Tyler Vitt.... 
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Post Tyler Vitt....
:sombrero: :sombrero: :sombrero:
:texasstate: :texasstate: :texasstate:

We need to start him and let him learn from the school of hard knocks. He has better presence in the pocket, commands his huddle better and makes quicker reads/decisions. Having seen now a year and a half of WJIII, he hasn't progressed at all from doing one read and then running. If he wants to run in open space, we need to make him a WR (which honestly he could have great potential at the position with his elusiveness, athleticism and height).

We have two weeks of practice and a sub-par game coming up, we need to give Vitt as many first-team reps as possible without him having to look over his shoulder before the UTSA game.

The biggest knock on Withers I have in his two years is that he has no idea how to work the QB position. He dropped the ball on Tyler Jones, he dropped the ball on Williams (if he had started WJIII, it could have been a different trajectory on his development), and now he's dropping the ball on Vitt. There's a reason why Fran went with the sink-or-swim approach with TJ when he was a Frosh, and it worked somewhat to the tune of the 6-6 and 7-5 seasons.

Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:12 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Post Re: Tyler Vitt....
First, Vitt should NEVER have been put in this game. The offense was getting destroyed all game, so he's not gaining valuable in game experience today. And DEFINITELY not backed up in our own territory.

Next, given the new redshirt rules... I don't want him starting the rest of the season. play him plenty next game to give him some game experience and exposure in a semi controlled environment. Then let him sit for a while, and put him in 2 other games where Willie struggles.

No need to burn his redshirt this season since it doesn't seem we're ready to compete for a bowl or conference title. I'd rather get him 4 games of experience this season and then ride him next year when (theoretically) our line is closer to adequate and the receivers are more seasoned.

Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:20 pm
True Bobcat Fan

tyler vitt for sure i like his poise and he seems to be more comfortable dealing with nonstop blitz

Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:18 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

TheRevSWT wrote:
First, Vitt should NEVER have been put in this game. The offense was getting destroyed all game, so he's not gaining valuable in game experience today. And DEFINITELY not backed up in our own territory.

Next, given the new redshirt rules... I don't want him starting the rest of the season. play him plenty next game to give him some game experience and exposure in a semi controlled environment. Then let him sit for a while, and put him in 2 other games where Willie struggles.

No need to burn his redshirt this season since it doesn't seem we're ready to compete for a bowl or conference title. I'd rather get him 4 games of experience this season and then ride him next year when (theoretically) our line is closer to adequate and the receivers are more seasoned.

All good points; sound logic.

Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:00 am
True Bobcat Fan

Phratcatbocoloco wrote:
tyler vitt for sure i like his poise and he seems to be more comfortable dealing with nonstop blitz

I liked his poise as well.

I do agree that we should not waste his redshirt....but get him some more playing time in 3 more games.

Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:56 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Vitt is the #2 QB. I know last week's depth chart listed Vitt/Gipson both as the #2, but Vitt is the #2.

Unless Willie stays healthy, plays much better the rest of the season, and we aren't involved in many blowouts I'd expect Vitt's redshirt as good as burnt. Keep in mind Willie played in 10 of 12 games last year as the #2. My guess is Vitt plays in more than 4 games.

Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:57 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

x wrote:
Vitt is the #2 QB. I know last week's depth chart listed Vitt/Gipson both as the #2, but Vitt is the #2.

Unless Willie stays healthy, plays much better the rest of the season, and we aren't involved in many blowouts I'd expect Vitt's redshirt as good as burnt. Keep in mind Willie played in 10 of 12 games last year as the #2. My guess is Vitt plays in more than 4 games.

Not saying you are wrong, but that approach to me is just silly. If you're gonna burn his redshirt, then that says to me he is THE guy... So play him like THE guy and start him. Don't drop him in for a series or two here and there.

I can understand if WJIII gets injured or the like, but the (pardon the pun) willy nilly spot duty for a true freshman is just... crazy to me.

Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:11 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Yeah and I could be wrong. New redshirt rule may adjust their strategy.

