Withers embarrassing post-game conference 
True Bobcat Fan

Post Re: Withers embarrassing post-game conference
Now if he could just get our defense that fired up to stop somebody we would be great.

Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:12 pm
True Bobcat Fan

run faster wrote:
This type of action is not a rarity from Withers.

There is a current Texas State student - a female - who witnessed her boyfriend being assaulted by Withers last year. In the parking lot between the stadium and track, a group of car enthusiasts had parked one evening to show off their cars to each other and socialize . . . sort of a "Cars & Coffee" for the college kids if you will. The girl and her boyfriend, who was driving, were leaving the get-together when they almost ran into Withers' car while he was driving through the parking lot. After almost being t-boned, Withers slammed on his brakes blocking the other vehicle in, got out of the car, went to the driver's side of the car, grabbed the kid by his collar, and threatened to "drag your ass out of the car and pummel you in front of your little girlfriend."

Ishmael Davis was a part of the group socializing in the parking lot. He saw the altercation going on, rushed over, and stopped Withers from doing any more damage by breaking up his coach's assault.

The girl, whom I know, was adamant that her boyfriend press charges. Both the threat of violence by Withers and the grabbing of the kid's shirt by the collars are separate incidents of assault under Texas penal code.

so what happened?

Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:43 pm
True Bobcat Fan

chockyy wrote:
so what happened?

Against his girlfriend's advice, the kid didn't press charges. Ishmael, of course, told a bunch of his teammates about the incident which further solidified in their minds that Withers does not have the entire skill-set to be a head FBS coach.

Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:42 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

run faster wrote:
This type of action is not a rarity from Withers.

There is a current Texas State student - a female - who witnessed her boyfriend being assaulted by Withers last year. In the parking lot between the stadium and track, a group of car enthusiasts had parked one evening to show off their cars to each other and socialize . . . sort of a "Cars & Coffee" for the college kids if you will. The girl and her boyfriend, who was driving, were leaving the get-together when they almost ran into Withers' car while he was driving through the parking lot. After almost being t-boned, Withers slammed on his brakes blocking the other vehicle in, got out of the car, went to the driver's side of the car, grabbed the kid by his collar, and threatened to "drag your ass out of the car and pummel you in front of your little girlfriend."

Ishmael Davis was a part of the group socializing in the parking lot. He saw the altercation going on, rushed over, and stopped Withers from doing any more damage by breaking up his coach's assault.

The girl, whom I know, was adamant that her boyfriend press charges. Both the threat of violence by Withers and the grabbing of the kid's shirt by the collars are separate incidents of assault under Texas penal code.

If true, then there needs to be an internal review conducted by the AD/Compliance and a two game suspension if need be to rein in that behavior. :shock: :shock: :shock:

Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:42 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Unless this is being leaked from within the athletic department. Didnt runfaster come out swinging in Teis' defense a couple weeks ago?

Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:40 pm
True Bobcat Fan

josh_ooh_ahh wrote:
Unless this is being leaked from within the athletic department. Didnt runfaster come out swinging in Teis' defense a couple weeks ago?

My defense of Teis was simply based on the overall success of Texas State athletic programs over the last half-decade. Yes, the big three sports have been inferior to the rest of the conference, and I understand the importance of those sports. I just think it would be extremely difficult (and a bad sign) to get rid of a guy whose athletic department has been the second best in the conference for four straight years.

Canning a guy for that type of results would simply show the next guy to put every last dollar of funding into football and possibly men's basketball and find the cheapest way possible to hire and fund every other sport to stay compliant with Sun Belt and Title IX requirements. Sorry, but that's the wrong thing to do strategically and ethically.

Oh, and "run faster" should be two words, not one. It is important to separate the "F" to stand on its own away from "run." The letter "F" represents a lot of good things like football, food, fucking, and Fields.

Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:56 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

run faster, I just want to make sure I'm clear on your thoughts. So don't take this as an accusation, nor as trying to put words in your mouth.

Your belief is... Withers is the only problem and Teis is fine where he's at?

Or am I missing a secondary piece to your beliefs?

Better yet, say you were named special representative from the Bun to fix athletics. You now have carte blanche to do whatever you want to fix the athletics department overall. What do you do?

Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:13 pm
True Bobcat Fan

TheRevSWT wrote:
run faster, I just want to make sure I'm clear on your thoughts. So don't take this as an accusation, nor as trying to put words in your mouth.

Your belief is... Withers is the only problem and Teis is fine where he's at?

Or am I missing a secondary piece to your beliefs?

Better yet, say you were named special representative from the Bun to fix athletics. You now have carte blanche to do whatever you want to fix the athletics department overall. What do you do?

I would usually hold the athletic director responsible for bad hires to a certain extent. However, many on this board have voiced the belief that Teis had little to no say in Withers' hiring. Further, the entire committee in charge of the search is rumored to have unanimously and overwhelmingly wanted Withers as their top guy. So even if Teis did have some say, I couldn't hold him very responsible for the hire.

