Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 105 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 4-8 vs 2-10 
Author Message
True Bobcat Fan

Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 5:27 pm
Posts: 6388
Location: Houston
Reply with quote
Post Re: 4-8 vs 2-10
I think the only chance of EW being fired is a 0-1 win season. Maybe 2 win but since TXST has the highest APR in the conference, he has some cushion since that is what Teis cares about most.

Next year he will truly be on the hot seat because he will only have one year left on his contract and that is about the most the school will buyout based on the past.

If memory serves, Teies didn't want to hire EW but was outvoted by the rest of the hiring team. That said the school won't really turn a corner and become a winner until Teis is gone. As others have said though Teis will be here until the day he chooses to leave. He is good at being really bad at his job and taking credit for the good things that happen (FBS move, stadium upgrades). Those things happened because the students forced it, not because he did anything.

I think there will be 4-5 wins this year. It really all falls on the QB getting up to speed fast. If the QB struggles, it could be a very, very bad season.


Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:58 am
Profile
True Bobcat Fan
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 26, 2005 9:20 am
Posts: 2930
Location: Anahuac
Reply with quote
Post Re: 4-8 vs 2-10
TheRevSWT wrote:
Bobcat.taxman wrote:
You need new lines, your baseless accusations are getting old, much like your avatar beneath your signature of Withers on a throne. :roll: :roll: :roll:


I'm so sorry you are offended by your own simpleness. Hopefully, one day you'll recognize how silly you sound and make a change.

Or, you can keep on being you, and folks will call you out for being absurd. Either way, no skin off my nose.


Be gentle with him, Rev. He has to live his life below the Mendoza Line.


Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:39 pm
Profile
True Bobcat Fan
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:40 am
Posts: 5801
Reply with quote
Post Re: 4-8 vs 2-10
Bobcat.taxman wrote:
Guarantee you both Rev and Saul will try and paint a 2-10 or 3-9 season as a resounding success with vast improvement, they are both homers for Withers (Saul gets spoonfed info to put on this board by him and his staff).

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
not sure which part of this statement is funnier/more ridiculous!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

_________________
1 down
2 to go


Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:35 pm
Profile
Bobcat Wannabe

Joined: Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:52 pm
Posts: 3
Reply with quote
Post Re: 4-8 vs 2-10
slycat wrote:
I think the only chance of EW being fired is a 0-1 win season. Maybe 2 win but since TXST has the highest APR in the conference, he has some cushion since that is what Teis cares about most.

Next year he will truly be on the hot seat because he will only have one year left on his contract and that is about the most the school will buyout based on the past.

If memory serves, Teies didn't want to hire EW but was outvoted by the rest of the hiring team. That said the school won't really turn a corner and become a winner until Teis is gone. As others have said though Teis will be here until the day he chooses to leave. He is good at being really bad at his job and taking credit for the good things that happen (FBS move, stadium upgrades). Those things happened because the students forced it, not because he did anything.

I think there will be 4-5 wins this year. It really all falls on the QB getting up to speed fast. If the QB struggles, it could be a very, very bad season.


I don't know what this seasons win-loss record will need to be in order for this Coaching staff to keep their jobs. I do know that if you talk to any of the JMU people...the players, fans and administrators all were happy Withers left.
Being a Head Coach is a skill set and Withers does not have it!


Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:36 pm
Profile
SuperCat

Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:43 pm
Posts: 195
Reply with quote
Post Re: 4-8 vs 2-10
That's funny. They kinda seemed irked that he left them for us lol. I remember going on their board to ask them about him and all I got was a bunch of butthurt and insults about us being an inferior job/school. I mean he clearly built a great team for them, but whatever.


Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:52 pm
Profile
BF.com Elite Sponsor
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2003 8:34 pm
Posts: 14719
Location: Ten minutes north of Lake Travis
Reply with quote
Post Re: 4-8 vs 2-10
I can't remember the guy's name, but the former QB for JMU was in town not too long ago speaking to the players about winning culture and the like.

He seemed to be rather fond of the coach. Dunno how fond or if it was a paid gig (I'm sure it was... Guy isn't a local product) or what, but thought that was pertinent.

Wouldn't think he'd accept an offer to come speak at a coach's new school. For example, I don't think you'd see Tyler Jones speaking at a Fran conference.

