Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Our Next Head Coach 
True Bobcat Fan

Post Re: Our Next Head Coach
Saul Goodman wrote:
disagree. they might still get a bunch of *** kids, but no more ** and a couple of **** as well. we'd be much more in uh/smu territory than where we are now.

2017:
TX State: #92, 10 3-stars (0 higher rated)
SMU: #80, 10 3-stars (0 higher rated)

There isn't a huge difference in the kids SMU and Texas State have been getting. Is SMU getting better classes? Yes. It is enough to offset hiring inferior coaches to get those kid? No.

You think those guys are going to get a couple of four-star kids each year? Just stop. Schools like Mizzou, Virginia, Iowa, West Virginia, NC State, Minnesota, Texas Tech, and even Oklahoma State don't get multiple four-star kids the majority of years, yet Texas State will from having those guys as coaches?

Check out how many four-star kids those three coaches signed when they were at non P5 schools. Their recruiting success is predicated on being at one of the top programs in the country.

Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:44 am
True Bobcat Fan

uh...yeah...ok.... uh went from an avg rating of .797 to .856 in their 1st full year. yes, they had ed oliver in that class, but they also had 5 other players higher rated than txst's highest ever rated recruit, and that's what we want - better recruits.
that uh class had 2 players rated lower than .8, our class currently has 7

smu currently has 18 *** committed, we have 11 ***. their player avg is .833, ours is .808
smu had 17 *** commits last year, we had 8. their player avg was .820, ours was .786

i would much rather live in smu's world as far as talent goes, but hey...you do you.

Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:00 am
True Bobcat Fan

Do y'all remember that feeling of positivity and optimism when EW was hired??????

That feeling is gone.

~flag~ ~flag~
~flag~ ~flag~

Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:07 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Saul Goodman wrote:

smu currently has 18 *** committed, we have 11 ***. their player avg is .83, ours is .80

And that simply isn't a big disparity when it comes to actual results from those recruits on the field. That little gap is easily outweighed by having better coaches, not just some sort of magical recruiters you think are running around getting kids to commit to a shithole like Texas that has the same resources as New Mexico State.

Are you going to ignore the reality of not signing multiple four-star kids at big schools that I named while still claiming those guys would bring a couple of those recruits to Texas State each year?

You simply don't pick coordinators on their recruiting ability like you are wanting to do. It is absurd and a sure-fire way to fail as a program.

Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:23 pm
True Bobcat Fan

run faster wrote:
And that simply isn't a big disparity when it comes to actual results from those recruits on the field.

individually, you are correct. collectively, you couldn't be more wrong. but you know that.

Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:29 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Choosing coordinators simply because of their recruiting ability? Maybe, maybe not. I don't really know. But sometimes you need those Frank Wilsons and Trooper Taylors on staff. I'll take an avg position coach that's an elite (and possibly shady) recruiter any day.

Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:40 pm
True Bobcat Fan

fair point, but those guys are actually damn good coaches as well. the difference in the ut secondary is night and day from before naivar and jwash took over back there, and it's not like they are getting much help from up front. traylor's offenses at gilmer were historically high powered and he won 3 state titles in 14 years, and won an outrageous % of games.

Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:09 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Did none of these guys recruit when they were here just a few years ago? I would think that if we are recruiting better now than we were when they were here, that would tell you everything you need to know. They aren't going to magically become all star recruiters just because they've been under Tom Herman for the past few years at UH and UT...

Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:03 pm
True Bobcat Fan

they were pretty well known as the best recruiters on the staff back then as well.

Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:23 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Saul Goodman wrote:
they were pretty well known as the best recruiters on the staff back then as well.

Yea, but they didn't land any of the 4 star talent you seem to think they would be able to bring in now. They didn't even land as many 3 stars as we're getting now. I'm not trying to say they aren't good recruiters, just that they don't have some magic wand that they will wave and instantly get better recruits than we're getting now.

Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:44 pm
True Bobcat Fan

i think you underestimate the value of coming from programs like ut, ark, uh and the doors they've been knocking on lately. compare their resumes today vs what they looked like 8 years ago when they got here, and against our current staff - which has almost zero experience recruiting texas prior to this job.

there's no magic wand, but there is experience. you aren't the same schmuck you were 8 years ago, are you? can you not put anything better on your resume today than you could in 2010? would you not rather have coaches from a p5 program that recruits texas heavily and you've heard of, or from an fcs program who are complete unknowns?

again, this is all just fun for the boards, because withers ain't getting fired and none of us get to pick the next guy.

Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:59 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Saul Goodman wrote:
i think you underestimate the value of coming from programs like ut, ark, uh and the doors they've been knocking on lately. compare their resumes today vs what they looked like 8 years ago when they got here, and against our current staff - which has almost zero experience recruiting texas prior to this job.

True. I would still want to see more from UT before I'd be convinced to take a chance on previous TXST coaches. I'm still not convinced they have actually turned things around yet.

Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:11 pm
True Bobcat Fan

http://www2.kusports.com/news/2018/oct/10/ku-football-coach-david-beaty-fires-offensive-coor/

Doug Meacham is available... I thought he would be a good hire back when we got Withers. Still think he could be good.

Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:28 pm
True Bobcat Fan

i'd take meachum today and let him coach tomorrow night.

Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:30 pm
True Bobcat Fan

LSU Bobcat wrote:
Choosing coordinators simply because of their recruiting ability? Maybe, maybe not. I don't really know. But sometimes you need those Frank Wilsons and Trooper Taylors on staff. I'll take an avg position coach that's an elite (and possibly shady) recruiter any day.

And neither of those guys were coordinators. Exactly my point. You don't hire a coordinator simply for his recruiting prowess.

Saul Goodman wrote:

there's no magic wand, but there is experience. you aren't the same schmuck you were 8 years ago, are you? can you not put anything better on your resume today than you could in 2010? would you not rather have coaches from a p5 program that recruits texas heavily and you've heard of, or from an fcs program who are complete unknowns?

You're clueless. A 17 year old, 4-star kid isn't going to pick Texas State over Texas or Oklahoma simply because his recruiting coach used to be an assistant coach at Texas. My god. Please, think before you type.

Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:55 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next