Hal Wasson and The Mess at Southlake 
True Bobcat Fan

Post Hal Wasson and The Mess at Southlake
Does anybody know what happened at SL Carroll?

From DMN

Southlake Carroll football coach Hal Wasson, who led his team to a 2011 state championship, has been placed on administrative leave while the district conducts a review of the football program, the district announced in a statement on Wednesday.
The review is being conducted by Southlake Carroll athletic director Darren Allman, assistant superintendents and the district's human resources department.
"Our review covers three main areas," the statement reads. "1. the culture of the football program as it compares to district expectations and the upholding of our core values; 2. our procedures as they relate to UIL rules; and 3. ensuring employees' understanding and compliance with district policies, practices and guidelines."
Carroll ISD said it has been in the contact with the UIL.
Wasson, Allman, and school board president Sheri Mills didn't immediately respond to requests for comment.
Parents at the school were sent an email about the investigation on Wednesday afternoon from superintendent David Faltys. The email consists mostly of the statement Carroll ISD released to media outlets but also asks parents not to comment.
"As we move forward, there will likely be rumors and misinformation circulating," the email read. "I wish that speculation and opinions wouldn't be shared without fact, but in this day and age we understand that is the nature of social media. I would ask you out of respect for all involved to refrain from comment during our review."
Wasson just finished his 11th season at Southlake Carroll, taking the team to a 10-4 record and the 6A regional finals. Carroll is 121-26 in Wasson's 11 years. He inherited the program in 2007 after Carroll won three state titles and head coach Todd Dodge left for North Texas.
Here is the information released by Carroll ISD:
Carroll ISD has been conducting an administrative review focused on several aspects of our Dragon football program. We have an outstanding history of excellence in this program but sometimes it is necessary for us to take a closer look at our operations and ensure that they are aligned with our core values and with the rules and regulations that go with high school athletics.
The review is being conducted by our Athletic Director, Assistant Superintendents and our Human Resources Department. Our priority will be taking care of kids and moving the program forward as we protect the tradition of Dragon athletics.
Our review covers three main areas:
the culture of the football program as it compares to district expectations and the upholding of our core values;
our procedures as they relate to UIL rules; and
ensuring employees' understanding and compliance with district policies, practices and guidelines.
At this time, we are working with the head coach of this program, as well as his staff, to identify any areas of concern that need to be addressed with the UIL, the School Board or administratively. Paid leave is standard procedure for this kind of review, which means our assistant coaches will continue to handle off-season football. At this point there have been no other administrative actions or decisions impacting staff or the program.
Carroll ISD takes this matter seriously and wants to be thorough in our review on behalf of our district, program and community. We have been in direct contact with the UIL to let them know of our ongoing review. Once completed, there will be a report of our findings shared with the UIL.

Last edited by VP98 on Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:22 pm
SuperCat

Post Re: Hal Wasson
Refrain from comment during their review? Yeah, sure, ok buddy. I bet the parents will honor that request. :roll:

Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:12 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

For those of you that haven't connected the dots, Hal Wasson is father to former TxSt QB Chase Wasson. He's a player that I wished would have turned out better.

I respectfully disagree with time on the internet being "wasted." I would've never known that a monkey would fall over after smelling his own, stinky finger if it wasn't for the glory of the internet.

Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:31 am
SuperCat

I heard about this as well but no one seems to be saying what the issue is. Certainly seems odd. My neighbor is one of the coaches, maybe i should finally drop by and introduce myself. :D

Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:14 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Rumor going around is that he was taking funds from football camps. That's against UIL rules:

https://www.uiltexas.org/files/athletics/offseason-nonschool-participation.pdf

In accordance to Section 1209 regarding non-school competition (leagues, camps, clinics,
clubs, tournaments, 7 on 7) coaches or a group of coaches:
The C&CR allows the following:
1) Can supervise facilities.
2) Can assist with organization to include, but not limited to: assignment of officials, helping to secure
facilities, development of schedules, scheduling of facilities, assisting with registration process, helping
to secure equipment.
3) Can assist the primary coordinator or point of contact with the selection of coaches, but cannot assign
coaches to teams.
4) Can assist the primary coordinator or point of contact with the selection of players, but cannot determine
who can play on what teams.
5) Can distribute information regarding the details of the non-school event for informational purposes.
Distribution of such materials should be in accordance to the policies and procedures of the local
school district regarding non-school activities.
6) Can collect registration fees for coordination purposes only. No checks may be made payable to
the school or the coach and no funds shall be deposited in any school or coaches account.

Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:35 am
True Bobcat Fan

bleed gold wrote:
For those of you that haven't connected the dots, Hal Wasson is father to former TxSt QB Chase Wasson. He's a player that I wished would have turned out better.

SLC is also a major program in Texas and this is their long time coach. This school is practically a household name in North Texas.

Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:44 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Voltronjacko wrote:
Rumor going around is that he was taking funds from football camps.

If that is the case, you'll likely see more school districts start taking similar actions. That type of activity is never an isolated incident.

I'm quite familiar with SLC... I went to Smithson Valley, and my alma mater got smoked by SLC twice in state championships. Plus both my brothers live near Southlake.

I respectfully disagree with time on the internet being "wasted." I would've never known that a monkey would fall over after smelling his own, stinky finger if it wasn't for the glory of the internet.

Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:29 am
True Bobcat Fan

VP98 wrote:
SLC is also a major program in Texas and this is their long time coach.

also a shady ass program that's already been busted for recruiting, and tons of smoke coming up about plenty of other stuff now that the ant hill has been kicked.

Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:07 pm
True Bobcat Fan

The latest...

The attorney for Southlake Carroll football coach Hal Wasson said that Wasson has no plans to resign and looks forward to the chance to defend himself and his program amid an investigation by Carroll ISD.

