Offseason workouts and Spring Camp 
True Bobcat Fan

Post Re: Offseason workouts and Spring Camp
I thought Jones looked like the best qb by far during drills. He was crisp and pretty accurate. The drills became more game like until the actual scrimmage. He did well in all of those but looked much worse when it was 11 on 11. Any pass rush rattled him and his accuracy was way off. Often checked down quickly or ran when there were better options. The good news is those things can often be fixed with experience. The bad news is that it is hard to get that experience before playing a p5 opponent. The other bad news is that having a solid line and running game to keep the DL from teeing off on him has been a struggle the last two years.

Its true for most QBs but I really feel that with his athleticism he can have a successful year if:

The OL and run game are working.
He protects the ball and doesn't force throws.
Continues to develop his vision of the field.
We get him out of the pocket with some RPO.

On a side note, I thought Gipson got better as the day went on. He tried to force too many tight passes over the middle but he handled his guys well during the scrimmage portion.

I loved the enthusiasm of our front 7 on defense but they don't look like D1 athletes. I expect a lot of teams to run straight at us to avoid our lateral speed and take advantage of size mismatches. Depth will also be a concern. The more patient play callers that don't go for the quick strike will do well against us in the 4th quarter.

Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:47 am
True Bobcat Fan

LT Spider wrote:
I loved the enthusiasm of our front 7 on defense but they don't look like D1 athletes. I expect a lot of teams to run straight at us to avoid our lateral speed and take advantage of size mismatches. Depth will also be a concern. The more patient play callers that don't go for the quick strike will do well against us in the 4th quarter.

We were missing 3 starters on the defensive line on Saturday (Davis 6'2" 260, Patton 6'2" 285, and Taylor 6'5" 280)...all three of those guys look like D1 athletes.

I think we actually pass the D1 athlete eye ball test better than we have in a long time. In addition to those 3 -- Pierce 6'2" 285, Awad 6'1" 300, Vinson 6'1" 240, London 6'2" 232, Graham 6'1" 225, Lewis 6'1" 225, and now even Hines at 6'3" 240 -- all look like legitimate D1 athletes.

We did have some young guys playing on Saturday who look pretty small but they can definitely put on weight in the next few years and turn into athletes (London Harris, Jakharious Smith, Nick Wilkins).

Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:39 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Seeing two more 280 pound guys out there probably would have changed my perception some. My comment was definitely more about the DL than LB. LB has been a relative strength lately.

Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:38 pm
True Bobcat Fan

LT Spider wrote:
I thought Jones looked like the best qb by far during drills. He was crisp and pretty accurate. The drills became more game like until the actual scrimmage. He did well in all of those but looked much worse when it was 11 on 11. Any pass rush rattled him and his accuracy was way off. Often checked down quickly or ran when there were better options. The good news is those things can often be fixed with experience. The bad news is that it is hard to get that experience before playing a p5 opponent. The other bad news is that having a solid line and running game to keep the DL from teeing off on him has been a struggle the last two years.

Its true for most QBs but I really feel that with his athleticism he can have a successful year if:

The OL and run game are working.
He protects the ball and doesn't force throws.
Continues to develop his vision of the field.
We get him out of the pocket with some RPO.

On a side note, I thought Gipson got better as the day went on. He tried to force too many tight passes over the middle but he handled his guys well during the scrimmage portion.

Sounds to me like Tyler Vitt will have an opportunity to earn the starting job. Withers spoke highly of him when he signed so I'd expect him to compete for playing time. This was Jones/Gipson opportunity to take position as their own... now add a 3rd for competition.

I think Vitt will be playing by mid-year. Whomever is able to read defense and take what defense gives him will earn the job.

Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:58 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Size wise... our 3 DL should be bigger than last season be it Patton 285+; Awad 300; Taylor 284; Davis 270 over Mittie 270; Awad; Patton; Taylor... Not by much but consider last season's backups were Taylor 284, Banks 250, Patton 280 and now our backups likely to be Pierce 285, Daniels 300+, Taylor 284.