_________________
RiverRatCat06 wrote:
Shut the fuck up Larry.


Image


Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:23 pm
Profile
True Bobcat Fan
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:40 am
Posts: 5801
Reply with quote
Post Re: 4-8 vs 2-10
the fug? withers recruited lee when withers was at unc. when lee decided to leave gatech, he went to jmu because of withers. lee was here at withers' request to talk to the team - something dozens of former players do for former coaches every year.

https://twitter.com/_VL2/status/1016438812745064448
@_VL2
Excellence sometimes makes people uncomfortable. I loved playing under Coach Withers. His demand for excellence will ultimately make you or break you!!! Super excited about the future of the program. @TXSTATEFOOTBALL Thanks for having me!!! #Homies


In January 2014, Chip Patterson at CBSsports.com reported Lee would transfer to FCS James Madison for the upcoming spring semester.[9] Lee transferred to JMU due to his familiarity with the Dukes' new head coach, Everett Withers, who had recruited him from his time at North Carolina.[10]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vad_Lee

“I didn’t get cut or anything from the Saskatchewan Roughriders, but I went into the head coach’s office and told him that I felt like the Lord was calling me into ministry,” Lee said. “I told him that I wanted to pursue the opportunity of serving coaches and athletes.”

He said the team released him from his contract and gave him the chance to start chasing his dream — one that he said initially began during his time in Harrisonburg when former JMU coach Everett Withers let Lee speak to his teammates after suffering a season-ending injury his final year with the Dukes.

Lee hurt his foot in the Dukes’ 59-49 loss to Richmond in October of 2015, but was there for the team to deliver words of inspiration the Friday night before JMU’s next contest at William & Mary.

“He’d been doing it all year long, he just hadn’t recognized that he’d been doing it all year long in front of the team,” said Withers, now the coach at Texas State.

Withers recruited Lee to JMU as a transfer after Lee’s time at Georgia Tech.

“When Vad spoke, everybody listened and he had that ability to make you understand the message,” Withers said. “But the opportunity for him to speak at our reflection services after he was injured was really important for us as a team because one, he was such a big part of our team, and two, I knew the kids would take whatever message he put out there, listen to it and try to live by it on that day. So having Vad speak was easy for us as a staff and myself because that’s the kind of guy he was.

“And deep down, I really thought he had a passion for that and now two, three years later he’s a chaplain at Indiana. It’s exciting.”
https://jamesmadison.rivals.com/news/higher-calling-10

_________________
1 down
2 to go


Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:51 pm
Profile
True Bobcat Fan

Joined: Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:50 pm
Posts: 282
Reply with quote
Post Re: 4-8 vs 2-10
BobcatCowboy wrote:
I mean he clearly built a great team for them, but whatever.


Ha. No. JMU had a long history of success when he took over. They hadn't had a losing season in at least a decade prior to his arrival. He inherited the best facilities in the country in FCS. Yes, his two years were an improvement by about two more wins per year over the last four years on average, but a huge part of that success was simply getting a transfer QB from the ACC who was more talented than anyone else on the field.

Now, you can try to argue that it was Withers' recruiting classes that built the last two seasons, but that would be intellectually dishonest on two levels. First, it would cheapen the success and turnaround Mike Houston did in two years at the Citadel. It also isn't supported by the players at JMU who have been the biggest contributors.

The leading rusher last year at JMU went there after Withers left. He was the leading rusher at Georgia Tech before transferring to JMU (again, after Withers had departed). Their best backup (who was actually the starter until injury)? He was there before Withers. He rushed for 265 yards against East Carolina. So, their two best running backs were not from Withers' time there.

Their leading receiver? He transferred to JMU in the summer of 2016 from Duke, half of a year after Withers left. Their second leading receiver? He transferred in last summer from Virginia. Their fourth leading receiver? While Withers was at JMU, the player had given a verbal to Richmond (in the same conference). When Withers left for Texas State and Danny Rocco (Richmond's head coach) left for Delaware, the receiver committed to JMU's new coach.

So, at this point, the two best running backs at JMU were guys Withers didn't recruit. Three of the top four receivers were guys Withers didn't recruit.

The leading tackler? Yep, Withers inherited him, as he had already been there a year before Withers' arrival. The second leading tackler? Yep, same thing. Withers inherited him. Well, how about the third leading tackler who also happened to lead the team in inteceptions? Same story. How about the fourth leading tackler (who was also second on the team in interceptions)? He was committed to JMU when Withers arrived. Withers then kicked him off of the team (along with two other players) for petty larceny. JMU's new head coach allowed him to walk-on the team, and he made the most of his second chance being a big contributor.

