Rutgers vs. Texas State early betting line: Fans will wish.. 
Junior Bobcat

Post Rutgers vs. Texas State early betting line: Fans will wish..
https://www.google.com/amp/s/articles.n ... ns_wil.amp

Mon May 21, 2018 3:29 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Post Re: Rutgers vs. Texas State early betting line: Fans will wi
Line up to -18 and now we're currently more of a dog than UTSA is @ ASU....ouch....talk about a kick in the nUTsack

Tue May 22, 2018 7:42 am
SuperCat

Texas State should be -30.
However, I think this has UH game circa 2012 written all over it.

I have homer goggles on, but it's time to kick some yankee ass.

Tue May 22, 2018 8:50 am
SuperCat

What's the closest spread we've had vs a P5? I'm guess vs Illinois in 2014.

I too have a good feeling about Rutgers but I know they're on the upswing. Seems like we schedule P5s when they're down but by the time we actually play them they are solid, like Colorado last year and Baylor in a few years.

Good thing is that we'll be better too!

Tue May 22, 2018 9:00 am
Bobcat Wannabe

Hello, Bobcats fans. I'm a Rutgers fan (& former player). I know some of you may look at my screen name and think how? I used to play for Colorado before transferring to Rutgers. I'm here to give you some info on Rutgers. To understand where Rutgers is as a program you need a little history on why they are in the situation they're in now. Current Ohio State Defensive Coordinator Greg Schiano was the coach of Rutgers from 2001 to 2011. He rebuilt the program from the ground up. By 2005 Schiano had built a solid program ready to go bowling every year, and they did so. From this point in time, Rutgers averaged eight wins a season and were ranked a few years nationally. A few days before the national signing day in 2012 Schiano left for the head coaching job with the Tampa Bay Bucs. Rutgers' AD missed out on his first choice and panic about losing a nationally ranked recruiting class. Rutgers ended up hiring their offensive line coach (Kyle Flood) as the head coach. Schiano took most of his staff with him to Tampa or others took jobs at other programs. Flood had no head coaching experience, but excellent people skills. He held the class together, but his lack of experience had cost Rutgers for years.

Flood years: His first year (2012) he was co-champ of the Big East with Louisville. Every one of those kids was Schiano players. The next two years Flood did well with more bowl games. In fact, 2014 was Rutgers first year in the Big Ten, and they went 8-5. They beat Michigan which cost Brady Hoke his job. 2014 was the last year where Schiano players had an impact on the roster for Rutgers. Now you had Flood recruits. Not only did he show he couldn't recruit, but he recruited more criminals than players. 2015 was Flood's last season (4-8) before getting fired because he pressured a professor to change a player's grade. Flood was on the campus of Princeton University with the professor who gave him up. In steps Chris Ash (former Ohio State Defensive Coordinator). The irony is Ash left Ohio State to come to Rutgers while Greg Schiano took over the DC job at Ohio State.

Ash years: Ash is entering his third season at Rutgers. His first year he spent most of his team kicking more than two dozen players off the team after being criminally charged with crimes and others for academic issues. Remind you under Schiano Rutgers was top 10 on the Academic Progress Report (APR) and graduated close to 85% of their players. Under Flood, it fell to 60%, and the APR put Rutgers in danger of the NCAA punishing them. It was a miracle he fielded a team considering the issues surrounding the program. Rutgers won two games. Last year with a little more experience and depth on the team they won four but left two other possible victories on the field. Not sure how many victories Rutgers will have this year, but this is the better team than last year. They have more experience and depth. Ash has slowing rebuilt the program.

2018 team: offensive the offensive line has three starters back, but the other two positions (both guard positions) are up for grab. All the players involved have experience and have started multiple games over the last two seasons. The receivers are talented but young. Rutgers played three true freshman last year. All came in as 3 stars or 4 stars, so a lot is expected out of this group. The thing that held this group back was the play of the QB, and it seemed like it was on purpose. Former Minnesota Head Coach Jerry Kill was hired to run the offense. It was run first and second down, then chuck it on third. Kill's real job was to advise Ash on being a head coach while the defense kept the team in games. The run game should be strong even though they replace the starter for last year. Rutgers got another grad transfer (Hillman) from Boston College. He has competition with Blackshear who was a swiss army knife for the team last year. He can run the ball as well as catch it out of the backfield. Rutgers has true frosh Pacheco (early enrollee) who is a 4 star with some hype. So far Pacheco has lived up to the hype. The next step is to do it in meaningful games. The TE unit is the most consistent group on offense. Starter Washington (Miami transfer) led the team in receptions and yards last year. The two backups were good receivers too. They are better athletes, but not a strength when it comes to blocking.

The key to the offense this year is all about the QB position and new Offensive Coordinator John McNulty. First, McNulty is back for a second run at Rutgers. He was at Rutgers the first time under Schiano as the OC. During that time (2006-2008) Rutgers set all types of records. In 2007 Rutgers had 3000-yard passer, two 1000 yard receivers, and 2000 rusher. His offense was balanced, but quick strike. He left to be a coach in the NFL with Tennessee Titans and L.A. Chargers. During the Spring you saw a much more explosive offense. It helps that early enrollee true frosh Sitkowski (4 stars) is a good fit for the offense. Sitkowski is from NJ but left to play his senior season at IMG in Florida. In NJ he ran option at (6'5, 225), so that why he left for IMG. He was committed to Miami and about a month before signing day flipped to Rutgers. Right on Sitkowski heels is top 2017 NJ QB, Johnathan Lewis. Another player with pro-style size (6'4, 240), but really a dual-threat QB. Overall the offensive line is seasoned while the skill players are young but talented. This is probably the best collection of skills for Rutgers since 2012. They are going to surprise people this year.

