Mike Jinks vs. Everett Withers 
True Bobcat Fan

Post Mike Jinks vs. Everett Withers
No, I am not recommending a pillow fight between the two worst coaches. Jinks was fired today at Bowling Green. Jinks was hired one month before Withers.

Compare their records against FBS teams:

Jinks: 5-23
Withers: 2-25 (with 1 of those being against a transitioning FBS)

Granted, Jinks took over a better program. However, it is important to understand that he didn't exactly walk into a loaded team. When he took over, BGSU had just lost their QB (46 TD/8 INT), their running back (1300 yards, 15 TDs), and their top two receivers (178 catches, 2600 yards, 26 TDs combined). They returned 4 out of 5 offensive lineman and a starting receiver on offense. On defense, they returned six starters. So, he wasn't exactly inheriting a ton of starters, and lost just about all of his offensive production, but he did have a better foundation than Withers took over.

However, look at what Jinks had to work with to make it his program. Any of you been to Bowling Green (Ohio, not Kentucky)? Shithole town. Ever been on that campus? Shithole campus. Ever seen their facilities/stadium? Shithole. The Texas State job is far, far better than the BGSU job even though their program is better in terms of on-field results over the last couple of decades.

In the same amount of time, Jinks had more than twice as many wins as Withers, yet BGSU let him go today. Six months after BGSU hired Jinks, they hired a new AD, so their current AD wasn't the guy who made the hire.

Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:10 pm
Junior Bobcat

Post Re: Mike Jinks vs. Everett Withers
I've always wondered how successful Jinks would have been here, since he probably would have been a perfect fit for the job had Teis actually gotten off his ass and fired Fran at the end of the season.

I'm curious to what you, and the rest of the board, think of bringing him in as OC. Kuhr clearly isn't the guy, and it would be great to actually have someone with Texas roots on staff. I don't know enough about his coaching style to say if he'd be any good for us or not.

Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:26 pm
True Bobcat Fan

DrumCat wrote:
I've always wondered how successful Jinks would have been here, since he probably would have been a perfect fit for the job had Teis actually gotten off his ass and fired Fran at the end of the season.

I'm curious to what you, and the rest of the board, think of bringing him in as OC. Kuhr clearly isn't the guy, and it would be great to actually have someone with Texas roots on staff. I don't know enough about his coaching style to say if he'd be any good for us or not.

He's never been an OC. It would be an awful hire to bring him on staff. As I have said repeatedly over the last two months, you don't hire a coordinator for recruiting purposes. You hire a coordinator for Xs and Os. If a coordinator happens to be a great recruiter, then even better. But Jinks has no coordinator experience and was only an assistant in college, at any level of college, for three years.

The first, second, or third biggest issue isn't lack of talent at Texas State.

Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:37 pm
True Bobcat Fan

run faster wrote:

The first, second, or third biggest issue isn't lack of talent at Texas State.

Agreend, but it had been the last 3 years (Fran's last year and Withers going through the purge.

Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:29 pm
True Bobcat Fan

We should have hired Jason Washington or Jeff Traylor

Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:50 am
True Bobcat Fan

I've been seeing some people on social media saying we should pick him up either for the HC or OC job here. I think that would be an even worse hire than Withers has turned out to be.

With the exception of being a position coach at Texas Tech for a few years and his failure as a HC at Bowling Green, all of his experience is as a High School coach. I have no idea why people think that he would be a better coach than Withers. On Paper, Withers is the much better coach and even he isn't able to succeed here.

There are a lot better coaches out there in the same price range that Withers is in. I have no faith in Parker search firm being able to identify them or Teis being able to sell the job to them, so it doesn't really matter until we get a new AD.

Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:45 am
True Bobcat Fan

I think now is the time to fire EW. The new coach will have players becoming upperclassmen and can get a new system in place without much turmoil. Of course that won't happen because we are improving by losing by less. The standard of success is pitiful.

Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:00 am
True Bobcat Fan

I think everyone knows how I feel about this subject by now, but I have no faith in Teis being able to make a quality hire. However, even if it is Teis that does the hiring and firing, it may be time to make that move as slycat mentioned.

We definitely have the talent right now to win against the teams on our schedule. We have the easiest strength of schedule according to some rankings and we have been competitive in all but 1 of our games this year. With a better coached more disciplined team, we would have beaten South Alabama, UTSA, ULL, and Georgia Southern. We could have been 5-1 right now instead of 1-5.

It really does feel like Fran 2.0... bad coaching/in game decision making costing us several wins throughout the season. That was my biggest complaint of Fran when he was here and it looks like Withers is more of the same. Poor play calling, poor clock management, failing to use the talent we have in the most efficient way, etc.

It doesn't look like Teis is going anywhere in the next year or so due to his performance review standards, so while we build the pressure against him, we can at least get a different coach in here that may or may not be able to utilize the talent better.

Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:06 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Teis could still make an exit, even with those damn glowing reviews. A good example comes from city management: a city manager can be quite excellent but a city council wants someone different for any variety of reasons unrelated to performance. They often will negotiate an amicable exit with severance consistent with the employment contract, and occasionally with something beyond the contract obligation (commonly carrying full cost of healthcare benefits, maintaining 'employee status' during severance in order to accrue retirement service credits, etc.).

I respectfully disagree with time on the internet being "wasted." I would've never known that a monkey would fall over after smelling his own, stinky finger if it wasn't for the glory of the internet.

Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:59 pm
True Bobcat Fan

bleed gold, is that not giving Trauth too much credit?

Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:06 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

TXSTRiverBobcat wrote:
We definitely have the talent right now to win against the teams on our schedule. We have the easiest strength of schedule according to some rankings and we have been competitive in all but 1 of our games this year. With a better coached more disciplined team, we would have beaten South Alabama, UTSA, ULL, and Georgia Southern. We could have been 5-1 right now instead of 1-5.

We should be 6-0. Rutgers is downright clueless themselves and are 2-6 and have been blown out by any quality team they have played. But even then, I agree a 5-1 mark with the team we have would not have been out of the question.

Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:30 am
SuperCat

Bobcat.taxman wrote:
TXSTRiverBobcat wrote:

We should be 6-0. Rutgers is downright clueless themselves and are 2-6 and have been blown out by any quality team they have played. But even then, I agree a 5-1 mark with the team we have would not have been out of the question.

I would have gotten into Harvard, if I was smarter. The incompetence on this board is mind boggling.

Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:49 am
True Bobcat Fan

jj1180 wrote:
The incompetence on this board is mind boggling.

yet, amazingly predictable.

Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:52 am
SuperCat

http://www.espn.com/college-football/st ... 10-respect

We should be 6-0!

Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:41 am
SuperCat

jj1180 wrote:

I would have gotten into Harvard, if I was smarter. The incompetence on this board is mind boggling.

I think you should be more concerned with the incompetence of our Athletic Director. Oh and thanks for informing us that we’re in the ESPN Bottom 10 like anybody here didn’t already know that. Please enlighten us with more of your wisdom.

Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:03 pm