Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 ENSD 12/20/2017 
True Bobcat Fan

Post Re: ENSD 12/20/2017
we have until friday to sign as many as we can, and then there is no more signing until nsd2, the first weds in feb (2/7). two distinct/separate signing periods.

there's also a lack of agreement on what the total number of signees will be at the end. i think it's going to be more like 27 or 28, but am in the minority.

Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:47 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Saul Goodman wrote:
@Keff_C
I've been told #TXST doesn't expect to sign anymore players today. Signed 18 of 23 pledges, including eight of nine committed 3-star recruits.

Interesting...

There could be a few reasons...

1. Some may feel they can get a better offer after state championship game (or are being messaged to not sign because an offer may come)
2. Some may need to finish up their grades (SAT/ACT test scores) to meet academic requirements and TXST will not sign until that is done (consider some may not have had a chance to take a fall SAT/ACT exam over weekend due to playoffs... another way this early signing period can affect the signing of players)
3. Some may be concerned with ships given out to certain positions (like say WR comes to mind with 4 commits and only 3 sign)

If we only signed 18 out of 23 and expect 25 minimum ships, we have 7 still to recruit for. Those positions would likely still be 1 OL, 1 NT, 1 CB and 1 S and I still think adding 1 JC TE and/or 1 JC DE would be nice to fill out depth. Anything left, take best available talent.

One thing I've been wanting to mention is that depth should not be an excuse anymore after this class going into 2018 season. With that in mind, Withers needs to finish the class with depth at most positions (3 minimum players on ship at every position). For some positions that may be the "Pair" but for most positions it should be the "Spare" as well.

My point being there is no need to have another season our DL is down to walk-ons and burning redshirts and the same for most positions on team. Fill this class with what is needed to compete now. I'm not saying go heavy on JC players but players at certain need positions make sense to me (2-3 at most).

Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:52 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Saul Goodman wrote:
we have until friday to sign as many as we can, and then there is no more signing until nsd2, the first weds in feb (2/7). two distinct/separate signing periods.

there's also a lack of agreement on what the total number of signees will be at the end. i think it's going to be more like 27 or 28, but am in the minority.

Here you go Saul! I must say... I'm impressed on your 28 number. Usually you don't keep up with it. How did you get 28 ships? Just wondering.

https://twitter.com/Keff_C/status/943554220912971777

Keff Ciardello‏
@Keff_C 2m2 minutes ago
#TXST is looking to fill up to ten more spots for the 2018 class.

Even more of reason to bring in what will help us now and doubling up at certain key positions.

Last edited by Bobkat34 on Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:53 pm
True Bobcat Fan

looks like keff agrees w/ me on the final number

https://twitter.com/Keff_C/status/943554220912971777
@Keff_C
#TXST is looking to fill up to ten more spots for the 2018 class.
Quote:
How many more scholarship spots does Texas State have open in addition to the recruits who didn't sign today?

Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:54 pm
True Bobcat Fan

quick work bk34! :lol:

keff originally replied that in another thread, deleted the reply and made another tweet out of it, so i had multiple edits trying to get it right.

Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:59 pm
True Bobcat Fan

The new signing period has me thinking how much it matter during coaching changes. Fran talked to Larry about stepping down in early December. Larry told him to think about it for two weeks. Fran left in the dead period. Withers wasn't hired until after the New Year. That recruiting class wasn't horrible but wasn't ideal. It forces ADs to be more decisive and fire during the season. You can look at UL as an example of what happens when your coach is fired after the season and a new one is put in place last week. They had no one sign today. They are now far behind in the recruiting cycle because you have a bunch of players that can no longer be flipped.

Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:43 pm
True Bobcat Fan

I read half your post and was ready to use the Cajuns as an example but you beat me to it.

A couple things with this early signing period:
A. Teams without a head coach are screwed.
B. Has to be tough for coaching staffs still coaching at this point. I read last week how La Tech was planning to set up a war room in the conference room at their hotel today before coaching in the Frisco Bowl tonight. Long day for those guys.
C. Players that are still playing may be more focused on their playoff runs than their recruiting still.

Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:20 pm
SuperCat

Seems like a good day for Texas State football. I was curious how G5 schools would do today. Hope no issues with Brandon Johnson. He’s the only juco on board and personally think he starts next season at safety.

Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:28 pm
True Bobcat Fan

anyone know what happened w/ gast today? they jumped ahead of us on 247 for a couple of hours, and i *think* i saw them w/ more 3* than us (but not 100% sure on that), and now they are back down below us w/ fewer 3* than us.

https://247sports.com/Season/2018-Footb ... erence=SBC

also of note: not only did they not sign anyone today, utep doesn't have a single verbal commitment. ouch.

Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:49 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

https://t.co/4rjMppYoaT

The five recruits that didn’t sign on Wednesday were three-star wide receiver August Pitre (Opelousas, Louisiana/Northwest High School), two-star safety Brandon Johnson (Tyler/Tyler Junior College), two-star offensive lineman Peyton Fifield (The Woodlands/The Woodlands High School), two-star defensive tackle Nathalohn Nanai (Killeen/Shoemaker High School) and two-star cornerback Taj Bickham (Allen/Allen High School).

Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:06 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Saul Goodman wrote:
anyone know what happened w/ gast today? they jumped ahead of us on 247 for a couple of hours, and i *think* i saw them w/ more 3* than us (but not 100% sure on that), and now they are back down below us w/ fewer 3* than us.

https://247sports.com/Season/2018-Footb ... erence=SBC

also of note: not only did they not sign anyone today, utep doesn't have a single verbal commitment. ouch.

Sounds like they had multiple guys downgraded today when they signed. At least two guys dropped from 3-stars to 2-stars.

Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:57 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Lets take a look at the signees and their physical numbers:

-OL Morgan Moore 6'5/260 I am a little surprised he's listed at 260 (280 on 24/7 profile)
-WR Jacoby Hopkins 6'0/200
-DB Pierce Withers 5'11/195
-DB CJ Johnson 6'0/180
-TE Seth Caillouet 6'3/225
-K Chris Kessler 5'9/170
-WR TJ Graham 6'1/175
-WR Jah'Mare Sheread 5'7/170
-OL Miles Macadory 6'4/290
-CB Jarron Morris 5'8/150
-OL Kylar Cooks 6'5/270
-QB Tyler Vitt 6'1/200
-OL Jalen Momerelle 6'4/300
-DB Ladarius Anthony 5'10/150
-WR Blake Aragon 6'5/195
-TE Jackson Lanam 6'4/225
-DL Dotson Schaefer 6'4/235
-DL Jacob Lynch 6'5/?

From what I can remember from the videos of these guys, I like what I've seen from about all of them but we likely haven't see all their senior highlights. I like OL Moore and Cooks at they are quite athletic OL and the other two are quite physical. The WRs are just as impressive with speed and/or ability to catch ball. QB Vitt may have been a steal late and the DBs will be competing for reps... maybe not starting but reps definitely. The TEs and K are the harder ones to know what we are getting and DL is still a little light with Schaefer and Lynch aren't Patton type ready so I think a JC DE would be helpful.

I have a feeling the February signing day will be even more fun! Especially with 10 ships to play with... hopefully we can hold on the 5 commits but we'll see.

Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:08 pm
True Bobcat Fan

Bobkat34 wrote:
I have a feeling the February signing day will be even more fun! Especially with 10 ships to play with... hopefully we can hold on the 5 commits but we'll see.

I'll be interested to see how things play out in the end for the teams like TXST/App St/Ga St who signed the bulk of their classes today vs. the ULL/USA/GS contingent that are basically doing things the old way. Granted he's only been there a week but Billy Napier said he wouldn't sign a single guy today at ULL.

I'd like to think it benefits us. We have 65% of our class wrapped up. We should really be able to put our focus on a smaller group of guys we really want to pursue. Here's to hoping we can pull off a few steals.

Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:19 pm
True Bobcat Fan

x wrote:
We should really be able to put our focus on a smaller group of guys we really want to pursue.

been thinking about this today. has to be the biggest benefit to getting as much of your class as possible inked on nsd1: redistribute assets and re-engage your targets. coordinators and hc can be utilized more on fewer recruits, position coach can double up w/ area recruiter, etc. the more you sign today, the fewer holes to fill, the better your coach:recruit ratio is.

Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:53 pm
BF.com Elite Sponsor

Saul Goodman wrote:
been thinking about this today. has to be the biggest benefit to getting as much of your class as possible inked on nsd1: redistribute assets and re-engage your targets. coordinators and hc can be utilized more on fewer recruits, position coach can double up w/ area recruiter, etc. the more you sign today, the fewer holes to fill, the better your coach:recruit ratio is.

That benefit cannot be understated. It's huge.

The big boys HATE this early signing day. It severely hampers their ability to poach from G5 schools to fill out their class in February.

Saban: "I see more players getting pressured by some schools to sign early so that they don't get an opportunity from maybe a bigger school later, which I don't think is in the player's best interest, because a guy may have an opportunity to go to a place that he's always wanted to go to, or an SEC school, and he's getting pressured by somebody else to sign early." http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/index.ssf/2017/12/nick_saban_unloads_on_his_prob.html

Suck it, Saban.

Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:20 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next