Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 373 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 25  Next
 Our Next Head Coach 
Author Message
Bobcat Wannabe

Joined: Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:52 pm
Posts: 24
Reply with quote
Post Re: Our Next Head Coach
LSU Bobcat wrote:
I thought spavital might pop up but I'd say hell no. He was worthless at a&m and holgerson runs that offense, mot Jake. Longo could be an interesting one. Don't know much about him. Ole miss was stuck in a shitty situation after quickly letting freeze go and being stuck with a bad HC. Screw it, let's go after freeze. He's not doing anything.

The post below was one that I put up on this thread a short time ago...

Not a fan of the coordinator pick. Head Coach’s have different skill sets than OC’s.
Briles has spent a lot of time learning from his Dad but is there a PR problem with his name? I’m not saying there is…not sure any of us know until he would be hired. Seems like a bright guy.
On Longo, need to do some homework. His numbers are padded.
Look at Ole Miss offensive TD’s verses the top 4 teams on their schedule. He’s averaging 1.25 offensive TD’s per game. 76 points scored against a bad FCS school and 70 against LA Monroe will help your stats.
Our D is legit…bring in an offensive minded HC!


The link below is an article that kind of validates my post...Just don't think that Longo is our guy!

https://thedmonline.com/ole-miss-coachi ... o-a-close/


Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:59 am
Profile
BF.com Elite Sponsor
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 27, 2004 1:07 am
Posts: 3275
Location: San Marcos, TX.
Reply with quote
Post Re: Our Next Head Coach
Here’s a crazy idea. Let s give Wood a year to see what he can do. Keeps continuity of team. Allow him to make staff changes. Who knows. He might have a good idea on how to get over the offense hump. We might risk one recruiting class but it could e a calculated risk.
This also gives us a year to get our AD in order.

_________________
Semper Fidelis
"A bobcat will fight you with everything he has: with four claws, teeth, speed and brains."
-Oscar Strahan


Thu Nov 22, 2018 1:34 am
Profile
BF.com Elite Sponsor
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2003 8:34 pm
Posts: 15176
Location: Ten minutes north of Lake Travis
Reply with quote
Post Re: Our Next Head Coach
Mad_Cat wrote:
Here’s a crazy idea. Let s give Wood a year to see what he can do. Keeps continuity of team. Allow him to make staff changes. Who knows. He might have a good idea on how to get over the offense hump. We might risk one recruiting class but it could e a calculated risk.
This also gives us a year to get our AD in order.


I don't think many coaches would be too keen on a one year contract.

I'd be fine with giving him a 2 year contract with a healthy raise to make him a VERY low paid HC though.

Let's be real... If a new AD comes in, he'd need at least a year to really get his hands around everything. That would be next season (Woods - Year 1). Then? He can sit down and evaluate how Woods did, and what he needs to see for an extension.

That's assuming he's getting a new AD though.

_________________
Image


Thu Nov 22, 2018 2:14 am
Profile
Bobcat Wannabe
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:28 pm
Posts: 10
Reply with quote
Post Re: Our Next Head Coach
From the Austin American Statesman:

Quote:
4. So who should Texas State hire to replace Everett Withers, who was a disaster in San Marcos? It might be tempted to hire Art Briles or even his son, Kendall Briles, who’s now at Houston, but it shouldn’t. It could look at TCU offensive coordinator Sonny Cumbie or Texas cornerbacks coach Jason Washington, a Bobcats alum. But it probably needs a splashier hire.


I'm curious who the AAS would consider a 'splashier' hire.

Another potential candidate that I haven't seen on any lists so far would be UNT's Offensive Coordinator, Graham Harrell. (https://meangreensports.com/coaches.asp ... h=football)

He's young, has played football in Texas (both HS and College), and has some good experience on his resume (although none of it is head coaching). My only concern aside from lack of HC experience is that he could be snatched away by Texas Tech if they decide to part with Kingsbury.


Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:00 pm
Profile
Bobcat Wannabe

Joined: Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:52 pm
Posts: 24
Reply with quote
Post Re: Our Next Head Coach
BakerTXST04 wrote:
From the Austin American Statesman:

Quote:
4. So who should Texas State hire to replace Everett Withers, who was a disaster in San Marcos? It might be tempted to hire Art Briles or even his son, Kendall Briles, who’s now at Houston, but it shouldn’t. It could look at TCU offensive coordinator Sonny Cumbie or Texas cornerbacks coach Jason Washington, a Bobcats alum. But it probably needs a splashier hire.


