Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 An insiders prespective... 
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Post Re: An insiders prespective...
Didn't you say like 3 weeks ago that Withers has lost the team?

That's a huge flip in statements.

Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:05 am
True Bobcat Fan

Bobcatfan300 wrote:
I would imagine Elliott has 4 games to show his worth in play calling and game planning. In my opinion Antione may be the only offensive hold over we have.

Someone asked if the kids would be open to a new HC, I think they just want to win. I personally think EW is doing a good job and I'd like to see him get at least one more year

Seriously . . . You think that two years of 2-10, and the likelihood of another 2-10 season is : "EW doing a God job."

Jesus you've set your expectations delightfully LOW.

Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:28 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Bobcatfan300 wrote:
I would imagine Elliott has 4 games to show his worth in play calling and game planning. In my opinion Antione may be the only offensive hold over we have.

Someone asked if the kids would be open to a new HC, I think they just want to win. I personally think EW is doing a good job and I'd like to see him get at least one more year

I know it's a different type of animal, but with all the recent NFL mid-season firings I don't see how a college coach that goes 2-10 three seasons in a row warrants or deserves another year. We've seen all we are going to see from a dysfunctional Withers coaching regime. It's time to pull the plug on a failed experiment, if not mid-season a la NFL, then for sure after the last game.

We are wasting time and resources digging a deeper hole than what needs to be dug for the future of the program. Enough moral victories.

Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:31 am
True Bobcat Fan

Bobcatfan300 wrote:
. I personally think EW is doing a good job and I'd like to see him get at least one more year

Explain what aspects of the program in which you believe he is doing a good job.

Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:32 pm
Junior Bobcat

Anybody that thinks withers is going anywhere after this year is wasting their breath. We have a bigger problem then our football coach. There is NO way the school will fire the AD and head football coach at the same time. It just doesn't make sense. Here is why:
1. We do not have the money on hand to do it. The school will not throw away over 1 million.
2. What needs to happen is to eat 327,000 and replace the AD and let him deal with expectations and improvement.
3. If there is no improvement next year then let the new AD deal with having to replace the coach.

To be honest, I don't think we will see the school(Trauth) do a damn thing. But just in case she does surprise us, I could see this happening over firing the coach without cause at this point and it would be firing him without cause. Just because he isn't liked is not cause for firing him. There has been no scandal/violations. firing without cause means you pay off the entire contract. Does anyone have a cool approx. 1.5 mill hanging around to donate?

Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:13 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

bobcatforlife19 wrote:
But just in case she does surprise us, I could see this happening over firing the coach without cause at this point and it would be firing him without cause. Just because he isn't liked is not cause for firing him. There has been no scandal/violations. firing without cause means you pay off the entire contract. Does anyone have a cool approx. 1.5 mill hanging around to donate?

Been a while since I looked at Withers' contract, but I don't think it's a total payout of the contract. It's some reduced amount (and I want to say that taxman, or run faster or saul or someone else put it at like... ~700k maybe?).

And I would like to think there is some clause in the contract that includes improvement of the team in terms of wins or at least some sort of base after year X. I doubt that was in there (never seen a contract like that before, but I've only seen two and those were a few years ago), but still... I'd like to see one like that.

Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:19 pm
True Bobcat Fan

it's half what's owed. $737,500

Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:27 pm
True Bobcat Fan

bobcatforlife19 wrote:
2. What needs to happen is to eat 327,000 and replace the AD and let him deal with expectations and improvement.
3. If there is no improvement next year then let the new AD deal with having to replace the coach.

Yes, that is what needs to happen. This is what any other university in the nation would do in our current situation (except maybe Maryland... :shock:).

However, I don't see it happening. We need a new President that will bring in their own AD to clean house. Trauth just needs to retire already!

Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:35 pm
True Bobcat Fan

BTW, if we fire the AD this year and let the new AD assess Withers performance next year, the buyout goes down to just 375K.

Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:39 pm
True Bobcat Fan

TXSTRiverBobcat wrote:
BTW, if we fire the AD this year and let the new AD assess Withers performance next year, the buyout goes down to just 375K.

That's one hell of a fire sale. Im down for one more year of EW under another AD.

Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:30 pm
True Bobcat Fan

josh_ooh_ahh wrote:
That's one hell of a fire sale. Im down for one more year of EW under another AD.

This is what i'd love to see. Get rid of the cheaper option this year (Larry) and then Everett next year. I'm still banking on both being here August 2019. Maybe things get bad enough they fire mid-season next year. My memory sucks, but have we fired any head FB coach mid-season? Can't recall that we have.

Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:45 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

bobcatforlife19 wrote:

To be honest, I don't think we will see the school(Trauth) do a damn thing. But just in case she does surprise us, I could see this happening over firing the coach without cause at this point and it would be firing him without cause. Just because he isn't liked is not cause for firing him. There has been no scandal/violations. firing without cause means you pay off the entire contract. Does anyone have a cool approx. 1.5 mill hanging around to donate?

A less than 10% job performance success rate would hardly qualify as "without cause" for a head coach, and we won't even touch the near 50% employee (coaching) turnover under his tenure. Either one of those by themselves would definitely be "for cause". You also forget that Texas is an at-will state, any employer can release any employee for any reason. That means that Teis could potentially walk into Withers office today if he so desired and say "I just don't feel you are the right fit upon further evaluation" and it's done.

And thinking Trauth or the BOR would release an AD that (by normal performance standards, not whinny "we're not winning at football or Men's basketball only" metric) is doing a good job over releasing a failing football coach is myopic and cloud-nine thinking.

Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:27 pm
SuperCat

Bobcat.taxman wrote:
That means that Teis could potentially walk into Withers office today if he so desired and say "I just don't feel you are the right fit upon further evaluation" and it's done.

Yep, and Withers would be owed the rest of his contract at that point.

Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:46 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Bobcat.taxman wrote:
You also forget that Texas is an at-will state, any employer can release any employee for any reason. That means that Teis could potentially walk into Withers office today if he so desired and say "I just don't feel you are the right fit upon further evaluation" and it's done.

incorrect. the man has a contract w/ specifics on what he can/can't be fired for, and what the compensation is for each. at-will state has nothing to do w/ this situation.

Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:04 pm
True Bobcat Fan

TXSTRiverBobcat wrote:
(except maybe Maryland... :shock:)

@BruceFeldmanCFB
BREAKING -- DJ Durkin fired as #Maryland head coach.

Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:34 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next