Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 It's Actually Worse Than It Looks 
Author Message
True Bobcat Fan

Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 5:27 pm
Posts: 6486
Location: Houston
Reply with quote
Post Re: It's Actually Worse Than It Looks
JMU_FAN wrote:
I haven't visited this place since EW was first hired by TXST. I figured I'd take a peek as EW came up on the JMU boards today. Anyways I figured I'd weigh in on some of the EW points. Be warned, it is heavy on JMU facts who is an "irrelevant FCS" team, but it will stoke the fire you all have burning against Run Faster. Bold points for those of you who fear the length of the post.

First things first, JMU is not missing EW. That is a fact. However, a sensible JMU fan will appreciate EW's time at JMU. We had missed the playoffs 4 out of the 5 previous seasons and were coming off a 6-6 season (2002 was the last season JMU had less than 6 wins). We needed someone new. EW brought a lot of excitement back to the program through not only wins but also his FBS mentality. He helped drive increased donations, new uniforms, new locker room, much more "juice" as he would say.

I'm not going to say we "lucked" into Vad. Vad came to JMU because of EW. I mean Vad was down at TXST for a few days earlier this summer hanging around the team. With that said we already had a QB who transfered up to Marshall after Vad was brought in. Birdsong was a record holder at JMU in his only year starting. He attended camp with the Seahawks and Saints. He had talent, especially for the FCS level.

We had a high scoring offense under EW, "successful" is up to debate. Some of the high scores were due to style and tempo of EW's offense. Some was due to our defense giving up 30+ points a game (also due to EW's style). And obviously some was was due to having Lee. Run Faster isn't right, or wrong, to point out Lee's stats as he was a beast, but they were helped by the style and tempo.

Run Faster is incorrect to bring up how we performed under our backup QB following Lee's injury. He pointed out that we went 2-3 after Lee got hurt but correlation does not equal causation. We lost the game Le got hurt (#11 ranked team), we lost the next by 3 (#16 ranked team), we beat a 4-7 Delaware which always plays JMU tough, we beat a team, and then we lost in playoffs. So Run Fasters headline is we went 2-3, but the story is we went 0-3 against playoff teams. Which leads me to my next point....

EW was 1-5 against playoff teams. EW couldn't beat a good team to save his life. We lost back to back home playoff games during his tenure. One was to Colgate who I don't think gave the full FCS allotment of scholarships. Basically, EW wins the games he should win and losses the toss up games (with the exception of us beating a 2-10 SMU). Thankfully for us, every JMU "should" win 7+ games a year. Unfortunately for you all, well, that isn't the case. So Run Faster is correct when he says we weren't winning "due to any great schemes or coaching."

To clarify about our "luck" in recruiting Lee. We currently have a starting ACC QB calling the shots this year. A decade ago we had a Louisville starting QB transfer and led us to our first title. We have had a 4 start Vanderbilt QB transfer but never play. Our QB in '16 and '17 originally committed to Miami of Ohio. We had a Steve Spurrier recruited QB who started at South Carolina before an injury who transfered to JMU. So no I don't think getting Lee was "luck" in the sense that we get plenty of FBS QB transfers.

Houston has not relied on EW recruits for his success. No doubt with Lee and Houston, JMU would have won at LEAST one playoff game in '14 or '15. So there are no more "butt-hurt" fans at JMU. We are VERY happy without EW. Did I mention how we went from 1-5 against playoff teams and first round playoff exits to 7-1 and two title game appearances with a new coach?

We are also not "butt-hurt" about being down 17-13 against NC State midway through the 4th. Finley is McShay's #1QB in the '19 draft, they have a first round WR, and we found out Saturday morning we lost our All-America CB to injury for the entire season (our 3rd defensive starter that would not play). To be smug due to the "butt-hurt" comment; we lost by 11 to the #31 Sagarin team; you all lost by 28 to the #94 team.

