Offseason workouts and Spring Camp 
True Bobcat Fan

Post Offseason workouts and Spring Camp
I wish TXST would produce more stuff like the clip below of the 2016 off season workouts.

Texas State Football Off Season Workouts
https://vimeo.com/156210636

This is from a Vimeo page https://vimeo.com/txstfootball for Texas State Football. I don't know who did the clips (staff or a student), but there was nothing for 2017.

On the YouTube TXStateBobcats "Football" Channel there was only one clip I found using a quick look.

Texas State FB Head Coach Everett Withers - Spring Practice Preview
https://youtu.be/an9FWIJ1dZY

Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:01 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Post Re: Offseason workouts and Spring Camp
sad to see a lot of effort for content being made in Withers' first year only for it to die down.

Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:43 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Larry Teis wrote:
sad to see a lot of effort for content being made in Withers' first year only for it to die down.

Agreed. It's a missed opportunity for exposure.

Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:44 pm
Junior Bobcat

All of the content was produced by the old video and recruiting staff. Withers fired them after signing day to bring in his guys. Hasn’t been the same since

Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:10 pm
Bobcat Wannabe

This spring football session will be huge for the development of our roster. Here are my thoughts on where we stand at each position going into spring ball:

QB - Expecting WJIII to separate himself from the pack, but it will be important for the rest of the pack to show promise
RB - Likely one of our stronger groups going into next season. Hoping for Anthony Smith to develop into our feature back
WR - Should be a pretty solid group. Lost a good one in King. Need to something out of Bedford and would like for Twyford to establish himself as a key contributor. Haydel showed promise last year, wonder what kind of upside he has?
TE - Pretty weak. Plenty of upside, just not much production of yet
OT - Hopefully Foster can put on another 15 pounds and roll into the season at about 300 lbs. Need to develop depth and talent here. Really like the guys we recruited at tackle in this past class, but I do not expect them to push for playing time this season.
OG - Rowland should hold down the left side and I would like to see Washington win the right guard spot. Need more depth here and think we could really use a JUCO or grad transfer here.
C - Need the rest of the line to solidify so that Brewer can be the guy here

NT - Awad and Patton will anchor our line well next season
DT - Dean Taylor should be the guy here. We finally will have solid depth and competition on the D Line.
DE - Hopefully Ish will be back and Mittie can provide depth
OLB - Griffin, Vinson, Hines, Coleman & Harris will form an impressive group
ILB - London is going to lead our defense yet again. Not a whole lot behind him depth wise though. Could be another position to improve via JUCO or grad transfer
S - Hopefully we see some growth from the '17 group. Krawcyk held his own but can't be expected to be a game changer. The '18 guys may make a push for playing time IMO
CB - Probably our weakest spot. I would like to see guys step up at safety so Rodgers can slide out to corner. Waddy is solid, but his size is a liability. Really need to focus on adding defensive backs in the '19 class.

Who do you guys see being a breakout player this spring?

Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:22 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Interesting note on WJIII, as I thought the general consensus was that the redshirts were in a better position to take the lead, or possibly even Vitt starting as a true Frosh.

Not saying WJIII is a bad QB, but that other QB's were more pass oriented and further along in their development as passers than WJIII, which is why he wasn't redshirted. He was able to contribute in almost wildcat packages.

Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:34 am
True Bobcat Fan

Rev, just call me dumb, but to me that doesn't make sense.

Your QB2 has less development in passing than two you redshirt? Seems like it should be the other way around, no?

Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:50 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Just me talking (and I am by no means an expert, I think we can all agree), but to me it makes perfect sense.

WJIII is a pure athlete who is not a great thrower, so he can contribute immediately with his legs.

QB2 & QB3 are more proficient passers, have more solid mechanics, etc. But they don't know the offense as well, and aren't as adept at the reads. Redshirt them, let them pick up the offense, and then compete in the next season.

Now OBVIOUSLY, I am making a whole slew of assumptions on both abilities and knowledge of the offense.

And of course, to clarify, I am not speaking from a point of insider information. I am merely speaking of scenarios.

Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:21 am
True Bobcat Fan

TXSTBOOBCAT wrote:
This spring football session will be huge for the development of our roster. Here are my thoughts on where we stand at each position going into spring ball:

QB - Expecting WJIII to separate himself from the pack, but it will be important for the rest of the pack to show promise
RB - Likely one of our stronger groups going into next season. Hoping for Anthony Smith to develop into our feature back
WR - Should be a pretty solid group. Lost a good one in King. Need to something out of Bedford and would like for Twyford to establish himself as a key contributor. Haydel showed promise last year, wonder what kind of upside he has?
TE - Pretty weak. Plenty of upside, just not much production of yet
OT - Hopefully Foster can put on another 15 pounds and roll into the season at about 300 lbs. Need to develop depth and talent here. Really like the guys we recruited at tackle in this past class, but I do not expect them to push for playing time this season.
OG - Rowland should hold down the left side and I would like to see Washington win the right guard spot. Need more depth here and think we could really use a JUCO or grad transfer here.
C - Need the rest of the line to solidify so that Brewer can be the guy here

NT - Awad and Patton will anchor our line well next season
DT - Dean Taylor should be the guy here. We finally will have solid depth and competition on the D Line.
DE - Hopefully Ish will be back and Mittie can provide depth
OLB - Griffin, Vinson, Hines, Coleman & Harris will form an impressive group
ILB - London is going to lead our defense yet again. Not a whole lot behind him depth wise though. Could be another position to improve via JUCO or grad transfer
S - Hopefully we see some growth from the '17 group. Krawcyk held his own but can't be expected to be a game changer. The '18 guys may make a push for playing time IMO
CB - Probably our weakest spot. I would like to see guys step up at safety so Rodgers can slide out to corner. Waddy is solid, but his size is a liability. Really need to focus on adding defensive backs in the '19 class.