I'm curious who the AAS would consider a 'splashier' hire.

Another potential candidate that I haven't seen on any lists so far would be UNT's Offensive Coordinator, Graham Harrell. (https://meangreensports.com/coaches.asp ... h=football)

He's young, has played football in Texas (both HS and College), and has some good experience on his resume (although none of it is head coaching). My only concern aside from lack of HC experience is that he could be snatched away by Texas Tech if they decide to part with Kingsbury.


A proven winning Head Coach that has either won at an elite level or has won at a high level at multiple places is what we need.
Chris Ash was hired at Rutgers after 18 years as an assistant coach including the DC at Wisconsin, Arkansas, and OHIO State.
DJ Durkin was hired at Maryland after 15 years as an assistant coach, DC at Florida and Michigan.
Clay Helton was an 18-year assistant coach, which included being the OC at Memphis and the OC at USC.

At the time all these guys seemed like good hires.
All had years of experience in great programs and held leadership roles.
But hiring someone that has always been an assistant…never a Head Coach is and always will be a crapshoot!

A Head Coach has a different skill set than assistants and we don't have the luxury of waiting for a first-time Head Coach to develop those skills!


Thu Nov 22, 2018 8:41 pm
Profile
SuperCat

Joined: Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:50 pm
Posts: 100
Reply with quote
Post Re: Our Next Head Coach
MickeyMack-7 wrote:
A proven winning Head Coach that has either won at an elite level or has won at a high level at multiple places is what we need.
Chris Ash was hired at Rutgers after 18 years as an assistant coach including the DC at Wisconsin, Arkansas, and OHIO State.
DJ Durkin was hired at Maryland after 15 years as an assistant coach, DC at Florida and Michigan.
Clay Helton was an 18-year assistant coach, which included being the OC at Memphis and the OC at USC.

At the time all these guys seemed like good hires.
All had years of experience in great programs and held leadership roles.
But hiring someone that has always been an assistant…never a Head Coach is and always will be a crapshoot!

A Head Coach has a different skill set than assistants and we don't have the luxury of waiting for a first-time Head Coach to develop those skills!


So someone like Larry Coker or Fran?

_________________
FireTeis.com


Thu Nov 22, 2018 8:58 pm
Profile
Bobcat Wannabe

Joined: Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:52 pm
Posts: 24
Reply with quote
Post Re: Our Next Head Coach
nUTSAck wrote:
MickeyMack-7 wrote:
A proven winning Head Coach that has either won at an elite level or has won at a high level at multiple places is what we need.
Chris Ash was hired at Rutgers after 18 years as an assistant coach including the DC at Wisconsin, Arkansas, and OHIO State.
DJ Durkin was hired at Maryland after 15 years as an assistant coach, DC at Florida and Michigan.
Clay Helton was an 18-year assistant coach, which included being the OC at Memphis and the OC at USC.

At the time all these guys seemed like good hires.
All had years of experience in great programs and held leadership roles.
But hiring someone that has always been an assistant…never a Head Coach is and always will be a crapshoot!

A Head Coach has a different skill set than assistants and we don't have the luxury of waiting for a first-time Head Coach to develop those skills!


So someone like Larry Coker or Fran?

If you read my previous posts…a high level FCS coach. Not a retread that is moving backwards.

FCS coaches learn to do more with less. They are always recruiting against FBS schools that have more than they do.
Retreads from elite FBS programs are use to having everything.
Guys like Fran and Larry Coker when he was at UTSA.


Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:17 pm
Profile
Junior Bobcat

Joined: Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:47 pm
Posts: 37
Reply with quote
Post Re: Our Next Head Coach
BakerTXST04 wrote:
From the Austin American Statesman:

Quote:
4. So who should Texas State hire to replace Everett Withers, who was a disaster in San Marcos? It might be tempted to hire Art Briles or even his son, Kendall Briles, who’s now at Houston, but it shouldn’t. It could look at TCU offensive coordinator Sonny Cumbie or Texas cornerbacks coach Jason Washington, a Bobcats alum. But it probably needs a splashier hire.


