Cautiously negative 
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Post Re: Cautiously negative
x wrote:
How do you figure we had less talent under Fran than now? Let alone "way way way way less talent"?

Joplo Bartu, Craig Mager, David Mayo, David Mimms, and Darryl Morris all are playing now or have gotten meaningful playing time in the NFL. All played under Fran.

Also, Terrence Franks, Adrian Bellard, Will Johnson, and DJ Hall were all guys from those years who at least got training camp invites or practice squad spots.

I don't think anyone from the last two teams has even sniffed a training camp invite.

Withers' 2016 team was the least talented we've had at TXST since jumping to FBS and I don't think it's close. The last two seasons haven't had anywhere near the level of talent we had in 2013 or 2014.

It's almost like a former FBS coach was able to distinguish FBS talent. Odd. 8) 8) 8)

Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:53 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

MRN MAVERICK wrote:
I understand that. I guess its hard for me to cope with the fact that we are only beating one fbs school a year. It just seems like we should be able to run a squad out there and even get lucky and win one or two more fbs games. Like I said, Fran was winning 3 times the amount of games with way way way less talent. Hopefully this won’t even be an issue. I guess my bigger point here is that withers can’t stay in power with a 3-9 season imo. I want so badly for him to be successful.

Tbh, Withers exceeded my expectations last year because of the Coastal Carolina win. I only expected us to beat our FCS opponent, but didn't realize CC was an expansion team. At this point, anything less than a competitive 3-9/4-8 team and we need to explore the buyout option. We can't afford to swim in the gutter of FBS ranks until 2021 with uncompetitive teams. We've already had the worst three year stretch in our program's history, we can't sit idly by and have six years of sub-500 seasons and not blink an eye.

The buyout is not that expensive either, relatively speaking:

https://2michy3wy0l30d34041dt1et-wpengi ... ntract.pdf

Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:10 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Withers isn't the problem. Trauth and Teis are cancers for the football program and we will never amount to anything as long as they are there.

Sat Jul 28, 2018 4:38 pm
Junior Bobcat

tpopt wrote:
Withers isn't the problem. Trauth and Teis are cancers for the football program and we will never amount to anything as long as they are there.

You'll have to explain this one to me.

Texas State's budget for coaching salaries is solid for the Sun Belt. Texas State's facilities are in the top third in the conference. Texas State's location is in the best region for recruiting in the conference. Texas State's campus and enrollment is as good as it gets in the Sun Belt. By all accounts, Texas State, regardless of interference from the AD or president, should be in the top third of the conference every year.

Have you see the facilities, salaries, and location of Monroe? Have you seen the facilities of Coastal? Have you seen the location of Appalachian State, New Mexico State (formerly), Troy, and Idaho (formerly)? Have you seen the facilities of South Alabama?

Texas State isn't #1 in the conference in all of those things, but they have the best mix of all of those things in the entire conference.

Unless Teiss and Trauth are demanding that they each get to call 20 plays on offense per game, their influence should in no way be able to impact the football program more than the major factors (which I have listed) that Texas State has going for it.

Those two aren't the issue.

Sat Jul 28, 2018 6:04 pm
True Bobcat Fan

3-9, 2-10, 2-10 in the past 3 years . . . . If you go back far enough, you'll find like 7 winning seasons in the last 30 or so. If this were Saben at Alabama, he'd be gone. A&M's Sumlin won pretty consistently during his tenure, and still got run off because it wasn't enough. At TXST, LOSING is just business as usual. And YES, those two ARE the problem, because at TXST, there is NO expectation of winning, NO culture of winning, NO demand that winning be part of the Athletic equation.

So yeah, nice campus, nice facilities, nice budget, and no pressure to perform and/or produce a winner. MEDIOCRITY, thy name IS TXST.

Sat Jul 28, 2018 6:56 pm
Junior Bobcat

Bobcat87 wrote:
3-9, 2-10, 2-10 in the past 3 years . . . . If you go back far enough, you'll find like 7 winning seasons in the last 30 or so. If this were Saben at Alabama, he'd be gone. A&M's Sumlin won pretty consistently during his tenure, and still got run off because it wasn't enough. At TXST, LOSING is just business as usual. And YES, those two ARE the problem, because at TXST, there is NO expectation of winning, NO culture of winning, NO demand that winning be part of the Athletic equation.

So yeah, nice campus, nice facilities, nice budget, and no pressure to perform and/or produce a winner. MEDIOCRITY, thy name IS TXST.

So you agree that the "boss" (regardless of it is the AD, the president, or the school at large) has provided all of the necessities to have a great chance for the head coach to succeed, but you don't fault him because his boss doesn't give him high standards to meet? That doesn't make sense.

Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:09 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Withers is worried about his job. Not winning. If Trauth gives him expectations, he meets them. If he has expectations for W's he'll meet those. He doesn't. Or maybe he does??? His expectations are, imo, to build student athletes, not win games.

Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:25 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Withers is worried about his job. Not winning. If Trauth gives him expectations, he meets them. If he has expectations for W's he'll meet those.