I don't believe in, unless an egregious incident occurs, getting rid of a coach after 2.5 years. I allow him to finish up the rest of the season to see the results. Hell, even three years is short to turn a program around. However, I couldn't justify keeping a coach after three years of 1 FBS win, 1 FBS (transition at that) win, and 2 FBS wins considering the advantages Texas State Football has compared to the others in the conference

Even the biggest optimist can't expect Texas State to beat any of the last three games on the schedule. In order to simply get 2 FBS wins (which still isn't enough for me to think Withers deserves an additional year), he'd have to win 2 of the next 3 games. New Mexico State is a really bad football team that barely escaped UTEP with a win, but two days ago, their offense looked unbelievably better with a young QB. Even if Texas State beats them, they'd still have to beat Georgia Southern and ULM in my eyes for him to earn another year.

I don't have strong feelings on Teis at this point. There seems to be overwhelming disapproval from fans, at least the vocal ones, on the job he has done. I take that into consideration. However, I think a lot of that tends to be pack mentality where some loud voices on one side sway others to join the fight. Teis has done many good things - the facilities are about to be one of the three best in the conference if they aren't already. The APR/graduation rate is strong. Off-field issues/violations are very few and far between. The overall success of the athletic department cannot be ignored. Now, that leaves a couple of major issues - lack of success in the major sports and booster relations, at least at levels under the biggest boosters.

Would Texas State fans be calling for Teis' head if the football program were one of the top three in the conference every year but almost all of the other sports were finishing last or next-to-last? I don't know the answer to that. But you can't simply judge an AD based on the results of the football and men's basketball program.

In my eyes, Withers should have to get three FBS wins to save his job. If not, I am not entirely comfortable with Teis making a hire for the next coach, but that doesn't seem like it was the case previously.

Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:34 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Are Appalachian State fans happy with their AD? Abso-fuckin-lutely, yes.

And they suck at every sport except football, which they are really good every year, and men's basketball, where they are mostly competitive....and they are in a basketball state. North Carolina is to college basketball what Texas is to college football. They aren't good at anything else.

And if it matters, their facilities aren't top half of the conference, their APR is middle of the pack, and they don't have any scandals.

Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:51 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Just for reference, this is what run faster believes is "overall success" for our athletic department.

Football
75-96 (.438)
2 conference championships (2005*, 2008**)
2 FCS playoff appearances (2005, 2008) [2005 lost semi-finals, 2008 lost in first round]
2 bowl eligible seasons (2013, 2014)
0 bowl games
0 bowl wins

*co-champions with Nichols
**Central Arkansas actually won conference but was disqualified by NCAA

Volleyball (by far the most successful sport)
282-173 (.620)
2 regular season conf championships (2008, 2011)
5 conference tournament championships (2005, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2013)
5 NCAA tournament appearances (2005, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2013) [all first round exits]

Women's Soccer
139-113-17 (.517)
2 regular season conference championships (2008, 2009)
3 NCAA tournament appearances (2008, 2009) [all first round exits]

Men's Basketball
178-249 (.417)
0 regular season conference championships
0 conference tournament championships
0 NCAA tournament appearances

Women's Basketball
209-212 (.496)
0 regular season conference championships
0 conference tournament championships
0 NCAA tournament appearances

Baseball (nice 3-year run)
453-367-2 (.551)
3 regular season conference championships (2009, 2010, 2011)
2 conference tournament championships (2009, 2011)
2 NCAA tournament appearances (2009, 2011) [all first round exits]

Softball
433-304 (.588)
5 regular season conference championships (2008, 2009, 2010, 2012, 2018)
4 conference tournament championships (2009, 2011, 2012, 2018)
4 NCAA tournament appearances (2009, 2011, 2012, 2018) [all first round exits]

Women's Tennis
No conference championships since 1989

Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:55 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Another question:

How long have you been following Bobcat Athletics? The reason I ask is because I think you'll find most of his staunch opponents have been following for the past 3 hires in football, his handling of Nutt/Davalos in basketball, and his handling of Harrington in baseball (though that one is admittedly a very sticky situation).

So if you don't have the history on those guys, I can see where your point of view is coming from.

Also, if you've only been following for say the past 5 years, you won't recall the interview he did with the Star about fans, his handling of smaller donors at tailgates and other events, nor how he handles the media.

So that's why I ask... Not trying to play who's the bigger fan.

Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:57 pm
True Bobcat Fan

TheRevSWT wrote:
Another question:

How long have you been following Bobcat Athletics? The reason I ask is because I think you'll find most of his staunch opponents have been following for the past 3 hires in football, his handling of Nutt/Davalos in basketball, and his handling of Harrington in baseball (though that one is admittedly a very sticky situation).

So if you don't have the history on those guys, I can see where your point of view is coming from.

Also, if you've only been following for say the past 5 years, you won't recall the interview he did with the Star about fans, his handling of smaller donors at tailgates and other events, nor how he handles the media.

So that's why I ask... Not trying to play who's the bigger fan.

what was the deal with Harrington?

Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:04 pm
True Bobcat Fan

chockyy wrote:
what was the deal with Harrington?

https://www.si.com/more-sports/2015/11/ ... spirations
http://spectrumlocalnews.com/tx/austin/ ... eball-team

Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:05 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Im sorry i missed the space in your screen name run faster. :|

Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:50 pm
True Bobcat Fan

TXSTRiverBobcat wrote:
Just for reference, this is what run faster believes is "overall success" for our athletic department.

Can I get quoted on my research?

Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:52 pm