Leave Larry Alone 
SuperCat

Post Leave Larry Alone
Teis' job isn't and shouldn't be based on the success or failure of one sports program. He has 13 different teams he is in charge of, and any reasonable person would look at the entire athletic department in judging his results.

Over the last two years, we have had 26 different team seasons. We all know the issue with football which is on Teis for making a bad hire, but for the purpose of this discussion, eliminate their two seasons. That leaves 24 seasons. Of those 24 seasons, 18 have finished in the top half of the conference. 75% of your teams finishing in the top half of the conference is strong. Even more impressive is that 14 of those 24 finished as one of the top 3 teams in the conference.

But lets look at something even more reasonable - the Vic Bubas Cup, which is awarded to the best all around athletic department in the conference. In 2017-2018, Texas State finished 2nd. If football would have finished 9th out of 12 teams, Texas State would have won the cup. In 2016-2017, Texas State finished 2nd again. They lost by .5 points. If Texas State had just finished 10th in football instead of 11th, Texas State would have won the cup. In 2015-2016, Texas State against finished 2nd in the entire conference. In 2014-2015, Texas State also finished 2nd.

Texas State has finished 2nd in the Sun Belt athletics standings for four straight years. What is keeping them back? Everett Withers. Why not Fran? In 2014 when Texas State finished 2nd, the football team was 4th in the conference. Withers finishing in dead last both of his years has been the difference.

Sorry, but based on the success of Texas State's athletics department, which has been impressive over the last four years, Larry isn't going anywhere . . . nor should he be. He made a bad hire, the bad hire is just as much at fault, and Larry has succeeded at a high rate elsewhere.

2016 - 2017

Mens:

Baseball - 5th out of 11
Basketball - 3rd out of 12
Cross Country - 3rd out of 10
Football - 11th out of 11
Golf - 5th out of 12
Track & Field - 2nd out of 10

Womens:

Basketball - 4th out of 12
Cross Country - 8th out of 12
Golf - 3rd out of 10
Soccer - 8th out of 11
Tennis - 8th out of 11
Track & Field - 1st out of 12
Volleyball - 2nd out of 12

2017-2018

Mens:

Baseball - 6th out of 12
Basketball - 9th out of 12
Cross Country - 3rd out of 10
Football - 12th out of 12
Golf - 8th out of 12
Track & Field - 2nd out of 10

Womens:

Basketball - 2nd out of 12
Cross Country - 1st out of 12
Golf - 3rd out of 11
Soccer - 2nd out of 11
Tennis - 11th out of 11
Track & Field - 1st out of 11
Volleyball - 2nd out of 12

Last edited by run faster on Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:01 am
Site Admin

Post Re: Leave Larry Alone
Lol

Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:04 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Oh! Now it makes sense.

Hi Larry!

Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:53 am
SuperCat

I guess you haven't been following Texas State very long. This topic has been discussed ad nauseam. Since you clearly have no clue what you are talking about, I have done you a favor and pulled together just a few of the highlights from Teis time here as our AD. Keep in mind, this is only a few of the biggest issues we all have with him and not the entire case against him.

This quote is from November 15, 2016, to give you a point of reference.
tx.state wrote:
I did the the heavy lifting because I want you to tell me what you consider "a lot of success" and "numerous conference championships."

Through the results of the games yesterday - I pulled every sport with data available since the time that Larry Teis became our AD. He was hired in May 2004 so I started with 2004 results for fall sports (vball, fball, bball, soccer) and 2005 results for spring sports (baseball, softball). Here are the results:

Football
72-79 (.477)
2 conference championships (2005*, 2008**)
2 FCS playoff appearances (2005, 2008) [2005 lost semi-finals, 2008 lost in first round]
2 bowl eligible seasons (2013, 2014)
0 bowl games
0 bowl wins

*co-champions with Nichols
**Central Arkansas actually won conference but was disqualified by NCAA