It just doesn't look like his priorities are to win but to follow Trauth's set of expectations. We are a school first and a football program second. His expectations are, imo, to build student athletes, not win games. I could be wrong.

Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:27 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

run faster wrote:
Have you seen the location of Appalachian State, New Mexico State (formerly), Troy, and Idaho (formerly)?

What do you have against App's location? It's fucking beautiful! I fully grant you NMSU and Idaho (and I have no clue on Troy, being honest).

run faster wrote:
Unless Teiss and Trauth are demanding that they each get to call 20 plays on offense per game, their influence should in no way be able to impact the football program more than the major factors (which I have listed) that Texas State has going for it.

The problem most definitely IS Teis (and Trauth, due to her seeming refusal to demand any sort of results). Teis sits idly by to let Davalos run his contract out, instead of replacing him or demanding changes to make us show some signs of competitiveness. He didn't let Wright go until Wright went public with the animosity between the two. He begged Fran to stay, knowing full well Fran had lost the team (that may be a stretch, because several players have come out to say that they never saw the AD, let alone met him).

His laissez-faire approach has bred apathy and (when we are lucky) mediocrity in this program. You want to hold the coach responsible for the results? That's EXACTLY what the AD should be doing.

So to blame Withers for his shortcomings (of which I agree he has many), but not Teis for taking any action on it is... well, it's just disingenuous.

Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:27 pm
Junior Bobcat

tpopt wrote:
Withers is worried about his job. Not winning. If Trauth gives him expectations, he meets them. If he has expectations for W's he'll meet those.

It just doesn't look like his priorities are to win but to follow Trauth's set of expectations. We are a school first and a football program second. His expectations are, imo, to build student athletes, not win games. I could be wrong.

There's no "could" about it. You're entirely wrong. Nobody is head coaching FBS football that doesn't have a strong, almost obsessive, desire to win football games. You think Withers accepted this job wanting Texas State to be his last gig? Hell no. He expected and wanted it to be a stepping stone to a better head coaching gig.

Ask any FBS coach if he'd rather have the highest team GPA in the conference or the best record in the conference. Let me know what all of them say.

Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:44 pm
Junior Bobcat

TheRevSWT wrote:
run faster wrote:
Have you seen the location of Appalachian State, New Mexico State (formerly), Troy, and Idaho (formerly)?

What do you have against App's location? It's fucking beautiful! I fully grant you NMSU and Idaho (and I have no clue on Troy, being honest).

So to blame Withers for his shortcomings (of which I agree he has many), but not Teis for taking any action on it is... well, it's just disingenuous.

Many people find desolate, remote areas beautiful. I can understand that. Unfortunately, you don't sell 17 year old high schoolers on coming to college in the middle of nowhere. And that's exactly where App is - the middle of nowhere (regardless of how pretty trees may be half of the year there).

An FBS head coach doesn't need an AD breathing down his neck to remind him each week that his job is to win football games. At this point in their careers, they realize what is on the line. Doing that causes animosity from a coach toward an AD.

Again, the desire to win for a head coach far exceeds any pressure an AD will put on him. These guys are embarrassed to lose. They are embarrassed for their family, embarrassed when their peers know they can't win, etc. The vast majority of head coaches, especially at the G5 level, aren't wanting to have that job for life. They are all wanting to win and get a better job. An AD pressuring them to win does not get them to perform any better. They put more pressure on themselves.

Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:51 pm
True Bobcat Fan

run faster wrote:
tpopt wrote:

There's no "could" about it. You're entirely wrong. Nobody is head coaching FBS football that doesn't have a strong, almost obsessive, desire to win football games. You think Withers accepted this job wanting Texas State to be his last gig? Hell no. He expected and wanted it to be a stepping stone to a better head coaching gig.

Ask any FBS coach if he'd rather have the highest team GPA in the conference or the best record in the conference. Let me know what all of them say.

I didn't realize I was speaking to Coach Withers. Sorry coach.

Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:16 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

run faster wrote:
An FBS head coach doesn't need an AD breathing down his neck to remind him each week that his job is to win football games. At this point in their careers, they realize what is on the line. Doing that causes animosity from a coach toward an AD.

Again, the desire to win for a head coach far exceeds any pressure an AD will put on him. These guys are embarrassed to lose. They are embarrassed for their family, embarrassed when their peers know they can't win, etc. The vast majority of head coaches, especially at the G5 level, aren't wanting to have that job for life. They are all wanting to win and get a better job. An AD pressuring them to win does not get them to perform any better. They put more pressure on themselves.

So then... given that we haven't had any consistent winning at SWT/Texas State since the 80's, and we've always had upper tier location/facilities (for where we were at, mind you), and a budget that has been at the very least on par with our conference mates... What is stopping us from succeeding?

To me? Seeing multiple coaches fail to form any consistency in wining says it's not the individual coach's issue, it is a systemic issue on the hill. But I'm curious as to what you think is the root cause.

Because I think we can all agree that trading out losing coaches every three/four years is not a formula to fix anything (which, being honest, is EXACTLY what we've done the last... 30+ years... Only two coaches got "poached" from us... Bailiff and Fran during his first tenure).

Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:24 pm