JMU appreciate EW's time but don't miss him because, frankly, he is not a good coach. JMU bailed him out before he had a chance to get fired by OSU and he jumped at the first FBS school that actually offered him a job. It isn't even debatable, we have had much more success under Houston than we would have had under EW the last two years. Knowing the salesman EW is (which no doubt, leads to successful recruiting), I'm not shocked to see his supporters on here. I am shocked so many appear to unwavering support a coach who is 2-21 against FBS schools. I mean two years before he got there you all were 14 points from being 10-2 or 7 points from being 9-3.


I wouldn't say it is unwavering support as much as it is the logic of knowing what the garbage AD will do. EW nuked the program when he came in and started football from scratch basically. For a bit the team had FCS level scholarship numbers and still rely on underclassman to play No one is happy with the results but I know that he won't lose his job this year because the AD is too cheap to buy out more than one year. There isn't a starting QB yet and the OL is bad. It'll be another crap season and we get the painful knowledge that nothing will change cause the powers at the school don't care.


Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:34 am
Profile
True Bobcat Fan

Joined: Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:50 pm
Posts: 378
Reply with quote
Post Re: It's Actually Worse Than It Looks
JMU_FAN wrote:
I clearly point out that your first use of "luck" isn't true as Vad Lee had a previous relationship with EW and Lee has stated that EW was the reason he first looked into JMU. I don't contradict myself here as Houston did not recruit Connor Mitch or DiNucci out of high school so there was no previous relationship. So yes, in the case of getting Lee (not just any FBS QB), it mattered A LOT who the coach was.

In regards to your (2) use of "lucky." I clearly point out that we didn't get "lucky" by getting a starting FBS QB as we have had 2 ACC starters and a SEC starters transfer to JMU since 2014.


1) If Withers had been coaching at Texas Southern, Vad would have never even thought about that school. The fact is that Vad going to JMU had far, far more to do with him not losing a year of eligibility, playing for one of the top FCS programs in the country with the best facilities, and being able to play a few hours from home. Had his relationship with Withers been so strong, he would have gone to UNC over Georgia Tech. If you think a player has a strong bond with a coach who recruited him THREE YEARS earlier - a coach he didn't even sign with - then there is no saving your ignorance. As I previously said, there were far more important and influential aspects why Vad signed with JMU than your coach having recruited him three years earlier.

2) Your information is bogus. Your claim is that Justin Rascati, a guy I personally know, was the starting QB at Louisville? Do you really believe the things you try to push as fact or are you purposely using bogus information to help your argument? Rascati was definitely not the starting QB. He announced that he was leaving after the spring game because Brian Brohm had committed. Brohm had two brothers on that coaching staff. In fact, Rascati is even quoted as admitting that he wasn't the starting QB and felt he had no chance at it:

“I’ve been doing really well, but I’m not sticking around. Coach (Bobby Petrino) says he will open up the job, but I don’t really believe that’s going to happen. The writing is on the wall.”


That's one of the starting ACC QBs you claim JMU had? If you are purposely lying, simply throw in the towel. If you were unaware of your bogus information, pay better attention to your program.

Connor Mitch was the third QB on the depth chart when he decided to transfer. JMU didn't get a starting SEC QB. Come on. Can you purposely manipulate the truth any more than you are? DiNucci was mostly a backup QB at Pitt. When he was given the chance to start, he failed and was then replaced on the depth chart by a freshman QB who ended up starting the rest of the year. As was the case with the others, the writing was on the wall.

None of those three guys were the starting QBs when they transferred to JMU. Yes, it was luck that the LONE starting FBS QB transferred to JMU. It was based on your program's history of success, great facilities, not having to lose a year of eligibility and being a few hours from the kid's hometown much more than it had with a coaching having failed at recruiting him three years earlier.

You also commented that since Houston hadn't previously recruited those other two transfer QBs, that you didn't contradict yourself. You're proving my exact point. Your claim is that JMU got Vad because of his relationship with Withers. You then argued that JMU has had 2-3 other starting FBS QBs who had no previous relationship with the JMU coach. That's exactly my point. JMU has an extensive history of getting FBS transfer QBs. Yet you think Vad is the lone exception to why he came to JMU, while the other three FBS transfer QBs came for a different reason? All of them came, overwhelmingly, for the reasons that I listed. Vad is no different in that regard.

