UCF - The True National Champs 
Bobcat Wannabe

Post Re: UCF - The True National Champs
Understandably, money speaks the loudest.

The bowl system wants teams playing each other that have the greatest national exposure and will guarantee the best ticket sales, merchandise sales, and ratings. They also don't want the G5's winning over the P5's, which is why they are rarely scheduled to play in the same bowl.

The system is fixed to give the P5's the biggest advantage possible, which is also one of the main reason why the P5's almost never expand to include schools like Troy, UCF, Houston, or Boise as it might hurt the record of some of the more 'traditional' teams if they were ever included in a P5.

Only example I can think of in recent memory is Utah going from MWC to the Pac 12. TCU went from MWC to Big 12 as they were previously in the SWC and the Big 12 was in need of more members after UT drove out four schools.

Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:05 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Maybe it's just me, but 1 16 team playoff seems unnecessary and dumb for the mere fact that all conferences are not the same. So a conference champ of say... CUSA (or MAC or Sun Belt) is nowhere near the same as the champ of the SEC.

So if the conferences aren't the same, why should they be treated the same?

Since logically the conferences aren't the same, I'd rather see them work on the ranking process, and simply take the top 8 teams (yeah, I'd like a top 8 or even 12 team playoff) for the playoffs.

Simple and easy.

Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:24 pm
True Bobcat Fan

TheRevSWT wrote:
Since logically the conferences aren't the same, I'd rather see them work on the ranking process, and simply take the top 8 teams

if that's how they did it, ucf still wouldn't have made it in this year.
LT Spider wrote:
Take every p5 champ and 3 at large. At least one at large spot goes to a GO5 team.

this is the best fantasy playoff solution i've seen suggested so far. here's the last 5 teams that would have represented g5:

2012 12-1 northern illinois - loss to iowa in season opener, lost to fsu in orange bowl
2013 12-1 ucf - loss to south carolina, beat baylor in fiesta bowl
2014 11-2 boise st - losses to ole miss and air force, beat arizona in fiesta bowl
....or 12-1 marshall - loss to wku, beat niu in boca raton bowl
2015 12-1 houston - loss to uconn, beat florida state in peach bowl
2016 13-0 western michigan - undefeated, lost to wisconsin in cotton bowl

all of those are respectable 8 seeds (none even close to being ranked #8 in wk15 ap poll), and all scheduled legit p5 teams - uh beat louisville and vanderbilt, wmu beat illinois and northwestern.

now just figure out a way to deal w/ the lost revenue and you've got a winner!

Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:37 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

To a general fan of college football, they wouldn't care if a G5 gets into the playoffs.

Requiring one team from G5 a spot can reasonably mean that a more deserving team doesn't get in. That's no bueno.

The "National Champion" for FBS football is a farce anyway, given the absolutely absurd gap in spending between the tops of FBS and the lowest. I'd almost rather say "fuck it" and just go straight bowls, forgetting the playoffs, and re-do it as conference seeding (Sun Belt 1 vs. CUSA 1, etc).

Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:15 pm
True Bobcat Fan

even though i don't agree w/ the premise that ucf is the nat'l champion, i'm loving their twitter game right now, and think it's badass that they are holding a parade and acting like they won the whole thing.

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2018/01/ucf-cen ... peach-bowl

Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:07 pm
Junior Bobcat

Saul, you should go read the AAC forum. There are some amazing points being made in regards to their claim.

One of my favorites is the fact that several teams throughout history have claimed national championships without winning shit. Alabama has at least 2 claimed championships that are completely bogus. Including, a year that they finished 9-2 ranked number 20 in the AP poll.

So, if other teams including bama are able to do it, why not UCF? Especially since UCF has a much more legitimate argument.

For me, it all goes back to the subjective way we have been deciding championships. All we would have to do is go to a system that rewards on field performance and results instead of subjective perception based on name, money, and previous results in prior years.

Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:23 pm
True Bobcat Fan

not sure if you thought my last post was sarcastic, but it was not at all. i do love the fact that ucf is claiming the title, and especially the fact that they are trolling the shit out of cfb along the way. no one else will recognize it, but they should. live your best life, ucf. fuck the haters! (including me)

Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:34 am
True Bobcat Fan

I love it. Bama, A&M, and others have done it so why not. There isn't a "true" champion anyway. The fact the Bama made the 4 team playoff is a joke. Mix that with crybaby Saban flipflopping on if teams that didn't play in the conference championship should be in or not and its comedy gold.

Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:48 am
Junior Bobcat

I don't understand why any G5 team fan would be against UCF claiming the title.

It causes a big headache for the establishment and brings attention to the major bias towards the P5 and the inaccessibility of the national championship for the G5. It also calls attention to the fact that we still decide the champion based on subjective perception vs on field results from year to year.

Plus, if one day Texas State goes undefeated, this lays the groundwork to give us access to the championship so that we have the opportunity to play it out on the field.

Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:43 pm
True Bobcat Fan

I have been preaching my solution for years. For some with an ego, its a hard pill to swallow, but, "you are what you are".

