UCF - The True National Champs 
Junior Bobcat

Post UCF - The True National Champs
I think they proved it today. One things for sure, no one can disprove it.

We clearly have a broken system that prevents a true national champion from being crowned by results on the field. We have a "committee" of people that decide the national champion each year. Several of which, don't have any real football knowledge.

What needs to be done to fix this broken system? And don't say an 8 team playoff, because UCF still wouldn't have made it.

Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:21 pm
Junior Bobcat

Post Re: UCF - The True National Champs
I think its should be a 16 team playoff. Those teams should be the 10 conference champs plus the next 6 best teams. In the first round the "p5" champs face against the "g5" champs (ie big xii camp vs conference usa champ). The remaining three games will be the other 6 teams playing against each other. These playoffs can still be bowl games so you're not removing that aspect of he post season. I just don't see how this would be a losing option for the ncaa. I think it would make the game way more interesting and bring in new fans from the supposed smaller programs.

Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:32 pm
True Bobcat Fan

TXSTRiverBobcat wrote:

sos can disprove it pretty easily.
f4: 7, 25, 34, 57
sagarin: 83
they have wins over two 10 win teams, but both of those teams are in-conference and have weak sos as well.

sorry (not sorry), but ucf isn't better than the f4, tosu, wisky, or penn st. happy to say ucf is the #8 team in the country...maybe...50/50 vs miami.

TXSTRiverBobcat wrote:
What needs to be done to fix this broken system?

it's not a broken system. the system is perfect for a 4 team playoff.

if you want fair, you want a 16 team playoff.
1) that will never happen, so give it up
2) pointless, because a #9 team doesn't have a legit chance at an fbs championship in that format.

Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:46 pm
Junior Bobcat

Strength of schedule doesn't disprove shit. Before Alabama played Auburn, their sos was in the 70's. Then they lost to Auburn. Their sos went way up, but they had a loss.

The only reason they got in is because of their name and the perception that their one loss was better than the 2 losses Ohio State had. Well, UCF went undefeated and went on to beat the only team in the country to have beaten both Alabama and Georgia, the 2 teams in the championship now.

The system is broken because the only team to have a legitimate argument for being national champs never got to prove it on the field. So while you can't prove that they would have won the championship if they had gotten in over Alabama or Ohio State, you also can't disprove it.

I stand by my statement. Even more so now that Georgia and Alabama are the 2 teams playing in the championship. UCF is the only undefeated FBS team at the end of the season and the true national champions.

Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:12 am
True Bobcat Fan

TXSTRiverBobcat wrote:
The system is broken because the only team to have a legitimate argument for being national champs

there is no such thing as an fbs football national champion for the ncaa. only the mythical national championship. so, if you want a true national championship, you need to also want the 16 team playoff. you're not getting any of it, but you should at least wish correctly.

Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:46 am
True Bobcat Fan

Quote:
It’s really not that complicated: schedule matters. By dint of a soft non-conference schedule and of being in the AAC, UCF didn’t play a ranked team until the conference title game (and even that win over No. 20 Memphis required two overtimes). UCF had beaten everybody, but they hadn’t beaten anybody.

https://deadspin.com/ucf-deserves-a-sho ... 1821702430

Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:33 am
Bobcat Wannabe

I think basketball handles it the best as far as a tournament, or playoff, whatever you want to call it goes. I think every conference champion should have a chance to play for a national title. Let a committee decide the rest of the teams to get in based on whatever stats they want whether it be SoS or anything else that is quantifiable and can be correlated to how good a team is.

Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:41 am
BF.com Elite Sponsor

I used to have more sympathy for G5s left out in the cold. That has become less so now, as they (and their conference mates) haven't done themselves favors with scheduling. That is largely why we were left out in the cold when we were bowl eligible and why UTSA was left out in the cold this season. Given UCF's geographic location, there's really no excuse.

Applying what is essentially a FCS playoff model to FBS makes too much sense for the purpose of crowning a true NC. The catch is that FBS doesn't really want that--deep down they like the mythical NC.

