Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 373 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 25  Next
 Our Next Head Coach 
Junior Bobcat

Post Re: Our Next Head Coach
Pieeaters wrote:
MRN MAVERICK wrote:
What about old coach Fred from Umhb. Dude has a record of something like 250-40 all time, national titles and played football and graduated from Texas State. His wife is a Texas State graduate as well. I know he’s only been a head coached division 3 football but 250–40 is a nice number and he does a whole lot with a whole hell of a little up there in Belton. He was a DC for Baylor for many years as well as assistant head coach. Also a defensive coach for LSU before UMHB. He’s a huge huge bobcat fan and loves Texas State. Just curious on thoughts

Suspended this Spring and for the first 3 games without pay for NCAA violations. “Extra benefits” to players. Self reported.

Lol. If you knew the truth about what he did you would laugh extremely hard at anyone bringing that up. And he him self reported it once he found out it was not allowed.

Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:17 pm
Bobcat Wannabe

BobcatDis wrote:
I would be interested in Phil Longo and Kendall Briles

Not a fan of the coordinator pick. Head Coach’s have different skill sets than OC’s.
Briles has spent a lot of time learning from his Dad but is there a PR problem with his name? I’m not saying there is…not sure any of us know until he would be hired. Seems like a bright guy.
On Longo, need to do some homework. His numbers are padded.
Look at Ole Miss offensive TD’s verses the top 4 teams on their schedule. He’s averaging 1.25 offensive TD’s per game. 76 points scored against a bad FCS school and 70 against LA Monroe will help your stats.
Our D is legit…bring in an offensive minded HC!

Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:05 pm
True Bobcat Fan

You might not think he has enough experience or name recognition of a splash hire coach but I like a lot of what I'm seeing with Eric Morris. He is from the Texas Tech Mike Leach/Kliff Kingsbury system I would like to see in San Marcos without the big personality. He has done well at the religious school. He scored 35 points a game with UIW and turned them around from 1-10 to FCS playoff in the Southland Conference. He at least should get an interview.

Last edited by VP98 on Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:02 pm
True Bobcat Fan

https://1stand210.com/2018/11/19/report ... ng-search/

Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:03 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

According to a few on twitter (reporters, not just a-holes like me), TXST has expressed interest in him, VP

Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:03 pm
SuperCat

VP98 wrote:
You might not think he has enough experience or name recognition of a splash hire coach but I like a lot of what I'm seeing with Eric Morris. He is from the Texas Tech Mike Leach/Kliff Kingsbury system I would like to see in San Marcos without the big personality. He has done well at the religious school. He scored 35 points a game with UIW and turned them around from 1-10 to FCS playoff in the Southland Conference. He at least should get an interview.

Tyler Vitt's numbers will go through the roof. Hopefully completions, not INT's. WJIII should move to reciever. Fortunatley, air raid QB's don't hold the ball for long because we still haven't proven we can block much.

Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:19 pm
True Bobcat Fan

MRN MAVERICK wrote:
Pieeaters wrote:
MRN MAVERICK wrote:
What about old coach Fred from Umhb. Dude has a record of something like 250-40 all time, national titles and played football and graduated from Texas State. His wife is a Texas State graduate as well. I know he’s only been a head coached division 3 football but 250–40 is a nice number and he does a whole lot with a whole hell of a little up there in Belton. He was a DC for Baylor for many years as well as assistant head coach. Also a defensive coach for LSU before UMHB. He’s a huge huge bobcat fan and loves Texas State. Just curious on thoughts

Suspended this Spring and for the first 3 games without pay for NCAA violations. “Extra benefits” to players. Self reported.

Lol. If you knew the truth about what he did you would laugh extremely hard at anyone bringing that up. And he him self reported it once he found out it was not allowed.

Then why don't you tell us the truth about what he did?

Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:38 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Ah... always the fun time hearing the names being throw out there. Even Bruce Feldman posted some of the same names.

Its hype and just that. No way a top P5 OC or DC comes to TXST. Heck... even UTSA went with a RB coach that could recruit. They didn't go OC/DC from P5... they went P5 position coach.