I'm curious who the AAS would consider a 'splashier' hire.

Another potential candidate that I haven't seen on any lists so far would be UNT's Offensive Coordinator, Graham Harrell. (https://meangreensports.com/coaches.asp ... h=football)

He's young, has played football in Texas (both HS and College), and has some good experience on his resume (although none of it is head coaching). My only concern aside from lack of HC experience is that he could be snatched away by Texas Tech if they decide to part with Kingsbury.


Hire his Dad Sam who is a very successful HSHC at Ennis and bring Graham in as OC.


Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:52 pm
Profile
Bobcat Wannabe
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:28 pm
Posts: 10
Reply with quote
Post Re: Our Next Head Coach
Looking at the teams in the FCS playoffs right now, it would be hard to find a coach that would meet the requirements of what we are looking for. It seems that most of them have less than five years of HC experience or have been tied to the same school for a very long time.

Chris Klieman of NDST and John Grass of Jacksonville State certainly stand out among the group, but you have to be concerned that one of them would be recruited by a P-5 team with a bigger budget.


Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:15 pm
Profile
Bobcat Wannabe

Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:09 pm
Posts: 12
Reply with quote
Post Re: Our Next Head Coach
It will definitely be considered a splash hire.


Fri Nov 23, 2018 7:12 am
Profile
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:21 pm
Posts: 7942
Location: Austin
Reply with quote
Post Re: Our Next Head Coach
cpwhite wrote:
It will be interesting if Naivar's name and maybe even J Wash's names crack the interview lists. If memory servers neither of them got a crack last go around.



I don't think either one was interested with their previous experiences with Teis, but I could be wrong (shocking, I know). 8) :lol:


Last edited by Bobcat.taxman on Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:25 am
Profile
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:21 pm
Posts: 7942
Location: Austin
Reply with quote
Post Re: Our Next Head Coach
Mad_Cat wrote:
Here’s a crazy idea. Let s give Wood a year to see what he can do. Keeps continuity of team. Allow him to make staff changes. Who knows. He might have a good idea on how to get over the offense hump. We might risk one recruiting class but it could e a calculated risk.
This also gives us a year to get our AD in order.




As I've posted before, I'd agree with this idea. Only caveat is if he doesn't pan out, it sets up back an extra year for a new coach to implement his offense/culture.


Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:29 am
Profile
Bobcat Wannabe

Joined: Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:56 am
Posts: 15
Reply with quote
Post Re: Our Next Head Coach
spinks wrote:
It will definitely be considered a splash hire.


Please elaborate.


Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:55 am
Profile
Bobcat Wannabe

Joined: Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:52 pm
Posts: 24
Reply with quote
Post Re: Our Next Head Coach
Bobcat.taxman wrote:
Mad_Cat wrote:
Here’s a crazy idea. Let s give Wood a year to see what he can do. Keeps continuity of team. Allow him to make staff changes. Who knows. He might have a good idea on how to get over the offense hump. We might risk one recruiting class but it could e a calculated risk.
This also gives us a year to get our AD in order.


As I've posted before, I'd agree with this idea. Only caveat is if he doesn't pan out, it sets up back an extra year for a new coach to implement his offense/culture.


I think most fans agree that Woods is a very good DC. But it’s highly unusual that a program that is losing promotes an assistant to be the Head Coach.
Also you can’t give a Head Coach a 2 year deal because of recruiting, the top flight kids won’t commit to a place if they know the HC might be gone before they're Sophomores!

On a side note, the Egg Bowl game last night confirmed my opinion on the Ole Miss OC.
3 turnovers, gave up 3 sacks, scored 3 points and they were 0 for 10 on 3rd down conversions!


Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:52 am
Profile
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:21 pm
Posts: 7942
Location: Austin
Reply with quote
Post Re: Our Next Head Coach
MickeyMack-7 wrote:

On a side note, the Egg Bowl game last night confirmed my opinion on the Ole Miss OC.
3 turnovers, gave up 3 sacks, scored 3 points and they were 0 for 10 on 3rd down conversions!




:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:


Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:07 am
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 373 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 25  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
All Rights Reserved, BobcatFans LLC
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group