Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 Quick updates.... 
Author Message
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:21 pm
Posts: 7352
Location: Austin
Reply with quote
Post Quick updates....
:sombrero: :sombrero: :sombrero:
:texasstate: :texasstate: :texasstate:


Haven't been following football as closely as I usually do because, well, at this point we've seen what will be in store for TxSt for the next two seasons. Few observations:

1. We will struggle to win 2-3 games this year

2. WJIII has regressed and Gipson is a QB2 at best at this point, and from watching pregame warm ups last week, we need to hand the reins to Tyler Vitt day one and roll with him through the growing pains.

3. We have an FCS squad, what little FBS talent we had on roster was thinned out the past two years and replaced with project type players at the FBS level.

4. The defense will regress from last year based on the scheme we switched to, which sucks because they were the lone bright spot in the 2-10 debacle.


Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:59 pm
Profile
True Bobcat Fan

Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2003 8:32 am
Posts: 673
Location: Houston
Reply with quote
Post Re: Quick updates....
If we have an "FCS squad" as noted by Taxman, could it be because we have an FCS coach that can't adjust to FBS? I don't have the answer to that question, I am just throwing it out there. Another 2 - 10 season would be a strong indication to me that Withers can't cut it at this level and we need a new coach.


Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:47 am
Profile
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:21 pm
Posts: 7352
Location: Austin
Reply with quote
Post Re: Quick updates....
SWT84 wrote:
If we have an "FCS squad" as noted by Taxman, could it be because we have an FCS coach that can't adjust to FBS? I don't have the answer to that question, I am just throwing it out there. Another 2 - 10 season would be a strong indication to me that Withers can't cut it at this level and we need a new coach.




In one of those "You never get a second chance to make a first impression", it took me all of 45 seconds from the moment I stepped onto the practice field under this coaching staff to see the program wasn't going anywhere. It was good that I was able to see that quick too, because a few days later is when he "banished" all the sports reporters to the far side of the farthest practice field. :lol: :lol: :lol:


Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:23 am
Profile
True Bobcat Fan
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:40 am
Posts: 5974
Reply with quote
Post Re: Quick updates....
moving this over here to spare the recruiting thread any further derailment...and because you decided you needed your own special thread.
Bobcat.taxman wrote:
I've been more right than anyone on this board the past 4-5 years. People on here are just selective on what they choose to acknowledge.

had to go looking for the infamous 10 win prediction, but couldn't dig through the archives well enough... had to settle for you doubling down multiple times during that season:

sep 29, 2015 (1-3, headed to sbc play):
Bobcat.taxman wrote:
Like Jimmy Johnson said before the 1994 NFC Championship game. Print it with three inch headlines.

We will lose only one more game the rest of the year, against Georgia Southern. Once everyone takes one step back from the ledge, you will see that the football Gods played a cruel joke on the Bobcats and overloaded our early schedule with FBS teams that will:

1. Finish ranked in the top 25

2. Make Bowl games

the detail later in the same post is great too:
Bobcat.taxman wrote:
ULL has been struggling with their QB situation, their defensive line is not as strong as years past, and they have been riding their RB all season. We should be able to finally beat them this year to turn our season around.

we lost that game 49-27. their qb threw for 238y, 3td, 0int, w/ a 76% comp rate.

and a month later...

oct 31, 2015 (2-5):
Bobcat.taxman wrote:
I think from here on out, we run the table. Only AkSt is on the same level as us, and I like our chances against them after how they've looked the past couple games (struggled against USA & ULM).

not surprisingly, we went 1-4 the rest of the way.


and isn't this exactly who you are now that your buddy fran is gone?
Bobcat.taxman wrote:
Let me ask, are you really a Bobcat fan if all you ever do is wait for them to lose to voice your displeasure, but never give them props when they exceed your expectations (a loss to USA).

_________________
1 down
2 to go


Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:18 am
Profile
BF.com Elite Sponsor
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2003 8:34 pm
Posts: 14911
Location: Ten minutes north of Lake Travis
Reply with quote
Post Re: Quick updates....
No Saul, it's totally different now. Because... Withers was mean to taxman!

_________________
Image


Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:08 am
Profile
True Bobcat Fan
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:31 pm
Posts: 834
Location: Fran's Cupboard
Reply with quote
Post Re: Quick updates....
Thank you for doing that, Saul. I was going to do that, but then found out that I lack self-motivation.

_________________
Image


Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:07 pm
Profile
True Bobcat Fan

Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:48 am
Posts: 1023
Reply with quote
Post Re: Quick updates....
Bobcat.taxman wrote:
:sombrero: :sombrero: :sombrero:
:texasstate: :texasstate: :texasstate:


Haven't been following football as closely as I usually do because, well, at this point we've seen what will be in store for TxSt for the next two seasons. Few observations:

1. We will struggle to win 2-3 games this year

2. WJIII has regressed and Gipson is a QB2 at best at this point, and from watching pregame warm ups last week, we need to hand the reins to Tyler Vitt day one and roll with him through the growing pains.

