Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 191 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 13  Next
 WWW.FireTeis.COM 
True Bobcat Fan

Post Re: WWW.FireTeis.COM
Wow, that's incredible and great to hear!

Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:33 am
True Bobcat Fan

Updated the website to reflect the Soccer regular season championship and the recent volleyball wins. Also added an "updated on" date, so that people can see the last time the records were updated.

Also added a line about whether the current coach was hired by Teis or not per Voltrons request.

Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:57 am
True Bobcat Fan

Good ideas and thanks for updating it. Has any of the media on Twitter commented on it or posted it? Keff used to (or still does) read the boards here, so i'm sure he's seen it.

Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:07 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Keff tweeted about the banner, im sure he knows about the site as he is always keeping his ears to the ground. Ryan McGee of ESPN's bottom 10 re-tweeted my link to the site yesterday.

Will Butler definitely knows and im sure he is aching to tell anyone who will listen.

Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:30 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

LATE NIGHT nonsense warning... additionally I was a computer science major... so I’m not the most articulate writer

With the Fire Teis movement I was thinking what else can we as fans really do to turn up the heat on the President for the lack of action.
• We’ve tried voicing our pleasure... no reaction
• Several have tired reducing or stopping donations to the Club to voice displeasure.... No reaction + Larry still gets rave reviews on performance
• FireTeis flag flies at the stadium and Go FundMe raises $$ for the pilot with a Banner planned for homecoming......triggering a lame interview from Trauth and Teis claiming everything is still dandy and “we are closer” ..still no actions to change.

I honestly think that in the eyes of Trauth and Teis... they just see a small group of “small fish” donors becoming noisemakers and causing waves that will eventually fade over time.

Tonight I was watching my late local news and was numb to all the political advertising leading to this midterm elections. All this really got me thinking some random thoughts about really putting the AD’s balls in a vice.
Now I know that what I may go on to suggest may not be very popular... because it’s playing with Fire (no pun intended) and there would be no guarantee to “undo” any of my suggestions IF it were to be successful , but humor me by hearing me out.
How does one really hit someone where it really hurts? Answer: in the pocket book.
However... a group of small fish really can’t make a dent in the AD’s pocketbook when the student fees make up the largest percentage of the annual budget.

So one thought that formulated in my head was how can we influence students to enact change.
My answer ... the formation of a Political Action Committee. 8)
This said PAC could lobby the student government representatives to open the discussion on potentially vote worthy issues by the student body. Similar to the time when interest was to go from FCS to FBS... there was propaganda geared to the students to increase the athletics fees to support the change. Well shit can work both ways... and propaganda could be geared towards students to lower athletics fees.
So sure, a small group of “small fish donors” may not scare the president or AD, but if we could increase pressure by even getting the issue on a ballot for students to vote on, I’m certain the potential loss of fee revenue would scare the shit out of those two and they would have to really take it seriously.

I would agree that fulfilling that option(lowering the fees) could cripple the AD budget and negatively hurt the department, but think about it ... Larry has really hung his hat on new facilities and not cared about winning... if we were to go after his source of funding to build these new flashy things by lowering fees, then what else does he have? In my head nothing... therefore he would need to comeback begging every small fish for any possible donations as a life line to fuel the department. At that time many would have the influence to say I will only donate once Teis is gone.
There after he finally gets relieved of his duties or demoted back to the compliance director. Then we can lobby again for an increase.
Now I wouldn’t be able to guarantee that all students would be on board ... in the first place to make the change to lower fees but personally if I were a current student and I didn’t attend many athletics events because of the consistent losing, then sure I would love to spend less in athletics fees per semester for something I’m not attending either way. Not to forget... lowering the amount of debt that I have to bare post graduation. It’s really not a tough sell to convince students.

So long story short ... although us small fish may not scare the president into enacting change and firing Teis; maybe doing some like this can OR will.

Let me know your thoughts.
Thanks for taking the time to read my nonsense, but I am serious when I say I want to see change in the direction of the program.
Signed FireTeis banner at the stadium guy. :cat:

Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:42 am
True Bobcat Fan

I think the budget angle may eventually solve itself.
This was in the latest message i received from our annonymous donor.

"I have had some conversations with some of Texas State's largest boosters, and we are all fed up. Something must change, or I know many that are not going to continue to back a losing program....including myself."

Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:50 am
True Bobcat Fan

58% of our revenue will come from student fees in 2019. That's just over $19 million.

https://www.fss.txstate.edu/budget/budgetnumbers/operbudget.html

Do I think that the students forcing a vote to drastically reduce the athletic fee would have a very significant impact on the way Trauth views Teis's performance? Yes. I think he would be fired immediately. However, going that route could permanently stunt our growth and potential. We may never be able to undo that kind of change.

I have a really hard time destroying our athletic department just to force the leadership's hand. Maybe as a last resort, but I would need to see a couple more years of the pressure we are currently putting on them for me to jump on board with lobbying the students to reduce their fee.

Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:31 am
Junior Bobcat

TXSTRiverBobcat wrote:
58% of our revenue will come from student fees in 2019. That's just over $19 million.

https://www.fss.txstate.edu/budget/budgetnumbers/operbudget.html

Do I think that the students forcing a vote to drastically reduce the athletic fee would have a very significant impact on the way Trauth views Teis's performance? Yes. I think he would be fired immediately. However, going that route could permanently stunt our growth and potential. We may never be able to undo that kind of change.

