Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Withers on 1300AM - ATX radio 
Junior Bobcat

Post Re: Withers on 1300AM - ATX radio
Larry Teis wrote:
. Personally, I don't even think it's a personnel thing. I believe it is a coaching issue..

Yep, bad hires. After season 1, what does he do with a bad hire? He just shifts him around. After season 2, what does he do with one of his bad hires? He just shifts him around and hires a D3 coach from Ohio.

As I have said for many months now, his downfall is going to be making bad hires, and those two are far from the only ones.

Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:18 pm
True Bobcat Fan

curious as to how much of that has to do w/ his available budget. less than $1mil split 9 ways*...

we're 6th in the sunbelt in total coaching salaries, dead last in texas.

*last year's numbers before the 10th coach added.

Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:38 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

TheRevSWT wrote:
Saul, I would think (and maybe it's just me) that anytime we can let fans or potential fans know that EW is going to be on any sort of media, we should let them know.

By my thinking, the more you tell people about it, the more ears or eyes that will tune in, and the more likely to get him on more.

As a team that struggles to get media coverage, I woudl think we would want to hype every bit of it that we can.

It's like we have an Athletics Program with no direction. You know... somebody ought to put together a position and hire to it to provide direction to this program don't you think?!? Not sure what you would call that position or the people that work in that office.... maybe something with the words Direction and Athletics?? Just spit balling here...

Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:09 pm
True Bobcat Fan

sorry, but the idea that the ad needs to put out a notice for a coach doing a local radio show is absurd. that's literally being spoonfed, especially in this day and age when everything is available online. hell, i spoonfed it to you and y'all still whining about it!

Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:47 pm
True Bobcat Fan

I don't need the AD to send out something about a coach being on local radio...but it appears really lazy or incompetent to not take 30 seconds to mention it on the TXST athletics or TXST football twitter or facebook. This was obviously a scheduled appearance, and it's not like we are swimming in media around here.

Not saying something isn't the problem...the optics of our athletic department being lazy or incompetent is the problem.

Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:10 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Saul Goodman wrote:
sorry, but the idea that the ad needs to put out a notice for a coach doing a local radio show is absurd. that's literally being spoonfed, especially in this day and age when everything is available online. hell, i spoonfed it to you and y'all still whining about it!

So then when they announce the EW show (used to be the Fran show) it is spoonfeeding the audience?

That doesn't make sense. Any opportunity to engage the fans should be blasted from the mountaintop.

EDIT: I should clarify... I'm not saying a full on media blast... But a post on their FB page, a tweet out, maybe an instagram post... We're not talking a huge investment of time, energy, or money... But just one of those little things.

Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:17 pm
SuperCat

Thanks for info Saul, and my ? about this years team. I misinterpreted what you posted about what you got out of radio show. :? :oops:
sorry

Thanks tx.state too.

Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:33 pm
Bobcat Wannabe

TheRevSWT wrote:
As a team that struggles to get media coverage, I woudl think we would want to hype every bit of it that we can.

It would help if the coach allowed the media access during the offseason. It's astounding that we beg for press but won't even let the beat writers in to cover the team.

Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:25 pm
True Bobcat Fan

from the coaches happy hour in austin tonight:

caleb twyford has been moved to rb, and coach mentioned him several times, so i would guess he's in the rotation. that seems to support my opinion that our rb stable is fairly pedestrian, pardon the pun. anthony taylor looks to be the starter, no word on the surgery/hospital stay.

didn't get a chance to ask about sami awad, but seemed like he was calling dean taylor the starter. ftr, i'm of the opinion that sami was our mvp last year.

jashon waddy to safety. this bums me out a little as i was really banking on that angleton db dna...

ol looks completely different - sounds like reece jordan is going to be a legit center.

wr mentioned as having some impact:
mason hays is healthy and looks to be a player.
tj bedford redshirted last year, but is going to be a contributor this year. outside guy w/ serious speed.

other positive mentions: caeveon patton, reece jordan, markaveon coleman, frankie griffin, jaylen gipson, aj crawczyk

Last edited by Saul Goodman on Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:26 pm
True Bobcat Fan

@dennisonfox7
After back-to-back 2-10 seasons, @TXSTATEFOOTBALL head coach Everett Withers sounds a little more optimistic heading into year 3 of his rebuild. @HyghOnFOX7 & @jsala123 caught up w/ him at a #TXST alumni event in ATX:
https://twitter.com/dennisonfox7/status ... 3235822592

Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:45 pm
True Bobcat Fan

https://twitter.com/willsherratt/status ... 3126226945

@willsherratt

Great catching up with @everett_withers during the Texas State alumni event at Lustre Pearl in Austin.

Had a chance to chat about year 3 expectations, the QB race and recruiting his son, Pierce.