Alright, so clearly the top two rushers, three of the four top receivers, and top five tacklers weren't recruited by Withers. Well, how about the sack leaders? Two guys tied for the team lead in sacks. One was already at JMU as a redshirt when Withers arrived. The other guy was a P5 transfer recruited by the new coach. The guy with the third most sacks was also the leading tackler, and we already discussed how he wasn't a Withers recruit. The fourth leading sacker (6.5 sacks) was also already at JMU for a full year when Withers arrived.

JMU played a ton of redshirt seniors and FBS transfers last year. In a year that Withers' recruiting classes would have been juniors and seniors (or redshirt sophomores and redshirt juniors), the overwhelming amount of production was from guys Withers didn't recruit.

JMU had 11 FBS transfers on the roster last year (8 from P5 schools) in a year in which Withers' recruits should have been the key contributors. If Mike Houston (JMU's coach) felt he inherited a roster full of talent, he wouldn't have gone out and grabbed a ton of FBS transfers. The guys that Withers recruited should be seniors this year (or redshirt seniors). What did Houston do? After he lost almost all of his defensive production from last year's team (guys who were all redshirt seniors who were there before Withers' arrival), Houston went out this year and took a bunch of other P5 transfers. He signed a defensive line transfer from Virginia, a defensive line transfer from Wake Forest, and a linebacker transfer from Virginia. Those three are added to the Virginia transfer linebacker that Houston signed the year before. And those are just the guys in the front seven he replaced.



2004: 13-2
2005: 7-4
2006: 9-3
2007: 8-4
2008: 12-2
2009: 6-5
2010: 6-5
2011: 8-5 (facilities renovated giving JMU the best facilities in the country in FCS)
2012: 7-4
2013: 6-6
2014: 9-4 (lost in 1st round of playoffs)
2015: 9-3 (bye in the 1st round, lost in their first game in playoffs)
2016: 14-1 (won the national championship)
2017: 14-1 (lost in the national championship)


Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:29 pm
Profile
BF.com Elite Sponsor
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2003 8:34 pm
Posts: 14719
Location: Ten minutes north of Lake Travis
Reply with quote
Post Re: 4-8 vs 2-10
Ok, so based on what Saul is saying... that QB is a BIG fan of Withers.

_________________
RiverRatCat06 wrote:
Shut the fuck up Larry.


Image


Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:29 pm
Profile
True Bobcat Fan
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:40 am
Posts: 5801
Reply with quote
Post Re: 4-8 vs 2-10
run faster wrote:
Withers had no part of JMU's success whatsoever.

7 Reasons Everett Withers Deserves Credit for JMU’s Success

_________________
1 down
2 to go


Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:09 pm
Profile
True Bobcat Fan

Joined: Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:50 pm
Posts: 282
Reply with quote
Post Re: 4-8 vs 2-10
Saul Goodman wrote:
run faster wrote:
Withers had no part of JMU's success whatsoever.

7 Reasons Everett Withers Deserves Credit for JMU’s Success


Your rebuttal is using a horrendously written article from a "sportswriter" who was 19 and 20 years old when Withers was at JMU? Brilliant.

Did you even read that article? He listed seven reasons, but most of them were all the same thing. One of them was "offensive explosion." Another was Vad Lee, the QB. Yeah, those things go hand-in-hand. Another of his brilliant reasons was "reengaged fanbase." As support for this, he claims that Withers added a jolt to the program. He further elaborates by stating that Withers bringing College Gameday (which has far more to do with the athletic department than Withers) reengaged the fan base. But then this moron used "College Gameday" as one of the other seven reasons. So, he uses it as support for one of the reasons (reengaged fanbase) but then uses it again as another of the seven reasons.

But lets talk about this reengaged fanbase. In Mickey Matthews' last year, the JMU home attendance was 21,011. In Withers' first season, the home attendance was 19,816. In his second year, it dropped even more to 19,498. So this "sportswriter" claims a "reengaged fanbase" even though the attendance dropped both of Withers' seasons. Again, brilliant.

