Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 192 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
 WWW.FireTeis.COM 
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Post Re: WWW.FireTeis.COM
If it can be swung... And that's a big if... Get an advertisement on the txstatebobcats.com page.

They SHOULDN'T allow it, but knowing how little those people pay attention, you might be able to sneak it through.

Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:34 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Ha ha, wow that would be hilarious. I could see that happening.

Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:25 pm
Bobcat Wannabe

KTSW keeping the pressure up.

https://ktswblog.net/2018/11/05/catchin ... cats-quad/

Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:45 am
True Bobcat Fan

Thanks for posting, DrumCat!

How telling is this article (and not at all surprising)....

I was not a Marketing Major, but I at least know that you have to start marketing from "within" as a start. Think of the students as your "employees". If your employees aren't excited about the "product" they believe in or stand behind, then how are they going to market/sell your product?

Don't want to get into the chicken or the egg debate of "why don't the students go to the games"?

Bottom line, is Time.

When I attended SWT, there was no tailgating at the stadium. I am Greek and we would tailgate at our fraternity house and the head to the games. We pretty much had our pick of where we wanted to sit in the upper deck..... Back to the "time" point.... Students will tailgate, because they feel that is a good use of their time and they will be entertained by their friends, food and music. Giving 3 hours of your time to watch your team lose, doesn't justify a good use of time, in the eyes of the students.

Now, I admit, I haven't been on campus since last summer, so I am going to make some assumptions.... There are no banners/signage on or around campus, promoting football or the upcoming games.

In 3 minutes, here's what the school/AD could do to promote the team:

-Text blast students 1-3 days before the next home game (free)
-Snapchat/youtube videos of notable players asking/encouraging students to attend the next home game (free)
-24X48 Banners throughout the school/campus by the library, Quad, every cafeteria, the cheese grater (blast from the past)....
-A HUGE banner on the side of the stadium facing Aquarena Springs, so everyone driving by sees the banner
-On Friday night, the night before a Sat game (unless there's a HS game using the field) light the stadium up with the regular lights or use the video boards to project a Maroon color. (Arkansas does this with red and it looks AWESOME when you are driving into town)

Again-how hard was this.

If we can get 8-12K students attending games, even more students will start going to games...

BUT.... The product on the field has to improve and that is 100% on the coaches/recruiters.

~flag~ ~flag~
~flag~ ~flag~

Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:32 am
SuperCat

Saw a banner on the stadium Monday night. Announcing the game this week.

Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:28 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

GMAN wrote:
If we can get 8-12K students attending games, even more students will start going to games...

Don't get me wrong, I don't disagree with anything you said... But 8-12k in student attendance is a tough sell.

That's what? almost 25% of the student body? I want to say Saul posted something a year or two ago that said even the most successful programs are getting like 10% of their students to attend.

That's a pretty high water mark for me. To me, they should be shooting for 5k in students every game.

They should be aiming at 5k in townies every game (offering free tickets, family discounts, packages etc. This is a low income town, so offering cheap/free entertainment on the weekend should be the focus for the townies).

The rest? That's on alumni.

Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:02 pm
True Bobcat Fan

GMAN wrote:
-A HUGE banner on the side of the stadium facing Aquarena Springs, so everyone driving by sees the banner

They have been hanging a banner on the side of the stadium for a few years now. They put it out the week of the game and it stays all the way through the middle of the game. Someone even posted a picture of it this past week I think.

In terms of student attendance. Even Alabama with a very similar sized student body, but winning National championships regularly struggles to get more than 10K students at their games. I did an analysis of it a few years back and they were averaging like 11K students a game in whatever year that was. I think it was 2015 or 2016. If a team that wins as much as Alabama with 38K students and a legitimate marketing program geared towards students and fans struggles to get 10K students to their games, then why should we be expecting it.

That was my only problem with that article. "The majority of fans at college football games are typically made up of students." Which is not true. Alabama for example averaged 101K last year and their students probably made up about 10% of that.

Most big universities fan attendance is made up of casual fans that are in the area and alumni. If we want to point fingers at any one group of fans, it needs to be the 180K living alumni. Including the majority of that located between Georgetown and San Antonio.

It all goes back to Teis though. You can't expect these alumni or even casual fans to show up if even the students that live on and around campus don't know anything about our team, schedule, or how we're doing.

Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:10 pm
True Bobcat Fan

TXSTRiverBobcat wrote:
If we want to point fingers at any one group of fans, it needs to be the 180K living alumni. Including the majority of that located between Georgetown and San Antonio.

ding!ding!ding!

although right now, marketing doesn't make a bit of difference. you can tell me how great your shit sandwich is 100 different ways on a dozen different platforms, but it's still a shit sandwich.

Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:25 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

I've always been of the mind that they need to make gameday more of a family event to draw in the alumni.

The idea being... Yeah, we suck right now, but the kids will have a blast with x/y/z, so come make a day of it in San Marcos and enjoy supporting your team.

Not sure how much traction you get with that, but it's better than the current approach of "hey, we're having a game."

Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:47 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Thanks again for the insight of not being on campus this fall.

I'm surprised that only 10% of students actually attend games, even at winning programs. I thought I was being relatively realistic that 20-25% students attending a game was the norm...

Consistent winning will help turn Undergrads that attend games to Alums that attend games.
I also agree that making pre-game more family friendly would help, but I remember a few years ago, the school had a few large inflatables and maybe a "train" on the baseball field for the kids to play.

Along with all of the other problems the program has, culture, is the biggest problem.

~flag~ ~flag~
~flag~ ~flag~

Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:13 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Point of clarification... That's 10% of game attendance. Not enrolment attendance. The numbers should look different for us considering a sell out for us is 34k and a sell out for them is over 100k.

Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:23 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Saul Goodman wrote:
TXSTRiverBobcat wrote:
If we want to point fingers at any one group of fans, it needs to be the 180K living alumni. Including the majority of that located between Georgetown and San Antonio.

ding!ding!ding!

although right now, marketing doesn't make a bit of difference. you can tell me how great your shit sandwich is 100 different ways on a dozen different platforms, but it's still a shit sandwich.

To understand the impact this is having... I live less than five miles from Bobcat Stadium. I could safely ride my bike there--it is that convenient. I've only attended one game physically this season. I'm just not going to waste my Saturday evening watching a shitshow that isn't even fun to watch in an abysmal gameday atmosphere. And I was once a super passionate fan, and I was a bonkers crazy fan while in school. I am not alone.

That is the impact of Teis... squandering all of the positive energy for the program.

In fairness, I've have gone to some volleyball matches this season, typically catch around 10 basketball games and pick up a few baseball games.

I respectfully disagree with time on the internet being "wasted." I would've never known that a monkey would fall over after smelling his own, stinky finger if it wasn't for the glory of the internet.

Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:37 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

GMAN wrote:
Along with all of the other problems the program has, culture, is the biggest problem.

I wholly agree. Culture is the biggest problem. That is why I liked Withers in his press conference and gave him the benefit of the doubt... In his introductory press conference, he spoke of creating a culture.

The only problem is that we have an AD that either doesn't understand how to build a culture, or doesn't think it is his responsibility. I lean towards the latter, because of his comments about bowls or conference realignment. He repeatedly says "they call you if they want you" indicating he doesn't try to make people want us, he thinks "build it and they will come" is the way to do it.

He doesn't understand that is not acceptable in this day's marketplace. Too many other entertainment options abound. You have to be in the customer's face and preaching about how great you are and how this is THE BEST.

Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:29 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Completely agree that Teis 1)doesn't know how to create a better culture and 2)doesn't think it's his responsibility. One of the biggest things that has stayed with me from the KTSW interview with Reily and Dr. Trauth was how many times he said, "I feel bad for the fans, I want/wish for things to be better, etc." This whole woe is me attitude and a mentality of gosh, if only there was something someone could do.

Can someone bother to tell him that HE IS LITERALLY THE ONE PERSON THAT CAN CHANGE THINGS IF SOMETHING ISN'T RIGHT!!!! He talks like he is just like every other fan/alum/student and has no power to do anything.

Shit. And that fact that he's convinced Trauth to be in lock step with his excuses is just as frustrating.

Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:47 pm
True Bobcat Fan

TheRevSWT wrote:
he thinks "build it and they will come" is the way to do it.

This actually is the way to do it. The problem is he isn't building anything. He is maintaining. Considering that most of our NCAA sports have been consistently sub .500 teams, there is nothing to maintain! Everything needs to be built.

The build it and they will come approach is what UCF is doing, and UH, and within the past 2 years UNT. The other thing good athletic directors do, is tell anyone and everyone they can about what they're building.

The build it and they will come mentality has 2 components. Teis has failed to build anything and even if he had, no one would know because he sucks at getting the message out.

Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:07 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 192 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next