I have a really hard time destroying our athletic department just to force the leadership's hand. Maybe as a last resort, but I would need to see a couple more years of the pressure we are currently putting on them for me to jump on board with lobbying the students to reduce their fee.

I agree with this. I think taking away the student fees is treading down a slippery slope that we may never recover from. Things are bad, but not bad enough to completely nuke the program.

Another idea I thought of: maybe someone could come up with a flier to either hand out at the tailgate or put under windshield wipers that advertised the fire Teis website? It could be something simple, have www.fireteis.com in bold at the top with the “Quick Hitters” from the website listed below. It might be a way to get the message out to more people who aren’t on here or social media.

Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:39 am
True Bobcat Fan

i despise the fact that our students foot so much of the ad budget. simply not right. but, it's a necessary evil.

not sure you'd need an actual vote to help move the needle though. a concerted effort to even bring one about might be enough to tip the scales, as one would think an actual vote for a reduction in fees based on the return students have seen, would pass and severely fuck us long term. pretty dangerous game to play.

Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:43 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

I wonder if there is a way for the student government to vote to withhold the fee rather than reduce it, placing it in a separate interest-bearing account until the desired changes occur? It could still be tagged for athletic fees, but the athletic department could be denied access to it on a temporary basis and then receive the withheld funds once appropriate changes are made?

I'm skeptical that it is possible, as the athletic fee may be tied as a stable funding source to bonds issued for capital improvements associated with the athletic department.

The big fish need to reach out to student government. Angry big fish donors plus just the threat of reviewing the athletic fee would force their hand. The current climate with students regarding cost of higher education (not just TxSt, but nationwide) means the university would have to take such a threat seriously.

I would recommend also targeting the Austin media market for stories... KVUE, KXAN, etc. While KXAN tends to annoy the shit out of me, I think their investigative angle would work well on this as it hits a lot of their sweet spots: unresponsive/entitled public employees, waste, lack of accountability (I mean those performance reviews... SRSLY), etc. We've already done a lot of the research for them. Teis would wilt under that type of reporting based on what I've seen of his media interactions. They especially love this kind of thing when sweeps gets close.

I respectfully disagree with time on the internet being "wasted." I would've never known that a monkey would fall over after smelling his own, stinky finger if it wasn't for the glory of the internet.

Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:46 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Rather than try to get the students to reduce their fees and literally kill our athletic department, a much easier way would be to create our own non profit booster club that... instead of the small fish donating to the bobcat club or to the athletic department, they instead donate to the Bobcat Fan.

That way, the little fish then consolidate their funds into one bigger fish that puts them on par with the big fish and gives them a voice at the table.

I'd even wager that a few passionate fans running it could probably generate more funds together than the Bobcat Club does. But that is just a hunch.

Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:54 am
True Bobcat Fan

TheRevSWT wrote:
Rather than try to get the students to reduce their fees and literally kill our athletic department, a much easier way would be to create our own non profit booster club that... instead of the small fish donating to the bobcat club or to the athletic department, they instead donate to the Bobcat Fan.

That way, the little fish then consolidate their funds into one bigger fish that puts them on par with the big fish and gives them a voice at the table.

I'd even wager that a few passionate fans running it could probably generate more funds together than the Bobcat Club does. But that is just a hunch.

Agreed. I'd be in.

Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:34 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Great thought Rev... I also agree and would be in.

And just to be clear... my thoughts were on a arbitrary reduction of the fees of x dollars..and in no way a complete elimination.

Last edited by ThunderCat on Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:46 am
True Bobcat Fan

I think that you would only be able to get the donors that have already pulled their donations to the Bobcat club. The reason I say that is because of the benefits you get by donating to the Bobcat club vs a non TXST associated booster club.

I for one, would rather still donate to the Bobcat club over this other booster club so I can keep my season tickets, parking pass, and Pavilion tickets.

I guess depending on how it was set up and sold to potential donors, I could donate additional money to it while keeping my Bobcat Club donation as small as possible to get the benefits I want.

Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:52 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

TXSTRiverBobcat wrote:
I think that you would only be able to get the donors that have already pulled their donations to the Bobcat club. The reason I say that is because of the benefits you get by donating to the Bobcat club vs a non TXST associated booster club.

I for one, would rather still donate to the Bobcat club over this other booster club so I can keep my season tickets, parking pass, and Pavilion tickets.

I guess depending on how it was set up and sold to potential donors, I could donate additional money to it while keeping my Bobcat Club donation as small as possible to get the benefits I want.

There's the rub. The incentive to donate to a third party would have to be better than the benefits given by the Bobcat Club.

The only caveat I'd add to that is that in theory if the "Bobcat Fan" org was able to grow to a reasonable level (in other words, becoming the single largest donor for the BC), then a negotiation could take place to get those benefits.

The BC should be more than happy with that, because they are getting donations without having to lift a finger. No marketing needed as the BF would be doing that.

It's whether you would get Teis on board with that, as then he literally has to deal with ONE more gripey fan (which would realistically be hundreds, just with one unifying voice).

But it's a trade off.

Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:21 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 191 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 13  Next