3. We have an FCS squad, what little FBS talent we had on roster was thinned out the past two years and replaced with project type players at the FBS level.

4. The defense will regress from last year based on the scheme we switched to, which sucks because they were the lone bright spot in the 2-10 debacle.


Taxman...

2. How has Jones regressed? I'd like to know what you are seeing. Same for Gipson. I don't doubt that Vitt will get an opportunity to play.

4. Tell me what you are seeing on the defensive side of things. Is it the 4-2-5 that concerns you or something else? My biggest thing is that we make sure to use our personnel more effectively this season.


Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:25 pm
Profile
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:21 pm
Posts: 7352
Location: Austin
Reply with quote
Post Re: Quick updates....
Bobkat34 wrote:

Taxman...

2. How has Jones regressed? I'd like to know what you are seeing. Same for Gipson. I don't doubt that Vitt will get an opportunity to play.

4. Tell me what you are seeing on the defensive side of things. Is it the 4-2-5 that concerns you or something else? My biggest thing is that we make sure to use our personnel more effectively this season.



Last season, Jones was a pass first QB, and used his legs when he was flushed or the play broke down. From the limited sample during the Spring scrimmage, he had zero trust in his line and didn't even attempt to go through progressions. It wasn't the coverage either, because there were some glaring holes in the secondary, which Gipson did a better job of finding open guys across the middle.


What worries me about the defense is that we lost our biggest piece of that puzzle (there's a reason why McCray was poached by the NFL), and if that wasn't bad enough....we switched to a different scheme which we don't have the horses to run (our secondary was suspect last year and we had zero depth).


Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:34 pm
Profile
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:21 pm
Posts: 7352
Location: Austin
Reply with quote
Post Re: Quick updates....
Saul Goodman wrote:
moving this over here to spare the recruiting thread any further derailment...and because you decided you needed your own special thread.
Bobcat.taxman wrote:
I've been more right than anyone on this board the past 4-5 years. People on here are just selective on what they choose to acknowledge.

had to go looking for the infamous 10 win prediction, but couldn't dig through the archives well enough... had to settle for you doubling down multiple times during that season:

sep 29, 2015 (1-3, headed to sbc play):
Bobcat.taxman wrote:
Like Jimmy Johnson said before the 1994 NFC Championship game. Print it with three inch headlines.

We will lose only one more game the rest of the year, against Georgia Southern. Once everyone takes one step back from the ledge, you will see that the football Gods played a cruel joke on the Bobcats and overloaded our early schedule with FBS teams that will:

1. Finish ranked in the top 25

2. Make Bowl games

the detail later in the same post is great too:
Bobcat.taxman wrote:
ULL has been struggling with their QB situation, their defensive line is not as strong as years past, and they have been riding their RB all season. We should be able to finally beat them this year to turn our season around.

we lost that game 49-27. their qb threw for 238y, 3td, 0int, w/ a 76% comp rate.

and a month later...

oct 31, 2015 (2-5):
Bobcat.taxman wrote:
I think from here on out, we run the table. Only AkSt is on the same level as us, and I like our chances against them after how they've looked the past couple games (struggled against USA & ULM).

not surprisingly, we went 1-4 the rest of the way.


and isn't this exactly who you are now that your buddy fran is gone?
Bobcat.taxman wrote:
Let me ask, are you really a Bobcat fan if all you ever do is wait for them to lose to voice your displeasure, but never give them props when they exceed your expectations (a loss to USA).



You're sad....you spent God only knows how long looking for a thread where you could find vindication and you had to go back THREE years to find one? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sad. Sad. Sad.


Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:36 pm
Profile
True Bobcat Fan
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:40 am
Posts: 5974
Reply with quote
Post Re: Quick updates....
uh, search function much? florida state + bobcat.taxman and that post is the 2nd result. so, literally about 30 seconds.

_________________
1 down
2 to go


Sun Apr 29, 2018 12:22 pm
Profile
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:21 pm
Posts: 7352
Location: Austin
Reply with quote
Post Re: Quick updates....
Saul Goodman wrote:
uh, search function much? florida state + bobcat.taxman and that post is the 2nd result. so, literally about 30 seconds.




So you went three years back, against the best opponent we faced all season, before any injuries affected that team....to find vindication? Again, sad and mostly proves my point.


Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:00 pm
Profile
True Bobcat Fan
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:40 am
Posts: 5974
Reply with quote
Post Re: Quick updates....
your 10 win prediction was for 2015, when we played florida state. search for unique identifiers, get results. not exactly rocket surgery.

_________________
1 down
2 to go


Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:09 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 14 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
All Rights Reserved, BobcatFans LLC
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group