Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 The way too early Expectations thread... With a twist 
True Bobcat Fan

Post Re: The way too early Expectations thread... With a twist
VP98 wrote:
Texas State:The only school where 5-7 is a sucessful season.

not even close. there's plenty of suckage out there, and you don't have to look very far to find it.
utep was winless last year and has won fewer than 5 games in 4 of the last 6 seasons.
rice would be thrilled to get back to 5 wins after a bobcat equaling 4 wins over the last 2 years.
baylor should be thrilled w/ 5 wins after 1-11 and attrition that rivals ours - they will be right there w/ us as one of the youngest teams in fbs.
there's another dozen or so squads out there who would be very happy to hit 5 wins this season.

Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:56 am
SuperCat

I expect 4 wins. We will win 2-3 because like last year we will almost beat a good team early in the season (UTSA or similar) and it will deflate the team and they will not recover. If we somehow get lucky and win 6 in spite of our lack of depth and size we will still be denied a bowl game. Thanks, Larry.

Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:09 am
SuperCat

I expect 4 wins. We will win 2-3 because like last year we will almost beat a good team early in the season (UTSA or similar) and it will deflate the team and they will not recover. If we somehow get lucky and win 6 in spite of our lack of depth and size we will still be denied a bowl game. Thanks, Larry.

Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:10 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

bleed gold wrote:
Withers told us not to be patient, so I will not be patient. He talked a big game, so it is time for results. My expectation is 7 wins. My reality is 4 wins and Withers moves to the hot seat unless there are indications of magic emerging (see the Troy reference earlier in thread).

Something has been stuck in my head that I don't like... (and let me preface by saying I know it's all coachspeak).

When he showed up, he was talking recruiting and said he wants immediate starters, and if you're not competing for a starting job day 1, you are probably looking at being replaced in the next recruiting class (this is a vast paraphrasing).

Now, he's talking about how day 1 impact players are extremely rare at the G5 level and it's nice to be able to redshirt guys.

I get it, it's different stages of team building, but I like consistent messages.

Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:12 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

his message is consistent coach speak
reminds me of an evangelical preacher

Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:44 am
SuperCat

Maybe he meant that the cupboard was so bare that he was recruiting with the intent of starting some of those guys. Now that we have starters entrenched we can build depth and experience with redshirts whereas we couldn't redshirt guys previously because we needed them to play. Idk?

Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:15 am
True Bobcat Fan

Saul Goodman wrote:
VP98 wrote:

not even close. there's plenty of suckage out there, and you don't have to look very far to find it.
utep was winless last year and has won fewer than 5 games in 4 of the last 6 seasons.
rice would be thrilled to get back to 5 wins after a bobcat equaling 4 wins over the last 2 years.
baylor should be thrilled w/ 5 wins after 1-11 and attrition that rivals ours - they will be right there w/ us as one of the youngest teams in fbs.
there's another dozen or so squads out there who would be very happy to hit 5 wins this season.

lets not compare anything that baylor is going through to anything that we are going through. would you rather be doormat of b12 or sunbelt? i think you were headed that direction. plus if we graduated heisman rg3, had some bcs appearances not to mention just missing cfb playoff in 2014 sure i wouldnt mind having 3 or 4 doormat seasons to follow but not the case with us

Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:36 am
True Bobcat Fan

my most optimistic outcome:
8-4 benefits from weak non conference

W @ Rutgers- these guys have not been a legit p5 since joining p5 in 2014
W vs TSU
W @ USA- maybe the only thing worst than us ending the season like we did to troy was usa losing like they did to GS. have to think this is a must win game for withers
W @ UTSA- kept hearing all this commotion last season about how many srs they graduate
W vs Louisiana- Huds is out and only silver lining here
L vs GA Southern
L @ LA Monroe
W vs NM State
W @ GA State
W vs App State revenge of the game we had a lot of opportunities to win last year
L @ Troy
L vs stAte

