My perspective 
Junior Bobcat

Post My perspective
I' ve been around SWT/TXSTATE since 93. and I appreciate opinions on here. Here is what I think.

Larry Teis has to go! I have had many conversations with him over the years and actually at time like talking to him. He has however become more and more a politician that is vague in his conversations and appears to now just be here to collect a paycheck. I will give him credit where credit is due. He has gotten our facilities vastly improved from when I started school in San Marcos. He has run a clean program without having any major violations or large scandals. The academic success has improved greatly during his tenure. All these are very well appreciated. However, The men's programs as a whole, except Track and cross country are unacceptable.
I do not have one problem with the success of our women's programs except tennis. Volleyball has really improved to the point that we are on the verge of being a top 25 team this year. Women's basketball has slowly improved in the quality of the program. yes we have been up and down but overall I have no problem. Softball has been successful and been consistently. Women's golf has been competitive at times so there is no problem there. Track and cross country have represented TXSTATE very well. Soccer has been competitive since it's inception. Tennis is in my opinion has been the only women's sport that has had a history of being not up to par with what should be expected. As a whole I would say the women's sports have been a very respected representative for TEXAS STATE.
Men's sports except Track/Cross Country has been an absolute dumpster fire. Football has been on a downhill slide for YEARS. To me it started with the hiring of Matsakis. He was not hired by Teis but he got us onto probation with the NCAA and caused Trauth to fire him as well as the AD at the time. This brings us to the Teis era. We've had 2 good seasons since. Both coaches that showed some success were run off because they saw what needed to be done to improve the program and Teis/School did not want to commit to improvements. Teis then hired a getting ready to retire retread of a coach that had a "name." However Franchione has never really won anywhere. So we hired him because of his "Name." During his watch the program just floundered due to micromanagement as well as a lack of discipline. He finally "retired" and left a program with no pride or discipline for someone else to fix. We hire Withers to come in and change the culture around the football program. This is not and will not be a quick fix. It is not an easy job to do. The only way to properly fix the culture and program is to burn it to the ground and start from scratch. Although I like all of bobcat nation am growing impatient, I do see baby steps being taken with the program. I absolutely do not agree with everything that has been done and some of the methods that have been used, however I keep reminding myself to let it play out and see what happens. Losing absolutely drives me crazy. However, in the long run I am hopeful the end product will be what I want to see. I want the football team to cost me some money having to go to a damn bowl game!
Men's basketball has never been consistently successful and I'm not sure it ever will. We have a coach that has been successful in the past but his style of play seems to inhibit good players from attending our school. Ill be the first to admit that I am not a big fan of basketball but the results speak for themselves.
Baseball has absolutely gone down the toilet. It is a disgrace to be in the state of Texas with the recruits available and have a baseball program that struggles every year to reach a .500 record. More so then football, changes have to be made to the baseball program. We have probably the second best facility in the Sun Belt. The problems arise from the fact that our coach is someone that coaches don't want to coach with and players don't want to play for. Since Harrington has been here(19 years), we have been to the NCAA regionals THREE times. Once was when he had the other coaches players in his first year including a first round draft pick on the mound(2000 Blake Williams) and twice since(2009 with a perennial MLB ALL STAR Paul Goldschmidt, 2011). Other then those years we have struggled to stay above .500. No coaches stay for more then a couple of years before moving on to most of the time lateral positions. Some examples are a pitching coach that uprooted his family to leave Texas for the first time in his life for a lateral move to try to set himself up for a head coaching job because he knew it wouldn't come from here. One left his family in Texas to take a regional scouting job for one year just to get out of here. He then moved his family to Arkansas to coach for a sunbelt rival the next year. That's a heck of a price to pay for a family because the bread winner could not take working for a head coach any more. A third assistant coach left because of the same reason and uprooted his family to move to Houston after buying a house in the area the year before and took a job outside of coaching that causes him to be away from his family more then ever. In recent years we have had many, many players transfer to other schools because of a lack of trust and a lack of desire to play for the head coach. Most of them had very good careers at other schools like Baylor, Oklahoma and Arkansas. The direction of the baseball program also has to change!
The common theme to the problems is in the athletic directors office as there are no expectations voiced to the head coaches to have successful programs on the field or court. Teis needs to not only run a program without scandal but also a program that strives for success during there seasons. That is the reason that we need new blood in the athletic director's office. We need a new Athletic director to come in assess the programs for what needs to be done so we have an athletic program at Texas State that we can all be proud of. We need to start at the top and work our way down. You cant let the same leader just fire and hire and grasp at straws or you just get a revolving door and it goes around and around. Damn that felt good! thank God I have the afternoon off and will now go have a cold beer!

Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:38 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Post Re: My perspective
Agreed.

Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:39 pm
Junior Bobcat

Very well stated. I feel that day by day the #FireTeis movement grows stronger and more and more alums are catching wind of it. There are so many disgruntled alums out there that have just given up on TXST. We need new leadership to lead us in the right direction and win back our Alums and instill pride back into our great University.

Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:20 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

That's an impressive wall of text that I'm just not going to read. Just based on your passion, I'm just going to assume I agree with you! :sign:

I respectfully disagree with time on the internet being "wasted." I would've never known that a monkey would fall over after smelling his own, stinky finger if it wasn't for the glory of the internet.

Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:02 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

bobcatforlife19 wrote:
He has however become more and more a politician that is vague in his conversations and appears to now just be here to collect a paycheck.

I have never had a conversation with the Good Dr but cannot fathom there was ever a time when the above was anything different.

Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:11 pm
Bobcat Wannabe

Here's my two cents. I started at Texas State in 2003, when it was the first class to go fully through as Texas State. College was exciting but the football wasn't. Those Manny Matsakis days and the stupid "Triple Shoot" offense that the announcer would always say whenever the offense took the field was just utterly disappointing. Then came 2005. That was an exciting time. Nealy was just a polarizing player to watch and there was a different "air" around the campus, primarily because we were winning, but the pride that was being shown around campus and at the tailgates and games was awesome! Then "the knee" happened. I was at that game and couldn't believe what had just happened. Sitting in the student section, drunk as hell with all the other students, we were all in disbelief. But that's because we knew we were capable of so much more. And even though we were all pissed, there was still so much pride for what our team had done that year and so much hope for what a great season like that would do for the future. I was excited for the future of our athletic program and, in particular, when we moved up to FBS because I knew the potential State has. But in recent years, its been difficult to watch. I'm a proud Bobcat, and that is why I'm frustrated. These past couple of years have been brutal. I'm not saying that we need to live in the past of 2005, we shouldn't. But we need to build off the successes of our past and always strive to do better and be better than we were before.

That's where Larry Teis comes in. It's so frustrating to hear your Athletic Director talk about "progress" by decreasing the margin of losses every year...well three years ago we lost by 20, two years ago 18, last year 5 or whatever it was. That's just straight bullshit and, at least for me, doesn't instill any confidence that our top guy in the Athletic Department gets it. Yes, I know it was a complete overhaul of the football program, and yes I understand that it takes time, for the most part, to see results under a new coach with new recruits, etc. But what gets me are his pitiful attempts at giving a damn. I'm a realist. I know at this point it would take something monumental to have him removed as AD. But I also feel there needs to be some accountability. It starts at the top. Same with Withers. IF Withers believes that another 2-6 or even if he gets up to say 4 wins is acceptable, he's delusional. Yeah we have lost some close games, and yes our record could be a hell of a lot different, but fact is, it's not and in my opinion, changes should me made. It just seems like it's not working out. And not just on the field. Media and Fan/Alumni relations as well. Both Teis and Withers should be doing everything in their power to brand the school and create an excitement and draw people in, not push them away...I know I'm just venting and I'm realistic knowing that there's a small chance that what we say and do may actually bring about change, but I have hope. Texas State could be great and competitive in all sports, just need to keep believing that change will happen and we get the right people in place... :cat:

Last edited by TxBobcat07 on Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:50 am
True Bobcat Fan

Are you against paragraphs?

Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:00 pm
Bobcat Wannabe

txstlinds wrote:
Are you against paragraphs?

Edited just for you, complete with paragraph separation... :-||

Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:38 pm
True Bobcat Fan

TxBobcat07 wrote:
Here's my two cents. I started at Texas State in 2003, when it was the first class to go fully through as Texas State. College was exciting but the football wasn't. Those Manny Matsakis days and the stupid "Triple Shoot" offense that the announcer would always say whenever the offense took the field was just utterly disappointing.

Ha! How about "Sharks in the Water" defense!?! By the way our DC that year(2003), Ron Roberts, is ULL's DC.

The SuperCat is the only good thing to come out of the Matsakis era.

Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:31 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Matsakis did get us Barrick Nealy through, shall we say, questionable recruiting practices.

He also served as fodder for a number of excellent jokes about him as well as the Soda Jerk AD that we had at the time (which ultimately led to the hiring of LT to clean up the mess).

I respectfully disagree with time on the internet being "wasted." I would've never known that a monkey would fall over after smelling his own, stinky finger if it wasn't for the glory of the internet.

Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:20 am