Who do you guys see being a breakout player this spring?

Boobcat...

I think you are on the right track. Rev is right about Jones not yet showing his arm but that may have been the coaches holding him back because they were not yet confident in his throwing by the amount of run attempts he had vs. passing attempts. I'm not sold on him being #1 guy by August. I think Gipson with Coach Elliott back may make some noise here and the last time I heard a coach talk about a freshmen QB like Vitt... it was Fran about Tyler Jones so don't count him out. Jones, Gipson and Kelley will get their chance this spring and by August Vitt will get his opportunity.

WR = Agree on Bedford, Twyford, and Haydel (not sure if he is an out wide WR or inside WR like Twyford).
TE- is a major concern for me. Just one with any significant reps and Rushing sparing minutes and 2 true freshmen. Yikes. I'd hope we would improved at this position if nothing else with a big physical blocking TE.
OT- Mateos tweeted about 3-4 weeks ago Foster played at 265 and is now at 285. Good sign.
I'm not holding my breath on Washington, Vatterot, or Lemons ever seeing much of the field. Withers noted we didn't have a good 2-deep this past season (even noted we were 7-8 deep on OL only) and those are the guys that would have been the backups. I'm expecting 3 of the 4 freshmen to be backups with Carlile and possibly King (redshirted OL last season).
OG- Here's to hoping Brewer and Rowland bring consistency to guard with Macadory/Momerelle providing depth (maybe Pierce too)
C- Need Jordan to solidify it. I still think we needed to add another here but if coaches confident with Brewer and a PWO like Fryrear... ok.

NT- may be the most deep spot now and likely why we didn't add another this class
DT- Mittie and Taylor have held this down well
DE- Davis is a major need back but I'm still concerned with backups (Lynch 225, Calvin 225, Schaefer 235) in a 3 DL scheme. Yikes. Hoping either Taylor moves back to DE or Wilkins at 6'2/250 last year (assuming he'll add another 10-15 lbs) could help depth wise.
OLB/ILB- I think your right on. Very surprised we didn't add 1 ILB but Graham has played some last spring there so he may be the 3rd guy at either position.
S- Right on.
CB- I think you are thinking Taylor at 5'8 while Waddy is 5'11. I really hope Rodgers and Roach can help improve position while incoming Morris can by a nickle DB.
K/P- should only improve but will be it be this year is the question.

Going into spring, I'd like to see players claim positions as their own. I'm not sure I expect any player to shock us. Continued/slow development is likely. I'd like to see Taylor compete for starting DT job vs. Mittie; I'd like to see Carlile make a run for a starting position on OL; I'd like to see Bedford show he learned a lot about route running his redshirt season; and of course I'd like to see a QB stand out. I don't care which of them because if not... Vitt has a good chance to come in and get reps year 1.

Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:01 pm
SuperCat

I think a WR a lot of y'all are sleeping on is Dennis Johnson. I noticed him last year and think he could be a big part this year. We shall see.

Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:00 pm
True Bobcat Fan

I like Johnson. He was a big bodied wide receiver that played physical. He was really slow and oftentimes got beat. If he can improve his speed, he may contribute a bit more.

Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:58 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Johnson has the size and if he can block well for running game, that alone is a positive. If he can improve this coming year, that is a plus.

Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:32 pm
True Bobcat Fan

https://twitter.com/TXSTATEFOOTBALL/status/970693449157566465

Not a bad lineup of Mack Brown, Jeff Foster and others.

Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:13 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Well, I am beginning to wonder if there will be a few more players "transfer" or retire from the game. I won't speculate but it just seems some juniors/seniors to be that are not playing may decide to transfer or call it a career.

Currently, this is the roster I'm guessing going into spring camp and with incoming freshmen on where they fit:

NOTE:Most I placed in order of last season (by who started and/or was backup/amount of reps we saw them get, then freshmen)

Offense:
QB-Jones, Gipson, Kelley, Vitt
RB-Taylor, Brown, Smith, Nelson
TE-Rogers, Rushing, Lanam, Callouett
WR-Haydel, Johnson, Aragon, Graham
WR-Watts, Twyford, Sheread
WR-Hays, White, Hopkins, Bedford
RT-Mizerak, Moore, King
RG-Rowland, Lemons, Vatterot, Macadory
C-Jordan, *Brewer
LG-*Brewer, Pierce, Carlile, Momerelle
LT-Foster, Cooks, Washington, Gambrell
K/P Ripley, Sherman, Kessler, Stewart

Defense:
OLB-Griffin, *Graham, Coleman, Harris
DT-Taylor, Lanza, Ezidore
NT-Patton, Awad, Daniels, Lilly
DE-Davis, Wilkins, Schaefer, Calvin, Lynch
OLB-Vinson, Hines, Smith
ILB-Daniels, Brannon, *Graham
ILB-London, Lewis
CB-Taylor, Rodgers, Morris
CB-Waddy, Roach, Pope
S-Newman, Anthony, Heard, Withers
FS-Krawcyzk, Dimery, Johnson

Let me know if you see anything that you think may change or I missed.

Last edited by Bobkat34 on Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:09 am
True Bobcat Fan

You missed ILB

Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:00 pm