Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Offseason workouts and Spring Camp 
True Bobcat Fan

Post Re: Offseason workouts and Spring Camp
Pieeaters wrote:
According to what I’ve seen and am told, the following is what I am anticipating on Saturday;

QB- WJIII
RB- Nelson/Taylor
TE- Rushing
RT- Rowland
RG- Washington
C- Jordan
LG- Heitmeier
LT- Brewer
WR- Watts/White/Haydel/Bedford

DT- Pierce
NT- Awad (Taylor moved to NT, isinjured and may not play)
DE- Smith/Hines (Patton is injured and may not play)
ILB- London & Daniels
OLB- Vinson & Griffin
CB- Rodgers & Taylor
S- Krawczyk & Newman

Much of the defense is based on what I’m told. Patton and Taylor would start if they weren’t injured. May play, remains to be seen. Brannon will get a lot of snaps. Receivers and running backs will alternate fairly regularly. I’m not sure if the starters are set outside of Watts. Smith and Hines could alternate plays at DE.

Best guess. We’ll see come Saturday! :eatemup:

Thanks Pieeaters! Good info.

I'm not going to hold these spring positions as guaranteed spots as I've seen Anyama/Graham play ILB in spring then move to OLB in August or Mittie at NT spring then by August at DT. Players change as new players come in and help provide depth. I'd be shocked if Taylor is still at NT by end of August at 6'4 (not using his size at DT or DE seems ridiculous) and same for Smith/Hines at DE at 220/230ish. Ugh!

I'll say this for the size of DL: Last year, we started Mittie 270, Awad 300, and Davis 270 and this coming season it could be Patton 285+, Awad 300, and I hope either Davis 270 or Taylor 280.

Great opportunity for Pierce at DT and PWO Onyirioha, Heitmeier (remember he is a PWO), and I'm wondering if Brewer may be our LT, if Pieeaters is correct that Foster's concussion issue is serious. Good opportunity for Washington, Nelson, Rodgers, Newman, and even Rowland at RT to see if Washington/Rowland can do well enough to provide depth.

Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:00 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Any one planning on making it to the Maroon-Gold Spring Game?
According to an email I received, Bobcat Club members can arrive at 2 p.m. for a pregame food and drink in the pavilion. Email states “ the action” is scheduled to begin at 3 p.m. :lol:

Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:13 am
True Bobcat Fan

I wish I could but no.

Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:30 am
SuperCat

So what happened to the radio stream?

Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:15 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Yeah is the game itself not on the radio? Just pregame only?

Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:27 pm
True Bobcat Fan

I’m at the game. Jones looks good. Hard to tell much else.

Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:57 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Anthony Smith injury looks serious?

Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:27 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Yeah, looked bad. Offense looks much better in drills and scenarios than open scrimmage. Somewhat expected because offense develops later but missed blocks and dropped balls aren’t great. Hard to tell much about the D but I don’t see any glaring weaknesses.

Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:00 pm
True Bobcat Fan

That's really shitty news for Smith. Let's hope it's not really as bad as it looked.

While we're pretty strong at RB we aren't particularly deep. not the best position for serious injuries.

Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:05 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Huge concern if Smith is out for season! He seemed to me one of two with possible break away speed (other is Brown). Down to 3 ship RBs, if he's out. Would truly suck.

Keff tweeted some things I'd like to discuss:

#TXST spring 1st unit offense
QB: Willie Jones III
RB: Robert Brown (Jaylin Nelson, Anthony D. Taylor)
WR: Jeremiah Haydel, Hutch White, Tyler Watts
TE: Brendon Rushing
LT: Aaron Brewer
LG: Tate Heitmeier
C: Reece Jordan
RG: Josiah Washington
RT: Jacob Rowland

Not much is new from Pieeaters post yesterday. I do like seeing Brown as possibly the main RB due to his break away speed but Taylor is the more physical of the two. WR trio not surprising and good to see Rushing listed at starter. At very minimum, it makes you hopeful he can have a good season there.

#TXST has been running a 4-2-5 defense today.
1st unit
DE: Hal Vinson, Kumonde Hines
DT: Sami Awad, Jaquel Pierce
LB: Bryan London II, Frankie Griffin
CB: Kordell Rodgers, Dennis
Johnson
S: A.J Krawczyk, Jalen Smith
Nickel(?): Josh Newman

As much as I appreciate Keff's info, I'm not so sure he's always accurate on which scheme we are in. Personally, I like the idea of using our OLBs at times as DEs especially on 3rd and long... last season we were not good enough rushing 3 on 3rd and long. Maybe this is a new wrinkle. If he is true on 4-2-5 scheme, this would seem to be similar to how Coach Thompson used a hybrid 3-4D that at times looked like a 4-2-5. The other answer is with Patton and Taylor out, we really didn't have enough DL to play a 3-4 so we played what we could (who was left? Awad, Pierce, PWO Onyirioha, Wilkins, Daniels, Lilly and DEs Smith/Hines). Same can be said with Dennis Johnson at CB with Waddy out (only PWOs Robinson and Pearce listed on roster). Depth seems still an issue in spring game.

Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:13 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Nick Castillo ‏@Nick_Castillo74
6h6 hours ago
Defense has been mainly been playing in a 4-2-5 today.

Confirmed it was a 4-2-5.

Again, thinking we'll be playing around with a hybrid 34D that can scheme as a 4-2-5. In 34, can drop a OLB down to DL (Vinson) to look 4-2-5, then either Vinson is now a DE or can still drop while we blitz/pressure from another position. I would think in a 4-2-5, Griffin moves to a Safety position and London/Daniels play your Mike and Will LB. May be the reason Brannon stays at OLB and we may be deep enough at Mike/Will without Brannon (Lewis/Graham may make more sense to back up in this scheme).

Considering we will have so many undersized DEs after Davis (270) in Hines 235 (if he stays here), Smith (hoping he's at least 225 by now), Calvin 230, Schaefer 235, and Lynch 225. This could also answer why DC said they'd move Patton around on DL to use his athleticism (as DT and NT in both formations) and likes Pierce at DT and Pieeaters noting Taylor was playing some NT (in a 4-2-5, playing DT or NT isn't far from similar). I think the scheme may fit our players better.

Should be fun to see how Woods manages his personnel.

Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:24 pm
SuperCat

So how did Jones look?

Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:31 pm
Bobcat Wannabe

x wrote:
That's really shitty news for Smith. Let's hope it's not really as bad as it looked.

While we're pretty strong at RB we aren't particularly deep. not the best position for serious injuries.

Reports I’ve heard, it’s a torn MCL and having an MRI today for the ACL. Bummer.

Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:33 pm
Bobcat Wannabe

BobcatCowboy wrote:
So how did Jones look?

Tough day passing. Several drops though. I thought he made the wrong read several times on options. Not a real good day.

Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:39 pm
SuperCat

Did he at least look good running?

Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:18 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next