JMU_FAN wrote:
Ummm, with Lee in '14, we lost to UDel by 7. We won without him in '15. So I'm confused by why you are saying Vad is the key factor? Also, are we really talking about the difference between 1-2 and 0-3?


You would have an argument if teams were the same from year-to-year. We all know that isn't the case (well, except for Texas State teams under Withers).

Delaware was far better in 2014 than 2015 which makes a mockery of your attempt.

JMU_FAN wrote:
The f are you talking about? You have to at least get the facts right. Last year we were up 17-10 at halftime which include us scoring on a fumble return. We ended up winning 20-10 which included kicking a FG with 2 minutes left in the game. This is while we in the middle of an 18 game winning streak, in the middle of a 14-1 season, and they were a 7-5 team. This is exactly my point, they play us tough. Last year we won the first three playoff games by an average of 19 but needed a defensive TD and 4Q FG to beat a 7-5 team by 10.



This is the textbook example of somebody being intellectually dishonest. You're arguing that it proves your point since JMU had to "resort" to field goals and defensive scores to beat a team, but then you ignore field goals and defensive scores when arguing that the average margin of victory in the playoffs was 19 points for the first three games. Why didn't you deduct field goals and defensive scores from those games since you clearly feel they somehow prove your point?

I could continue showing other examples of your argument as being intellectually dishonest, but I believe this first example shows enough.


Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:52 am
Profile
True Bobcat Fan

Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2007 2:41 am
Posts: 6773
Reply with quote
Post Re: It's Actually Worse Than It Looks
run faster wrote:
You would have an argument if teams were the same from year-to-year. We all know that isn't the case (well, except for Texas State teams under Withers).

Delaware was far better in 2014 than 2015 which makes a mockery of your attempt.


Replace "Delaware" with "New Mexico State", "2014" with "2017", and "2015" with "2018".

:wink:


Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:13 pm
Profile
Bobcat Wannabe

Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:45 pm
Posts: 8
Reply with quote
Post Re: It's Actually Worse Than It Looks
I already said I wouldn't continue the back and forth as you are wrong and especially as there are twitter feeds about how terrible of a poster you are. However, I will explain my inadvertent use of 'starter' in regards to Rascati, as I do not lie.

It was an honest mistake of writing a damn near thesis in a small window without carefully proofing. That paragraph lays out the three non-starting FBS transfer chronologically and then introduces the FBS starter. It was a logic presentation that got all messed up as I was not careful when writing. My sincerest apologies. If I had meant to "lie" about him being a starter, don't you think I would have said 3 from AAC? Lee, DiNucci and Rascati? See, it makes no sense. I didn't mean to say 'starter' there but it was an error in my writing.

However, why are you lying by saying he announced decision to transfer after the spring game? You must be lying cause you know him personally, so you know that isn't true. The very first line of the article you pull the quote from, "Prior to the University of Louisville beginning its spring practice, quarterback Justin Rascati, a Buchholz product, said he would be transferring at the conclusion of drills." Also, obviously he wasn't planning to start in '04 as the starter was still on the roster. Brohm also didn't start in '04. Stop being intellectually dishonest. I had an honest mistake, you flipped out and still lied.


Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:01 pm
Profile
True Bobcat Fan

Joined: Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:50 pm
Posts: 378
Reply with quote
Post Re: It's Actually Worse Than It Looks
JMU_FAN wrote:

However, why are you lying by saying he announced decision to transfer after the spring game? You must be lying cause you know him personally, so you know that isn't true. The very first line of the article you pull the quote from, "Prior to the University of Louisville beginning its spring practice, quarterback Justin Rascati, a Buchholz product, said he would be transferring at the conclusion of drills." Also, obviously he wasn't planning to start in '04 as the starter was still on the roster. Brohm also didn't start in '04. Stop being intellectually dishonest. I had an honest mistake, you flipped out and still lied.