Yet another of the seven reasons was "added swagger." His support for this is that the program had more uniforms than before. He claims that more helmets/jerseys helped with recruiting. He then listed "improved recruiting" as another of the seven reasons.

Please don't waste any more of my time with "articles" from www.conlinscontemplations.com, which is simply some kid whose balls just dropped who set up a WordPress page.

I couldn't write a more illogical article if I tried. I'm guessing you may be able to.


Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:48 pm
Profile
SuperCat

Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:34 pm
Posts: 249
Reply with quote
Post Re: 4-8 vs 2-10
For me, Withers has gotten a pass up until now based on the mess he inherited. Fran literally ran our program into the ground. If the fans hadn't of pressured him into retiring, we would have won 1 game in 2016 and the same in 2017 if he were still here.

However, Withers should have been able to build a solid young team by now. We won't know for sure until after the season, but from what I see on our roster, we're not there yet. That is unacceptable to me.

Withers needs to win 4-6 games this year while playing competitively in every game. If not, he'll be on the hot seat for me.

I also don't have any interest in looking for a new head coach while Teis is still here. That's probably the biggest reason I'm still hoping Withers works out.


Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:48 pm
Profile
SuperCat

Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:34 pm
Posts: 249
Reply with quote
Post Re: 4-8 vs 2-10
SanMarcosWay wrote:
BobcatDis wrote:
You fire Teis at the end of the year you will see a rise in revenue by this time next year.

Our fan base is known for its fickleness at best/apathy at worst. We fire Teis and the majority of donors would say "Well, I'll donate if they hire such and such AD".

I disagree with this. I think that the majority of donors would instantly increase donations and support with any indication that the university is committed to winning. All of the donors that stopped donating because of Teis, would start donating again, and a lot of donors would increase their donation.

I currently donate at the Bronze Level. Only because that is the minimum level to get the benefits that I want to get from the program, but I will make a pledge right now. If they fire Larry Teis, I will instantly increase my donation to the Gold level.

That is up from $600 a year to $1,250 a year. That’s not dependent on anything other than getting rid of Teis. Now, it could definitely be more, and that’s where the fickleness of our fanbase comes in, myself included. If they hire “xyz” AD, or “xyz” coach, they have the potential of pulling even more money out of me.

The reason I am willing to do this and put my money where my mouth is, is because it would be a sign that our University is committed to winning. That’s all I want to see from the program right now.


Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:30 am
Profile
True Bobcat Fan

Joined: Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:50 pm
Posts: 282
Reply with quote
Post Re: 4-8 vs 2-10
TXSTRiverBobcat wrote:
SanMarcosWay wrote:
BobcatDis wrote:
You fire Teis at the end of the year you will see a rise in revenue by this time next year.

Our fan base is known for its fickleness at best/apathy at worst. We fire Teis and the majority of donors would say "Well, I'll donate if they hire such and such AD".

I disagree with this. I think that the majority of donors would instantly increase donations and support with any indication that the university is committed to winning. All of the donors that stopped donating because of Teis, would start donating again, and a lot of donors would increase their donation.

I currently donate at the Bronze Level. Only because that is the minimum level to get the benefits that I want to get from the program, but I will make a pledge right now. If they fire Larry Teis, I will instantly increase my donation to the Gold level.

That is up from $600 a year to $1,250 a year. That’s not dependent on anything other than getting rid of Teis. Now, it could definitely be more, and that’s where the fickleness of our fanbase comes in, myself included. If they hire “xyz” AD, or “xyz” coach, they have the potential of pulling even more money out of me.

The reason I am willing to do this and put my money where my mouth is, is because it would be a sign that our University is committed to winning. That’s all I want to see from the program right now.


Interesting. I had dinner a few weeks ago with a San Marcos businessman whose name is on multiple buildings on the square, is partner in an area golf course, etc.

He said that the university frequently contacts him about making donations to the athletic department. He said he won't give any more money until Withers is replaced. He was turned off after meeting the guy twice, turned off that he decided to spend his money in Austin (by living there) instead of the San Marcos area, and turned off by the drop in wins the program has seen.


Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:56 pm
Profile
True Bobcat Fan
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:40 am
Posts: 5801
Reply with quote
Post Re: 4-8 vs 2-10
thank god you quoted all that. no one would ever have had any point of reference....to the post directly above yours.

_________________
1 down
2 to go


Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:06 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 105 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 18 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
All Rights Reserved, BobcatFans LLC
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group