Kendal Briles 
True Bobcat Fan

Post Re: Kendal Briles
I see both sides of it. He is a young up and comer that has been set back by scandal.

On one side, he is the hot shot, young, motivated OC that has been successful and could spark something great at TXST. On the other side, he was involved in a major scandal that involved covering up a rape culture and apparently promising sex to recruits to get their commitment.

Although the level of his involvement hasn’t really been determined, that seems like a big risk and potential PR nightmare if we decided to go that route.

As other’s have mentioned though, Teis would never choose him.

Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:38 am
Bobcat Wannabe

I know Kendal and the Briles family well. Baylor used them to cover up their problems. They as other schools will look in to hiring him. Once he is vetted like Houston did they will find out he is as clean as anyone they could hire. The Houston AD said he has never hired a cleaner person because he never had to do thag mich backgroud check. I think he would be a great fit. Time will tell. I hope I get to cheer for the Bobcats next year.

Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:42 am
True Bobcat Fan

spinks wrote:
I know Kendal and the Briles family well. Baylor used them to cover up their problems. They as other schools will look in to hiring him. Once he is vetted like Houston did they will find out he is as clean as anyone they could hire. The Houston AD said he has never hired a cleaner person because he never had to do thag mich backgroud check. I think he would be a great fit. Time will tell. I hope I get to cheer for the Bobcats next year.

Interesting. Either way, I doubt he would accept any offer Texas State made.

Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:35 am
SuperCat

I’m clearly in the minority but I’d love to have him. He’s the exact type of coach we need.

But we’ll probably hire another dusty 50 or 60something year old coach (because he’s “been there,” but no longer is because he sucks) that’s been in a career decline for years and give him a nice 5 year HC retirement package with a buyout we can’t afford and continue business as usual. Hey maybe we can get Larry Coker lol....

Last edited by nUTSAck on Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:48 am
Bobcat Wannabe

I actually disagree with you. I think be would jump at a Texas State offer in a heartbeat. Turning Texas State in to a conference champion and being the head coach for 5 to 7 years would almost guarantee a big time head coaching gig.

Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:52 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

spinks wrote:
I actually disagree with you. I think be would jump at a Texas State offer in a heartbeat. Turning Texas State in to a conference champion and being the head coach for 5 to 7 years would almost guarantee a big time head coaching gig.

Assuming the first part happened, I don't think you'd see that translate into a big time HC gig. An upper tier G5, or MAYBE a low-tier P5? Sure. But a big time (to me, big time means historically top 25 team), doubtful.

But I grant you that is semantics.

Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:10 pm
True Bobcat Fan

nUTSAck wrote:
He’s the exact type of coach we need.

it definitely helps recruiting when you are offering up sex, drugs and alcohol to high schoolers.

Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:21 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

I'd sign with us if that was the pitch.

Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:25 pm
SuperCat

Most of y’all are acting like this guy is so untouchable that he’s sitting at home because nobody will take him.You realize he’s coached at 2 different schools since leaving Baylor without missing any time...and if he’s clean enough to be the Offensive Coordinator at Houston then I think he’s fine for Texas State...

We are a bottom of the toilet G5 football program, a national embarrassment, I don’t think we should be acting like we’re too good for anyone.

Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:35 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

nUTSAck wrote:
We are a bottom of the toilet G5 football program, a national embarrassment, I don’t think we should be acting like we’re too good for anyone.

I get where others with concerns are coming from. I want to win, and I don't want to win dirty.

Was he involved in it? Don't know. Know there wasn't enough evidence to charge him though.

And if Teis was in charge of him, I could absolutely see him making sure he stays on the straight and narrow.

At this point, I'm not going to be upset with ANY hire, short of an FCS coordinator (or FCS head coach from a dumpster fire team), or some coach who's been retired for a decade and sitting in an announcer's booth.

Or Bailiff (though I don't think that's gonna be a problem).

Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:45 pm
True Bobcat Fan

nUTSAck wrote:
You realize he’s coached at 2 different schools since leaving Baylor without missing any time

he's coached at a school that hired lane kiffen, and one run by tillman fertita. not exactly pillars of morality.

Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:46 pm
Bobcat Wannabe

He is at a university who is run by one of the most respected presidents in the United States and is a phenomenal human and father. Texas state would be lucky to have him as was Florida Atlantic and as is Houston. Come across the AD at Houston and ask him what he thinks of Kendal Briles and he will tell you he is as fine of a human and coach as he has ever been around.

Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:02 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

spinks wrote:
He is at a university who is run by one of the most respected presidents in the United States and is a phenomenal human and father. Texas state would be lucky to have him as was Florida Atlantic and as is Houston. Come across the AD at Houston and ask him what he thinks of Kendal Briles and he will tell you he is as fine of a human and coach as he has ever been around.

Oh, if that's the case, we're safe. Teis won't speak to another AD in a different conference, because "we're focusing on Texas State, and not concerned about what other schools are doing"

Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:04 pm
Bobcat Wannabe

Teis may not be making this decision.

Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:08 pm
True Bobcat Fan

spinks wrote:
Teis may not be making this decision.

If only we were so lucky. Although, he allegedly didn't make the Withers decision either. So, basically, we don't have anyone who can make good football decisions.

Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:28 pm