Volleyball (by far the most successful sport)
247-157 (.611)
2 regular season conf championships (2008, 2011)
5 conference tournament championships (2005, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2013)
5 NCAA tournament appearances (2005, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2013) [all first round exits]

Women's Soccer
126-102-16 (.588)
2 regular season conference championships (2008, 2009)
3 NCAA tournament appearances (2008, 2009) [all first round exits]

Men's Basketball
143-218 (.396)
0 regular season conference championships
0 conference tournament championships
0 NCAA tournament appearances

Women's Basketball
170-188 (.475)
0 regular season conference championships
0 conference tournament championships
0 NCAA tournament appearances

Baseball (nice 3-year run)
394-309-1 (.561)
3 regular season conference championships (2009, 2010, 2011)
2 conference tournament championships (2009, 2011)
2 NCAA tournament appearances (2009, 2011) [all first round exits]

Softball
342-269 (.560)
4 regular season conference championships (2008, 2009, 2010, 2012)
3 conference tournament championships (2009, 2011, 2012)
3 NCAA tournament appearances (2009, 2011, 2012) [all first round exits]

Women's Tennis
No conference championships since 1989

Other than the 2005 football season, we haven't made it to the 2nd round in any NCAA tournament in Larry Teis's 13.5 years as our AD.

In regard to the comment about our facilities:

There has been a facilities boom in NCAA athletics in the past 20-25 years in almost every sport at almost every school...even schools that are not growing in enrollment in cities that aren't growing in population.

I would almost argue that we haven't even kept pace with what would be expected by a school growing as much as we have in a city that is growing as much and as fast as San Marcos has in an area between two metropolitan areas that have added over a million people.

Since this post in November of 2016, our records are:
Football - 75-94 (.444) no additional championships
Volleyball - 282-173 (.620) no additional championships
Soccer - 139-113-17 (.517) no additional championships
Men's Basketball - 178-249 (.417) no additional championships
Women’s Basketball - 209-212 (.496) no additional championships
Baseball - 453-367-2 (.551) no additional championships
Softball - 433-304 (.588) Regular season and Tournament Champs 2018

These are not winning percentages or results of a successful athletic program. It all starts at the top (Larry Teis). He is the one that makes hiring/firing decisions and the one that is supposed to hold coaches accountable for their on field results.

However, the on field results are not the only aspect of his job.

Lets start with media relations. I think this article should give you some good perspective into Larry Teis’s mind and why he is not qualified to still be our AD.
https://www.underdogdynasty.com/2015/12/10/9882748/a-vote-of-no-confidence-in-texas-state-athletics-director-larry-teis
I’m not going to pull excerpts from it and post here, but if you haven’t seen this article, it sums up a lot of what is wrong with LT.

Here’s another link for you to check out. This one highlights a lot of the issues we fans have with LT.
https://www.gofundme.com/catsforchange

A few important excerpts:
“Dr. Teis commonly cites growth in donor activity as a metric of success. The turnover/loss rate of the Bobcat Club donors is approximately 30% annually versus the more common 10% observed in equivalent organizations at other universities. People being brought into the donor fold are finding themselves unwelcomed & unappreciated. It means the athletic department is directly undermining efforts to bring alumni into the fold--they are leaving money and perhaps more importantly, donor energy on the table.”

