Chris Woods - OU coach transfer? Is this a re-post? 
Bobcat Wannabe

Post Re: Chris Woods - OU coach transfer? Is this a re-post?
TheRevSWT wrote:
run faster wrote:
Mayes is here to be a recruiter? Fine. In that case, why the hell would he be hired as an OL coach? Those great recruiters are put at RB/TE and possibly OLB or a defensive back position, not OL! It was a bad hire at that position which is why he was switched. That is on Withers.

I'm asking here...

But given the G5 schools overall (and us in particular) seem to have a problem recruiting decent OL kids, and especially with how bad it was when Withers showed up... Wouldn't it be wise to put our best recruiter as coach over that position?

Or am I just looking at this TOTALLY wrong, which is entirely possible.

I get that even though he's an OL coach, they recruit in regions... But I would think it might add a bit of extra "oomph" if that good recruiter is also coaching that position.

That may lead to a bit better recruiting at that position, but then what happens when they get on campus and can't be coached properly? That was the experiment last year, and it didn't work out, hence the demotion to TE coach.

Positions that don't require as much technique/coaching due to the nature of the position and/or only having to worry about one or two of your guys on the field (RBs, TEs, corners, safeties, OLBs) tend to be where you hide weaker/inexperienced coaches and where you put the better recruiters.

As an OL coach, you have five guys out there every play who need to know their technique, what they are doing, their checks, etc. That is a huge responsibility to put on a young coach. That's why it is dumbfounding that Withers has hired back-to-back coaches to fill that position with guys who haven't had their own position before.

Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:30 pm
True Bobcat Fan

official now: Woods Named Defensive Coordinator at Texas State

Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:30 am
True Bobcat Fan

Bobkat34 wrote:
Parker Fleming to The Ohio State is the rumor:
https://twitter.com/Keff_C/status/968259913829920768

Brett Elliott returning to TXST as QB Coach:
https://twitter.com/Keff_C/status/968263940848345088

I like Elliott as a QB coach but not so much as a OC. I'm sure he'll be Co-OC but I like Kuhr making the calls.

Could this benefit the QBs he recruited in Jones, Kelly, and Gipson? It can't hurt. Add Vitt to table. Elliott has talent to work with.

too bad he didn't come back before nsd and sure up the commitment he had in stacy conner :x
if there is one thing about elliott is that he was part of the offense that won a game against a winning team for the first and only time since november 2014. so there is that- we just never saw anything else from him the rest of the season after ohio

Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:37 am
True Bobcat Fan

Stacy went 3-7 at Wylie in his senior season and made just about 50% of his passes. Not sure if he’d be too good of a player

Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:43 am
True Bobcat Fan

Phratcatbocoloco wrote:
Bobkat34 wrote:
Parker Fleming to The Ohio State is the rumor:
https://twitter.com/Keff_C/status/968259913829920768

Brett Elliott returning to TXST as QB Coach:
https://twitter.com/Keff_C/status/968263940848345088

I like Elliott as a QB coach but not so much as a OC. I'm sure he'll be Co-OC but I like Kuhr making the calls.

Could this benefit the QBs he recruited in Jones, Kelly, and Gipson? It can't hurt. Add Vitt to table. Elliott has talent to work with.

too bad he didn't come back before nsd and sure up the commitment he had in stacy conner :x
if there is one thing about elliott is that he was part of the offense that won a game against a winning team for the first and only time since november 2014. so there is that- we just never saw anything else from him the rest of the season after ohio

Phrat... I'll give you the Ohio game W but lets not say Elliott won that game. Ohio had 5 turnovers... gotta give our D a big/huge part of that W. Elliott did call up that last play or so we think he did to score our last TD in OT but again the defense clinched the game.

Elliott ran a fast/quick offense when we weren't good at, which exposed our small sized defense even worse. Either Eilliott couldn't stand up to Withers about slowing the Offense down (snapping every 10 seconds) or he didn't know any better and either are concerns for an OC. Kuhr came in and WITH a Grad Transfer he slowly ran the offense to manage the game because we needed to. How come a new OC comes in and is able to realize this before season (one answer is watching tape of the quick 3 and out ALL last season)?

Again, I like Elliott at QB coach but that is about it. I do hope he can help his 3 QBs get better and Vitt as well.

Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:27 am
SuperCat

I think comparing Elliott's offense to Fleming/Kuhr's is impossible. Elliott gets a first year transition under a new HC and a talented QB that's lazy and surrounded by the smallest amount of talent. Elliott's offense just barely puts up more PPG compared to Fleming/Kuhr. Team is now in year two in working with Fleming and Kuhr is added. The Oline is marginally better than the previous year, defense is better, and the RBs are significantly better. But these guys are stuck with a less talented fumble prone QB. What are you left to do? Run the ball, don't take risks, manage the clock. That's pretty much exactly what we saw. In the end, both Elliott and Fleming/Kuhr had terrible offenses by the end of the season and both teams only won two games. If Jones is the QB going forward (which i hope until he shows me otherwise), i'll take an Elliott offense.

Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:20 pm
True Bobcat Fan

https://twitter.com/everett_withers/status/938073418024542208

Stats did improve on offense. I'll give you its the second year but if you are trying to tell me you were ok with the first season going so fast and less than a clock 1 minute 3 and out series, I gotta say... bless your heart. I never understood this mentality. We had 3 senior OL that weren't performing well and a true freshmen guard (Brewer) and Mizerak. Yes, that OL was expected to go faster and didn't rush well. Yes, that was the first year and nothing changed.

The second year an OC decides to manage the clock and put guys in best position to succeed. What a novel concept instead of going fast to... just go fast. In the end, it kept us in games like vs. Colorado, App. State, and a few others instead of being down by 3 TDs by 2nd quarter.

I do agree it is difficult to compare but there is no way I'd go back to Elliott's Offense with less of a running game and putting the QB in positions to not be successful (no roll outs yet we saw them in year 2 with Kuhr). I see that Kuhr put players positions to have a chance while I didn't feel Elliott did that as well. I like Elliott back as I noted but not a OC. I'm sure he'll have some say in the offensive scheme but I like that Kuhr is our OC and has final decision making.

Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:20 pm
SuperCat

For the problems Elliott had i put a little blame on Jones. Elliott came into a sr QB that showed he could run and throw well and he ended up just half assing it that season.

I want a mix of what we saw last two season. Spread it when we need to and run it effectively. Fleming and kuhr were snake bit by having atrocious QB play last year and couldn't throw as much as I'm sure they wanted. Fleming and kuhr were too plain for me and Elliott too stubborn.

Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:30 pm
True Bobcat Fan

I agree with Kuhr/Fleming were too plain based on what they had to work with no doubt but the O with Jones was too one dimensional due to a really bad run game. Last year, run game improved but limited ability at QB (Williams AND Jones) to throw the ball.

I'd hope for better this coming season but we will be returning Jones, who they didn't have confidence throwing much, to go with Gipson and Kelley (redshirts) and Vitt come summer. Unless a QB truly separates themselves this spring, I think Vitt will have an opportunity to play his first season.

I wouldn't mind a mix but as noted above by you and me, gotta have a QB capable of throwing and running well. We'll definitely know more by end of spring which can do both well enough.

Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:47 pm