. backwards because jimbo's contract alone dwarfs our budget, although that probably isn't a great word for it - mea culpa. yes, i'm aware of the years, but it's also guaranteed - there is no out for a&m, because they don't have the kind of lawyers we do. there's also the coaching money that they had to pay out for sumlin to not coach for them...because of those bad lawyers, right taxi?

Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:42 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Ok, now stick with me on this... Would you say schools with similar budgets tend to be in the same conference?

I mean, you don't see a school with... say a $50M budget in the SEC, right? Likewise, you don't see a school with a 500M budget in the Sun Belt?

The SEC, on average, has the highest budget in college football. So, when I said an SEC team, I was being straight. ANY SEC team we lose to, I am not gonna get up in arms over. It's not just A&M I am referencing.

Now, full disclosure, I should have used P5 school, because I don't think we get anywhere near the budget for ANY P5 school, but the point is no less valid as I said it.

Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:52 pm
True Bobcat Fan

ehhhh, not so much. the conference means squat. vandy doesn't spend what bama does. kansas doesn't spend what texas does. washington state doesn't spend what oregon does. the p5 doesn't even really matter. what matters for your argument is tamu spends a lot and we don't. that's all. the sunbelt isn't playing the sec, txst is playing tamu.

Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:56 pm
True Bobcat Fan

This is definitely this most ridiculous nit-picking of the week.

'grats to all involved.

Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:03 pm
True Bobcat Fan

more ridiculous than digging the ol coach for something he did 3 years ago?

Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:06 pm
True Bobcat Fan

It was a close call.

Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:18 pm
True Bobcat Fan

alright then, take em where you can get em!

Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:04 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Where can we purchase tickets for this game right now that isn't on the open market via stubhub, etc? $150 or so gets 3rd deck at Kyle field on a 3rd party site. Can they be purchased through the bobcat club or alumni association? Did TAMU even give us a ticket allotment? Getting Arkansas tickets were fairly easy and reasonable and I'm sure Florida State wasn't any different. But again this isn't either of those schools.

Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:24 pm
True Bobcat Fan

A&M will send an allotment for TXST to sell. Who knows how many, when they go on sale, or how much though.

Buying through TXST helps the school look better (selling higher allotment of away tickets looks good to opposing teams and bowls) but not always the cheapest route.

Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:29 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next