“Dr. Teis does a poor job of assessing coaching talent and holding coaches accountable. Examples include:
a) Coach Nutt was maintained as a coach to the point that the team was listed as a Bottom 10 Mens Basketball Program. He was given a contract extension due to having a single winning season. It turned out to be his only winning season, and only one other season reached 0.500. Retention and graduation rates plummeted with no action from Dr. Teis.
b) Coach Davalos was maintained as a coach and even received an extension despite the fact that he only achieved a 0.500 record one season, with all other seasons reflecting losing records. After his departure, he now coaches high school women’s basketball.
c) Coach Wright was fired after being granted a 3-year contract extension only months before, demonstrating Dr. Teis’ poor assessment of the coaching situation at that time. In 2007 he lost to Division II Abilene Christian University. After his departure, he now coaches high school football.
d) Coach Franchione received a 5-year contract extension when the results achieved were a 4-8 record followed by a 6-6 record. During Coach Franchione’s five years, the football team has achieved only one victory over a team with a winning record at the end of the season (2014 Arkansas State University). His overall record is now 39-43 and conference record 17-24 (in what is widely regarded as one of the weakest conferences in FBS). For comparison, Coach Wright was let go after going 23-23 over four seasons. We understand building a sustainable, successful FBS program takes time, but the length of the extension was completely inappropriate.”
This one doesn't include his current hiring of Withers, which is beginning to fall into the same pattern as the ones mentioned here.

“Virtually all sports have stagnated at or regressed to mediocre or worse levels.” See above for the records since LT has been here.

“The athletic department appears to get poor value out of its budget despite being larger than many other athletic programs with FBS football. We see far more aggressive marketing, visibility and, heck, even uniform combinations from schools with budgets that are ¾ the size of the Texas State athletic budget.”

Back to the donor point made on the GoFundMe page.
https://txstatebobcatclub.com/sports/2016/6/7/2017-membership-guide.aspx
See page 16-17 of the 2018 membership guide. We are way behind our peer competitors in terms of both donors and funds raised. This is probably where LT’s biggest failure lies. His lack of fan and donor engagement is absolutely embarrassing. It gets even worse when you look at the number of living alumni to donor ratio. This is a direct reflection of LT’s incompetence.

Finally, I’ll wrap it up with a few thoughts that can’t necessarily be backed up with statistical data to prove how inept LT is.

First, his handling of moving from FCS to FBS. He has apparently publicly stated that he was against the move from the get go.
Found this from 2007 when we first announced the move to FBS. Looks like there was concern about LT dating all the way back to then too.

This quote is from November 26th, 2007 for frame of reference
tux wrote:
Thanks, sounds like great news! BUT, does anyone here believe Larry Teis is the right man to "do it right"? I don't mean to criticize, but as an AD he just hasn't impressed me very much of late. Am I mistaken?

Texas State is his first AD job. He was originally hired when we were a low visibility FCS school and there wasn't any concern with athletic performance. Only compliance. He has never been qualified to run an FBS program and that’s understandable since he was never hired to run one.

So to sum it all up, he is unqualified to be running our athletic program and that is evidenced by the statistical data from on the field results and donor numbers, and the anecdotal evidence from the way he has conducted himself during his time here.

Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:47 pm
SuperCat

TheRevSWT wrote:
Oh! Now it makes sense.

Hi Larry!

:D Hah.

As with any athletic departmentb football is supposed to be your money maker and priority. Our baseball team is garbage and needs a new coach. Basketball has promise but still stagnant. Everything else? lagniappe.

Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:48 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Reading this thread name has me rolling on the floor laughing uncontrollably. :lol:

Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:28 pm
Junior Bobcat

I just threw up in my mouth.

Are you for real?

Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:49 pm
Bobcat Wannabe

Thank you TXSTRiverBobcat for compiling and summarizing the results regarding LT's tenure. The cold, hard, facts tell the story...No rhetoric, no sensationalism, just the reality of the results.

Your points regarding lack of engagement with donors/fans is dead nuts accurate as well. I am quite certain that most folks that post on BobcatFans can share stories of obliviousness and aloofness from LT that are mind boggling. Lord knows I can.

It's like a bad dream that we can't wake up from.

Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:52 pm
SuperCat

wouldn't-it-be-nice wrote:
Thank you TXSTRiverBobcat for compiling and summarizing the results regarding LT's tenure. The cold, hard, facts tell the story...No rhetoric, no sensationalism, just the reality of the results.

