An insiders prespective... 
Bobcat Wannabe

Post An insiders prespective...
So by now many of you have seen that I have some knowledge of what is going on from inside the football program. I'd like to give you my thoughts and my sons thoughts of Coach withers. Take it or leave it, I need to put this out there!

First and foremost I believe Coach Withers cares about these kids and is doing a great job of leading this program given the limited financing and budget concerns he is dealing with. The kids genuinely like coach Withers and I believe he is doing the best he can do. It won't matter who our head coach is, if we don't put $ into our football program and continue to upgrade facilities and coaches salaries we will never be able to compete at the level we all want to compete at.

I personally think Withers isn't the problem at all. The offensive coaching staff is killing the program. Coach Kuhr is incopitent and can't lead the offense. Apparently Coach Elliott was given the keys to the car but is still running the same stuff. My son tells me they add 50 new plays a week and then they never call what they run in practice. iMO they need to scrap this entire offense, fire the entire offensive staff and start new.

Withers isn't going anywhere so let's try to fix the problem instead of bitching about something that isn't going to change.

Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:45 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Post Re: An insiders prespective...
Yeah, I don't think this is going to go the way you expect it to.

For multiple reasons.

Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:09 pm
Bobcat Wannabe

If that's true, then it's on Withers for not fixing the situation or replacing the OC long before it got to this point.

$hit rolls down hill but change comes from the top.

Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:26 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Some free advice as someone that has posted on here for a long time and has seen parents of student athletes engage off & on: be very careful that you don't inadvertently share identifiable information that would reveal who you are. You want him to have deniability. Also keep your antenna up as to whether something he is sharing with you might be potentially known ONLY to him, as that could "out" you & him.

This also recognizes that we will not know your identity and, therefore, it will take some time to likely establish credibility. Don't take this personally. It was easier in the past when we had a fully-engaged site administrator that could vouch when necessary.

That being said... your description of the situation on offense is consistent with what many of us observe from the stands/livestreams, and what a few of my friends involved in high school coaching have observed from the stands/livestreams. Basically, there is no consistent offensive philosophy, no functional offensive game plan and no focus on quality of execution. I genuinely feel sorry for our defense, as I have for several seasons now. The comparison I've used is when you go to a restaurant and they have 50 items on the menu covering American, Italian, Tex-Mex, Seafood and Asian: if you see a menu this broad with no focus, you know none of the meals are good or fresh. If you see a menu with a fairly consistent theme and more limited options, then you know the focus is on quality and that even the simplest dish will be well-executed and delicious.

Georgia Southern does this perfectly with their offense hyper-focused on the option, though Texas State does have personal experience with Georgia Southern employing a pass option with lethal success. They do a handful of things really, really well. App State is known for exceptional offensive discipline and attention to detail, which is why they simply don't turnover the ball unless they get down to a 3rd string QB apparently. App State also has a fairly confined playbook (I would call it curated if we were talking art collection). They are balanced between run & pass, but they don't have just a ton of plays they go to with regularity. A lot of their playbook is similar plays run out of multiple looks. Satterfield (and his offensive coordinators) does a good job of paying attention to what works and adjusting, and the coaches are known for listening to what his players see on the field. App ran out of luck against Georgia Southern with injuries and what-not, and quite a collection of interceptions as they got down to a 3rd string QB.

The thing is, the buck stops with Withers. As head coach, it is on him to clean the offensive house and hire appropriately. He has simply been unable to do that, to the point I think he is potentially unqualified to be hiring offensive coaches. He has been here long enough to diagnose and correct his own mistakes in hiring, but he hasn't.

I would put App State's offensive coordinator Frank Ponce on my short list to at least interview as a replacement for Withers. While he doesn't have Texas recruiting background, he comes from the high school ranks in Florida (instant credibility with Texas high school coaches) and has been stellar at both FIU and Appy with recruiting and coaching up talent.

