David Baliff 
True Bobcat Fan

Post Re: David Baliff
Best Bobcat Fan wrote:
I hope you don't really mean what you said here or you're just generalizing the department as a whole, because these types of comments certainly don't help the cause.
Yes, I am generalizing to a certain extent.

Quote:
I am close with a few people inside the department, and I know for a fact there are a ton of great, quality, awesome people that work for Texas State Athletics. For instance, Jeremy Stolfa is one of the hardest-working men I've ever seen, and his staff is woefully underpaid yet works their asses off day in and day out to make sure our facilities are top notch. Texas State has some of the best athletic trainers out there, and outside of the top two/three are also woefully underpaid compared to their peers.

This is a prime example of my generalization of the department. Yes, these people are in the athletic department and it sounds like they are doing a great job. I’m not trying to say they aren’t.

Quote:
TXST has some amazing people in the marketing department that are great at what they're allowed to do. The list goes on and on.

This is very interesting to me. Marketing has always been a weak spot for TXST and your adding a qualifier of “what they’re allowed to do.” If in fact Teis or other higher ups are preventing them from producing successful marketing campaigns, I would be interested to hear the details about it. In the meantime, we have students that don’t know when games are or what conference we’re in or even what division we’re in. We failed at even attempting to market our university to anyone outside of San Marcos for years and now we might be shut out of San Antonio completely. The media we put out has been a huge criticism of a lot of people as well. All the failures in this department would lead me to believe that we don’t actually have “amazing people in the marketing department.” At least until I see something that proves they are being hamstringed in some way.

Quote:
If you want to be frustrated with Teis and the administration, that's fine. It seems that a lot of people think that those in the upper tier of the athletics department aren't doing what it takes to win.

The unrest within the fan base is not focused on wins. Especially not on one specific sport. The Athletic Director is responsible for so much more than producing successful results on the field. The other areas of the AD’s job are the biggest reasons he needs to go. If you think that we are all mad because we are 1-4 in the 2018 football season, you are as bad as Teis and Trauth. Completely tone deaf…

Quote:
But that doesn't mean that there aren't a whole heck of a lot of people at the bottom of the totem pole that bust their asses - despite massive pay gaps between the haves and have nots - to pump out top-notch, high-quality work every single day for those that more and more don't seem to appreciate it. And you would notice if you bothered to pay attention to anything other than football (I say this to everyone who chooses to only care about football, not this specific poster as I don't know if he follows other sports or not).
Again, see above. This isn’t just about football. On a personal note, I have probably been to more women’s basketball, volleyball, softball, and soccer games than anyone here. I have also had the opportunity to watch and follow some of our club sports as well. For me, if they play for Texas State, I will support them, doesn’t matter what sport.

Quote:
Apologies for the rant. I just hate when my friends get thrown into this BS because they're incredible at what they do and are some of the best in the business in their respective areas of expertise.
No worries on the rant, we all know it comes from a place of passion. Now we just need an AD that will let your friends showcase all the great work they do. Until we get a new AD, they will all be covered by a cloud of ineptitude.

Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:49 am
True Bobcat Fan

Post Re: David Bailiff
TheRevSWT wrote:
I think the bigger issue with that play is we were very successful running the ball.

So knowing that Nealy wasn't running the 2 minute offense very well at the time means... Ok, don't throw the ball.

But run it once to see. the RB's didn't have a case of fumblitis that night, so realistically, the worst that would happen was a no gain or negative gain, which... Big deal, then you kneel it.

Upside would be a decent to large gain to put us in better field position to utilize one of the better kickers we have had in our history.

There's absolutely no way you can honestly say (with a straight face at least) that it was the right call.

Congrats Rev as at least your analysis reflects the accurate historical facts of the game. And I can respect an opinion that says we should have attempted another run.

Of course "fumblitis" is a disease with a sudden and unpredictable onset.

So my face is stone cold straight when I contend that is was the right call for all of the reasons you cite. We ran over them all night, they killed us with their passing game, in the short field of overtime the odds were in our favor. AND we were at home.

Had we won, no one would have given the call a second thought. Had it ended the way that Wisconsin (?) game did, everyone would have been angry that we didn't take a knee.

But that is the least of our problems these days, isn't it?

Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:03 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

I will say that the call is completely subjective and can be argued until we're all blue in the face. In all honesty, there's no way I can go back and show you it was the wrong call, just like there's no way you can go back and show me how it was the right call. To me? It was taking the most talented team we had who was playing (overall) extremely well, and hid them in hopes for OT when the defense was giving up points like a sieve all night.

But you are absolutely correct in that it was 13 years ago, and we have much bigger fish to fry these days.

Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:56 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

TheRevSWT wrote:
I will say that the call is completely subjective and can be argued until we're all blue in the face. In all honesty, there's no way I can go back and show you it was the wrong call, just like there's no way you can go back and show me how it was the right call. To me? It was taking the most talented team we had who was playing (overall) extremely well, and hid them in hopes for OT when the defense was giving up points like a sieve all night.

But you are absolutely correct in that it was 13 years ago, and we have much bigger fish to fry these days.

Another factor in that call is momentum. I was in the student side behind that UNI bench when the knee occurred and the sold out stadium on our side was not happy with that call. The UNI bench began to jump up and down and then the fans began the booing after the next knee. What I viewed there was a very hyped up UNI squad and defeated TXST Team hoping for a shot to drive down the field and seal it going into the OT.

Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:00 pm
True Bobcat Fan

El Gato wrote:
TheRevSWT wrote:

Another factor in that call is momentum. I was in the student side behind that UNI bench when the knee occurred and the sold out stadium on our side was not happy with that call. The UNI bench began to jump up and down and then the fans began the booing after the next knee. What I viewed there was a very hyped up UNI squad and defeated TXST Team hoping for a shot to drive down the field and seal it going into the OT.

I feel like enough has gone wrong since then to properly put "The Knee" behind us. Let's move on. But also, at this point, who cares.

Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:04 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

chockyy wrote:

I feel like enough has gone wrong since then to properly put "The Knee" behind us. Let's move on. But also, at this point, who cares.

I mean what else is there really to talk about? Our shitty football team? I mean I always welcome a new discussion to change things up from the usual, "oh we lost again. Our OLine can't block worth a damn. Why are we putting the QB in again? What in the hell kind of play call was that?" Not that these are not relevant discussions, but like I said I personally love to talk about these times when we were actually good. Such fond memories of rushing the field after each of those victories (if we had taken down UNI we were gonna go for the goalpost :lol: )

Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:24 pm
True Bobcat Fan

El Gato wrote:
chockyy wrote:

I mean what else is there really to talk about? Our shitty football team? I mean I always welcome a new discussion to change things up from the usual, "oh we lost again. Our OLine can't block worth a damn. Why are we putting the QB in again? What in the hell kind of play call was that?" Not that these are not relevant discussions, but like I said I personally love to talk about these times when we were actually good. Such fond memories of rushing the field after each of those victories (if we had taken down UNI we were gonna go for the goalpost :lol: )

Good point.

That was also the only good thing about the ULL game - looking for myself on the field in the Sam Houston footage.

Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:13 pm