Our Next AD 
True Bobcat Fan

Post Re: Our Next AD
Get Oliver Luck. I know Saul hates him but fuck it. He has Texas ties and did great things while at the Dynamo, an organization that has lost talent, season ticket sales, and attendance since he left for WVU.

Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:04 am
True Bobcat Fan

slycat wrote:
I know Saul hates him

no, you don't know that. wtf? where does that even come from?

he would be a great ad, but it's ridiculous to even think we could get a guy like that.

Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:12 am
True Bobcat Fan

Saul Goodman wrote:
slycat wrote:
I know Saul hates him

no, you don't know that. wtf? where does that even come from?

he would be a great ad, but it's ridiculous to even think we could get a guy like that.

Was it not you that had a post about his failures a while back? No bad, i apologize.

I know he is a long shot but hey this is the point where we can dream.

Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:36 am
True Bobcat Fan

i don't believe so. i've always been a fan.

quick search shows it was the larry lover who hates all things luck: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=27472&p=338010

Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:38 am
True Bobcat Fan

Saul Goodman wrote:
i don't believe so. i've always been a fan.

quick search shows it was the larry lover who hates all things luck: http://bobcatfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=2 ... 2&p=338010

Thanks. I should have that and not assumed. Not sure why I thought it was you.

Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:43 am
True Bobcat Fan

no worries.

pretty telling about his mindset that he thinks larry is great but luck sucks. all you really need to know.

Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:46 am
True Bobcat Fan

Saul Goodman wrote:
no worries.

pretty telling about his mindset that he thinks larry is great but luck sucks. all you really need to know.

Pretty telling that you still don't know how to read. I never said that Teis was "great" or that I loved him. I simply argued that it is asinine to fire an AD based on on-field performance when his department has been the second best in the conference each of the last four years. I've conceded that his job requires many off-field duties, as well, some of which he may be awful at.

And my Ollie Luck comments continue to ring true. He was in charge of regulatory affairs - membership affairs and enforcement - which has been a cluster-fuck during his three years at the NCAA. Want to bet what happens with the XFL with him leading the way? Remember my stats showing that his son turned to shit when daddy moved to Indianapolis? Daddy left before this season. Luck now is having his best numbers in passing yards per game, completion percentage, etc. in his entire career.

Everything Ollie Luck touches turns to shit.

Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:27 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

man, everytime you say "ollie luck" I think of Iran-Contra scandals.

Totally different name, I know, but it's in my head.

Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:53 am
True Bobcat Fan

LT Spider wrote:
LOL at Ryan Ivey. They have terrible and declining football attendance and failed to get an athletics student fee passed.

For anyone reading LT Spiders comment above you should know Ryan Ivey has only been at SFA for approximately 4 months. He replaced the SFA athletic director that had been at the helm for 3 decades back on May 31st. Google him, he’s made stops at McNeese Corpus Christi A&M and Austin Pea.

"Ryan Ivey is a tremendous athletics administrator that has demonstrated success every place he has been. Having worked alongside Ryan for over five years I can attest to his work ethic, leadership and vision for an athletics department and its student athletes. More importantly, he is a wonderful person, husband and father. His knowledge of the Southland Conference and the state of Texas will serve him well. I cannot think of a better fit than Ryan Ivey to build on the incredible legacies of my good friends Steve McCarty and Robert Hill."
- Tommy McClelland, Director of Athletics, Louisiana Tech University

"Ryan Ivey has been a good friend and respected colleague for several years. I have enjoyed watching him have success at every stop in his career. He is a smart, ethical, and proven leader who has made every program he has been a part of better by establishing a championship culture. I am excited to have him in Texas and be able to watch the continued growth of SFA athletics."
- Wren Baker, VP & Director of Athletics, University of North Texas

"Ryan Ivey is a rising star! He is a winner, plain and simple, and will work to make everyone around him better. The SFA community will very quickly realize how fortunate they are to have him as their new athletic director."
- Jeremy McClain, Director of Athletics, Troy University

"What a hire to recruit Ryan Ivey to Nacogdoches! His track record of building championship cultures and hiring first-class head coaches is renowned throughout our industry. I couldn't be happier for my good friend, Ryan, and am eager to watch him further elevate SFA athletics!"
- Graham Neff, Deputy Director of Athletics, Clemson University

Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:20 pm
True Bobcat Fan

BobcatDis wrote:
he’s made stops at McNeese Corpus Christi A&M and Austin Pea.

none of which are places i'd like to get anyone involved in athletics from.

and why would you want someone who *just* got hired at a place like sfa when we (allegedly) want to be so much more than that?

Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:26 pm
True Bobcat Fan

I was offering up ideas for job candidates. But I get your line of thinking I really do; however I still think it's good to keep an open mind for rising stars.

Here's what I see in him:
I see substantial evidence of a guy that can take shit for resources and turn it into gold.

I see a good example of a guy that takes perennial losing programs and has them winning championships in their conference and has his coaching hires winning coach of the year.

I see a guy that goes after and acquires corporate sponsors. Basically he's selling garbage as an investment and succeeding.

I also see a guy that has relationships with ADs in other conferences which would be a huge asset for the next realignment shift. Sometimes it's all about who you know.....

Finally Work ethic, Work ethic, Worth ethic. The guys a workhorse that's why I like Chris King too.

Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:52 pm
True Bobcat Fan

So, realistically what are we talking about here? Are we looking at FCS AD's, other G5 AD's, or Assistant AD's at P5's?

I'm just curious what everyone else is thinking.

I don't think that we have the ability to pull a successful G5 AD. Why would they leave for a lateral, or in some cases step down?

FCS AD's seem like a big risk to me since they typically don't have the visibility or budget that we have or that we expect to have.

I like the idea of Assistant AD’s at P5 programs that have either turned around the program or are continuously seeing success in hiring coaches, growing the fan base and donor base, and improving attendance at games. I am not sure which programs fall into that category, but I think that could be our best shot at getting someone that can turn us around.

Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:56 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Given the salary for the AD, we should be able to compete with nearly ANY G5 program for an AD, and possibly some of the smaller P5's.

Plus, given the environment here in Texas, and how low we have sunk... It could be a prime opportunity for someone to really make a significant impact in a short amount of time. I mean, hell.... If he just brings the donations back to what they were before this 50% drop, he can slap on his resume how he doubled donations in a place.

So I think realistically, you want someone that is trying to move up and move up fast in the world of college athletics. I'm leaning towards like a G5 AD who has made an impact where he/she is, or an assistant AD at a P5 that has experienced what a well oiled machine looks like and knows how to build it.

Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:09 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

You really have to focus on acquisition and use of resources by an AD candidate based on whatever level they are coming from.

I agree that we are unlikely to pull a current AD from an existing, highly successful G5 school. You might be able to find one at one of the "small but overachieving" G5 programs where the AD knows there is a cap on potential. This might work if you catch one in career prime that is capping, and wants to come spend 5-7 years building TxSt in order to leverage him/herself into a major P5 discussion, etc.

Pulling assistants from successful P5 athletic departments is going to depend heavily on exactly what their role is and past roles have been in order to best ascertain the transferability of their skills. You have to look carefully at how their peers within the department responded to them, and whether they have the "executive" skills. Larry Teis' ascension from TCU over to Texas State and eventual promotion is a bit of a cautionary tale in this, although his ascension was 100% based on issues of clean program due to issues at that time.

A successful AD from a FCS-affiliated program should not be overlooked, for the reasons mentioned earlier. The successful ones have often been working with limited resources and tasked with "selling garbage" in some instances. You know they have a collection of proven skills, so the question with them is how well they can scale up when greater resources are at their disposal. Likewise, they have to scale up to potentially having a more engaged fan base, donor opportunities, alumni size, etc.

There is validity to all three paths. You just need to have a hiring team that understands the differences in background in order to tease out the best fit. I just want to see some goddamn energy & creativity, goddamn hustle and goddamn accountability.

I respectfully disagree with time on the internet being "wasted." I would've never known that a monkey would fall over after smelling his own, stinky finger if it wasn't for the glory of the internet.

Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:21 pm