You aren't intellectually equipped to have these discussions with me.

JMU_FAN wrote:
If I had meant to "lie" about him being a starter, don't you think I would have said 3 from AAC?
.


Why would you have said that? The AAC is entirely different from the ACC. Perhaps, you need a refresher on FBS football conferences.

JMU_FAN wrote:
However, why are you lying by saying he announced decision to transfer after the spring game? You must be lying cause you know him personally, so you know that isn't true. The very first line of the article you pull the quote from, "Prior to the University of Louisville beginning its spring practice, quarterback Justin Rascati, a Buchholz product, said he would be transferring at the conclusion of drills." Also, obviously he wasn't planning to start in '04 as the starter was still on the roster. Brohm also didn't start in '04. Stop being intellectually dishonest. I had an honest mistake, you flipped out and still lied.


He did announce after the spring game that he was transferring. Announcing something can be exclusive from the first time something is said. I could have announced last week that you aren't very bright, announced it again today, and announce it again next week, and I would still be announcing it.

I have no idea what you are referring to regarding the '04 starter or how it has any relevance. It probably was as good of an argument as you claiming that Houston didn't recruit the other two QB transfers as if it somehow helped your argument instead of shitting on it.

JMU_FAN wrote:
as there are twitter feeds about how terrible of a poster you are.


Already? I've only been here a few months. Provide some links to these feeds, as I need more entertainment and hopefully can find a more worthy partner who can properly and logically articulate an argument.


Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:29 pm
Profile
True Bobcat Fan

Joined: Fri May 25, 2012 8:54 am
Posts: 642
Reply with quote
Post Re: It's Actually Worse Than It Looks
Internet Fan Forum Justice! Who will claim it ??? Stay Tunedddd


Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:21 pm
Profile
Bobcat Wannabe

Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:45 pm
Posts: 8
Reply with quote
Post Re: It's Actually Worse Than It Looks
AAC or ACC, doesn't matter, JMU has beat more of those teams than TXST has the last 3 years.
You are the one that implied a Louisville transfer in '04 would be an ACC QB. Perhaps you need a refresher.
Why did you quote the same thing twice? First saying I wasn't equipped to have the conversation and then continuing the conversation. Is it possible for you to get through one post without multiple contradictions?
Dude go back like 6 posts, the twitter link is right there. You have clearly made an impression in such a short period of time.
It wasn't an argument it was a one-sided massacre. You fit right in with the TXST program.
Good luck against your 2-9 FCS game this weeknd. Unfortunately, you all probably need it.


Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:59 pm
Profile
True Bobcat Fan

Joined: Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:50 pm
Posts: 378
Reply with quote
Post Re: It's Actually Worse Than It Looks
JMU_FAN wrote:

AAC or ACC, doesn't matter...


It does matter. It shows that when it comes to FBS football, you have no clue what you're talking about.

JMU_FAN wrote:
You are the one that implied a Louisville transfer in '04 would be an ACC QB. Perhaps you need a refresher.


I previously questioned if you were lying on purpose or if you were just simply stupid. Now, I know that it is at least partly the former.

The issue is you manipulating the truth by claiming that backup QBs are starters. Do you think starting QBs at Pitt, South Carolina, etc. are leaving to go play at JMU? Try not to be absurd for a minute. Who are the two ACC starting QBs and one SEC starting QB who transferred to JMU? Hint: if they aren't starting at those schools, they aren't starting QBs.

You attempt to manipulate the truth was such a stretch that I assumed you weren't that stupid, and instead, were referring to Justin as being a starting ACC QB (since Louisville is now part of the ACC). I guess that isn't the case, and you were simply lying.

JMU_FAN wrote:
First saying I wasn't equipped to have the conversation and then continuing the conversation.
Is it possible for you to get through one post without multiple contradictions?


I think you need to review what "contradiction" means. My claim that you aren't equipped to have this discussion in no way refers to me not continuing to mock your illogical arguments. Me continuing to mock your arguments doesn't contradict me saying that you aren't equipped for this discussion.

