Brewer 
True Bobcat Fan

Post Brewer
Can someone break down for me EWs comment on why having Brewer at Center is best?

What does that mean and how is it beneficial as opppsed to having him at Guard or Tackle.
?

Thanks in advance!!

Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:37 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Post Re: Brewer
Brewer is a natural center. If he plays in the NFL it is likely to be at center.

He's also our best OL, period.
We don't have two guys who play exclusively OT that can do it better than Brewer, cause he's just a better overall lineman. Reece Jordan can hold his own at center, even though Brewer is obviously the better center. The line as a unit is better right now with Brewer playing out of position at tackle and Jordan at center than it would with Brewer at center cause we'd be too weak at one of the tackle spots.

If we're able to play Brewer at center, it means someone stepped up to adequately take over the other tackle spot. And that would be huge news.

Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:56 pm
True Bobcat Fan

you'd have to quote/link the comment for context, but here's my $0.02 on brewer @ center vs g/t:

brewer has always been a center, and center is the hardest position to get right on the ol. tackles need more measurables and athleticism, but centers have so much more responsibility from a mental/strategic standpoint. it's easier to plug in maulers at guard and athletes at tackle than it is to find smart guys who can process and play at center.

i have been skeptical all offseason w/ the notion that brewer would move to another position. when you have a guy that does both the mental and physical parts well - LEAVE HIM THERE!

note: brewer started at tackle a couple of games at the end of last season when withers was trying reece at center. my guess is he's liking what the other ol are showing in the offseason and is comfortable playing them where they should be playing (iirc, brewer is the only one on the roster who played c in hs).

Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:05 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

x wrote:
Brewer is a natural center. If he plays in the NFL it is likely to be at center.

He's also our best OL, period.
We don't have two guys who play exclusively OT that can do it better than Brewer, cause he's just a better overall lineman. Reece Jordan can hold his own at center, even though Brewer is obviously the better center. The line as a unit is better right now with Brewer playing out of position at tackle and Jordan at center than it would with Brewer at center cause we'd be too weak at one of the tackle spots.

If we're able to play Brewer at center, it means someone stepped up to adequately take over the other tackle spot. And that would be huge news.

But if I say something of the sort, people drag me through the mud. :wink: :wink:

FWIW, no one at Texas State's current roster is attracting any NFL attention, so doubt we will see any players in the league under this current 75+ team. The preseason All Conference rankings are pretty spot on, and no Pro teams pay much attention to second-team SBC caliber players.

Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:34 am