Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 683 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 42, 43, 44, 45, 46
 Recruiting 2019: offers, commits/decommits, transfers 
Bobcat Wannabe

Post Re: Recruiting 2019: offers, commits/decommits, transfers
Saul Goodman wrote:
Texas State focuses on offense with early signings

Texas State concentrated on offense on the first day of the early signing period, with seven of the 10 players it signed Wednesday coming from that side of the ball.

That included two quarterbacks in Gresch Jensen, a junior college transfer from California, and Nebraska high schooler Cedric Case.

Jensen started 10 games for new Bobcats offensive coordinator Bob Stitt at Montana in 2017. He’ll have two years left of eligibility; he threw for 2,531 yards, 20 touchdowns and 10 interceptions at Montana that one season and had 2,330 yards, 16 touchdowns and five interceptions at Fullerton College this season. He will enroll early.

Case decommitted from North Dakota after taking an official visit to Texas State last weekend.

“I wanted to come play for coach Stitt and (head coach) Jake Spavital,” Case said. “I think the offense we’ll be running is a lot of fun, and we’re going to able to score a lot of points. Coach Stitt has proven over and over again what a great play-caller he is, and to get the opportunity to be one of the (quarterbacks) coach Spavital will develop was something I couldn’t pass up.”

Case completed 73 percent of his passes — a Nebraska high school record — for 2,782 yards and 25 touchdowns his senior year. For his career, he completed 70 percent of his passes for 8,020 yards and 81 touchdowns.

The Bobcats signed five recruits that had been committed under the previous staff: Baytown Sterling running back Calvin Hill, La Porte defensive tackle Devin Henderson, Belton linebacker Devin Martinez, Smithson Valley tackle Ronald Copney III and Lewisville safety Kevin Anderson.

“After (former defensive line coach Issac Mooring) left, I was indecisive,” Henderson said. “But after I met the new coaches and talked to all of them, I really felt like they can change the program around, and I still felt that family vibe.”

The Bobcats got three late additions that committed after visits over the weekend: Gunter receiver Dylan Jantz, Prague offensive tackle Dalton Cooper and JUCO guard Eddie Rivas.

“I want to go somewhere where I am wanted. And I felt that there,” Jantz said. “The entire coaching staff showed it. It was an amazing feeling. With the coaching change, I believe that we will turn this program into something special and something that Texas State fans haven’t seen in a very long time. ... I didn’t just like Texas State; I fell in love with it. Everything about it was perfect to me, and I can’t wait to get down there.”

https://www.statesman.com/sports/201812 ... y-signings

Good post. Jensen was a nice pickup because it sets a pretty high floor on QB play, but he could be pushed for the starting job. A transfer from Kentucky was starting ahead of Jensen at MT until he got hurt. Jensen was good for a RS frosh, but his passes weren't quite as accurate as the senior's. I'm sure Jensen has developed since then.

The QB must run the offense the way Stitt wants. Two pretty good QB's at MT who didn't run the offense were switched to H-back. A sort of low-profile QB already on the roster when Stitt arrived was the starter for 2 years, and the kid got an invite to the NFLPA Collegiate Bowl even though he wasn't highly lauded coming out of high school and prob wouldn't have started under the previous regime. Stitt's offense made that kid better, but it's obviously not for everyone. Vitt is a really good QB. If he picks up the offense I think he can beat out Jensen. I'm sure Spav will insist on the best QB playing. If I were Vitt I'd be excited, because this offense will get a QB noticed!

Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:48 pm
Bobcat Wannabe

Bobkat34 wrote:
Lets put this early recruiting class into perspective guys...

Bryson McKinney the 3* QB that was committed to us signed with Texas Southern.... This at minimum tells you that the type of player we recruit at certain positions will change. Heck both signed QBs aren't known as "dual threat QBs" but both can run enough.

Now... lets go with our history of signing highly rated recruits:
https://247sports.com/college/texas-state/Season/2019-Football/Commits/

Out of the 9 top signed recruits, our most successful to date is #6 Bellard, 3 were busts (Kwame Brown, Martel Summers quit and Jamel James I believe was an academic reason) and
there is Brice Gunter and Roosevelt Pearson and then incompletes to this point for Roach and Jaylin Nelson, who both have been on field but have not yet become starters or regulars. Not a great list of high rated recruits making impacts.