Let me dumb this down for you: a contradiction is claiming that you are done with this discussion (the "back-and-forth") but then continue to take part in the back-and-forth. That's a contradiction - saying one thing but doing another that disagrees with it is an example which you have mastered.

Yes, I made an impression on the guy with a whopping 210 Twitter followers. Speaking of 210, that's the size of Harrisonburg's metropolitan statistical area, right? I can understand why Withers' wife was ecstatic to leave that shithole.


Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:47 pm
Profile
Bobcat Wannabe

Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:45 pm
Posts: 8
Reply with quote
Post Re: It's Actually Worse Than It Looks
Location 1 - Census Bureau estimated population of 61,980 in 2016.
Location 2 - Census Bureau estimated population of 53,078 in 2016.

Choose wisely.


Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:19 pm
Profile
BF.com Elite Sponsor
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2003 8:34 pm
Posts: 15176
Location: Ten minutes north of Lake Travis
Reply with quote
Post Re: It's Actually Worse Than It Looks
To be fair, that was sarcasm and hyperbole in his statement.

taxman! This is how you use that stuff. Not talking about how great a QB is, then comparing him to Aikman and Young.

_________________
Image


Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:22 pm
Profile
True Bobcat Fan

Joined: Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:50 pm
Posts: 378
Reply with quote
Post Re: It's Actually Worse Than It Looks
JMU_FAN wrote:
Location 1 - Census Bureau estimated population of 61,980 in 2016.
Location 2 - Census Bureau estimated population of 53,078 in 2016.

Choose wisely.


You're really just not a very bright guy.

I said "metropolitan statistical area." You do realize that there is a difference between the MSA and a city's population, right? City population is an archaic measure of an immediate area's population.

Here, let me dumb this down again for you:

Staten Island population: 480K
Mesa (AZ) population: 496K

Anyone with any life experience will tell you that Staten Island, part of NYC, is far, far bigger than Mesa, but looking simply at the population of each immediate area would suggest otherwise.

Another example to dumb this down for you:

Washington, DC: 693K
Indianapolis: 863K

Anyone who has spent any time in either knows that DC is far, far bigger than Indianapolis. But if you were to look at the population of the city, one would think Indianapolis is significantly bigger.

Christ. Try slowing down when you read, as we have already seen your attempt at logic is a waste, so maybe we can try improving your reading comprehension.


Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:28 pm
Profile
Bobcat Wannabe

Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:45 pm
Posts: 8
Reply with quote
Post Re: It's Actually Worse Than It Looks
Sorry you said population was much different than that other fancy term you used but then used the word or metric of population like 10 times in an attempt to explain an MSA. Are they really that different if they are so intertwined?

You are so hung up on technicals but can’t seem to understand the difference between starting and starter..


Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:03 pm
Profile
True Bobcat Fan

Joined: Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:50 pm
Posts: 378
Reply with quote
Post Re: It's Actually Worse Than It Looks
JMU_FAN wrote:
Sorry you said population was much different than that other fancy term you used but then used the word or metric of population like 10 times in an attempt to explain an MSA. Are they really that different if they are so intertwined?

You are so hung up on technicals but can’t seem to understand the difference between starting and starter..


Your posts continue getting more desperate and dumber.

Yes, I said "population" a lot in my post to show you why basic city population is a foolish determination of an area's size. In doing so, I posted showed how the population of each city is asinine in determining the size of an area.

At this point, I hope you're just trolling and truly aren't this dumb.


Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:11 pm
Profile
SuperCat

Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:43 pm
Posts: 198
Reply with quote
Post Re: It's Actually Worse Than It Looks
I usually am against just about everything run faster says, but there is a big difference between a city's population and an MSA...


Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:37 pm
Profile
True Bobcat Fan
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2016 2:25 pm
Posts: 392
Reply with quote
Post Re: It's Actually Worse Than It Looks
What the hell has this post devolved into? I’m surprised we aren’t debating the existence of aliens

_________________
https://www.reddit.com/r/TxStateBobcats/


Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:22 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
All Rights Reserved, BobcatFans LLC
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group