Hal Wasson and The Mess at Southlake 
True Bobcat Fan

Post Re: Hal Wasson and The Mess at Southlake
LSU Bobcat wrote:
I can't imagine in what universe they're still considered a powerhouse. A great team, sure.

not sure how you're reconciling these opposing sentiments. i'm not going to go back and look at their records again, but iirc, their losses in the playoffs have almost always been to a state finalist, if not champion. pretty sure they don't have a single wtf loss in the postseason. and look at all their big ood wins over that time as well - it's not like they only win in district play.
GMAN wrote:
Just like with all of the "power house" schools in Texas, it's amazing how so many kids move (legitimately) to where they would legally be able to attend that school.
meh - people choose where they live based on how good schools are academically, so no reason not to do so for sports as well. easier in some places than others - lake travis has a much more diverse housing market than westlake, for instance. especially when so many new families are coming in from oos - they do research and figure out where their kid is going to have the best experience and/or chance to go to college.

Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:37 am
True Bobcat Fan

There's drama everywhere this winter.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/d ... story.html

Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:07 am
True Bobcat Fan

Saul Goodman wrote:
GMAN wrote:
Just like with all of the "power house" schools in Texas, it's amazing how so many kids move (legitimately) to where they would legally be able to attend that school.
meh - people choose where they live based on how good schools are academically, so no reason not to do so for sports as well. easier in some places than others - lake travis has a much more diverse housing market than westlake, for instance. especially when so many new families are coming in from oos - they do research and figure out where their kid is going to have the best experience and/or chance to go to college.

May be the case in the Austin area or from people coming from out of town. But, there are a lot of athletes that will move to Allen or other powerhouse districts purely to play in a winning/playoff team. I have firsthand knowledge of 4 kids moving away from one of the Plano schools to Allen for no other reason that getting exposure to play football in college. Plano and Allen are right next to each other.

~flag~ ~flag~
~flag~ ~flag~

Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:13 am
True Bobcat Fan

Out of curiosity, how much "recruiting" is done by Texas high schools? When I was growing up in the Minneapolis suburbs, there were a few towns populated by scores of executives of General Mills, Cargill, and Pillsbury. Those companies all had production facilities all over the Midwest. If, for example, a Cargill employee in Omaha had a stud athlete for a son, arrangements were made to transfer the dad to headquarters until the kid finished school. Between 1966 and 1968, Edina High school's basketball team ran off 69 straight wins and 3 state championships. Roughly half of those players were transferred in from elsewhere in the country.

Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:29 am
True Bobcat Fan

GMAN wrote:
Saul Goodman wrote:
GMAN wrote:

May be the case in the Austin area or from people coming from out of town. But, there are a lot of athletes that will move to Allen or other powerhouse districts purely to play in a winning/playoff team. I have firsthand knowledge of 4 kids moving away from one of the Plano schools to Allen for no other reason that getting exposure to play football in college. Plano and Allen are right next to each other.

~flag~ ~flag~
~flag~ ~flag~

When I was in 8th grade the hs I was going to the next year won state. The QBs family had moved into a rent house in our neighborhood and moved out after he graduated.

Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:39 am
True Bobcat Fan

GMAN wrote:
But, there are a lot of athletes that will move to Allen or other powerhouse districts purely to play in a winning/playoff team.

so what? it's not like those are crap schools and they are sacrificing academics for athletics.

Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:12 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Saul Goodman wrote:
GMAN wrote:
But, there are a lot of athletes that will move to Allen or other powerhouse districts purely to play in a winning/playoff team.

so what? it's not like those are crap schools and they are sacrificing academics for athletics.

Dude...seriously. I agree with you from an academics perspective, but the kids that are moving to to get more football exposure at a powerhouse school are not transferring for a better education.

But back to SLC, who thinks Todd Dodge will be back coaching at SLC in the next 2 years?

~flag~ ~flag~
~flag~ ~flag~

Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:51 pm
True Bobcat Fan

GMAN wrote:
Dude...seriously. I agree with you from an academics perspective, but the kids that are moving to to get more football exposure at a powerhouse school are not transferring for a better education.

