Taken with a grain of salt.... 
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Post Taken with a grain of salt....
:sombrero: :sombrero: :sombrero:
:texasstate: :texasstate: :texasstate:

Granted it was the 108th ranked offense in the NCAA going against the 103rd ranked defense, but this looked more like a 4 or 5 win season in that first scrimmage than a 1-2 win team.

From the M&G game through fall camp, it did seem to translate less time at the square and more time in the weight room where the size across the board seemed better than in April. The backups are still undersized, but most of the starting unit seemed capable of holding their own against low tier FBS opponents come September.

WJIII looked good, but again was against the 127th pass defense in the nation last year, so he needs to continue to improve on the dismal 48% completion rate he had last season. Rutgers may not be a top tier BG10 team, but their passing defense was 55th in the NCAA and only gave up 191 pypg to unranked opponents last season.

By comparison, our secondary gave up 297 pypg and it looked like we don't have a roof over their heads this year either.

Those two factors are going to make or break the season (a 1st year starter at QB for us, a non-existent pass defense), seeing as how we don't have much of a run game to speak of and a new defensive coordinator/system in place.

Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:31 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Post Re: Taken with a grain of salt....
We were close to being a four win team last season.

We can make the jump if we improve our red zone efficiency. From what I’ve heard, Withers rolled out a different line up in the RZ.

We aren’t going to get better in the secondary until Withers realizes he needs to replace his CB coach. I’ll hold my breath on the new safeties coach we got, but again I heard that we didn’t look great there either.
Special teams also needs an overhaul, but that seems to be the very last priority on Withers’ mind.

Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:42 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Re: your comment about special teams and where they appear to fit in the Bobcats' mindset:

FWIW, special teams work was the very first set of drills done after warmups/stretching. They spent significant time on it, I thought, and I was glad to see it was so high in the practice schedule.

:cat:

Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:55 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Taxman... are you no longer the pessimist of the group anymore? Wow. Joking aside, good to hear you saw some positives to take away.

The grad senior TE looks to be a player. While I wasn't at the scrimmage, I'd say don't be surprised that what you saw wasn't regular starters and Withers is the type of move players around and see how they do, especially early in August practices.

I would say expect many changes when the season starts. Not double digits but some guys starting this scrimmage are not likely the starters come game 1. This may include some players we think are starters now. The OL started a true freshmen at LT. Will that happen again, I doubt it (I'd expect them to put in a veteran over a true freshmen due to a young QB even if it means moving say Brewer there). But if a player moves to the outside, it leaves an inside spot open. For example, Heitmieir is likely a good backup this coming season and Cooks may be the same.

Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:03 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Who is our special teams coach?
Wasn't Withers in charge of these when he first arrived?

Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:18 am
True Bobcat Fan

Montinar (CBs coach) is also the special teams coordinator.

Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:59 pm
SuperCat

x wrote:

That's new this year. And how Withers handled that was yet another colossal fvck-up.

Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:13 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

run faster wrote:
That's new this year. And how Withers handled that was yet another colossal fvck-up.

NOW is when you decide to censor yourself?

Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:39 pm
True Bobcat Fan

run faster wrote:
x wrote:

Care to elaborate?

Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:01 pm
SuperCat

x wrote:
run faster wrote:
x wrote:

Care to elaborate?

I only know bits-and-pieces, which isn't fair to post. Give me a couple of days to hear back the full story.

Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:49 pm
SuperCat

Quote:
I only know bits-and-pieces, which isn't fair to post. Give me a couple of days to hear back the full story.

Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:39 pm
SuperCat

LSU Bobcat wrote:
Quote:

You're right. I could just fabricate shit like Saul does. Why wouldn't I just make something up instead of waiting to fully get the entire story?

Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:36 pm
Junior Bobcat

or maybe just wait until you have your story together before intimating that you have some scoop on a story about Withers being terrible at his job.

Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:42 pm
True Bobcat Fan

run faster wrote:
I could just fabricate shit like Saul does.

Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:26 pm
SuperCat

chockky2 wrote:
or maybe just wait until you have your story together before intimating that you have some scoop on a story about Withers being terrible at his job.

I was told the story months ago. I don't recall the entirety of it but do remember the lack of professionalism, organization, and logic behind it. For the sake of not presenting incorrect information and being able to present the entire story, it is prudent to wait until I hear it again now that I have asked about it.

Any rational person would do the same.

Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:42 pm