2 PLAYOFF BRACKETS (Both are 6 team brackets)
Bracket#1
Consists of the Conference Champions of the Power 5 Conferences and one at-large team.
Teams #1 & 2 get a 1st week Bye
Team # 3 plays Team #6
Team #4 plays Team #5
Next week-
Team # 1 plays Winner of 4vs5
Team #4 plays Winner of 3vs6
Championship Game (two remaining teams)

Bracket #2
Consists of the Conference Champions of the "Forgotten 5" Conferences and one at-large team.
Team # 3 plays Team #6
Team #4 plays Team #5
Next week-

The pill to swallow is that there are two separate divisions of the conferences. EVEN THOUGH, we all know where everyone falls as an upper and lower conference.

~flag~ ~flag~
~flag~ ~flag~

Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:07 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

If we were all UCF fans or if we swapped out UCF for TXST in this situation; I’d be loving the way the school is handling this! (Disclaimer: I would never expect Teis to be doing ever in his lifetime if the situation were to happen)

BakerTXST04 wrote:
The system is fixed to give the P5's the biggest advantage possible, which is also one of the main reason why the P5's almost never expand to include schools like Troy, UCF, Houston, or Boise as it might hurt the record of some of the more 'traditional' teams if they were ever included in a P5.

This .....times 1000!
TXSTRiverBobcat wrote:
I don't understand why any G5 team fan would be against UCF claiming the title.
It causes a big headache for the establishment and brings attention to the major bias towards the P5 and the inaccessibility of the national championship....
Plus, if one day Texas State goes undefeated, this lays the groundwork to give us access to the championship so that we have the opportunity to play it out on the field.

This ..... to the millionth power!

Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:49 pm
True Bobcat Fan

It's been hinted at here, but getting to an 8-team playoff wouldn't be that difficult.
5 spots to P5 conference champions, highest rated G5 team, 2 highest rated remaining teams. Seed them 1 through 8, can even keep the current rating system for seeding. The upset factor is the biggest reason people love March Madness. People love seeing a 14 seed take down a 3 seed. You don't get that with the current format, but an 8 team playoff you could.

This year's playoff could have been (CFB Playoff ranking in parentheses):

1. Clemson (1)
8. UCF (12)

4. Alabama (4)
5. Ohio State (5)

3. Georgia (3)
6. Wisconsin (6)

2. Oklahoma (2)
7. USC (8)

Sure Auburn, Penn State, Miami, etc. would still be bitching, but you can't tell me that 8 team playoff wouldn't be funner than the current 4-team system.

Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:25 pm
Junior Bobcat

I've gone back and forth on what I would like to see happen, but I think I've finally decided that I want the NCAA to take over and have a sanctioned post season.

All national champions from then on would be determined by on field results. No bitching by any other team that didn't win, and no game/mythical national champions crowned.

This is an excerpt from the college football playoff Wikipedia page.

"The College Football Playoff is not an officially sanctioned championship event by the NCAA, the sport's governing body. Consequently, Division I FBS football is the only NCAA sport in which a yearly national champion is not determined by an NCAA event, nor is an official NCAA national championship awarded."

To me, this is the true problem with the FBS post season.

Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:52 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

GMAN wrote:
I have been preaching my solution for years. For some with an ego, its a hard pill to swallow, but, "you are what you are".

2 PLAYOFF BRACKETS (Both are 6 team brackets
Bracket #2
Consists of the Conference Champions of the "Forgotten 5" Conferences and one at-large team.
Team # 3 plays Team #6
Team #4 plays Team #5
Next week-

The pill to swallow is that there are two separate divisions of the conferences. EVEN THOUGH, we all know where everyone falls as an upper and lower

I wouldn't consider myself as having an ego or having a hard time seeing the way things are... But this plan just exemplifies the segregation of P5 vs. F5. All I want equal opportunity. Hell - I'll gladly take a English style conference promotion/relegation vs the crock of shit we have today if it gave us so called lower schools a opportunity.

In my opinion each cfb year should be judged based solely on the years performance, not the history or tradition of the school, the conference affiliation, strength of the schedule based on competitive conference peers, the money the fan base earns and the spending they do when traveling. All play a part in today's flawed system.
Hell - who cares to see Bama vs Clemson for part 4 in 2018? :evil: I as hell do not, however that's where we stand, each year with the same damn schools in the playoff; fat cats getting richer.

TXSTRiverBobcat wrote:
I've finally decided that I want the NCAA to take over and have a sanctioned post season. All national champions from then on would be determined by on field results. No bitching by any other team that didn't win, and no game/mythical national champions crowned.

I agree.

Does anyone else remember back when the CFB playoffs were starting and the advertising commercials gave everyone the "Who's In" false sense of equality each year. :lol:

1. Give me a 10 team playoff of all the conference winners - making the conference championship relevant again. You could possibly add 2 wild cards if 12 teams provides balance to a tournament and provide the inclusion of the "independents". **If the P5s complain that they have a harder road to the title then (getting really crazy) creating two new conferences with more regional fits to create two more opportunities. :lol:

2. Then draw match ups via a lottery system (all things equal); no rankings because even that is subjective.
Sure there will the occasional strength vs weak match up; however it is settled on the field and earned; not by some stupid bias on a committee of P5 commissioners, former P5 coaches and P5 alumni.

3. Have conference runner ups and 6+ Wins teams play in today's bowl system to keep those traditions alive.

Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:29 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Split the difference with a six team playoff maybe? P5 champs plus one wildcard from G5 or another strong P5 in the event a G5 team is obviously a paper tiger. Top 2 teams get byes. Just a thought.

I just kind of figured 'what does moose milk taste like?' was in everyone's Google search history somewhere.

Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:33 am