Brewer 
True Bobcat Fan

Post Brewer
Can someone break down for me EWs comment on why having Brewer at Center is best?

What does that mean and how is it beneficial as opppsed to having him at Guard or Tackle.
?

Thanks in advance!!

Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:37 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Post Re: Brewer
Brewer is a natural center. If he plays in the NFL it is likely to be at center.

He's also our best OL, period.
We don't have two guys who play exclusively OT that can do it better than Brewer, cause he's just a better overall lineman. Reece Jordan can hold his own at center, even though Brewer is obviously the better center. The line as a unit is better right now with Brewer playing out of position at tackle and Jordan at center than it would with Brewer at center cause we'd be too weak at one of the tackle spots.

If we're able to play Brewer at center, it means someone stepped up to adequately take over the other tackle spot. And that would be huge news.

Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:56 pm
True Bobcat Fan

you'd have to quote/link the comment for context, but here's my $0.02 on brewer @ center vs g/t:

brewer has always been a center, and center is the hardest position to get right on the ol. tackles need more measurables and athleticism, but centers have so much more responsibility from a mental/strategic standpoint. it's easier to plug in maulers at guard and athletes at tackle than it is to find smart guys who can process and play at center.

i have been skeptical all offseason w/ the notion that brewer would move to another position. when you have a guy that does both the mental and physical parts well - LEAVE HIM THERE!

note: brewer started at tackle a couple of games at the end of last season when withers was trying reece at center. my guess is he's liking what the other ol are showing in the offseason and is comfortable playing them where they should be playing (iirc, brewer is the only one on the roster who played c in hs).

Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:05 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

x wrote:
Brewer is a natural center. If he plays in the NFL it is likely to be at center.

He's also our best OL, period.
We don't have two guys who play exclusively OT that can do it better than Brewer, cause he's just a better overall lineman. Reece Jordan can hold his own at center, even though Brewer is obviously the better center. The line as a unit is better right now with Brewer playing out of position at tackle and Jordan at center than it would with Brewer at center cause we'd be too weak at one of the tackle spots.

If we're able to play Brewer at center, it means someone stepped up to adequately take over the other tackle spot. And that would be huge news.

But if I say something of the sort, people drag me through the mud. :wink: :wink:

FWIW, no one at Texas State's current roster is attracting any NFL attention, so doubt we will see any players in the league under this current 75+ team. The preseason All Conference rankings are pretty spot on, and no Pro teams pay much attention to second-team SBC caliber players.

Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:34 am
True Bobcat Fan

Saul Goodman wrote:
brewer has always been a center, and center is the hardest position to get right on the ol. tackles need more measurables and athleticism, but centers have so much more responsibility from a mental/strategic standpoint. it's easier to plug in maulers at guard and athletes at tackle than it is to find smart guys who can process and play at center.

i have been skeptical all offseason w/ the notion that brewer would move to another position. when you have a guy that does both the mental and physical parts well - LEAVE HIM THERE!!

1-5 brewer @ left tackle
2-2 brewer @ center

just saying.

Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:18 pm
SuperCat

FWIW, no one at Texas State's current roster is attracting any NFL attention, so doubt we will see any players in the league under this current 75+ team. The preseason All Conference rankings are pretty spot on, and no Pro teams pay much attention to second-team SBC caliber players.[/quote]

I respectfully disagree, I believe that London and Brown will definitely be at least looked at seriously, granted in the later rounds of the draft or an invite to the combine. NFL teams find talent to develop and they both have enough for the NFL

Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:28 pm
True Bobcat Fan

to be fair to taxi, that post was made on august 2, and he was correct at the time.

Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:30 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

ArtyCat0811 wrote:

I respectfully disagree, I believe that London and Brown will definitely be at least looked at seriously, granted in the later rounds of the draft or an invite to the combine. NFL teams find talent to develop and they both have enough for the NFL

Brown is attracting attention NOW, but as a grad transfer with 8 receptions to his name in college when I wrote that, it was accurate. London may be a FA signing after the draft, but right now there aren't too many teams hurting at the ILB position for 3-4 schemes and this is a deep draft in terms of LB talent.