We don't have the money to go get one of these guys. Then add our AD and believe you me... coaches go where they either know the AD (Fisher to A&M due to connection with Scott Woodard) or have heard enough good things about an AD to go there (very doubtful coaches are hearing this about our AD). So what are we left with? Guys like Withers that wanted to coach DI ball (why he took JM job and they never went DI) so he left.

At this point, we can get a DI OC/DC but they aren't coming from P5; rather, G5. Those P5 boys are looking at next P5 DI opportunity.

Personally, I'd prefer to move away from the spread type offense but that is the popular/norm offense so I doubt we will do it.

I don't have any names because I don't watch enough football these days to "know" but we need a coach to win and win regardless of help from Athletic administration because that hasn't been forthcoming.

There are a ton things Withers noted that still need to be done:
1. DI-AA Title Banners need to be up in the stadium
2. DI-AA trophies need to be in main athletic hallway

Last edited by Bobkat34 on Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:58 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Bobkat34, I'd be interested to hear your take on the firing. Not just whether he deserved to be fired, but also how it was handled.

Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:18 pm
Junior Bobcat

VP98 wrote:

This is another reason I wanted to give Withers one more year. To see how Morris does next year, have a bigger sample pool and make sure this year ain't a fluke.

Regardless, I think Morris provides the young, hungry, Texas-tied, offensive-minded, program-turning-around, head-coach-experienced, affordable guy we're looking for

Edit: clarity

Last edited by DrumCat on Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:24 pm
Bobcat Wannabe

I think a guy with head coaching / building a program experience is needed. I have heard Kerwin Bell at Valdosta State is very interested. Former Gator qb has family in Texas. He’s built programs to winners every where he has been! Great recruiter who’s great with people and also raising money! Plus a Offense of Coach is key. His Valdosta State team statically is one of the best ever this year while going 10 and 0 his 3rd season. Here are some of their impressive Stats!
52.2 points per game- #1 in all of college football
.80 points per play- #1 in all of college football
His quarterbacks have 51 touchdowns and 6 turnovers
8.2 yards per play
8.0 Per Rush
Average 268 passing and 268 rushing!

Last edited by Bobcat1993 on Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:27 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

DrumCat wrote:

This is another reason I wanted to give Withers one more year. To see what he does next year, have a bigger sample pool and make sure this year ain't a fluke.

Regardless, I think Morris provides the young, hungry, Texas-tied, offensive-minded, program-turning-around, head-coach-experienced, affordable guy we're looking for.

There are 7-28 reasons to be able to glean that this year was no "fluke". :roll: :roll:

Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:35 pm
Junior Bobcat

Bobcat.taxman wrote:
DrumCat wrote:

This is another reason I wanted to give Withers one more year. To see what he does next year, have a bigger sample pool and make sure this year ain't a fluke.

Regardless, I think Morris provides the young, hungry, Texas-tied, offensive-minded, program-turning-around, head-coach-experienced, affordable guy we're looking for.

There are 7-28 reasons to be able to glean that this year was no "fluke". :roll: :roll:

Sorry, I didn't write that clearly. To make sure Morris' season this year wasn't a fluke.

Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:37 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Bobkat34 wrote:

We don't have the money to go get one of these guys. Then add our AD and believe you me... coaches go where they either know the AD (Fisher to A&M due to connection with Scott Woodard) or have heard enough good things about an AD to go there (very doubtful coaches are hearing this about our AD). So what are we left with? Guys like Withers that wanted to coach DI ball (why he took JM job and they never went DI) so he left.

Any persons that would turn down a $750K job and the chance to be the top man in the program based on "not hearing good things about the AD" is probably not someone you would want making football decisions that would impact a program. That's stupid.

Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:37 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

DrumCat wrote:

Sorry, I didn't write that clearly. To make sure Morris' season this year wasn't a fluke.

Oh, ok. Cool. My apologies. That's a very good point. :-|| :-||

Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:38 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 373 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 25  Next