College football attendance down 
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Post Re: College football attendance down
And now I hijack this thread...

How is Strahan coming along? Are they nearing completion?

Also, how is the Aquarena Springs overpass looking?

Sorry, but that got me curious.

Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:27 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Both are incomplete . . . . but coming along.

I don't know when construction is scheduled for completion, if anyone has those ''tis bits and would like to pass it along, I thank you in advance . .

Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:18 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Saul Goodman wrote:
we've been the 4th or 5th biggest since 91, at least. relative size is irrelevant. i'd rather put the brakes on enrollment and focus on quality for a while.

I thought it would be of some significance to note that it looks like we are no longer classified as a regional university, but now a 'national' university which means I think we must have started more PHD programs and as you've noted in recent posts our research has increased exponentially in recent years. Though still categorized as 'tier2'... how long do yall think until we can claim tier1 status like those jerks at UofH?

Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:44 am
True Bobcat Fan

i'd rather be the #1 regional than in the #231-300 block nationally. either way, i don't think it matters at all, given where we live. unless you're top 100 nationally, no one really cares.

as for where we are on t1, someone's threads in chataqua are great at keeping up on those:
viewtopic.php?f=29&t=26352
viewtopic.php?f=29&t=23351

Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:48 am
True Bobcat Fan

What I've understood is that the Carnegie tiers are driven purely by research alone. Is that true? If so that's not necessarily a comprehensive indicator of the level of academia at a given university, is it? What's a better source of where a school stands academically other than us all being biased because we drank the same kool aid for 3-6 years?

Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:29 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

TheRevSWT wrote:

Strahan finishes toward the end of the summer. I've asked the PM if I can see the indoor wall removal (since I work in a similar role at another public sector employer). Overpass I think wraps up around the same time.

I respectfully disagree with time on the internet being "wasted." I would've never known that a monkey would fall over after smelling his own, stinky finger if it wasn't for the glory of the internet.

Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:38 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

bleed gold wrote:
TheRevSWT wrote:

Strahan finishes toward the end of the summer. I've asked the PM if I can see the indoor wall removal (since I work in a similar role at another public sector employer). Overpass I think wraps up around the same time.

I would also like to see the wall removal portion. I think it would be cool to see the "curtain" come down to expose the new seating and building behind it.

Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:43 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

From what he described, they may do something splashy as far as public relations when the wall comes down. I suggested they do a video of it.

I respectfully disagree with time on the internet being "wasted." I would've never known that a monkey would fall over after smelling his own, stinky finger if it wasn't for the glory of the internet.

Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:52 pm
True Bobcat Fan

bleed gold wrote:
I suggested they do a video of it.

over/under on number of responses before one of the itwillalwaysbeswttome crowd complains about how great the wall was and this is just one more example of txst ruining their history? 6 is my guess.

Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:02 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

That won't happen. Even the old SWT crowd hated that wall.

I would dare say that is the one UNIFYING thing about ALL Bobcat Alumni... Disdain for that wall.

Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:06 pm
True Bobcat Fan

TheRevSWT wrote:
That won't happen.

:roll: :roll: :roll:
there's not a single post that goes up where one of those asshats doesn't bitch about something and bash all things txst today. new dorms replacing shitholes everyone hated, beautiful new pac, moving up in the research world - doesn't matter how positive it is, it isn't what they had, so it's bad.

Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:17 pm
True Bobcat Fan

TheRevSWT wrote:

I would dare say that is the one UNIFYING thing about ALL Bobcat Alumni... Disdain for that wall.

I agree. When I walked in there for the first time after it opened (I think it was 1982) I thought it looked stupid.

Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:12 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

SWT84 wrote:
TheRevSWT wrote:

I agree. When I walked in there for the first time after it opened (I think it was 1982) I thought it looked stupid.

Agreed, I always thought the building was unfinished...which it was...but the discussion about the possibility of finishing it was driven by a weird theory that stated the wall was somehow structurally a barrier. It was always clear that the original design included the idea that the building would be "completed" someday. The disappointment is that it took 35 years to do the job. The AD was so inept for so long that we've had to wait til we were old to see the completion, and even older to see a competitive team call it home. I'm still waiting.

Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:20 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Saul Goodman wrote:
TheRevSWT wrote:
That won't happen.

:roll: :roll: :roll:
there's not a single post that goes up where one of those asshats doesn't bitch about something and bash all things txst today. new dorms replacing shitholes everyone hated, beautiful new pac, moving up in the research world - doesn't matter how positive it is, it isn't what they had, so it's bad.

And that isn't unique to TxSt... people just want to be mad a bitch about stuff, particularly on social media. The place I worked announced a bunch of park improvements getting underway. People should be happy about that. Instead, we get trolls bitching about traffic that it will generate (when has a park EVER generated significant traffic?!?). Oh, and bitching about how the growth is ruining the place... keeping in mind that almost without fail they are people that moved here within the last five years. They complain about the growth & traffic when they are the growth & traffic.

Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:32 am
True Bobcat Fan

bleed gold wrote:
And that isn't unique to TxSt...

not at all, but our alumni have a particular affinity to it because of the history. we could announce the hirings of nick saban, brad stevens, terry francona, move into the b12 and attaining tier 1 status and some jackass would still be posting "it will always be swt to me!"

Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:09 am