Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 It's Actually Worse Than It Looks 
True Bobcat Fan

Post Re: It's Actually Worse Than It Looks
run faster wrote:
TXSTRiverBobcat wrote:
Didn't Withers have a very successful offense at JMU? Why has our offense been so bad since he got here? Why can't he replicate what he was able to do there?

That's very misleading.They lucked into getting a very talented grad transfer at QB who had been the starter at Georgia Tech. Check out what the QB they had there for both years, Vad Lee, did statistically. He was a one-man wrecking crew as both a passer and rusher. Quite simply, he was far more athletic and a far better player than anyone else on the field.

In 2014, he threw for 3500 yards AND rushed for nearly 1100 yards (before sacks). In 2015, he was putting up better numbers, but he got hurt in their 8th game of the year and was out for the rest of the season. As a result, they ended up losing that 8th game. The 9th game? They lost that, too. Their 10th game? They beat a 4-7 team by 3 points after scoring the winning TD with 17 seconds left. They won their 11th game. Their 12th game? They lost that one, too.

So, when they lost their QB, they ended up going 2-3 and very easily could have been 1-4.

The "success" of their offense relied on getting lucky to get a freak from Georgia Tech and wasn't due to any great schemes or coaching.

Didn't the OC and stay at JMU and become the HC? And then they won the NC after EW left

Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:29 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Saul Goodman wrote:
run faster wrote:
They lucked into getting a very talented grad transfer at QB who had been the starter at Georgia Tech.

that's very misleading. they got lee because withers had recruited him when he was at north carolina.

It's not misleading at all. Look: I realize that I've made you look like a fool countless times ever since you threw a temper-tantrum after I quoted somebody that I was responding to. However, your constant attempts to try and find any error by me does nothing but perpetuate the board's belief that you're a moron. You should end your futile attempts so as not to continue making you look like a buffoon.

An FCS getting a starting QB from an ACC school is "luck." What you're admitting is that Withers wasn't good enough to get him committed the first time. Lee transferring wasn't out of a desire to play for Withers or due to any great relationship they had built. If that had been the case, he would have gone to North Carolina instead of Georgia Tech. Lee transferred because he knew his future playing professionally wasn't going to happen running the triple option. Hell, he admitted as much publicly when he declared that he was transferring.

James Madison happened to not only have the best facilities in the country and a winning tradition, but it also was only three hours away from Lee's hometown/family. Withers having previously recruited him had about 10% of the reason for Lee transferring to JMU.

Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:34 pm
True Bobcat Fan

slycat wrote:

Didn't the OC and stay at JMU and become the HC? And then they won the NC after EW left

No. The new head coach came from another FCS. He brought in an entirely new staff. Yes, they played in the national championship (and won it one year) the next couple of years. But as I showed on here recently, it wasn't the result of great recruiting by Withers that gave the new staff a golden platter.

The new head coach, Mike Houston, went rampant signing a bunch of FBS transfers. Depending on redshirts, the last two years and this year would be the years that Withers' recruits would be juniors and seniors. Yet the JMU head coach has continued to sign FBS transfers at a very high rate, many of whom have been the biggest contributors to his teams.

In a recent post on here, I went through the top contributors on both sides of the ball for JMU since Houston took over. Be a huge margin, the top contributors were guys that Houston signed after arriving at JMU.

Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:37 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Here are the facts that show Withers had nothing to do with the success JMU is having now. The overwhelming majority of top performers were guys the new staff brought in:

The leading rusher last year at JMU went there after Withers left. He was the leading rusher at Georgia Tech before transferring to JMU (again, after Withers had departed). Their best backup (who was actually the starter until injury)? He was there before Withers. He rushed for 265 yards against East Carolina. So, their two best running backs were not from Withers' time there.

Their leading receiver? He transferred to JMU in the summer of 2016 from Duke, half of a year after Withers left. Their second leading receiver? He transferred in last summer from Virginia. Their fourth leading receiver? While Withers was at JMU, the player had given a verbal to Richmond (in the same conference). When Withers left for Texas State and Danny Rocco (Richmond's head coach) left for Delaware, the receiver committed to JMU's new coach.

So, at this point, the two best running backs at JMU were guys Withers didn't recruit. Three of the top four receivers were guys Withers didn't recruit.

The leading tackler? Yep, Withers inherited him, as he had already been there a year before Withers' arrival. The second leading tackler? Yep, same thing. Withers inherited him. Well, how about the third leading tackler who also happened to lead the team in inteceptions? Same story. How about the fourth leading tackler (who was also second on the team in interceptions)? He was committed to JMU when Withers arrived. Withers then kicked him off of the team (along with two other players) for petty larceny. JMU's new head coach allowed him to walk-on the team, and he made the most of his second chance being a big contributor.

Alright, so clearly the top two rushers, three of the four top receivers, and top five tacklers weren't recruited by Withers. Well, how about the sack leaders? Two guys tied for the team lead in sacks. One was already at JMU as a redshirt when Withers arrived. The other guy was a P5 transfer recruited by the new coach. The guy with the third most sacks was also the leading tackler, and we already discussed how he wasn't a Withers recruit. The fourth leading sacker (6.5 sacks) was also already at JMU for a full year when Withers arrived.