Not hating on the guy, that's just the reality of the business.

Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:34 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Saul Goodman wrote:
to be fair to taxi, that post was made on august 2, and he was correct at the time.

Appreciate it Saul. :-||

Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:35 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Yeah, thus far, I think only Brown would possibly get a combine invite. But since he's hopefully coming back next season, and Brewer is a Junior... I think we're safe in not losing too many players to the NFL right now.

Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:42 pm
SuperCat

Brown is attracting attention NOW, but as a grad transfer with 8 receptions to his name in college when I wrote that, it was accurate. London may be a FA signing after the draft, but right now there aren't too many teams hurting at the ILB position for 3-4 schemes and this is a deep draft in terms of LB talent.

Not hating on the guy, that's just the reality of the business.

I agree with you and your points are valid. It's a bad time to be Def player in the Off driven NFL. I do enjoy and watch the CFL games more than the NFL, thier rules limit the number of American players drafted. Not sure of any TX St players in the CFL?

Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:42 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

I think London is a bit undersized for the NFL. He doesn't pass the eyeball test.

But the kid can ball, so hopefully he gets a shot to show off his ability.

Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:45 pm
True Bobcat Fan

I'm not sure what "attention" means to some of you, but there are a handful on the roster who have attention from the NFL.

There is a policy in place that NFL scouts will not ask coaches about or request to talk to players who are not in their last year of eligibility when they visit schools. So when NFL scouts come to Texas State to watch film and talk to coaches, which is many times throughout a year, they are not technically allowed to be looking at guys like Brewer and London.

If you guys don't think London, Brewer, Brown, and Griffin aren't on the NFL's radar, you're clueless. That doesn't mean any will be drafted, but all will get a shot at an NFL camp. Easy, who barely played 2.7 snaps last year, was in camp with two NFL teams earlier this year when his eligibility finished.

Last edited by run faster on Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:08 pm
Bobcat Wannabe

“FWIW, no one at Texas State's current roster is attracting any NFL attention, so doubt we will see any players in the league under this current 75+ team. The preseason All Conference rankings are pretty spot on, and no Pro teams pay much attention to second-team SBC caliber players.”

Wrong, NFL teams could care less who has conference recognition much less even in the sunbelt. All conference players are voted in, they don’t care about who votes what, they pick who they want, period. *hints why you have rugby players who have never played football drafted*

“I respectfully disagree, I believe that London and Brown will definitely be at least looked at seriously, granted in the later rounds of the draft or an invite to the combine. NFL teams find talent to develop and they both have enough for the NFL” *Davis *Griffin

“there aren't too many teams hurting at the ILB position for 3-4 schemes and this is a deep draft in terms of LB talent. “
Wrong, just like the college coaches could care less what defense you played in (or position) in HS the same goes for the NFL, all they look for Is talent. People get paid in the NFL it’s a great motivator to learn a new scheme quickly

“It's a bad time to be Def player in the Off driven NFL”

Wrong, while the NFL is offensive, that makes it better for defensive players especially from small schools, less biased, offense has a "sells jerseys as well" element to it. Don’t believe me? Look at the college teams most offensive players come from vs defensive.

"Eazy, who barely played 2.7 snaps last year, was in camp with two NFL teams earlier this year when his eligibility finished."
Back to the fact that NFL teams care more about ability than *Sun belt statistics* Dont forget that Anyama was a sprinter for Texas, that automatically raises eyebrows at 240lbs

Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:03 pm
True Bobcat Fan

GeezCat wrote:

"Eazy, who barely played 2.7 snaps last year, was in camp with two NFL teams earlier this year when his eligibility finished."
Back to the fact that NFL teams care more about ability than *Sun belt statistics* Dont forget that Anyama was a sprinter for Texas, that automatically raises eyebrows at 240lbs

Uhh, yeah. That was the point. Easy missed most of last season, yet he was still given a chance: the point being that those guys I listed (Brewer, Frankie, London, Brown) will all have a shot at least a camp.

Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:49 pm