Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
 2018 Bobcat Football Season Metathread 
True Bobcat Fan

Post Re: 2018 Bobcat Football Season Metathread
chockyy wrote:

I didn't even finish reading your post beyond the first sentence because that's not what I was saying at all.

In that case, if you were referring to Withers coming to that realization, you should have used "coach" instead of "coaches" coming to that realization. It's simply a matter of singular versus plural and would make your intention much easier and grammatically correct.

Withers did come to that conclusion a few times over his first 1.5 years. He got rid of some coaches, moved around ones to easier positions, etc. He switched his first O-line coach to a far easier position (TE) after realizing he wasn't cut out for the job. He switched the safeties coach to an easier position (OLB) after reaching the same conclusion. However, when you have a bad year and fire some coaches (like he did after year 1), then if you have another bad year, you can't keep firing coaches. It is bad for numerous reasons: 1) It hurts your recruiting as you lose all of the recruiting relationships that fired coach had 2) It shows a huge blemish on the head coach for continuing to make bad hires 3) It hurts the players who build relationships with their position coaches only to see them disappear again and again 4) Probably the most difficult for Withers, he would then have to accept that he simply is awful at making hires and take responsibility and blame for the hires instead of simply placing the blame on a couple of coaches not being good fits 5) The human element: it's tough to fire a coach who has a young family and has to provide for young children. Look at who Withers fired; look at who he switched the easier positions instead of firing. He fired older coach(es) with grown children and switched the positions of those coaches with young children who just uprooted their wives jobs, switched schools for their children, have to have a job to put food on the table for children, etc.

Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:25 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Post Re: 2018 Bobcat Football Season Metathread
run faster wrote:
chockyy wrote:

I didn't even finish reading your post beyond the first sentence because that's not what I was saying at all.

In that case, if you were referring to Withers coming to that realization, you should have used "coach" instead of "coaches" coming to that realization. It's simply a matter of singular versus plural and would make your intention much easier and grammatically correct.

I used coaches plural so as to include your SJSU coach example, and to account for the likelihood that there are other examples of this. You have nothing to prove to me, you can move on to your next molehill.

Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:36 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8