Sun Belt Media Day 
True Bobcat Fan

Post Sun Belt Media Day
Teis interview with Bill and Brant:

-We have the best APR in the conference.
-We got 2nd in the Bubas cup, with 16 varsity sports - South Alabama won the cup but had an additional sport.
-Football is the main focus and everyone knows it.
-Withers dug the whole 2 years ago, planted last year, needs something to grow this year.
-New video boards will be 5X larger.

Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:12 am
True Bobcat Fan

Post Re: Sun Belt Media Day
From what I can tell, our current video boards are roughly 28ft x 16ft. 28*16=448 sq ft.

If the new boards are 5X larger, they will be ~2200 sq ft. That's about 60ft x 36ft or 55ft x45ft depending on the aspect ratio.

Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:23 am
True Bobcat Fan

tx.state wrote:
-New video boards will be 5X larger.

Woohoo!!!!

Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:33 am
Junior Bobcat

What did y’all think of withers official podium visit? He was definitely the most positive I’ve heard him at the beginning off a season. Had some good things to say.

I also listened to to the other coaches and I got a real bad taste in my mouth after listening to App. States head coach. He seemed like a d bag and almost like he was too good to be there.

Anyone else wanna share their take always?

The 30 minute podium talk from the sunbelt commissioner was a great listen as well if you guys missed that I recommend watching.

Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:56 pm
True Bobcat Fan

I listened to Benson and Withers but not the other coaches.

Agree that Withers sounds more positive than last year. He also sounded more positive last year than two years ago.

He definitely named more names today, which is a sign they have a better handle of the depth chart earlier than usual and have a good idea who is expected to start at certain positions. That's a good sign.

I liked Benson's segment too. The fans of the long time Sun Belt schools hate Karl. But I have to admit I don't mind the guy. The Sun Belt was a joke back in the early to mid 2000s. It's turned into a respectable G5 conference that's really on par with the others aside from the American. Despite losing multiple teams to perceived better pastures, he managed to add schools that have actually strengthened the conference even with the initial attrition and have made the Sun Belt more financially stable than the conference those schools left to go to. He may have the personality of a rock at times, but it seems to me he's done a pretty good job running the league in his 5-6 years.

Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:37 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Benson's talk was a nice surprise. My initial thought was "oh god what dumbass handed this guy a microphone again," but I found it interesting and professional.

Getting past the coach-speak rhetoric, this is the first time in Withers' tenure that I recall him having any level of specificity about players prior to August 1st. There were some small shreds of humility showing as well, much different from the hubris he had upon arrival. I hope this means results.

And Scott Satterfield can sound like a douchebag, although perhaps for good reason. He took them through the transition from FCS to FBS as probably the most successful transition in history. Their first four FBS seasons resulted in 3rd, 2nd and two 1st place finishes in the Sunbelt Conference, three bowl wins and multiple near upsets of ranked teams in nailbiter games. Oh, and he just got a hefty raise and contract extension. I would love to complain about how our success made our coach an egotistical douchebag--that would be a great problem to have. By most accounts though Satterfield is actually a pretty decent dude with lots of positive off-the-field activity.

I respectfully disagree with time on the internet being "wasted." I would've never known that a monkey would fall over after smelling his own, stinky finger if it wasn't for the glory of the internet.

Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:22 am
True Bobcat Fan

bleed gold wrote:
He took them through the transition from FCS to FBS as probably the most successful transition in history.

No.

Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:24 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

I would think the coach at Marshall did it "better".

With some rules broken but still better.

Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:07 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

TheRevSWT wrote:
I would think the coach at Marshall did it "better".

With some rules broken but still better.

My bad... I forgot about Marshall's transition and string of 10-win seasons. I do love that this is what y'all pulled out of my comment in defense of Satterfield having good reason for confidence. Feel better?

I respectfully disagree with time on the internet being "wasted." I would've never known that a monkey would fall over after smelling his own, stinky finger if it wasn't for the glory of the internet.

Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:30 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

I was just reaffirming that Marshall did it better but cheated.

I was just commenting on run faster's post, not your's.

So suck it, bleed!

Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:39 pm