Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 David Baliff 
True Bobcat Fan

Post Re: David Baliff
Bailiff and Withers teaming up is laughable! Never happened and makes absolutely no sense. Why would he want to take a huge pay cut of about half a million?

Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:57 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Wait... I thought Bailiff was without work at this time.

Am I wrong?

Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:10 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Taxman said they were teaming up during Withers first season. Bailiff was still at Rice.

Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:16 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

ohhhhhhhhh-

Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:25 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

bobcat88 wrote:
Bailiff and Withers teaming up is laughable! Never happened and makes absolutely no sense. Why would he want to take a huge pay cut of about half a million?

He was on his way out at Rice, I'm guessing he could see the writing on the wall before the 2016 season (he had lost all his talent the year before and was rebuilding) and wanted to set up a new career. I dunno. Like I said, the source was suspect and it was all rumor mill talk, but that's why it wouldn't come as a surprise to me if he did have interest in the AD position.

Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:31 am
True Bobcat Fan

I personally have no idea how Bailiff would be as an AD, but I really hate the recycling of previous TXST coaches/AD's. We haven't had a culture of winning since Wacker was head coach in D2... I don't really have an interest in any previous coach or AD that has been a part of the TXST culture at any time in their career.

I want someone that has implemented a winning culture at a previous university and has new fresh ideas of how to take us to the next level.

Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:40 am
SuperCat

TXSTRiverBobcat wrote:
I personally have no idea how Bailiff would be as an AD, but I really hate the recycling of previous TXST coaches/AD's. We haven't had a culture of winning since Wacker was head coach in D2... I don't really have an interest in any previous coach or AD that has been a part of the TXST culture at any time in their career.

I want someone that has implemented a winning culture at a previous university and has new fresh ideas of how to take us to the next level.

x2

Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:48 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

I don't want Bailiff as a HC because... well, I just don't think he's what we need.

However, I do think someone like him as an AD (assuming he has the knowledge and qualifications) would be a great find, only because he truly does seem to care about the university.

From what I knew about his leaving in 2006, when he was offered at Rice, he actively tried to stay here, but we weren't ready to pony up that kind of money.

I think that kind of fire would be MUCH appreciated in the Athletic Director's seat. Also, I think he could really help in donations, bringing in some of the "old SWT money" (such as it is), as he is a direct tie to the past.

Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:17 am
True Bobcat Fan

Baliff seems okay but safe. The school needs new blood with a strong vision and energy to get it done. This takes buy in from the President. Get a younger assistant AD who has been kicking ass and give them a shot at the real deal to build their career. I don't want someone who is at the end of the career and doesn't have that level of energy to be bold.

The positive about Baliff is he cares, is connected to the school, and did a lot in short time of righting the ship. If they go the route of someone who has been here and knows the school, Baliff is the best option.

Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:19 am
True Bobcat Fan

TheRevSWT wrote:
I don't want Bailiff as a HC because... well, I just don't think he's what we need.

However, I do think someone like him as an AD (assuming he has the knowledge and qualifications) would be a great find, only because he truly does seem to care about the university.

From what I knew about his leaving in 2006, when he was offered at Rice, he actively tried to stay here, but we weren't ready to pony up that kind of money.

I think that kind of fire would be MUCH appreciated in the Athletic Director's seat. Also, I think he could really help in donations, bringing in some of the "old SWT money" (such as it is), as he is a direct tie to the past.

Agreed. I also think it would be a good hire because he obviously knows football, and he has a unique perspective on what it would take to win here.

Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:21 am
True Bobcat Fan

slycat wrote:
The positive about Baliff is he cares, is connected to the school, and did a lot in short time of righting the ship. If they go the route of someone who has been here and knows the school, Baliff is the best option.

This.

But, that is tier 2 in terms of what I want to see. Tier 1 option is this.

slycat wrote:
Baliff seems okay but safe. The school needs new blood with a strong vision and energy to get it done. This takes buy in from the President. Get a younger assistant AD who has been kicking ass and give them a shot at the real deal to build their career. I don't want someone who is at the end of the career and doesn't have that level of energy to be bold.

Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:02 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

I had interactions as a student around Bailiff as well have talked to several players from his days at Texas State as well as Rice. Bailiff is a good coach because of his ability to lead a good staff and get the best out of players. He has some issues with his game day decisions (beyond his txst knee). Most of all he is good at the politicking. He’s great at making connections with players, students, and alumni. As a coach or AD his goal wouldn’t be just to win games, he would be looking to pack the stands and create a buzz around the program.

Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:00 pm
True Bobcat Fan

west_texas_Cat wrote:
I had interactions as a student around Bailiff as well have talked to several players from his days at Texas State as well as Rice. Bailiff is a good coach because of his ability to lead a good staff and get the best out of players. He has some issues with his game day decisions (beyond his txst knee). Most of all he is good at the politicking. He’s great at making connections with players, students, and alumni. As a coach or AD his goal wouldn’t be just to win games, he would be looking to pack the stands and create a buzz around the program.

Which we desperately need in football and basketball. I would welcome him or another AD with a similar skillset. As a school, we made big changes with the name change and going to FBS. We never addressed our fan culture and what it takes in terms of support to build a winner.

Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:10 pm
Site Admin

Regardless of the knee (water under the bridge at this point, seriously), Bailiff would be an outstanding brand ambassador for Texas State - something we seriously lack. He's got my vote for AD.

Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:20 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

treacherous wrote:
Regardless of the knee (water under the bridge at this point, seriously), Bailiff would be an outstanding brand ambassador for Texas State - something we seriously lack. He's got my vote for AD.

He's not bad, but if we're voting on things, how come no one is on the Don Coryell train? With his experience and ties to our donor base and alumni already, he would HAVE to be at the top of the list.

Are we just wanting to clean house completely?

Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:30 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next