Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 373 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 25  Next
 Our Next Head Coach 
True Bobcat Fan

Post Re: Our Next Head Coach
Why Texas State is a slightly better gig than you realize

Yes, it’s in the Sun Belt. Yes, it’s only been in FBS since 2012. Yes, it’s only had one winning season and never been to a bowl.

But the location will make it attractive to a young coach. It’s not like UTEP. It’s right between Austin and San Antonio.

It’s also in a slightly better place revenue-wise than its peers. Per USA Today, the Bobcats’ athletic department generated $38.4 million in revenue last year. That’s $6 million more than North Texas, $10 million more than UTSA, and $24 million more than UT-Arlington (a non-football school). There’s money in the banana stand in San Marcos.

That is due in large part to the student fees allocated to the athletic program for a school with the third-largest enrollment in the Sun Belt and on the higher end of schools in the state (34,000 students).

That tells coaches there’s money to pay assistants, key to recruiting when you’re trying to build a program.

A name that could be on the radar is Nebraska offensive line coach Greg Austin. He’s never been a coordinator, which means there would be some questions about whether he’d be in over his head, but he has the energetic profile (while coaching at UCF, he earned two master’s degrees in business) you like for a head coach at a G5 program looking for a foothold.

His schematic background (under Scott Frost and Chip Kelly), youth (34), and Texas roots (from a Houston suburb) mean he could be a fit, but prying him from his alma mater wouldn’t be easy.

It would be a departure from Everett Withers, whose ties weren’t in the state (very important in Texas) and didn’t do himself any favors with the alumni base.

Where it wouldn’t be a departure is in the fact that Austin is also black. Hiring two black coaches back to back is a rarity.

Although [Scottie] Montgomery and [Charlie] Strong followed black head coaches at their current roles, that’s the exception. A 2015 study by FootballScoop.com found that, dating back to 2000, 29 black FBS coaches have changed jobs, and only five had black successors. Strong became the sixth, when he replaced Willie Taggart at USF.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-footba ... ado-purdue

Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:42 am
SuperCat

^^^

Hiring someone based on skin color sounds like a bad idea.

Sorry but after looking at his resume he just doesn’t have good enough experience at this time to be an FBS head coach IMO.

Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:49 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

I'd like someone with HC experience somewhere along the line, please.

Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:53 pm
True Bobcat Fan

nUTSAck wrote:
Hiring someone based on skin color sounds like a bad idea.

true. not sure how you read those last couple of lines and came up w/ that response, but it's certainly a true statement.

Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:27 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Not sure why those last few lines had to be included in the article at all.

I had never heard of Greg Austin before reading that article. I don't need to know his skin color for any reason. It's completely inconsequential. Or should be at least.

Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:50 pm
True Bobcat Fan

they were simply pointing out that it's a rarity. completely agree that it was superfluous.

Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:51 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Rev, to your point about prior HC experience while it may be valuable in certain circumstances I believe the right Asst Coach with proper vision and leadership skills would be a better fit for us than a possible 50+ retread that we could afford.

Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:45 pm
SuperCat

This will probably piss off a lot of people but this is a list of candidates that I’ve seen suggested that I personally DO NOT WANT to be our next coach.

KC Keeler - Sam Houston State-HC
1) Relies too heavily on FBS transfers
2) Too old (59)

Joey McGuire - Baylor-Tight Ends
1) Too inexperienced, has only coached two years in college with no coordinator or head coach experience beyond high school.

Craig Naivar - Texas-Special Teams/Safeties
1) Retread, Coached under Fran

Pete Fredenburg - Mary Hardin Baylor-HC
1) He’s a DIII Coach
2) NCAA rules violations
3) Way too old (69)

Mike Jinks - Former Bowling Green HC
1) Failed as head coach in a weaker conference.

Greg Austin - Nebraska-O Line
1) Too inexperienced, has never been more than a position coach.

Mike Schultz - Lamar HC
1) Retread, OC under Fran
2) Too old (60)

Chris Kleiman - North Dakota State-HC
1) Good record but has no Texas ties

Mike MacIntyre - Former Colorado HC
1) Failed P5 Coach, career going backwards

Todd Graham - Former Pitt & ASU HC
1) Failed P5 Coach, career going backwards

David Bailiff - Former TXST & Rice HC
1) Doubt this would ever happen anyway but let’s get some new blood in here

Any High School Coach
1) lol you gotta be kidding? Go look up how Todd Dodge worked out for North Texas.

I might be forgetting a few but these are the ones I could remember or easily find.

Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:40 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Well no one you mentioned I would have in my top 3. Guess we can agree we wouldn't at least prefer them. Keeler might be ok. Guess I like Kendall briles, cumbie, and phil longo more.

Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:39 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

It will be interesting if Naivar's name and maybe even J Wash's names crack the interview lists. If memory servers neither of them got a crack last go around.

Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:39 pm
True Bobcat Fan

No way we hire Briles with Trauth in charge.

He would win, but I'd much rather lose than have that piece of shit on our campus.

Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:48 pm
Junior Bobcat

Bobcat1993 wrote:
I think a guy with head coaching / building a program experience is needed. I have heard Kerwin Bell at Valdosta State is very interested. Former Gator qb has family in Texas. He’s built programs to winners every where he has been! Great recruiter who’s great with people and also raising money! Plus a Offense of Coach is key. His Valdosta State team statically is one of the best ever this year while going 10 and 0 his 3rd season. Here are some of their impressive Stats!
52.2 points per game- #1 in all of college football
.80 points per play- #1 in all of college football
His quarterbacks have 51 touchdowns and 6 turnovers
8.2 yards per play
8.0 Per Rush
Average 268 passing and 268 rushing!

Valdosta State may not mean anything in Texas but many well known coaches have coached there: Kirby Smart, Mike Leach, Dana Holgersen, Hal Mumme, Will Muschamp and it is a football factory. I agree with Kerwin Bell being given consideration.

Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:51 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Baby briles would be a questionable hire, for sure. I'm at the point I'd rather just win and be relevant. People forget shit when you're successful.

Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:15 pm
True Bobcat Fan

LSU Bobcat wrote:
Baby briles would be a questionable hire, for sure. I'm at the point I'd rather just win and be relevant. People forget shit when you're successful.

They don't forget covering up rape.

Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:51 pm
True Bobcat Fan

How much shit did UofH get for hiring him? Do people still bring it up? Did UofH fail to adequately evaluate briles's past?

Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:04 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 373 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 25  Next