Coach Withers Spring Practice Presser 
True Bobcat Fan

Post Coach Withers Spring Practice Presser
https://www.pscp.tv/w/1ZkJzVpyWNZJv

Haven't gotten the opportunity to watch it, so I'll give my thoughts/summarize it at a later time.

Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:30 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Post Re: Coach Withers Spring Practice Presser
Why weren't you there you mangy piece of shit!?!?!

Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:49 pm
True Bobcat Fan

i had a very important 11 am meeting with ur mum

Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:54 pm
Junior Bobcat

Not a whole lot of groundbreaking info.

Did say that he thinks we are more talented at QB. Williams had experience, but wasn't really that great. Mentioned Willie Jones, Jaylen Gipson and Tyler Vitt. So as expected will probably be one of those 3 at QB.

Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:02 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Coaching changes (nothing new other than Montinar taking special teams). Funny he says staff issues then notes "changes" as he reworded. I thought that was funny.

-88 guys practicing
-9 injured (Ish Davis-ACL, Waddy-should, Elijah Rogers ACL last game, Foster concussion protocol, Hays may be back in late spring). Rogers out gives Rushing all major reps with PWOs same for Roach/Rodgers at CB and a look at other OTs with Foster out. Very concerned at DE! Taylor can play there but is likely a DT, Wilkins could play there but after those... PWOs only as Hines moved back to OLB.
-Continue to recruit and add to 18 class (noted needing help
-2-3 Jr. days to get juniors on campus and others from 18 class
-Close to a full roster; 7-8 spots from full roster; need to stay healthy
-18 class to add depth and not have to be starters but depth is needed
-Competition at multiple areas, which is a good thing

Q&A:
-OL still not there depth wise but are further ahead than DL (number wise); have enough to run backups and some 3rd guys but doesn't mean we are 3 deep
-P5 have freshmen impact players but not the same at G5 level where it is more upperclassmen that are the impact players
-Defensively try to stay similar but some change
-Off season workouts; look fit/stronger; want to be a bigger team and believes we are putting on size/muscle mass to help injury prevention and explosiveness
-OL important in technique with Coach Mateos; need to build confidence and technique; 18 class has 4 more guys come in "at least and hope to have more"
-QB are more talented athletically than Williams; Jones/Gipson/Vitt (no mention of Kelley so will be interesting if he's still on campus and at what position); positive to have Elliott back to help teach them; no starter until August (giving Vitt his chance)
-Defensive scheme to stop run; make opponents one-dimensional/winning downs for 3rd and long; take advantage of our guys to do things
-Kuhr is OC right now but that may change (Elliott may be involved is my guess)
-Wants to see Bedford, Haydel/Twyford in year 2, 4 WRs coming in that are as physically talented; Hutch White/Hays; Secondary (no names); need to improve at OL/DL as well
-still recruiting '18 class (noted this 3-4 times)
-kicking game should improve with signees
-no 18 signees on campus until June
-Leadership lost and return; didn't sign a LB this class b/c they feel talent is good enough; Nick Daniels & Clifton Lewis, healthy Vinson (may be best athlete/talent on team) & Brannon

Sad no one had guts to ask about any players that have left team or will not be on roster tomorrow. Hopefully someone takes a photo of roster from practice b/c there is nothing on website. My guess is NCAA requires them to post a roster and so hopefully there will be one by tomorrow. We'll see.

Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:15 pm
SuperCat

Yea I figured attrition and position changes are two pretty basic questions for an opening press conference for a new practice period. Neither were asked.

Withers said a few times the #s were better at DL than OL. Makes me wonder if the Pierce switch to DL may stick? He also said he wanted to be bigger, so maybe a NG goes down to DT and a DT moves down to DE to help with the size on the DL.

Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:14 am
True Bobcat Fan

Not sure... only a few things I can imagine they do to balance out DL for spring:
DT: Patton, Lanza
NT Awad, Daniels, Lilly
DE: Taylor; Wilkins

That is best option I see. If not, the coaches better like 1-2 PWOs but if they did... wouldn't they have already earned a ship like Lanza did? I would think so.

Pierce is possible but if so, he'd likely be a NT so that would mean someone from NT would move and that is not likely Awad, Daniels or Lilly... only leaves Patton, who I always imagined would be a DT because of his quickness of the snap and ability to run sideline to sideline (some ways I think he's wasted at NT because of his athleticism).

We'll see.

Sure hope someone gets a copy of their roster from practice and posts it on twitter.

Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:11 am
SuperCat

Bobkat34 wrote:
My guess is NCAA requires them to post a roster

No.

Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:06 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

https://twitter.com/Nick_Castillo74/status/976135500036759552
2018 Spring Roster

https://twitter.com/Nick_Castillo74/status/976136588580278272
List of lettermen lost: non-seniors that left the program — Luke Kretschmer, Tryston Mizerak, Grant Lanza, Jordan Mittie (Transfer to Kansas State) and Marcus Ripley.

Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:52 am
SuperCat

Changes I see:
Kelley QB to DB
King OT to OG
Rowland OG to OT
Pierce OG to DT
Patton NG to DT
Hines at DE

No Cedric Gambrell as well.

Jalen Smith is listed as a transfer from Fresno State (DB). He redshirted due to injury in ‘15. Played five games and then hurt again and missed last seven in ‘16. Not on their 2017 roster, so not sure if he will be required to sit out or what the story is. Assume he’s on scholarship.

https://247sports.com/Player/Jalen-Smit ... ool-109965

Eight seniors on scholarship. 74 total (includes Smith) assuming all signees make it.

Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:42 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Lanza is gone? He transferred here, played one season, and left.

Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:55 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Some of the things discussed on here seem to be coming true:
-Pierce listed as DT
-Graham back to ILB
-Hines still listed as DE but his twitter page and he even tweeted he be moving back to OLB earlier this year. Hmm...
-Washington listed as a guard
-Brewer still listed as center but then again Rowland listed as OT so don't believe everything you see.

No sign of Aneke, so he's likely gone too.
Shocked about Ripley, a SBC player of the week, TWICE!
Lanza... what was purpose of giving him ship for 1 season? Wasted ship last recruiting class, hopefully he's one of the open ships now.
I heard Mizerak was not coming back but wanted to wait to see it. Hurts due to depth reasons. With no JC TE added this signing class (as of now), I hoped Kretchsmer would be helpful at 6'2/240... nope... he left.

Well, juniors must pick up slack as leaders because there is no option.

Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:53 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Interesting move with Kelly to DB. I like having that height at DB, though. I'm guessing he played there in high school?

Did I completely miss Lanza leaving? Seems very random.

Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:53 pm
True Bobcat Fan

LSU Bobcat wrote:
Interesting move with Kelly to DB. I like having that height at DB, though. I'm guessing he played there in high school?

Did I completely miss Lanza leaving? Seems very random.

My guess is Lanza is graduating and he decided to move on (at this level G5, seems pretty common or at least at TXST it happens a ton).

Kelly was a QB junior year but played RB his senior year and some at DB. My guess is he'll be a S. I don't see CB in a 3-4 in his skill set (from his video). I see S with good size.

I didn't think we could get any younger than last year, well we did! Damn.

Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:11 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Here was my previous depth chart going into Spring practices with edits based on spring roster changes (note: does not mean that will be where they are before the season begins):

NOTE:Most I placed in order of last season (by who started and/or was backup/amount of reps we saw them get, then freshmen)

Offense:
QB-Jones, Gipson, Vitt
RB-Taylor, Brown, Smith, Nelson
TE-Rogers, Rushing, Lanam, Callouett
WR-Haydel, Johnson, Aragon, Graham
WR-Watts, Twyford, Sheread
WR-Hays, White, Hopkins, Bedford
RT-Moore,
RG-Rowland, Lemons, Vatterot, King, Macadory
C-Jordan, *Brewer
LG-*Brewer, Washington, Carlile, Momerelle
LT-Foster, Cooks
K/P Ripley, Sherman, Kessler, Stewart

Defense:
OLB-Griffin, *Graham, Coleman, Harris
DT-Taylor, Pierce (?), Ezidore,
NT-Patton, Awad, Daniels, Lilly
DE-Davis, Wilkins, Schaefer, Calvin, Lynch
OLB-Vinson, Hines, Smith
ILB-Daniels, Brannon, *Graham
ILB-London, Lewis
CB-Taylor, Rodgers, Morris
CB-Waddy, Roach, Pope
S-Newman, Anthony, Heard, Withers, Kelley
FS-Krawcyzk, Dimery, Johnson

I'm not ready to buy Rowland's move to OT as he was listed last season as OT and played guard all season. I'm going with what Hines tweeted by moving to OLB but he may get some reps as a DE. While I like the idea of Patton at DT, last season he was listed as DT but played NT. Again, we'll see. They list Brannon at OLB but I don't believe it for a second! That would tell us we only have 3 ship ILBs!!! Yeah, right.

For spring, I wouldn't mind seeing this front 3 depth wise:
DT: Patton, Pierce
NT: Awad, Daniels, Lilly
DE: Taylor, Wilkins
-Not sure what other options to get reps for ship guys and use PWOs for 3rd string.
The OL is much more difficult to figure out:
RT: *Rowland
RG: *Rowland(?), Carlile, Vatterot
C: Jordan
LG: Brewer; Lemons
LT: Washington (my guess)
-Damn shame the lack of depth on OL. Here to hoping we add 1-2 JC OL for depth at OT and/or OG. Lost 2 JC OL last season and lose Mizerak. Doesn't make us stronger. Foster is out and lack of depth at OT is ridiculous until the freshmen come in. Maybe Momerelle and Macadory will play where ever best suits TXST.

I'm not very excited about us in the trenches this spring.

Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:11 pm