I respectfully disagree with time on the internet being "wasted." I would've never known that a monkey would fall over after smelling his own, stinky finger if it wasn't for the glory of the internet.

Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:13 pm
True Bobcat Fan

bleed gold wrote:
The catch is that FBS doesn't really want that--deep down they like the mythical NC.

couple of different "they"s involved here...

they = espn. the mouse owns 14 bowl games outright, and airs almost all the others (35/40), so they love the money, no question about it.

they = bowls. bowl games are huge business for airlines, hotels, cities, and the people that work them.

they = fbs coaches/programs. the additional month of practice and the recruiting/fan boost of being able to say you went to a bowl, or won a bowl, is what really matters to 75% of the teams that go bowling.

if we had the same system for fbs as fcs, that's 26 bowls that go away and 52 teams that end their season before finals.

*please excuse any math/counting errors - wouldn't shock me if i was off a number anywhere above.

edited for accuracy, courtesy of phrattyphatphat.

Last edited by Saul Goodman on Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:43 pm
True Bobcat Fan

TXSTRiverBobcat wrote:

We clearly have a broken system that prevents a true national champion from being crowned by results on the field. We have a "committee" of people that decide the national champion each year. Several of which, don't have any real football knowledge.

What needs to be done to fix this broken system? And don't say an 8 team playoff, because UCF still wouldn't have made it.

All valid points, but I would say the system is rigged instead of broken.

Well, one could argue 'broken' is another way to say 'rigged. It's simply favors P5 schools that profit the most. In short: those select schools that sell the most t-shirts and make the most profits for the networks (mainly ESPN).

If the 'committee' had their way, it would be UT vs Ohio State , USC vs Alabama, Michigan vs LSU, etc. every stinking year.

My hat goes off to UCF. Great season, and yes, it's sad they won't get a shot at the national title.

Last edited by runner-man on Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:01 pm
SuperCat

It doesn't matter how many teams are in the playoffs, every year someone is going to feel they got left out.

Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:01 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Saul Goodman wrote:
*please excuse any math/counting errors - wouldn't shock me if i was off a number anywhere above.

indeed. it's almost like you purposely allowed for your own can of worms. 26*2 =52 teams left out. corporate accounting 101. while logic may not be my forte as you like to point out, certainly elementary arithmetic must be mine and not yours. maffs hard though anyway. but i do agree that it will not ever go to a 16 team playoff and definitely never a 64. 16 team playoff would mean they would have to either cut the season another 2 games short or extend another 2 which would mean a team who won the championship that was in a conf with its own championship game would have would play 17 games (excuse my math if that is wrong). i do, however, love the idea of a 16 team playoff becuase that would mean that within the next 5 seasons we could be within the realm of possiblity in that number. no way the p5s would agree to have the g5 winners as a 'clincher' of 1 of the 10 seeds. they would argue their conf #2-4 are better than all of the g5 #1s

Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:49 pm
True Bobcat Fan

or, just a typo. but good lookin' out anyway!

Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:19 pm
Junior Bobcat

LSU Bobcat wrote:
It doesn't matter how many teams are in the playoffs, every year someone is going to feel they got left out.

Yes, but just because they feel like they got left out, doesn't mean that they deserved a shot.

Ohio State for example, feels like they got left out this year, but they lost 2 games. It's easy to say, you didn't take care of business on the field and so you don't get a chance to play for the national championship.

However, you can't say that about UCF. They took care of business on the field during the season and their conference championship, then proved they were actually that good in their bowl game.

I am fine with a 16 team playoff if it means that a situation like this never plays out again.

PS- get rid of the damn committee! It's completely corrupt and full of people that have no business ranking teams.

Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:06 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Haven't heard my idea discussed, which probably means that it sucks, but I will toss it out there anyway.

Take every p5 champ and 3 at large. At least one at large spot goes to a GO5 team. An 8 team playoff seems doable and eliminates a lot of the butt hurt about being left out. People will always bitch about not making it but the 9th team in the country probably has more blemishes than the 5 team. Having a GO5 team in it each year will help the little guys feel that they are playing for something rather than know they can never win it all even if they go undefeated.

Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:51 pm