Catch the full interview at 10:30 on @Sports_NightTX

Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:54 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Saul Goodman wrote:
from the coaches happy hour in austin tonight:

caleb twyford has been moved to rb, and coach mentioned him several times, so i would guess he's in the rotation. that seems to support my opinion that our rb stable is fairly pedestrian, pardon the pun. anthony taylor looks to be the starter, no word on the surgery/hospital stay.

didn't get a chance to ask about sami awad, but seemed like he was calling dean taylor the starter. ftr, i'm of the opinion that sami was our mvp last year.

jashon waddy to safety. this bums me out a little as i was really banking on that angleton db dna...

ol looks completely different - sounds like reece jordan is going to be a legit center.

wr mentioned as having some impact:
mason hays is healthy and looks to be a player.
tj bedford redshirted last year, but is going to be a contributor this year. outside guy w/ serious speed.

other positive mentions: caeveon patton, reece jordan, markaveon coleman, frankie griffin, jaylen gipson, aj crawczyk

Thanks for info Saul... was this before or after you had a few bears!?! Ha!

Twyford to RB seams more like a move to get deeper at position, especially if Smith is out for a while due to hospital. With only Taylor, Brown, and Nelson on ship. Twyford did play all over the place for his HS team from WR and RB, and whatever the position is in option system with 3 RB types in game.

Awad was a player for us until he got hurt. The Taylor move is a little odd to me but I do like the idea of Patton to DT in 34D due to his quickness off the snap. I think we were wasting him at NT last season but with Awad hurt, Patton was needed there.

Waddy to Safety really is not that surprising to me. When Waddy was signed by Withers, he was already committed to Fran and his defensive system... which is different than what Withers will run this season with more expectations on CBs to go head to head... not sure Waddy is that type of CB. Guidry definitely wasn't.

Saul... can you be more specific on OL changes? Heitmeier going to really get PT? Brewer to OT? Foster moving to RT? Washington at guard? How many bears by this point??? Ha!

Not surprised to hear about WRs and I do expect at least 2 of the incoming 4 WRs to play this season. If I had to guess, I'd say Hopkins and Graham.

Interesting that he singled out Gipson. I'd sure like to see someone take rains of QB spot and wouldn't be surprised to see someone finish season where someone else started.

Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:09 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Bobkat34 wrote:
Saul... can you be more specific on OL changes? Heitmeier going to really get PT? Brewer to OT? Foster moving to RT? Washington at guard? How many bears by this point??? Ha!

*beers - at this point, 2. last i saw was brewer at guard, but that wasn't discussed here. nor was any other detail about ol, just that he seemed genuinely confident about the group.

Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:21 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Thanks for the summary. Ah, real football talk...

Twyford got a few touches at RB in the finale last year. His HS tape had several plays at RB too, and no matter the position, he was shifty as fuck, so I am excited to see him back there. I would wager based on that move that Anthony Smith (not Taylor) will not play this year as he recovers from that injury. Taylor likely the starter, Brown close behind him, and Nelson and Twyford as change of pace and package plays. In limited snaps last year Nelson showed he was tough to bring down when going north south, not so much east west (not uncommon for freshman to think they can bounce outside like they did in high school).

I would rank Lloyd, Mitte and Griffin all above Awad for last year def MVP. Awad was rotated out too much (to qualify for MVP distinction) and there were some rough double teams where he just got knocked down too easy rather than at least swallow up both blockers and make a pile. But he was still much better than anything we had in the middle the year prior, don't get me wrong.

Waddy away from corner doesn't worry me too much. He never played the ball in the air well despite being in decent position (WRs made some damn good catches on us, though). You can say that for most of our corners for the last decade though...we just never turn our heads to make a play on the ball and it baffles me. I think he was playing hurt most of the season too with a shoulder injury. I was high on both Dimery and Newman coming in last year, but despite not getting redshirted each just saw maybe one series each all year along with special teams. With this move, and Kelly moving to DB (assuming S), and 4 more safeties coming in, who knows what will shake out over next few years.

Once Jordan came in mid-season and Brewer took over for Pierce at guard, you could see a difference in our offense last year (sans Troy game maybe). I guess we will find out soon enough the new 2 deep and if King is back to full health.

Twyford moving to RB also makes sense as we are super deep at WR. Someone has to step up into King's role of drive extender. Hays flashed before he got hurt but he played opposite side of King. I didn't see a lot out of Haydel but obviously the coaches did enough to play him and redshirt Bedford. Honestly I can see several of the incoming guys talented enough to play and play a lot this year. Aragon looks more than physically ready, Hopkins' has the top end speed, and Graham seems to have a nose for the end zone.

Assuming nothing or just coach speak on QBs? I'd expect that all the way until Rutgers based on previous seasons.

Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:25 pm
True Bobcat Fan

lancer wrote:
Assuming nothing or just coach speak on QBs?

coach speak. i think he's liking what he sees from vitt in summer, but wj3 has the solid inside track. he would like to run first, run often, run w/ the qb, and wj3 fits that more than vitt does, today....

Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:32 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next