We've gotten bigger. It may not always show but we should be stronger going into a 2-deep more so this season with many sophomores and redshirt freshmen coming along.

I don't think we are close to 3 deep at pretty much any position but there are close to 2 guys at every position that has experience.

Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:14 pm
True Bobcat Fan

I'm rewatching DC Woods comments on his defense and what he specifically said:

-He's a 34 guy but we are "probably doing things Vastly different than in years past"
-How they are calling some things and setting up the defense
-More on London's plate to get players lined up correctly

I think that tells us more about his plans: he's a 34 guy he will adjust things into say a 4-2-5 as previous Coach Thompson called his defense a hybrid 34. I think they may coach similar.

Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:28 pm
Bobcat Wannabe

I’m hearing reports about a “thinning of the herd” this week. Many players cut. Did Vattertot lose his scholly? What have you heard?

Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:54 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Pieeaters wrote:
I’m hearing reports about a “thinning of the herd” this week. Many players cut. Did Vattertot lose his scholly? What have you heard?

Seriously ? Many players cut?? ? With our lack of depth . . .

Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:20 pm
Bobcat Wannabe

Bobcat87 wrote:
Pieeaters wrote:

Seriously ? Many players cut?? ? With our lack of depth . . .

Yes, primarily walk-ons and maybe some scholarship players that don’t figure in on the “two deep”. After all, there are limits to the roster size and the number of scholarship players on roster and amongst the total. It appears that we may be balancing the roster so we can continue to offer the maximum number of incoming players, scholarship and PWO, and make room for contributing players we need to put on scholarship. Hutch White is an example. If he was offered a scholarship prior to being on campus for two years, according to NCAA rules, he would count against the incoming class. Thus limiting the number of offers we’d have for incoming players. But, if the offer is made after two years, he counts against the total of 85 and not the incoming class. So, how do we continue to offer recruits, either scholarship or PWO, and keep the total roster within limits? Cut the players that don’t fit. Now that HCEW has had two years of evaluation, decisions are being made about players on campus. Evidently there are guys on the roster that don’t figure in to our plans and they are being cut.

Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:04 am
True Bobcat Fan

Sheesh. Hats off to the players that get let go for the work they put in.

Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:11 am
Junior Bobcat

txstlinds wrote:

There's a right way to do things and a wrong way. Texas State football is currently doing it the wrong way. You don't have to talk to too many high school and JUCO head coaches in Texas over the last two years to hear that repeated many times.

Coaches in the state have barred the program from visiting because of it, have tried getting their athletes to not go to TX State because of it, and coaches have even refused job opportunities at TX State because of it.

Luckily, Texas is a huge state with a ton of talent which allows those things not to be major impediments to a chance at success.

Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:33 am
True Bobcat Fan

run faster wrote:
Coaches in the state have barred the program from visiting because of it

name them.

Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:36 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Run, are you saying the cuts over the last 2 years have been unwarranted?

Whats the right way as opposed to the wrong way?

Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:02 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

run faster wrote:
txstlinds wrote:

There's a right way to do things and a wrong way. Texas State football is currently doing it the wrong way. You don't have to talk to too many high school and JUCO head coaches in Texas over the last two years to hear that repeated many times.

Coaches in the state have barred the program from visiting because of it, have tried getting their athletes to not go to TX State because of it, and coaches have even refused job opportunities at TX State because of it.

Luckily, Texas is a huge state with a ton of talent which allows those things not to be major impediments to a chance at success.

Heard a lot of the same things over the past two seasons. It's almost as if there was a history of recruiting being an issue somewhere in Virginia a few years back? :? :?

Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:51 pm
True Bobcat Fan

I remember when Fran did the same thing. Told guys that they weren't part of the plan or two-deep going forward and they could leave or stay if they wanted.

Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:15 pm