Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 373 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 25  Next
 Our Next Head Coach 
True Bobcat Fan

Post Re: Our Next Head Coach
LSU Bobcat wrote:
I thought spavital might pop up but I'd say hell no. He was worthless at a&m and holgerson runs that offense, mot Jake. Longo could be an interesting one. Don't know much about him. Ole miss was stuck in a shitty situation after quickly letting freeze go and being stuck with a bad HC. Screw it, let's go after freeze. He's not doing anything.

I actually like the idea of Jake Spavital.

https://www.si.com/college-football/2017/08/24/coaching-carousel-preview-best-candidates-assistants-hires
Quote:
Jake Spavital, West Virginia offensive coordinator: A third-generation football coach, the 32-year-old Spavital returned to Morgantown (where he was the quarterbacks coach in 2011-12) to take over as play-caller on what should be a very potent offense with Will Grier at QB. Last year, Spavital directed a Cal offense that had to replace No. 1 draft pick Jared Goff and the team’s top six receivers and still produced the nation’s No. 10 offense, only a two-spot drop from the previous year. During his time at West Virginia, Texas A&M and Cal, Spavital has proven to be an elite recruiter, landing both five-star talent (Christian Kirk, Kyle Allen and Kyler Murray) while also unearthing unheralded prospects who blossomed into stars (Kevin White, Daryl Worley and Josh Reynolds). He was also a big reason why Cal landed coveted grad transfer QB Davis Webb last year. If Philip Montgomery leaves Tulsa, Spavital—a Tulsa native who interviewed for the head coaching job there three years ago—would make a lot of sense.

Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:17 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Am I the only one that is not so much concerned with the HC, as the salaries we are giving to the assistants?

Also, am I the only one that has a hard time getting excited about the prospect of a new coach if Larry is in his chair? I just feel like we could swing a coup and bring in Nick Saban... he'd be 6-6 for the next decade as long as Larry is his boss.

The man not only sucks the fun out of everything Bobcat related, but he also seems to suck the drive to succeed out of them as well.

Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:21 am
Junior Bobcat

Spiv was bad at A&M. Holgorsen runs the WVU show and sonny dykes ran the offense when he was at cal. With that said. I like the type of offenses he has always been a part of. I think his style fits what we need here

Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:22 am
True Bobcat Fan

If Spavital isn't the reason those offenses were good, then the only thing he has going for him is recruiting. I still think he would be better than what we have, but sounds like he could be a risk like Withers. Looks good on the surface, but might turn out to be a flop.

Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:25 am
True Bobcat Fan

yea, spav would be one of the worst possible hires. I still like the idea of sonny cumbie. Offensive mind and a QB coach. The TCU offense hasn't been that great this year though, but that's after losing their starting QB for the year midway through the season.

Quote:
Newy Scruggs: TCU's Sonny Combie will be a head coach if Shawn Robinson becomes a star.

Gary Patterson has produced successful assistants. David Bailff won the 2013 Conference USA title when he was at Rice. Justin Fuente went from Memphis to Virginia Tech. He was the 2016 ACC Coach of the Year. Doug Meacham had job offers but declined to pull the trigger. He stayed at TCU and lost his playcalling duties to Cumbie and left for Kansas.

Cumbie is a darn good recruiter and his work with quarterbacks will make him in-demand as a head coach if Robinson becomes a star.

Adam Grosbard: The name that jumps to mind is TCU OC Sonny Cumbie.

If him turning down the UT OC job a couple of years ago proves anything, it's that Cumbie will be selective with whatever job he decides to take next. But if Kliff Kingsbury is let go after this season, you'd have to imagine that Cumbie will be a strong candidate as a former Red Raider himself.

Matt Mosley: I guess I'd go with TCU offensive coordinator Sonny Cumbie. If the Frogs have a big season with new QB Shawn Robinson, Cumbie could get some looks. He's already turned down the Horns for their OC job, which turned out to be a smart move.

