Woods Presser 
SuperCat

Post Woods Presser
I thought coach Woods gave an excellent press conference, all things considered. He is in a tough spot but answered all questions and said the all the right things. I don't believe anything shocking was said, asked if he would be interested in the head coaching job and gave good diplomatic answer.

Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:02 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Post Re: Woods Presser
I thought so too. I think he can get our guys ready to compete on Saturday and that's all we can hope for at this point. I was a little surprised at how poised he actually was during the presser. Definitely did a good job.

Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:09 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Fields will like him because he's white.

(I kid)

Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:39 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

I asked this question on another thread that immediately derailed into he usual tirades.
Can anyone answer this question?

well, I am not certain about this, but reports are that Teis was not even present for presser. TYPICAL!!! Maybe it is a sign of his release. If ever an AD should have been present and at the podium, this was the time. Can someone confirm this?

The presser is worth a listen. DC Woods did a very professional job. Withers used coach speak after coach speak. Under the circumstances, Woods was very well spoken.

Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:41 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Canaquedista Man wrote:
well, I am not certain about this, but reports are that Teis was not even present for presser. TYPICAL!!! Maybe it is a sign of his release. If ever an AD should have been present and at the podium, this was the time. Can someone confirm this?

I don't blame Teis for not showing up to this presser. If he did, all focus would be on him, creating a further distraction. By letting Woods run the show, he was able to answer a question or two about the "promotion" and then focus on the game.

Now, Teis should have held a little press conference, or coordinated with KTSW or Keff, or someone to have a brief Q&A that could be released today to address some of those questions.

And it should be noted, I don't think Teis has ever attended those press conferences (could be wrong though).

Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:51 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Well this time, I absolutely blame Teis for not being there. I get that he doesn't usually show up, but this is a time leadership is needed and to be visible and as usual, he either doesn't know or doesn't care to bother.

Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:11 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Woods did a really good job today. He did a good job all year at defensive coordinator as well.

Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:13 pm
Junior Bobcat

I agree that Teis' presence was not necessary. Maybe to have him in the back for support, sure. But this presser was regarding Ark St and the football team, not for Teis to take questions about the program as a whole.

Woods did a fantastic job, gave real answers, and you could tell AJ was still upset and very emotional.

That being said, next Monday there should absolutely be a presser by Teis about the program as a whole. But I'm sure the chances of that are next to none.

Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:33 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Question: When head coaches are fired is it customary to send out a written press release or is a presser by the AD the norm? I am not referring to what occurs at this shit show, but at other G5 conferences.

Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:49 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

ArtyCat0811 wrote:
I thought coach Woods gave an excellent press conference, all things considered. He is in a tough spot but answered all questions and said the all the right things. I don't believe anything shocking was said, asked if he would be interested in the head coaching job and gave good diplomatic answer.

I was really impressed with him also. Gave very direct and honest answers. I wouldn't mind him being extended to stay as DC by the new head coach. Doubt he gets a serious look at the top spot though....even though he looks polished enough to handle it.

Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:25 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Canaquedista Man wrote:
Question: When head coaches are fired is it customary to send out a written press release or is a presser by the AD the norm? I am not referring to what occurs at this shit show, but at other G5 conferences.

100% both - immediate press release, followed up by a press conference w/i 24/48hrs. and unless i've missed it, nothing at all from the university. not so much as a tweet?

Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:58 pm
True Bobcat Fan

They issued a press release Sunday afternoon probably an hour after the news broke. No press conference obviously though.

As to Woods:
I was extremely impressed with the press conference. He's a really personable, likable guy. The players really seem to like him too from what you can see as an outsider. I've been impressed all season long with what he's done on the field with the defense (Troy game probably being his magnum opus last weekend), now I'm impressed with how he can handle himself off the field as well.

I'll admit, I wasn't thrilled at all when we hired Woods just by perusing his background. I thought we could have found a more experienced DC. But he's far exceeded my expectations. I know it's a long shot, as new head coaches typically don't come into a new place and keep a coordinator, but man I'd love for him to somehow be back next year as the DC. A: he's done a great job this year, and B: we return literally every starter and I think every player off the 2-deep even except for Sami Awad. A handful of these guys are graduates that I'm worried about losing now with a new staff coming in. Woods gives us a better chance of those guys sticking around for one more season and has proven he can be successful with the defensive personnel.

Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:15 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

x wrote:
They issued a press release Sunday afternoon probably an hour after the news broke. No press conference obviously though.

As to Woods:
I was extremely impressed with the press conference. He's a really personable, likable guy. The players really seem to like him too from what you can see as an outsider. I've been impressed all season long with what he's done on the field with the defense (Troy game probably being his magnum opus last weekend), now I'm impressed with how he can handle himself off the field as well.

I'll admit, I wasn't thrilled at all when we hired Woods just by perusing his background. I thought we could have found a more experienced DC. But he's far exceeded my expectations. I know it's a long shot, as new head coaches typically don't come into a new place and keep a coordinator, but man I'd love for him to somehow be back next year as the DC. A: he's done a great job this year, and B: we return literally every starter and I think every player off the 2-deep even except for Sami Awad. A handful of these guys are graduates that I'm worried about losing now with a new staff coming in. Woods gives us a better chance of those guys sticking around for one more season and has proven he can be successful with the defensive personnel.

I wholeheartedly agree. Woods is good people and a solid coach based on first impression.

Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:20 am
True Bobcat Fan

x wrote:
I know it's a long shot, as new head coaches typically don't come into a new place and keep a coordinator, but man I'd love for him to somehow be back next year as the DC.

You're right that it's not typical, but I do not think it is all that uncommon. I'm sure a little research would reveal a handful of examples. i would like to see it because it would provide a little continuity in the upheaval.

Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:26 am