Now back to our commits:

If you were to tell me that by the early signing period, we'd have a highly likely starting QB WITH experience in the new offensive system due to playing for Bob Stitt and a future QB that threw some ridiculous stats in HS, I don't know about you but I'm super happy because going into a new system with a running QB that can throw a deep ball and another QB coming off some multiple INT games... that doesn't sound great no matter how good an offensive GURU either Stitt or Jake are.

Next, you add a JC guard to come and help our up and down run game, two possible book ends at OT, a speedy RB and speedy WR, with a solid DT, likely need to some OLB, and another good Safety to add to list... I'd say we did damn good.

This now allows HC/OC/DC to find the wholes to fill for their offense (if we run some sort of West Coast O through spread O - do we need H-backs, more TEs???) and defense we know he "prefers 3 man fronts" (but will he like to have 2-3 Rush Ends on 3rd downs and 10+ yards or plan to move some of our DEs/OLBs to this position???). Once they decide and HC hires the rest of the coaching staff (I'd say by early January), they will turn back to the month of January to bring in those needs. Would I expect any of the decommits to return? Maybe a few but I do mean a few that may fit.

Lastly, our best signing is the 2* Gresch Jenson by far due to experience alone!

We know we need to improve OL and I wouldn't be surprised to see us go get at least one more JC OL (OT) and maybe still look to find a JC DE/DT that can make an impact.

Don't think he doesn't know A&M is on the schedule and he's going to want to scare them in any way he can and I LOVE IT!

Whoops - I meant to reply to this post. Ah well...

Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:50 pm
Bobcat Wannabe

Coach Spavital on the new QB's coming in: We have a heavy driven offense that puts a lot of demand on the quarterback position and adding these two will help fill the room with more healthy competition." Quote is from the school web page but having trouble linking.

There were already talented QB's on this roster, but having Jensen here to initially run the offense in camp will benefit the entire team because the whole offense will start clicking more quickly. The other QB's will benefit by watching him. By fall, a QB who was already on the roster may be in position to start, unless Jensen proves to be the best. It's going to be a fun spring and fall!

Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:29 pm
True Bobcat Fan

LA...

I do think Vitt still has the best opportunity with the new coaching staff while Jones/Gipson will need to show a lot more with their arm to play and I'm not holding my breath on that one. I still think Jensen will be hard to beat just from knowing Stitt and what he demands from a QB plus he'll likely remember much of his terminology. Case will come in and have a learning curve like Vitt, Jones, Gipson will.

Best case scenario: Jensen starts for 2 years and leads us to 2 winning seasons while Case/Vitt redshirt and either Jones/Gipson back up for next 2 years. Case/Vitt and other QBs in following years take over in 2 years after being in system for those 2 same years.

Worst case scenario: Jensen doesn't pan out and we go with another QB middle of season that is still learning offensive system and at this time unsure if that would be Vitt, Jones, Gipson, or Case. My guess would be Vitt or Case.

Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:02 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Bobkat34 wrote:

Best case scenario: Jensen starts for 2 years and leads us to 2 winning seasons while Case/Vitt redshirt and either Jones/Gipson back up for next 2 years. Case/Vitt and other QBs in following years take over in 2 years after being in system for those 2 same years.

Worst case scenario: Jensen doesn't pan out and we go with another QB middle of season that is still learning offensive system and at this time unsure if that would be Vitt, Jones, Gipson, or Case. My guess would be Vitt or Case.

I'd venture to say that Jensen will be the day one starter, Case will be redshirted, and Vitt/Gipson will back up. WJII will switch to WR or transfer.

Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:04 am
True Bobcat Fan

Looks like a guy we were possibly looking at as a PWO just signed with UTSA. Chaez Spurlock out of Whitehouse. He was very active with Texas State's twitter for a while, but I couldn't find a tweet from him about receiving any kind of offer from us. He did have an official visit though.

Wed May 15, 2019 3:01 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Bobcat.taxman wrote:

I'd venture to say that Jensen will be the day one starter, Case will be redshirted, and Vitt/Gipson will back up. WJII will switch to WR or transfer.

Dang, I was spot on with all four of these insights. :shock: :lol: :lol:

Thu May 16, 2019 9:16 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

JustinS09 wrote:
Looks like a guy we were possibly looking at as a PWO just signed with UTSA. Chaez Spurlock out of Whitehouse. He was very active with Texas State's twitter for a while, but I couldn't find a tweet from him about receiving any kind of offer from us. He did have an official visit though.

As a PWO, he'd have a better chance of earning a scholarship earlier at UTSA. He's gotta do what's best for him. We are pretty deep at CB/DB at the moment.

Thu May 16, 2019 9:18 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 683 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 42, 43, 44, 45, 46