Reality: injuries, bad time management and same old same old on both lines
5-7

L @ Rutgers- Playing a P5 team gets in Withers head just like Illinois did to Fran
W vs TX Southern
W @ USA- The only team in sunbelt that we continue to play well
L @ UTSA- Frank Wilson just turns out to be the better specimen from the "Mack Brown coaching tree"
L vs Louisiana- Doesn't matter who their coach is or if they are rebuilding
L vs GA Southern -Still cant handle option even with Willie Fritz gone. Barrick Nealy is not here to beat them
L @ LA Monroe - Their QB had our number last year can't see anything changing
W vs NM State - Don't schedule a g5 team that doesn't even have a home conference/ Rose and Rodgers are gone
W @ GA State- Their 10 fans have no impact on scrimmage
W vs App State -marquee victory gets withers an extension before contract is up :(
L @ Troy
L vs Ark State

Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:03 am
True Bobcat Fan

Phratcatbocoloco wrote:
would you rather be doormat of b12 or sunbelt? i think you were headed that direction.

it wasn't, but you've never let anything anyone else posts stop you from inventing your own narrative.

Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:57 am
True Bobcat Fan

4-5 wins with bowl eligible in 2019. Since EW considers year 1 to be year 0, this seems the most realistic.

Anything less than 4 is a massive failure.

6 is a great year.

7+ is time to buy a lotto ticket

Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:09 pm
True Bobcat Fan

I'm not sure I follow that Withers' message has changed. He has enough guys to start so now he doesn't need 15 of his 25ish signees in 2018 to come in a play immediately. Last year, he needed Foster, Jordan, Smith, Nelson, W.Jones, Haydel, Twyford, Patton, Daniels, Brannon, and a few others were burned... and they were all needed. By ship numbers, he should have enough that he could redshirt a few more than "have to use" them. I'd still expect 10-12 to play this season but he can hope to not have to burn a Daniels like he did in last 2-3 games.

I don't see that as his message changing. If that is changing then so is every coaches' message from 2017 to 2018 season like when they have some new slogan such as "Finish" or something catchy.

I do see the point of coaches keeping their message clear but good luck on that.

Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:43 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Bobbumman wrote:
my most optimistic outcome:

Reality: injuries, bad time management, no depth, and same old same old on both lines
5-7

L @ Rutgers- Playing a P5 team gets in Withers head just like Illinois did to Fran
W vs TX Southern
W @ USA- The only team in sunbelt that we continue to play well
L @ UTSA- Frank Wilson just turns out to be the better specimen from the "Mack Brown coaching tree"
W vs Louisiana- Hey, beating ULL is bound to happen
L vs GA Southern -Still cant handle option even with Willie Fritz gone. Barrick Nealy is not here to beat them
L @ LA Monroe - Their QB had our number last year can't see anything changing
W vs NM State - Don't schedule a g5 team that doesn't even have a home conference/ Rose and Rodgers are gone
W @ GA State- Their 10 fans have no impact on scrimmage
L vs App State -
L @ Troy
L vs Ark State

pretty much how I feel. But, i'd like to think we can beat LA monroe, Rutgers, GA Southern, and maybe App state.

Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:28 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Phratcatbocoloco wrote:
Saul Goodman wrote:
VP98 wrote:

lets not compare anything that baylor is going through to anything that we are going through. would you rather be doormat of b12 or sunbelt? i think you were headed that direction. plus if we graduated heisman rg3, had some bcs appearances not to mention just missing cfb playoff in 2014 sure i wouldnt mind having 3 or 4 doormat seasons to follow but not the case with us

Alright FU both of you for mentioning my post and BU in the same post. BU sucks. I don't see why anybody would want their daughters going there.

Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:33 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Since you didn't want to say it... I'll say it.

Fuck you both!

Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:37 pm
True Bobcat Fan

VP98 wrote:
BU sucks. I don't see why anybody would want their daughters going there.

what about their sons? ok to go to baylor?

Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:21 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next