Coach Withers Spring Practice Presser 
True Bobcat Fan

Post Re: Coach Withers Spring Practice Presser
Bobkat34 wrote:
I'm not very excited about us in the trenches this spring

neither should everett as hes now been here since january 2016. not to mention he had like 5 scholarships leftover from the 2018 class that he has not used yet. excuses are starting to run thin when he doesnt even use all his resources. thats insulting when you dont use all thats given to you and then turn around and complain

Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:25 am
True Bobcat Fan

Bobkat34 wrote:

They list Brannon at OLB but I don't believe it for a second! That would tell us we only have 3 ship ILBs!!! Yeah, right.

It's entirely possible. In the press conference, Withers said they didn't sign a linebacker because they like and feel confident in who they already have. In reality, they desperately tried signing not one but two LBs. They just couldn't get anyone worth a shit to come. Even the kid(s) who had been committed as linebackers for a long period of time dropped TX State to go elsewhere after official and/or home visits. Look at the list of official visitors that were posted on this site. Check out the LBs that were brought in, who had offers, and how none of them wanted to come.

It's a total shitshow. The ship is taking on more water than it can handle. That's why anyone with a bit of foresight is accepting a step down in order to assure themselves of future employment.

Hell, they offered the OL GA spot to a young D2 coach. After talking to former TX State coaches and numerous high school coaches in Texas, he turned it down.

Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:28 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

At the end of spring training, one of the reporters needs to grow a pair and ask him how many players are on schollie. If he dances around the question and refuses to answer, they need to ask him if he or the AD would give them this info.

Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:30 am
True Bobcat Fan

Canaquedista Man wrote:
At the end of spring training, one of the reporters needs to grow a pair and ask him how many players are on schollie. If he dances around the question and refuses to answer, they need to ask him if he or the AD would give them this info.

It's a public university. If he dances around the question, make an open records request.

Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:18 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Every year I expect it to get less depressing to follow this program. There are so few of us that have stuck around for 10+ years. I am starting to lose interest. Wright, Fran, and Withers have bored me to tears.

Maybe when they hire a new coach in 2-3 years something will change. Probably not unless Teis is gone but maybe.

Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:43 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Canaquedista Man wrote:

That's probably not a good idea if the reporter wants to get any answers again and if he doesn't want to be harassed. Check out what happened to the reporter at James Madison who asked questions that the Withers' didn't like. After seeing the tweet from Withers' wife, be sure to read the comments from people at the bottom:

http://jmusportsblog.com/?p=8299

Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:43 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

slycat wrote:
Every year I expect it to get less depressing to follow this program. There are so few of us that have stuck around for 10+ years. I am starting to lose interest. Wright, Fran, and Withers have bored me to tears.

Maybe when they hire a new coach in 2-3 years something will change. Probably not unless Teis is gone but maybe.

I think we'll see a much improved product this year, and next year will be the year that we will be relatively serious contenders.

Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:16 pm
SuperCat

Run faster are you one of those JMU guys? I seem to remember some of them mentioning those wife tweets on their board whenever we hired Withers and they were all shitting on him and us. Haven't seen them brought up since.

Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:13 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Spring roster has been released on the website: http://txstatebobcats.com/roster.aspx?r ... h=football

Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:43 am
True Bobcat Fan

Lets discuss what things we need to see to believe we have a chance to improve this coming season:

-QB competition heats up. Competition is the best way for players to improve and we need Gipson to push Jones to improve and vice versa. I'd even suggest we need to see both play well because running/dual-threat QBs get hurt so we'll need 2 QBs capable to starting.
OL- Gotta find players to fill voids or at minimum are backups. Last year, we were about 7-8 deep and that was from Withers. My guess was our starting 5 (Foster, Brewer, Jordan, Rowland, Mizerak and then either Lemons, Washington, and/or Pierce). Going into this spring, Foster will be out but I think we can all consider him a starter/backup and then Brewer, Jordan and Rowland are back. So we looking for 1-2 starters and/or 3-4 backups for a decent 2-deep. The one thing I do like is Mateos seems to have settled our OL concerns from year 1 and he came in just about this time last year give a week or 2. I'm hopefully he can help this group balance out more this coming season... assuming he can add 1-2 likely JC that can make it in (Pesa academics).. healthy (Mayes).
TE- With Rogers out, it is all Rushing's position to lose to PWOs. Again, another position I think we need to add at least 1 JC TE in case Rogers takes more time and only other options or 2 true freshmen/PWOs. Ugh.
I'm not overly concerned at RB or WR.

DL- Can we find a balance with losses of Mittie, and Lanza. I like the idea I gave earlier to balance it out from moving Patton to DT with Pierce backing up until Ezidore comes in, NT Awad, Daniels, Lilly, and DE Taylor and Wilkins. Still think we'll likely try to add 1 JC DT (most likely easier to find a DT than DE to play in our 34 scheme).
ILB-With 3-4 ILBs on ship and where Brannon/Graham move to, we are either going to be solid here or need more depth. I am not big on sticking with just 2 deep on this position but our coaching staff seems fine.
CB-Gotta find some ballers here and a great opportunity for Rodgers and Roach to get more reps with Waddy out. Still think we need another CB this coming season (not just the 1-2 CBs we signed in 18 class).
S-Experience is the biggest concern here with only AJ Krawczyk coming back with multiple game experience. Need Dimery/Newman to step up and 2-3 freshmen to be able to play some.
K/P with Ridley surprising gone, we need both kickers/punters to play next season. Sorry Sherman but we need someone that can be counted on to make kicks. Just the normal kicks and at least up to 35 yarders.

Special teams: Losing so many players may hurt here the most. While Withers says we shouldn't need to have so many freshmen play as much, I disagree because punt coverage and kick-off coverage will need freshmen to play and play WELL.

Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:42 am
True Bobcat Fan

I see a CB PWO gone (Farrar), TE PWO (Cochrane), and a few other PWOs no longer on roster from last season. I know it happens. Just noting it.

Some guys are intriguing based on size and some we know about (just will note them):
-DL Kingsley Onyirioha 6'2/283
-David Tachie 6'4/313

Maybe these guys can provide some depth.

Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:52 am