Still bugging me.... 
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Post Still bugging me....
:sombrero: :sombrero: :sombrero:
:texasstate: :texasstate: :texasstate:

I know it has been a week, but why on earth did we not kick that FG to start the game and why on earth did we go with WJIII to start the third quarter.

Baffling. Almost as bad as "The Knee" in terms of coaching decisions.

Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:53 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Post Re: Still bugging me....
going for the touchdown was the right call. the actual play called was trash.

playing wj3 when vitt is healthy will never be the correct answer to any scenario.

Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:10 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Because "nothing is working" is probably the answer to both questions.

Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:16 pm
Junior Bobcat

Withers said that he made the move because the line was not giving Vitt any time and the running game was abysmal. I guess he was trying to put some rushing yards on the stat line with WJ3 running QB draws. It was a dumb move though, we need to stick with Vitt and drop WJ3 in the slot or something.

Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:34 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Going for it on 4th and goal was the right call. Running the play out of the shotgun was not. I will never understand why we run short yardage plays out of shotgun. Whether it's out of our own end zone or on the goal line about to score. Why would you want to instantly concede 4-5 yards before running a play... unless the play is a passing play and you want to give the QB more time before the rush gets there... we only run running plays out of it though and usually get blown up in the backfield.

Playing WJII was a terrible decision no matter how Withers tries to justify it. Vitt has just as much success rushing as WJII, but he is a much better passer and doesn't hold the ball with one hand away from his body in traffic. WJII is a great athlete, but a terrible QB. We should never play him again at QB.

Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:10 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

:sombrero: :sombrero: :sombrero:
:texasstate: :texasstate: :texasstate:

Good points, all of them. I can see the reasoning on the 4th down call, but that early in a game, always....always go for the points.

Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:27 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Bobcat.taxman wrote:

Good points, all of them. I can see the reasoning on the 4th down call, but that early in a game, always....always go for the points.

You should stick to cheerleading for your son.

On 4th and inches at the goal line early in the first quarter with no score, you absolutely go for it. At worst, you're forcing the opponent to snap the ball into their end zone and go nearly 100 yards for a TD. Even if you give up a couple of first downs, you're still getting the ball back in good territory.

There was not a damn thing choosing to go for it on 4th down. The play call left a lot to be desired.

Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:01 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Agreed. Especially when you're a multi-TD underdog. Going for it was the right call.

Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:50 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

run faster wrote:

You should stick to cheerleading for your son.

On 4th and inches at the goal line early in the first quarter with no score, you absolutely go for it. At worst, you're forcing the opponent to snap the ball into their end zone and go nearly 100 yards for a TD. Even if you give up a couple of first downs, you're still getting the ball back in good territory.

There was not a damn thing choosing to go for it on 4th down. The play call left a lot to be desired.

Let's recap: we lost a game 15-13. You make a FG in the first quarter, that game theoretically ends in a 16-15 win.

No, there is no logical reason, even on 4th and an inch when you go for it on the opening drive of a game. You always take the points when you can get them in the 1st quarter. Going for it on an opening drive screams of desperation from a coaching standpoint, particularly when your running game was at -6 late in the 2nd quarter.

Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:15 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Hindsight's 20/20... We were supposed to lose that game by multiple touchdowns. So on the very first drive on 4th and goal from the 1 foot line, when you're supposed to lose by multiple touchdowns, yea I'm going for it. No one could have known at that point in the game that it would end as close as it did.

Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:18 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

TXSTRiverBobcat wrote:
Hindsight's 20/20... We were supposed to lose that game by multiple touchdowns. So on the very first drive on 4th and goal from the 1 foot line, when you're supposed to lose by multiple touchdowns, yea I'm going for it. No one could have known at that point in the game that it would end as close as it did.

Wasn't the line -3.5 that game? I could be wrong, but I thought that's what it looked like before kickoff. Offensively speaking, it's always best to prevent a shutout to let your offense gain some confidence....particularly after a good opening drive like we had.

Coming out empty-handed deflated the offense until Vitt came back in late in the second half.

Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:21 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Line was around 16 or 17. Going for it was the right call. But you have to punch it in.

Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:29 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

x wrote:
Line was around 16 or 17. Going for it was the right call. But you have to punch it in.

Cool, stand corrected then.

Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:30 pm
Junior Bobcat

I’ve been thinking about this more over the week and have to agree going for it was probably the right call due to us being 17 point underdogs. If the spread was closer, taking 3 might be a better decision. But the real problem was a stupid play call and hopefully the new OC will do better.

Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:49 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Bobcat.taxman wrote:

Going for it on an opening drive screams of desperation from a coaching standpoint.

You really have no clue about the sport.

No logical reason you go for it on 4th and an inch at the beginning of a game? There are plenty of logical reasons. It hardly screams of desperation. It screams of confidence that your team can move the ball three inches.

Bobcat.taxman wrote:
Offensively speaking, it's always best to prevent a shutout to let your offense gain some confidence....particularly after a good opening drive like we had.

You listen to too many commentators who have never played the sport past middle school.

Having 3 points on the scoreboard doesn't give an offense confidence. It's far more deflating to have it 2nd down at the 1 and gain no yardage, 3rd down at the 1 and gain no yardage, and then have to settle for a field goal. That is far, far more deflating for an offense and a huge boost to a defense than any alleged sense of confidence for having to settle for a field goal there.

Bobcat.taxman wrote:

, particularly when your running game was at -6 late in the 2nd quarter.

Again, your lack of logic is baffling. First, at the time of going for it, Texas State had 16 yards rushing which were all on that opening drive. Second, Texas State's rushing stats being negative later in the game were almost entirely the result of a young QB not knowing to get rid of the ball and taking 3-4 sacks in the first half for big losses. It had nothing to do with the ability to rush the ball which is the case in going for it on 4th-and-inches.

Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:57 pm