Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 192 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
 WWW.FireTeis.COM 
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Post Re: WWW.FireTeis.COM
I totally disagree. We aren't P5, we don't get national attention purely because of our conference. We don't get local coverage simply for existing.

You can't just build it and wait for everything to come to you.

You have to build it, and tout to any and everyone that will listen about all that's going on. It's not an e-mail sent out once a month to the already interested audience. You have to BUILD the audience.

You have to return e-mails and phone calls to reporters. You have to reach out to reporters who aren't covering you. He should have someone on roster right now writing press releases after every game (ANY game) and sending it to every media outlet between Brownsville and Amarillo. He should then have that team follow up to see if the story ran. If it didn't? Write it down and he PERSONALLY contacts those media outlets to find out what we can do to get it in the media. he can have his post game write-up people work to develop relationships with the media that is responding. Invite them down for lunch and an interview with X coach/X player/X announcer. Then you can use that relationship to get an introduction at other media outlets (probably the ones that aren't printing our stuff). You make it STUPIDLY easy for them to run information about us.

You have to have a facebook and twitter account to follow the sports media team to see what they are putting out. How long it takes them to, and offer ideas/suggestions. Get reports from those teams to see which tweets are getting the most likes and views. And push that up a notch. Drop what doesn't work and try new things. Keep on trying to change things.

What's wrong here is that Teis wants to go hands off with EVERYTHING. He's an administrator, not a leader. So in the end, he's disconnected from the sports, the IT side, the marketing. Hell, he either didn't bother to watch the post game press conference that caused such an uproar or even worse, watched it and didn't think anything of it.

He puts people in place to build and leaves them alone. That's a great style... WHEN they exceed expectations. When they aren't though, you have to get in there with them and hold them accountable.

That's what

Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:30 pm
Bobcat Wannabe

TheRevSWT wrote:
I totally disagree. We aren't P5, we don't get national attention purely because of our conference. We don't get local coverage simply for existing.

You can't just build it and wait for everything to come to you.

You have to build it, and tout to any and everyone that will listen about all that's going on. It's not an e-mail sent out once a month to the already interested audience. You have to BUILD the audience.

You have to return e-mails and phone calls to reporters. You have to reach out to reporters who aren't covering you. He should have someone on roster right now writing press releases after every game (ANY game) and sending it to every media outlet between Brownsville and Amarillo. He should then have that team follow up to see if the story ran. If it didn't? Write it down and he PERSONALLY contacts those media outlets to find out what we can do to get it in the media. he can have his post game write-up people work to develop relationships with the media that is responding. Invite them down for lunch and an interview with X coach/X player/X announcer. Then you can use that relationship to get an introduction at other media outlets (probably the ones that aren't printing our stuff). You make it STUPIDLY easy for them to run information about us.

You have to have a facebook and twitter account to follow the sports media team to see what they are putting out. How long it takes them to, and offer ideas/suggestions. Get reports from those teams to see which tweets are getting the most likes and views. And push that up a notch. Drop what doesn't work and try new things. Keep on trying to change things.

What's wrong here is that Teis wants to go hands off with EVERYTHING. He's an administrator, not a leader. So in the end, he's disconnected from the sports, the IT side, the marketing. Hell, he either didn't bother to watch the post game press conference that caused such an uproar or even worse, watched it and didn't think anything of it.

He puts people in place to build and leaves them alone. That's a great style... WHEN they exceed expectations. When they aren't though, you have to get in there with them and hold them accountable.

That's what

NAILED IT! :-||

Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:41 am
Bobcat Wannabe

#RevForAD

Seriously though, Rev just put together a better marketing/growth plan in a few minutes than I've ever seen from the AD's office.

Just some things I've noticed regarding the last couple of posts:

We do have a banner on the stadium. I'm actually in San Marcos at least once a week, and I have to actively look for it to spot it. It's extremely tiny, reads "Home game this Saturday," and placed so you can only see it when heading away from campus on Aquarena. UTSA, on the other hand, has a giant banner plastered on the side of the Alamodome. Every time I drive past it, I can clearly see all the dates of home games, and it's well branded. But remember, Teis doesn't look at what other schools are doing. Nevermind that the side of Bobcat Stadium could potentially be a giant billboard, and we already own it.

I remember Withers' first year, there were actually a few weeks where him and some players went to the quad and promoted the game. Plus I think it was his idea to bring the freshman into the stadium to teach them chants/cheers and make the star on the field. That kind of thing is way more effort than I had ever seen from the department before. So I still believe Withers is doing as much as he can despite the AD.

All this to say, Fire Teis.

Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:58 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

The big thing to get from my post... The AD job is not just administrative duties (which Teis truly does excel at. No issues on compliance, to me I'm a fan of our football scheduling, though basketball seems to be lacking, I haven't heard of a time that we've had travel issues, etc), it is truly... and for a school in our station of life (G5, fairly new at it still), a relationship based job.

Cultivating relationships with media, with other AD's, with commissioners of other conferences, with bowl representatives, with students, alumni, local businesses, corporate businesses.

That is the biggest element we are missing.

Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:20 pm
True Bobcat Fan

DrumCat wrote:
Plus I think it was his idea to bring the freshman into the stadium to teach them chants/cheers and make the star on the field. That kind of thing is way more effort than I had ever seen from the department before.

We actually started that pre Withers. I don't remember the first year we did it, but I think it was 2014 or 2015. The forming of the star in the middle of the field might be newer though. I think the first few years they brought freshman to the stadium, they just had them in the stands learning the chants.

Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:40 pm
Bobcat Wannabe

TXSTRiverBobcat wrote:
We actually started that pre Withers. I don't remember the first year we did it, but I think it was 2014 or 2015. The forming of the star in the middle of the field might be newer though. I think the first few years they brought freshman to the stadium, they just had them in the stands learning the chants.

Interesting. My freshman year was 2011, and I don't think we did anything like that at orientation or the freshman prep day (Cat Camp, I think it was called). Although, I was in BMB so I think we had to miss a lot of that stuff that happened. Come to think of it, there was a day where they stuffed all the freshman in Strahan, they might have taught the chants then.

Regardless, I feel like it's a lot cooler to do it in the stadium, and it probably builds more pride and leaves a better impression.

Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:17 pm
True Bobcat Fan

They started doing this with the Freshman class of 2017 apparently. I found this old thread with some info about it and links to tweets from the class of 2019. Didn't want to go back any further and I trust that the people in this thread knew what they were talking about.

http://bobcatfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=26006

Here are the links to the Twitter posts too.
https://twitter.com/Le_gravois/status/634895195755016192
https://twitter.com/TXSTBobcatClub/status/634898346671366144

Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:41 pm
True Bobcat Fan

By the way, I updated the website with recent records.

Also, what is the point of the Sun Belt having a regular season champion if it literally doesn't mean anything? We have a conference tournament where the winner of the tournament is the team that gets to go to the NCAA tournament. It's just another example of inflated results that the AD is going to point to as him doing a good job when in reality, it's just another unsuccessful post season.

I really like the way Will Butler broke it down here.
https://forgotten5.com/2018/10/01/evaluating-g5-athletic-directors/
Post season success is crucial to the image and perception of an athletic department and even in our best sports, we aren't performing up to par with our peers.

Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:57 pm
True Bobcat Fan

TXSTRiverBobcat wrote:
Also, what is the point of the Sun Belt having a regular season champion if it literally doesn't mean anything?

regular season championships are absolutely worthless, but it's not just a sunbelt thing. seems pretty much everyone does the same thing. not sure when it became popular, but i didn't notice it until recently either. completely fucking stupid practice.

Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:09 pm
True Bobcat Fan

TXSTRiverBobcat wrote:
They started doing this with the Freshman class of 2017 apparently.

started several years before then.
2015: https://twitter.com/txst/status/636253284102045696
2016: https://twitter.com/txst/status/770307885003747330

Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:20 pm
True Bobcat Fan

By freshman class of '17, I meant class that would graduate in '17. They would be freshman in 2013.

Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:57 pm
True Bobcat Fan

gotcha

Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:10 pm
True Bobcat Fan

I’m with BleedGold on this. I moved back to SM over the summer and I am 5 minutes from the stadium, me and Bleed could live in the same neighborhood. I tailgate for every game because I enjoy hanging out with friends and family. I couldn’t care less about the games. The wife and I have started taking the kids to the game. Our oldest is 28 months and she loves the band and clapping and yelling when something happens. We usually stay til the band is done at half then go home. If the kids are restless we leave sooner, nothing lost.

I have stopped watching games on tv, I don’t care if I miss it.

First phone call I made when we moved to San Marcos was to the athletic department to update my address so I could get my season tickets and parking passes. Those items were still sent to my old address. My previous neighbors had to get in touch with me so I could get my tickets and parking passes.

I am at the point that I don’t care anything about bobcat athletics anymore and I moved back to town 5 months ago. I have had season tickets and have been a bobcat club donor for 10 years. I was on the Bobcat Club Leadership Council for 3 yearswhile Josh Whittenburg was incharge of the leadership council.

That’s how bad Larry Teis is.

Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:59 pm
Junior Bobcat

Is it just my perception or is it true that the fire Teis movement has totally died after we beat GASTATE?

Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:29 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

bobcatforlife19 wrote:
Is it just my perception or is it true that the fire Teis movement has totally died after we beat GASTATE?

I'm hanging on to hope that we can still see change ... so let's hope not.

At the very least if the AD isn't considering the Fire Teis movement as a threat; at least fans are voting with their feet and not showing up to games.... here are the attendances figures according to ESPN's latest box scores.

2018 Attendance Opponent
15,440...TX Southern
17,062...Louisiana
9,545....Ga Southern
15,045..New Mexico State
11,482..Appalachian
68,574 Total attendance / Games hosted: 5 Avg to date: 13,715 (down 4,418 compared to 5 home games in 2017)

Results from 2017
15,560...Houston Baptist
19,520...Appalachian State
31,333...UT San Antonio
12,238...Louisiana Monroe
12,012...New Mexico State.... total through 5 games in 2017: 90,663 / avg 18,132
14,017...Georgia State
104,680 Total attendance / Games hosted : 6 Avg 17,447

Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:52 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 192 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next