Cold hard facts? The coldest, hardest fact is that Texas State has had back to back to back to back years where they've had the second best athletic department in the conference.

It sounds like the biggest whining you guys have against Teis is that he doesn't kiss your ass and make your $20 annual donation seem like it's a program saver. You guys are crying because he allegedly doesn't have social skills. Would you rather have a charismatic ass-kissing AD whose athletic department finishes in the cellar of the conference every year or a guy who isn't easy to like whose athletic department finishes near the top of the conference every year?

Four years is a good measure of success or failure for an AD. The most recent stretch of results, like how coaches are also judged, are the most relevant and important. Since moving to the Sun Belt, Teis' athletic department has been the second best in the conference.

Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:38 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Yes, you have hit the nail on the head, Larry.

Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:51 am
SuperCat

Our athletics are so good, we've won 3 (?) conference championships the last 3 years.

Quote:
run faster

Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:59 am
SuperCat

run faster wrote:

Cold hard facts? The coldest, hardest fact is that Texas State has had back to back to back to back years where they've had the second best athletic department in the conference.

It sounds like the biggest whining you guys have against Teis is that he doesn't kiss your ass and make your $20 annual donation seem like it's a program saver. You guys are crying because he allegedly doesn't have social skills. Would you rather have a charismatic ass-kissing AD whose athletic department finishes in the cellar of the conference every year or a guy who isn't easy to like whose athletic department finishes near the top of the conference every year?

Four years is a good measure of success or failure for an AD. The most recent stretch of results, like how coaches are also judged, are the most relevant and important. Since moving to the Sun Belt, Teis' athletic department has been the second best in the conference.

The fact of the matter is that Teis hasn't made 1 single quality coaching hire since he's been here. All while keeping several coaches on staff long after they should have been fired, allowing every single sport he oversees to have well below average winning percentages over his time as AD.

Donor numbers are down, donor funds are down, revenue is down, season tickets for all sports are down, marketing has always been embarrassing, budget management has always been terrible, donor and fan relations has always been terrible, I could go on and on and on.

But hey, if you want to hang your hat on the fact that we have finished in the top half of the conference in enough non-revenue generating sports over the past 4 years to rank ourselves second in the shit belt’s arbitrary cup standings (never winning it mind you), then be my guess. You can continue living in your own little world not based in reality.

The rest of us realize where the problem lies and are sick and tired of seeing our Athletics program embarrass itself and us repeatedly. Especially in the revenue generating sports of Football, basketball, and baseball.

Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:13 am
True Bobcat Fan

run faster wrote:

Would you rather have a charismatic ass-kissing AD whose athletic department finishes in the cellar of the conference every year or a guy who isn't easy to like whose athletic department finishes near the top of the conference every year?

For $325,000 per year, you shouldn't have to decide between the two. This is a false dilemma fallacy.

Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:17 am
True Bobcat Fan

Football, if anything, is what generates revenue for the university. I'm all smiles for how LT has performed with regard to other sports, but, in my opinion, he needs to start getting results with football or the rest is less relevant.

Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:46 am
True Bobcat Fan

chockyy wrote:
I'm all smiles for how LT has performed with regard to other sports

really? last 4 years:

baseball 114-118-2 2 losing seasons
softball 140-90 1 losing season, 1 conf title, 3 ncaa tournaments
m basketball 66-65 3 losing seasons
w basketball 68-59 2 losing seasons
soccer 39-28 1 losing season
volleyball 87-47

24 seasons between those 6 sports:
9 of them losing more games than we won
1 conference title
3 ncaa tournaments

softball and volleyball (and track/field) are the only programs doing well enough to be considered successful by any measure.

*didn't include the other sports because they aren't true team sports measured in the same way, but tennis had 3 losing seasons, men's golf's highest finish was 5th in conf and women's golf won the conf 1 time. not exactly inspiring on that front.

Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:27 am