I respectfully disagree with time on the internet being "wasted." I would've never known that a monkey would fall over after smelling his own, stinky finger if it wasn't for the glory of the internet.

Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:34 pm
True Bobcat Fan

No one will ever succeed with an argument based on money. We have a much larger budget than most of our sun belt peers and are still underperforming.

If your argument is that we aren't competing with teams like UCF and Houston, then yea you would have a valid argument. We aren't paying our coaches enough and don't have the facilities to compete year in and year out with those teams right now. The sun belt however, we are absolutely funding the program enough to expect a winning program and a program that competes for the conference championship every year like AppSt, Georgia Southern, Arkansas State, etc.

Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:37 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Bobcatfan300 wrote:
It won't matter who our head coach is, if we don't put $ into our football program and continue to upgrade facilities and coaches salaries we will never be able to compete at the level we all want to compete at.

While I agree the support is lacking from a university of our size and the donor base isn't where we'd like it to be from an alumni base of our size (both in terms of # of donors and dollars), I don't think you can point to $ as a serious issue this staff is facing in relation to our peers in the Sun Belt.

Our facilities are among the best in the league, are frequently improving, and our students fork over more than enough $ for the program to be far more successful in the Sun Belt Conference than it has been.

Texas State's athletic budget is about $36 million. ULMs is about $15 million. Didn't stop them from beating us two weeks ago. Or last year. Or two years ago....

Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:40 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Look at ULM... They have the smallest budget in the conference (maybe FBS), and are right now looking like the West's representative for the championship game.

Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:41 pm
Junior Bobcat

Bobcatfan300, I appreciate all the valuable info you post here but I’m not sure how you can put all of the blame on the offensive coaches and none on Withers. Isn’t it Withers’ responsibility as HC to hire a competent staff? Seems like he has failed at this part of the job.

That being said, my #1 wish is to replace Teis.

Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:44 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Larry Dance wrote:
If that's true, then it's on Withers for not fixing the situation or replacing the OC long before it got to this point.

100% - and for hiring those coaches in the 1st place.
bleed gold wrote:
Some free advice as someone that has posted on here for a long time and has seen parents of student athletes engage off & on: be very careful that you don't inadvertently share identifiable information that would reveal who you are.

couldn't agree more. teis and withers both despise the internet mob and these boards are read regularly.

i do appreciate the insight though, so thanks!

Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:46 pm
Bobcat Wannabe

I agree with what everyone is saying. I get it 100%

I appreciate the advice, I'm just saying what I know based on facts and based on what my son sees from Witherers and hears from the team. Those are the thinks I know.

As far as hiring a former HS coach from Florida and having instant credibility with Texas HS coaches I couldn't disagree any more. I'm sure there are plenty of guys with TEXAS TIES, that withers could hire.

Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:01 pm
True Bobcat Fan

May not agree with everything you said but thanks for posting. Hope you post more. :texasstate: And I agree with everyone else, buck stops at Everett. Would your son and the team be receptive to a new coaching staff? You see these staff turnovers and some kids don't want to buy into the new staff and half-ass it or leave. There's some decent talent on this team that'd look better with new coaches.

Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:17 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Going back all the way to 1984 Texas State has won (or tied for) a Conference Championship in football twice (2005 and 2008). To make sure that we are all on the same page we talking about two times in thirty four seasons.

I believe our Institutional problems run a bit deeper than who is our current OC/RB Coach.

Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:59 pm
True Bobcat Fan

I agree that if wither's were replaced the replacement should have texas ties.

Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:09 pm
Bobcat Wannabe

Any insight into Withers' awareness of this and how he plans to handle it? He's obviously not entirely blind to it, seeing as he made the change to Elliot, but there's clearly a lot more that needs to change.

Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:30 pm
Bobcat Wannabe

I would imagine Elliott has 4 games to show his worth in play calling and game planning. In my opinion Antione may be the only offensive hold over we have.

Someone asked if the kids would be open to a new HC, I think they just want to win. I personally think EW is doing a good job and I'd like to see him get at least one more year

Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:49 am