The defense has improved every year under HC Ash. The secondary return all four starters and all 8 in the two-deep are back. The LB return all 3 starters. The difference between this group and the secondary are the backups. LB backups are more talented (2 highly recruited players) but lack experience. Every one of them played last year, but mostly on special teams. I wouldn't be surprised if two of the starters lose their job to the talented backups at some point in the season, but with that expect growing pains. The defensive line is where Rutgers may have some problems. They return two starters. The two new starters are good but nowhere as good as the two from last year. Turay (2nd round pick-Indianapolis Colts) and Joseph (6th round- L.A. Rams) were tough, so expect to see a drop-off from this unit. The DL is thin on experience, and it could make or break team this year. Overall, the defense is only as good as the DL. The DL may negate the back 7.

Sorry for the long post

Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:50 pm
True Bobcat Fan

cubuffsdoug wrote:
Ash years: Ash is entering his third season at Rutgers. His first year he spent most of his team kicking more than two dozen players off the team after being criminally charged with crimes and others for academic issues. ......
It was a miracle he fielded a team considering the issues surrounding the program. Rutgers won two games.

Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:41 am
True Bobcat Fan

appreciate the post, doug. that's as detailed a run down as we're going to get from an opposing fan around here. i was at cu last year and i'll be at rutgers...you should have stuck it out at colorado. rutgers is the only campus i've been to that is more depressing than texas a&m - both really embrace that 1960s soviet bloc architecture aesthetic. pretty good stadium though - i was there for the lacrosse final four when my friend was the hc there in 2002.

Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:01 am
Bobcat Wannabe

Saul Goodman wrote:
appreciate the post, doug. that's as detailed a run down as we're going to get from an opposing fan around here. i was at cu last year and i'll be at rutgers...you should have stuck it out at colorado. rutgers is the only campus i've been to that is more depressing than texas a&m - both really embrace that 1960s soviet bloc architecture aesthetic. pretty good stadium though - i was there for the lacrosse final four when my friend was the hc there in 2002.

Well, someone hit the reset button at Rutgers. You will not recognize the campus when come this fall. They updated the school's master plan spending close to a billion dollars to build new buildings and refurbish others. Even the football stadium has been upgraded. They close the open end by adding 12,000 seats. This has been going on since 2008.

Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:19 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Thanks for the insight. TXST is in a similar blow-it-up and rebuild mode. I hope it will be a good game. Wish I was making it up there but I will settle for watching at home.

Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:45 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

True story: I was one blizzard away from attending Rutgers with an academic scholarship offer in hand. My visit coincided with the tail end of a Nor'easter. Great professors, but I was ill-prepared for the weather. I could totally do it now, but 18 year old me was not on-board.

I respectfully disagree with time on the internet being "wasted." I would've never known that a monkey would fall over after smelling his own, stinky finger if it wasn't for the glory of the internet.

Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:51 pm
Bobcat Wannabe

bleed gold wrote:
True story: I was one blizzard away from attending Rutgers with an academic scholarship offer in hand. My visit coincided with the tail end of a Nor'easter. Great professors, but I was ill-prepared for the weather. I could totally do it now, but 18 year old me was not on-board.

JMU/RU student here - nice to meet you guys! Totally empathize with you here my friend, I was set to attend a certain school, visited in a snowstorm and that was the end of that.

Current RU student at the medical school (hoping to move to TX for residency) - JMU undergrad. Really looking forward to playing you guys and seeing what Everett Withers cooked up over here at Texas State. I'll be honest, I never quite liked him when he was at JMU because he had a condescending attitude at press conferences and had a "I am God" feel to him. We had the worst defense in the nation, he left, then we're up to #1 defense in nation two years later. I think his ability to recruit is his savior as a coach - but the coaching aspect seems to come up waaaaay short (correct me if I'm wrong, I only saw him coach for two years).

Anyway, look forward to playing you guys. Feel free to reach out if you're going to be in NJ for the game and I'd love to meet up at a tailgate.

Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:43 pm
Bobcat Wannabe

https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... stigation/

Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:04 pm
SuperCat

Ok believe it or not but a friend of a friend of mine is a former TCU and Rutgers QB. I met him tonight and asked him about our chances and he said "yall are gonna get your dicks kicked in". He also mentioned that one of the guys that got kicked off was a stud.

Not sure what this means but I thought it was interesting. He was at Rutgers last year.

Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:39 am
SuperCat

At least the team isn't getting their dicks kicked off.
I'm expecting a fight up there, Rutgers fans will be bitching because it will be closer than expected.

Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:23 am
True Bobcat Fan

I had a friend once who played at Rice and I remember him guaranteeing that Rice would beat Texas in 2004 when he was on the team. He was dead serious about it. Texas won 35-13.

Gotta take what current players, or recently current players, say with a grain of salt. They're too involved to see things objectively.

Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:29 am