How TXST wins vs. UTSA 
Junior Bobcat

Post Re: How TXST wins vs. UTSA
Bobcat.taxman wrote:
78666life wrote:
I know there is already a thread for the game this weekend but I got tired of seeing all the negativity on this site. Hopefully this brings only positive comments. What do the Bobcats absolutely need to do this weekend on offense, defense, and special teams to win this game? Also even if doesn't correlate to a win, what would you like to see out of the team Saturday to give us some hope the rest of the season?

Offense:

Start, play and sink or swim with Tyler Vitt.

Defense:

Give help to our CBs over the top and play a bend-don't-break defensive scheme until you are close to the redzone and use it and the sideline as the extra defender (what good defensive teams do). Our front seven can hold their own with the run game/underneath passing.

Special Teams:

Work more for field position and less for the big play.

Attachments:
C8F8562D-EB3A-420E-AA4B-C75D534523AD.jpeg
C8F8562D-EB3A-420E-AA4B-C75D534523AD.jpeg [ 174.34 KiB | Viewed 449 times ]
Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:45 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

MRN MAVERICK wrote:

You are outside your mind with your ice cold Vitt takes... the coaching staff has seen the qbs all fall camp and every practice since. You truly believe they are purposely playing the lesser of the 2 quarterbacks?

They did it last year, they did it the year before. When it comes down to it, you go with the one with more upside for future development who will give you the same chances to win this year, but more chance to win further down the road.

Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:57 pm
Junior Bobcat

That’s my point.. they obviously believe that person is Willie Jones.

Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:00 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

MRN MAVERICK wrote:
That’s my point.. they obviously believe that person is Willie Jones.

Not disagreeing with you on that, but that's what I refer to as "tunnel vision". Fran had it with Rutherford. The idea that it's better to have an athlete than a pure passer playing QB is sooooooo high schoolish.

WJIII is an athlete, but we can only run so many designed QB draws and "toss them up deep throws and hope for a prayer" before the other team figures us out.

The intermediate passing game is where Vitt has higher upside, as well as going through his progressions. With WJIII completing a whopping 53% of his passes (and if you take away cupcake TSU he's at 47%) and only averaging 2.9 yards per rush (again excluding TSU), it's not like he is THAT much of a dual threat, we need to make the move.

Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:07 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Bobcat.taxman wrote:
WJIII completing a whopping 53% of his passes

and what would you say that 83-93% of those pass attempts were horizontal across the field passes in the flats for little/no gain or plays that ended in a loss that were covered up immediately? what % of his passes have been completed for more than 10 yards before the run after catch? what % of his passes have been completed in the redzone? what % of his passes have been completed in the end zone?

withers is going to try this brand new play against utsa that is going to throw them for an absolute loop at least 10 times next game and utsa is going to have no idea what just hit them...

guys.... get ready.....its called the bubble screen!!!

...and if that doesnt work he'll keep doing it.....or call a rush over tackle for 1.5 yards and if that doesnt work he'll do that that again anyway

Last edited by Phratcatbocoloco on Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:13 pm
Junior Bobcat

Bobcat.taxman wrote:
MRN MAVERICK wrote:

You are outside your mind with your ice cold Vitt takes... the coaching staff has seen the qbs all fall camp and every practice since. You truly believe they are purposely playing the lesser of the 2 quarterbacks?

They did it last year, they did it the year before. When it comes down to it, you go with the one with more upside for future development who will give you the same chances to win this year, but more chance to win further down the road.

I think them redshirting Vitt proves that they believe in that. He can use this year to learn, get a few reps in, and develop for future years since he'll still have full eligibility.

Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:14 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Bobcat.taxman wrote:
The intermediate passing game is where Vitt has higher upside, as well as going through his progressions. .

Not trying to antagonize you, but rather ask an honest question. What gives you the idea that this is true? In his limited playtime this year, on at least two occasions, I've seen him stare down receivers, resulting in a pick. If his ceiling his higher, seems to me his floor at the moment is much lower.

Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:19 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

chockyy wrote:
Bobcat.taxman wrote:
The intermediate passing game is where Vitt has higher upside, as well as going through his progressions. .

Not trying to antagonize you, but rather ask an honest question. What gives you the idea that this is true? In his limited playtime this year, on at least two occasions, I've seen him stare down receivers, resulting in a pick. If his ceiling his higher, seems to me his floor at the moment is much lower.

At the open scrimmage they had during the fall, you could see he picked his targets downfield a lot more than WJIII and Gipson. Both of them used the short screen or dumpoff a lot more, whereas Vitt kept his eyes downfield and most his throws were in the 8-15 yard range.

Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:13 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

I worry if the game is close, Wither's mismanage of the clock at the end of the second and fourth quarters will cost us the game.

Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:30 am
True Bobcat Fan

hes no different than fran in that respect. fran had along history of wanting to "take the effective of a knee approach" into half or the 4th quarter with way too much time left. fran seemingly wanted to take knees even when we were behind. they are both good at throwing in the towel

Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:52 am
True Bobcat Fan

Phratcatbocoloco wrote:
hes no different than fran in that respect. fran had along history of wanting to "take the effective of a knee approach" into half or the 4th quarter with way too much time left. fran seemingly wanted to take knees even when we were behind. they are both good at throwing in the towel

I think Fran was worse though. He would needlessly burn timeouts like they were nothing, and not take timeouts when needed.

I lost count of how many times Fran took 3 timeouts into half or had timeouts left at the end of a close game when we had the ball. Or how many times we took timeouts after a dead ball play like a kickoff or punt.

The guy had no idea how to manage a game and we lost several games each season that we should have won because of that.

Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:11 am
True Bobcat Fan

78666life wrote:
Hopefully this brings only positive comments.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
78666life wrote:
What do the Bobcats absolutely need to do this weekend on offense, defense, and special teams to win this game?

get keenan brown involved early and often. big target in the middle 1/3 of the field helps open up both the run and the wr passing game. only 2 catches vs usa - needs to be targeted 10+ times tomorrow.

prioritize the rb run over the qb run. need more from taylor and brown than the <3yp from last week. find a way for them to have some clear lanes instead of running them between the tackles.

get to the qb. utsa is 2nd to last in sacks allowed. yes, they've been playing up, but the blueprint is there, so follow it.

hold on to the gd ball. zero turnovers. // get turnovers. - we are 8th in takeways, 49th in to margin.

limit big plays on defense. our achilles heel.

take points when we can - hit those fg. no real excuse when you're indoors, so do work sherm.

Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:49 am
True Bobcat Fan

Saul Goodman wrote:
prioritize the rb run over the qb run. need more from taylor and brown than the <3yp from last week. find a way for them to have some clear lanes instead of running them between the tackles.

Willie is gonna get killed if we keep running him so much. It's only a matter of time.

Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:22 am
True Bobcat Fan

Agreed. Let him scramble when necessary, but stop calling designed QB draws. They don't work and they risk getting Jones hurt.

Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:59 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

TXSTRiverBobcat wrote:
Agreed. Let him scramble when necessary, but stop calling designed QB draws. They don't work and they risk getting Jones hurt.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but we hardly ever ran that even with Barrick under center if memory serves me correctly.

Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:31 pm