:::philosophical discussion:::

and so what? we all make decisions for the best future of our family, right? if moving to a specific school gives your son a better chance at playing college football, why is that a bad thing? why is athletics, especially when it comes w/ free education, not a legitimate way to better oneself? it's literally the reason we're all on this board today! :lol:

my best friend in hs was a borderline d1 hockey player, and not exactly on track to be a rhodes scholar, but not stupid by any stretch. left our school after his jr year and did 2 years at prep school in an effort to play d1 - about 70% of d1 hockey players play private/prep school. he played d1, but in the g5/fcs equivalent. i have 2 dozen plus other examples of friends who went to prep school or a specific school to better their college options - for sports or academics.

if i bought a house in disd (aisd) when i was a newlywed and that's what i could afford, but 15yrs later, and my son is 6', 170# and a legit player as a 7th grader, why is it bad if i want to move to allen (westlake) or southlake (lake travis) so he can play big time texas ball? or if i live in a 6 man town and want to move to celina or cuero or stephenville?

GMAN wrote:
But back to SLC, who thinks Todd Dodge will be back coaching at SLC in the next 2 years?

dodge isn't going anywhere.

1) why would he trade richy rich school in austin for richy rich school in dallas? atx > big d
2) his father in law was ebbbie neptune (westlake hc, then ad for 22yrs, rip), and his wife grew up in westlake.
3) westlake parents/politics >>> slc parents/politics
4) ut alum and i think he likes having a direct connection to the program after being somewhat estranged for a while.

Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:10 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Well that's good. I hope he doesn't leave Westlake, but I had heard a rumor that he wasn't happy and was getting fed up being there.

Just like the 80's/90's NFL i like having powerhouse teams that you know will be a top team year after year. Houston, Austin and Dallas has them in 6A, I wish San Antonio was on that mix. We have those powerhouse in 5A-2A, it's just not talked about as much.

I'm sure Westlake fans are so happy that their former QB is a Superbowl MVP!

~flag~ ~flag~
~flag~ ~flag~

Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:39 am
True Bobcat Fan

GMAN wrote:
I'm sure Westlake fans are so happy that their former QB is a Superbowl MVP!

for the 2nd time! remember that drew brees is a former chap as well. and 3 super bowl winners w/ justin tucker in baltimore - i want to say that only houston yates has more sb winners in texas, w/ 4.

Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:54 am
True Bobcat Fan

SUMMER CAMPS, ILLEGAL COACHING AMONG UIL VIOLATIONS BY SOUTHLAKE CARROLL FOOTBALL

The "summary of findings" detailed four main areas that school officials believe run afoul of UIL standards:

1. Infractions dealing with how the football program ran summer camps, and other camps for incoming students, including football camps held on prohibited dates.

2. Carroll football coaches were also confirmed to have instructed athletes outside of the school day during the offseason, another violation.

3. Sub-varsity Carroll football players participated in workouts on the same day they were set to play in a game.

4. Some Southlake coaches under contract with other districts were found to be working with the football team before they were officially part of the Southlake staff.

Corrective action recommended in the review included a communication plan between the coaching staff and Carroll ISD's athletic director, an annual audit of summer camp schedules and furthering coach education on UIL guidelines.

While none of the violations are seemingly earth-shattering individually, Caroll ISD must now decide what to do next with Wasson. He has coached the Dragons since 2007 and led the team to the 2011 Class 5A Division I state championship.

In all, Carroll has won eight state championships in football, tied for the most in the state.

Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:39 pm
SuperCat

Just heard on the local news Wasson stepped down or was fired. Like Saul said, Dodge probably isn't going anywhere. But who knows, SLC might throw money at him.

Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:25 pm
True Bobcat Fan

dodge makes $15k more than wasson was, so how much more to moneywhip him? i'll stand by my guess that he stays in westlake. but, i'll admit that i have friends w/ the dfw coaching community who think it's happening, so there's that.

Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:28 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Carroll ISD will pay Wasson $165,300.26 within 10 days of his resignation date, which is March 1st. Wasson is to remain on administrative leave until that date. The settlement number is the remainder of what Wasson was owed on his contract for this year and next.

According to documents obtained by the The News via open records requests, Wasson signed a contract extension in May that covered the 2017-18 and 2018-19 school years. He was scheduled to make a little over $117,400 during the 2017-2018 school year, according to the documents.

The agreement also states that Carroll ISD superintendent David Faltys is required to provide a letter of reference and he is the only one from the district allowed to do so.

same info, different source: http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/dfw ... 08584.html

Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:38 pm
True Bobcat Fan

@CBS11BillJones
Sources say Southlake Carroll AD Darren Allman told the team in a meeting today that former SF 49ers Head Coach & Pro Football Hall of Famer Mike Singletary called to inquire about the Dragons head coaching vacancy.

ImageImageImageImageImage

Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:34 pm