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/college-sports/collegesports/2018/05/01/assistant-coach-will-likely-get-head-coaching-gig-first-look-towards-texas-tcu-answers

Last edited by LSU Bobcat on Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:38 am, edited 2 times in total.

Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:36 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

TheRevSWT wrote:
Am I the only one that is not so much concerned with the HC, as the salaries we are giving to the assistants?

Also, am I the only one that has a hard time getting excited about the prospect of a new coach if Larry is in his chair? I just feel like we could swing a coup and bring in Nick Saban... he'd be 6-6 for the next decade as long as Larry is his boss.

The man not only sucks the fun out of everything Bobcat related, but he also seems to suck the drive to succeed out of them as well.

This is what I don't get from this crowd....how on earth does an AD have ANY influence over W/L record? That's on the coach himself.

Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:37 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

:sombrero: :sombrero: :sombrero:
:texasstate: :texasstate: :texasstate:

Any thoughts on Graham Harrell out of UNT?

Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:40 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Leadership creates the culture. If the leadership is not putting an emphasis on winning, all of a sudden, winning becomes less of a priority to the coaches. You're gonna end up focusing on the stuff that is most important to leadership.

You can get someone special who doesn't give a fuck what the culture is, you're gonna do it your way. But those folks generally don't last long in the organization.

Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:41 am
True Bobcat Fan

Bobcat.taxman wrote:
Any thoughts on Graham Harrell out of UNT?

i don't think he has the skins on the wall to be truly considered, but that's the kind of guy i would take a risk on. hell, the same kind of risk has paid off for unt w/ littrell (although he had a *bit* more seasoning).

Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:50 am
True Bobcat Fan

Ive seen lots of WV fans begging us to take Spavital off their hands.

Last edited by josh_ooh_ahh on Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:02 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

josh_ooh_ahh wrote:
Ive seen lots of WV fans begging us to take him off their hands.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:03 pm
Junior Bobcat

Bobcat.taxman wrote:
TheRevSWT wrote:

This is what I don't get from this crowd....how on earth does an AD have ANY influence over W/L record? That's on the coach himself.

ADs matter in recruiting. Hiring good marketing staff to make the program cool and recruiting budget to allow staff to search everywhere for the talent.

LT made the worst decision ever to vote for the Sun Belt about shutting down summer camps without consulting any other schools or his own program. He only cares about saving $ and every coach in the department agrees.

He lost the track coach a few years ago because he didn’t want to give her a 5k raise for winning the league. His rationale was he was afraid every coach would ask for a raise.

Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:03 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

txstatefan715 wrote:
He only cares about saving $ and every coach in the department agrees.

He lost the track coach a few years ago because he didn’t want to give her a 5k raise for winning the league. His rationale was he was afraid every coach would ask for a raise.

In case most people forget, the AD is paying for tons and tons of bonds for all those fancy facilities that everyone kept whining about "to compete." Money doesn't grow on trees, and like most of the sports themselves, the AD has a budget to stay under.

Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:13 pm
True Bobcat Fan

The AD also matters in terms of budgeting for assistant coach salary pool. Apparently we have a very inferior assistant coach salary pool compared to our peers.

Might be why Withers biggest downfall was his assistant coaching hires... Couldn't get anyone good to come here for the salary.

I have it on good authority that Teis hung up on Applewhite the second he asked about what his assistant coaches salary pool looked like. Think about that for a second. Larry Teis hung up on Applewhite after he asked about what his assistants would make....

Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:13 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

TXSTRiverBobcat wrote:

I have it on good authority that Teis hung up on Applewhite the second he asked about what his assistant coaches salary pool looked like. Think about that for a second. Larry Teis hung up on Applewhite after he asked about what his assistants would make....

Seriously, seriously doubt that. I'll file this under smear rumors.

Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:14 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 373 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 25  Next