But Williams could have played every snap last year and we could've kept the redshirt on WIllie, but we went with the willy nilly spot duty with a true freshman approach with him last year.

Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:15 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

TheRevSWT wrote:

Not saying you are wrong, but that approach to me is just silly. If you're gonna burn his redshirt, then that says to me he is THE guy... So play him like THE guy and start him. Don't drop him in for a series or two here and there.

I can understand if WJIII gets injured or the like, but the (pardon the pun) willy nilly spot duty for a true freshman is just... crazy to me.

That's what I mean by the mismanagement at the QB position. Last year, it was obvious that WJIII should have been the guy. This year, it's obvious that Vitt should be the guy. But not committing to the clearly better player (WJIII last year, TV this year) hampers their development as well as their confidence.

Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:20 pm
True Bobcat Fan

I don't think we should decide yet. Give him some more time Saturday against weaker competition and get a better read on where he is in his development. Its hard to tell much when the team was so overmatched. I typically would say to shirt him if its a close call in any way. However, Withers likely knows that he has to win next year to keep his job. He may want a qb with a decent number of snaps against conference opponents under his belt.

Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:16 pm
True Bobcat Fan

If we're entering week 7 with 0-1 wins, sure put Vitt in. We have to give WJ3 some time to gel, else we'd be shooting ourselves in the foot by putting Vitt in early.

Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:21 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

LT Spider wrote:
I don't think we should decide yet. Give him some more time Saturday against weaker competition and get a better read on where he is in his development. Its hard to tell much when the team was so overmatched. I typically would say to shirt him if its a close call in any way. However, Withers likely knows that he has to win next year to keep his job. He may want a qb with a decent number of snaps against conference opponents under his belt.

The TSU game was indicative of the trouble we are in. Despite the heroics by #6 Keenen Brown the passing game was anemic most of the night.

From the looks of it, Vitt is being redshirted and that's ok. That way we will have him for an extra year when the next coach comes in and better develops his talent.

Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:00 am
True Bobcat Fan

Bobcat.taxman wrote:
LT Spider wrote:

The TSU game was indicative of the trouble we are in. Despite the heroics by #6 Keenen Brown the passing game was anemic most of the night.

From the looks of it, Vitt is being redshirted and that's ok. That way we will have him for an extra year when the next coach comes in and better develops his talent.

That's some funny stuff right there. The current guy hasn't even proven himself to be better than the last guy. Not in talent development, nor in wins/losses . . . .

. . . yet you assume that "The NEXT guy" will better develop his (Vitt) talent.

What in this AD, or this program even leads to to suggest such a thing?

Funny stuff though, I'll give you that . . .

Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:08 am
True Bobcat Fan

Bobcat87 wrote:
Bobcat.taxman wrote:
LT Spider wrote:

That's some funny stuff right there. The current guy hasn't even proven himself to be better than the last guy. Not in talent development, nor in wins/losses . . . .

. . . yet you assume that "The NEXT guy" will better develop his (Vitt) talent.

What in this AD, or this program even leads to to suggest such a thing?

Funny stuff though, I'll give you that . . .

I have no idea if Vitt will develop into a player or not. I do know that the QB coach who wanted Vitt had been a QB coach for only one year in his life, at a D3 school, yet was given that position by Withers at Texas State.

For the 3,249th time: Withers' biggest downfall will be how and who he hires.

Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:43 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

run faster wrote:

I have no idea if Vitt will develop into a player or not. I do know that the QB coach who wanted Vitt had been a QB coach for only one year in his life, at a D3 school, yet was given that position by Withers at Texas State.

For the 3,249th time: Withers' biggest downfall will be how and who he hires.

Then that coach can spot talent or Vitt just fell into our laps A La Tyler Arndt, because Vitt was the District MVP of a district that is historically strong and sent four teams to the playoffs last year. He threw for 2500 yards, 25 TDs and ran for 1,030 yards and 8 TD's. Granted, those are high school numbers, but it's a mirror image of what Barrick Nealy did his Senior year at TxSt (2800 yds passing, 21 TDs, 1057 rushing 13 TDs). I've watched a ton of tape on him, Vitt can play.

Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:51 pm