"We're not going to hide, happy to answer any questions," attorney Tiger Hanner said Friday in an interview. "The plan is to be back on the sideline for spring football."
Wasson, who led his team to the Class 5A Division I state championship in 2011, was placed on administrative leave while the school district conducts a review of the football program, Carroll ISD announced Wednesday in a statement.
"Coach Wasson was totally blindsided, devastated by this," Hanner said. "There have been no concerns voiced to him prior to this. The proverbial, 'It came out of left field' is completely appropriate in this one.
"We would have hoped that if the district had concerns, we could have just dealt with this administratively, rather than putting him on leave. I understand they have the right to do it, but the school district should have been sensitive to the fact that with a program like Southlake Carroll, that it is going to be headline news, not only in the Metroplex, but nationwide. He has always worked with the district, anything they had questions about, anything they wanted to do."
Wasson, 61, just finished his 11th season at Southlake Carroll, leading the team to a 10-4 record and the Class 6A Division II Region I final. Carroll is 121-26 in Wasson's tenure. He inherited the program in 2007 after Carroll had won three straight state titles under Todd Dodge, who left for North Texas.
Hanner said, "Since it is a pending investigation, Coach Wasson is not going to be doing any interviews or personal statements at this time."
When asked for comment about the situation, Carroll ISD assistant superintendent for board and community relations Julie Thannum said in an email: "Carroll ISD would like to complete the review and share our findings with the UIL before commenting much further out of fairness to all involved."
"When an employee is placed on administrative leave, it is the district's process to share the reasons with the employee verbally and in writing, and then the employee gets questioned about those reasons. These processes have already been followed."
Thannum said Carroll ISD is still completing the review and expects it will be about a week before the report to the UIL is finalized.
The review is being conducted by Carroll ISD athletic director Darren Allman, assistant superintendents and the district's human resources department.
"At this point, we have no idea why he is on administrative leave," Hanner said. "We hope that politics are not the reason, that this isn't somebody's personal agenda. We hope it's just simply questions about the program, and if that's what it is, we feel confident we can answer those."
Hanner said that Wasson has not been told how long the investigation might last. Carroll ISD announced that the review covers three main areas:
1. The culture of the football program as it compares to district expectations and the upholding of our core values.
2. Our procedures as they relate to UIL rules.
3. Ensuring employees' understanding and compliance with district policies, practices and guidelines.
Hanner also sent out a press release, in which he said, "While Coach Wasson is understandably embarrassed about being placed on involuntary leave, he actually welcomes the scrutiny of the Dragon program and his actions as head football coach."
The press release said that Wasson is imploring the Carroll community to not allow the investigation to become divisive.
"From the day he was hired as head football coach and boys athletic coordinator at Southlake Carroll, Coach Wasson has worked tirelessly to build a successful program founded on character, integrity and respect," Hanner said in a press release. "Over the past 11 years, the Southlake Carroll Dragons have enjoyed tremendous success on the playing field, and more importantly, Coach Wasson and his staff have always endeavored to do things the right way.
"I noticed that [Carroll ISD superintendent David] Faltys mentioned the importance of 'core values.' I can assure you that instilling 'core values' in his players is at the heart of everything Coach Wasson and his coaches do as a program every single day."

Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:51 pm
True Bobcat Fan

holy. shit.

i, for one, look forward to an all-out battle between the boosters and coaches of a big-time, entitled as fuck, richy-rich program that hasn't won shit in 10 yrs. thank god it's slc and not westlake.

Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:09 pm
SuperCat

VP98 wrote:
bleed gold wrote:

SLC is also a major program in Texas and this is their long time coach. This school is practically a household name in North Texas.

Not sure if I'd say he's their long time coach. When I think of SLC i think of todd dodge. As I'm sure most do. And SLC hasn't been relevant in a while. Other schools need to be investigated around here as well like Allen and Desoto. These schools are pretty shady up here.

Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:58 pm
True Bobcat Fan

LSU Bobcat wrote:
Not sure if I'd say he's their long time coach. When I think of SLC i think of todd dodge. As I'm sure most do.

same here, but the reality is that wasson has been at slc for 10 yrs and dodge was only there 7. i definitely had to look that up the other day, because it just didn't seem right.
LSU Bobcat wrote:
And SLC hasn't been relevant in a while.

in terms of winning state, maybe. but slc still dominates their district every year - from 2010 til now, they only have 5 district losses and those came in 3 seasons.

Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:51 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Saul Goodman wrote:
holy. shit.

i, for one, look forward to an all-out battle between the boosters and coaches of a big-time, entitled as fuck, richy-rich program that hasn't won shit in 10 yrs. thank god it's slc and not westlake.

Hell yes! There's a long list of programs in Texas that need a hard look. Lake Travis looks shady to me from the outside. When you look back at dominating HS programs in Texas, it seems like they almost always have an ugly skeleton or two hiding in the closet. Permian, Stephenville, Dallas Carter, etc. (recognizing these weren't richy-rich, but they were entitled).

Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:59 am
True Bobcat Fan

Post Re: Hal Wasson and The Mess at Southlake
SLC is still a powerhouse in North Texas. Just like with all of the "power house" schools in Texas, it's amazing how so many kids move (legitimately) to where they would legally be able to attend that school.

Our #1 OL at my son's HS just moved to Allen, so he can be on a powerhouse team.

~flag~ ~flag~
~flag~ ~flag~

Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:14 am
SuperCat

Post Re: Hal Wasson and The Mess at Southlake
I can't imagine in what universe they're still considered a powerhouse. A great team, sure. From what I understand their district is not very good when it comes to football. Schools from lewisville, flower mound, Carrollton, byron nelson etc.

Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:31 am