Withers on 1300AM - ATX radio 
True Bobcat Fan

Post Withers on 1300AM - ATX radio
@Nick_Castillo74
#TXST head coach Everett Withers was on @am1300thezone this morning.

Some highlights:
2:27: What to expect this season.
4:13: QB expectations in 2018 (As you'd expect, Willie Jones III will take first snaps when camp begins).
5:50: Defense
https://twitter.com/Nick_Castillo74/sta ... 0195083264

Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:03 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Post Re: Withers on 1300AM - ATX radio
my takeaways:

76 scholarship players this year :evil:

last year was a MUCH better fb team, but it didn't show on field. *** agree completely

if we stay healthy, we'll be able to compete in every game. *** i'm not sure about every game, but glad he feels that way.

qb comments still focused on leadership *** ready to hear about someone being a PLAYER

wants to be more aggressive on defense. not much different scheme. dean taylor to nose

secondary longer and more athletic, but less experienced.

Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:03 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Saul Goodman wrote:
76 scholarship players this year

Yeah, he may not have recruited all 3 classes but he has been HERE for all 3 signing days and so if he can't retain 79-82 scholarship players in that amount of time then does he really have his heart in this thing or is he just going through the motions?

Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:33 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Saul Goodman wrote:
my takeaways:

76 scholarship players this year :evil:

last year was a MUCH better fb team, but it didn't show on field. *** agree completely

if we stay healthy, we'll be able to compete in every game. *** i'm not sure about every game, but glad he feels that way.

qb comments still focused on leadership *** ready to hear about someone being a PLAYER

wants to be more aggressive on defense. not much different scheme. dean taylor to nose

secondary longer and more athletic, but less experienced.

Said:
DE Patton 6'3/310 (I've been saying this since spring, hearing Woods talk about moving him around; great lateral ability) my guess: Pierce, Ezidore, PWO DL
NT Taylor 6'5/310 (my guess: Awad, Daniels, Lilly)
DE Davis (my guess: Hines, Smith, freshmen DEs)
-then consider when Vinson 6'1/240 or Brannon 6'3/235 play what looks like DE with 2 300lb guys inside. Like it.

Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:47 pm
True Bobcat Fan

I might be wrong, but on the defensive line, I'm not that focused on position names and depth chart. Over are the days when if you were a WDE, you lined up on at the 5 tech over the backside tackle 90% of the downs. Like a lot of teams in the NFL, it looks like we're moving to a multiple front/multiple personnel front. (E.g. The Cowboys list David Irving and Jay Crawford as DT but will play them as a 1/3 technique on running downs and a 4/5/9 on passing downs.)

We're going to put big bodies on the field in running down/distance and fast bodies on the field in passing down/distance. We should have a few big bodies who also move well, which is exciting because we haven't in a long time.

Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:30 pm
True Bobcat Fan

My concern on defense is mainly the secondary now. It just hasn't been good at all. Personally, I don't even think it's a personnel thing. I believe it is a coaching issue..

Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:58 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Larry Teis wrote:
My concern on defense is mainly the secondary now. It just hasn't been good at all. Personally, I don't even think it's a personnel thing. I believe it is a coaching issue..

I'll believe that when we can see a close to full product on the field and that should be this season. Like Fran's first DI season, we didn't pressure much unless we blitzed. That left Morris and Mager left trying to cover WRs for over 5 full seconds or longer. Same has been problem the last 2 seasons... even with us improving on sacks this past year.

It doesn't seem Woods will hold back and not put more on the DBs this season. In general, we don't have the luxury to hold back at this point. I'd expect our CBs to get more one on one duties than in the last 2 seasons. We'll have to see if the DL can cause some pressure, which leads to CBs covering for less than 4-5 seconds.

tx.state... you are correct that times have changed but as you can see in my expected backups... Hines is a pass-rushing type and not your every down DE. Like you noted, they'll find chemistry in certain schemes when they pair personnel to find the best looks for us. I like the idea of Hines as DE with Vinson on other side and either can drop back into a zone to keep QBs off balance on who is pressuring him.

Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:55 pm
SuperCat

tx.state wrote:
I might be wrong, but on the defensive line, I'm not that focused on position names and depth chart. Over are the days when if you were a WDE, you lined up on at the 5 tech over the backside tackle 90% of the downs. Like a lot of teams in the NFL, it looks like we're moving to a multiple front/multiple personnel front. (E.g. The Cowboys list David Irving and Jay Crawford as DT but will play them as a 1/3 technique on running downs and a 4/5/9 on passing downs.)

We're going to put big bodies on the field in running down/distance and fast bodies on the field in passing down/distance. We should have a few big bodies who also move well, which is exciting because we haven't in a long time.

The Cowboys stay 4-3 in every situation. Since Withers, they have been 3-4 and with him saying Davis and Patton at ends, sounds like they will stay mostly in 3-4. Hines moving down, or other players, make sense. Irving will stay at the 1 or 3 technique at just about any down a distance for the Boys. Marinelli doesn’t value a run stuffing 1 tech and Lawrence, (Tyrone) Crawford, Gregory, Tapper, Charlton, Ealy, Armstrong are filling the DE spots. They want a disrupter in the middle and that is Irving.

Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:23 am
SuperCat

Saul Goodman wrote:

What is with EW, and the # of scholarship players on the team? Can he add more closer to the start of the season? Didn't he do kinda the same thing last year?

Also, we went 2-10 last year--how can we expect better results this year if this years team is not as good as last years?

Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:22 pm
True Bobcat Fan

BobcatBuddy96 wrote:
Saul Goodman wrote:

What is with EW, and the # of scholarship players on the team? Can he add more closer to the start of the season? Didn't he do kinda the same thing last year?

Also, we went 2-10 last year--how can we expect better results this year if this years team is not as good as last years?

He was saying that even though we went 2-10 again last year, we were a way better team than the 2-10 team from 2 years ago. Which I agree with. We were the worst team in the nation 2 years ago. Last year, outside of UTSA and Troy, we competed pretty well in each game. Even against Colorado, we looked okay in the first half.

Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:31 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Quick question: Did anyone know of this appearance prior to it happening?

I am following Bobcat Athletics on all the media sites, but never saw anything about it.

I hope it's just I wasn't paying close enough attention, but I don't think that is the case.

Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:39 pm
True Bobcat Fan

BobcatBuddy96 wrote:
What is with EW, and the # of scholarship players on the team?

he's not doing it on purpose - he'd much rather play w/ a full roster of scholarship players. there are ncaa limits on adding hs players/year - 25. we added 20 in last year's class and i think he couldn't get 5 more that he liked, so he chose to hold those scholarships instead of adding dead weight.
BobcatBuddy96 wrote:
Can he add more closer to the start of the season?

yes, although the players available between now and september typically aren't highly regarded. for instance, we added catteneo in mid summer of 2015. there's also the possibility of adding a grad transfer, but it's getting pretty late for that - we'd likely know about one of those by now.
BobcatBuddy96 wrote:

why do you think this year's team isn't as good as last year's?

Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:46 pm
True Bobcat Fan

TheRevSWT wrote:
Quick question: Did anyone know of this appearance prior to it happening?

no - why would we? i've never once seen a school announce their coach is going to be on the radio.

Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:47 pm
SuperCat

Tbf I rewatched the UTSA game yesterday and it was a lot closer than I remember in the first half. Especially considering we gifted them a TD...

Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:03 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Saul, I would think (and maybe it's just me) that anytime we can let fans or potential fans know that EW is going to be on any sort of media, we should let them know.

By my thinking, the more you tell people about it, the more ears or eyes that will tune in, and the more likely to get him on more.

As a team that struggles to get media coverage, I woudl think we would want to hype every bit of it that we can.

Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:17 pm