JMU played a ton of redshirt seniors and FBS transfers last year. In a year that Withers' recruiting classes would have been juniors and seniors (or redshirt sophomores and redshirt juniors), the overwhelming amount of production was from guys Withers didn't recruit.

JMU had 11 FBS transfers on the roster last year (8 from P5 schools) in a year in which Withers' recruits should have been the key contributors. If Mike Houston (JMU's coach) felt he inherited a roster full of talent, he wouldn't have gone out and grabbed a ton of FBS transfers. The guys that Withers recruited should be seniors this year (or redshirt seniors). What did Houston do? After he lost almost all of his defensive production from last year's team (guys who were all redshirt seniors who were there before Withers' arrival), Houston went out this year and took a bunch of other P5 transfers. He signed a defensive line transfer from Virginia, a defensive line transfer from Wake Forest, and a linebacker transfer from Virginia. Those three are added to the Virginia transfer linebacker that Houston signed the year before. And those are just the guys in the front seven he replaced.

Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:42 pm
True Bobcat Fan

so, were you actually in the room when withers fucked your wife or did you find out about it later?

Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:46 pm
SuperCat

This dude is ridiculous...

Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:52 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Saul Goodman wrote:
"This 'run faster' guy continues to make a mockery of me and expose me as the idiot that I am. I clearly fail in every attempt I try refuting his arguments, and his evidence against Withers (and my position) is overwhelming and very conclusive. Since I can't beat him, I'm going to bring out an archaic jab that nobody has used since 8th grade, because like my intelligence, my humor is also at that level."

Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:55 pm
True Bobcat Fan

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:01 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Saul Goodman wrote:
so, were you actually in the room when withers fucked your wife or did you find out about it later?

If you want to disagree with the guy, by all means feel free. I've noticed though, that when devoid of an actual argument, you tend to fall back on insults (kinda like a certain clown in DC).

Stay classy . . . .

Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:31 pm
True Bobcat Fan

there's no argument to be made - he's just ranting the same shit he always rants. he has a pathological hatred of withers, which has to stem from somewhere, so i just went w/ the easiest logical option.

Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:38 pm
Junior Bobcat

Regardless of how annoying everyone things Run Faster can be at times, the dude comes with some serious posts backed by some pretty damning evidence. Until Withers starts proving that he can actually produce something on the field I may tend to side with Run Faster. This past weekend's offensive production was atrocious and can not continue on for the rest of the season or we are screwed.

Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:50 pm
Bobcat Wannabe

I suspect that Run faster is one of the many butt-hurt JMU fans that still can’t get over Withers leaving their school. Couple that with the fact that JMU lost their 1st game, and Run Faster had to run on here to spew his hatred for all things Withers. If it is indeed the case, don’t worry, it’s only irrelevant FCS ball.

I’ll wait to see how we look against TSU.

Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:22 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

TXST_01 wrote:
I suspect that Run faster is one of the many butt-hurt JMU fans that still can’t get over Withers leaving their school. Couple that with the fact that JMU lost their 1st game, and Run Faster had to run on here to spew his hatred for all things Withers. If it is indeed the case, don’t worry, it’s only irrelevant FCS ball.

If we struggle or don't win by 21+, warm up the printer for the buy out of the contract. Against an FCS team, there is no reason why they should be able to stay with an FBS program with a third year coach.

Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:31 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Saul Goodman wrote:
there's no argument to be made - he's just ranting the same shit he always rants. he has a pathological hatred of withers, which has to stem from somewhere, so i just went w/ the easiest logical option.

Ah, yes. Because anyone that points out a coaches' shortcoming HAS to hate the guy instead of giving logical observations of the smoke and mirrors that a magician puts up.

It's gotta suck to support someone who is 4-21 in three seasons completely blindly with no apparent logical rebuttal for that level of coaching futility.

Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:33 pm
True Bobcat Fan

TXST_01 wrote:

1) JMU has played for the national championship the last two years including winning one. There isn't a single JMU fan who is "butt-hurt" over Withers at this point. They are all thankful for him leaving, as his departure resulted in them hiring a better coach and having far, far more success than Withers had.

2) That "irrelevant FCS ball" would absolutely demolish us. JMU, South Dakota State, North Dakota State, and about thirty other FCS schools would beat us. Hell, the top ten would beat us by double-digits. JMU and North Dakota State would beat us by 30.

3) You realize that the FCS we played last year, Houston Baptist, went 1-10 last season, right? You realize that Houston Baptist gave us a struggle all game, right? Luckily, Texas Southern is even worse and is one of the worst FCS teams in the country. Disparaging FCS programs when our program wouldn't be in the top third of them is absurdly stupid.

4) You call them "irrelevant." Want to compare our true attendance to the true attendance for many of those teams? Hell, Prairie View had higher home attendance than we did last year.

Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:43 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next